By Bashir Bello
KATSINA — The Federal High Court sitting in Katsina, yesterday, adjourned till October 15 and 16 for trial of former governor of Katsina State, Shehu Ibrahim Shema, over alleged laundering of N5.7 billion SURE-P funds.
The case was filed against the former governor by Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC.
The presiding judge, Justice Babagana Ashigar, adjourned the case after intense arguments by the legal counsel of the defendant, Joseph Daudu, SAN and that of EFCC, Samuel Okutepa, SAN.
The defence counsel, Joseph Daudu, SAN, pleaded with the court to adjourn the sitting to enable it resolve a case of jurisdiction, noting that the prosecution filed a similar case in two different courts, which raised the issue of jurisdiction.
Daudu also argued that Nasiru Ingawa standing trial on the same case at the state high court could not be witness on the same case at the Federal High Court, saying it was a violation and an abuse of court process which should not be accepted by the court.
He said: “There is a case pending before a state High Court on the same SURE-P funds for which he is standing trial. Without waiting for the High Court case to finish, they have come to the Federal High Court. It is abuse of court process.’’
On the other hand, the prosecution counsel, Samuel Okutepa, SAN, challenged argument of Daudu, saying that it was not an abuse of court process.
According to him, Nasiru Ingawa and Abdulaziz Shinkafi who are standing the trial are not the same as Shema.
He said: “It’s not abuse of court process to prosecute different defendants in different courts for different or similar offences.
However, Justice Babagana Ashigar adjourned the case to October 15 and 16, 2018, for continuation, saying he would give ruling in his judgment.
The former governor, Shehu Ibrahim Shema, is standing trial on a 26-count charge over alleged money laundering during his tenure as governor of the state but he pleaded not guilty before the court.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- N2.5bn fraud: Aisha Buhari reacts
- Osun rerun: Omisore ignores PDP, settles for APC
- Osun Rerun: Oshiomhole, Lai, Ganduje finally seal deal with Omisore
- Lady Gets Yam, Beans, Pawpaw As Best Creative Advert Student
- Why PDP's Adeleke Is Leading Our Candidate In Osun Election - APC Chieftain
- Policemen Used For Osun Election Involved In Fatal Accident
- Osun tie: Matters arising
- Customs generates N852m revenue in 1month
- Minimum wage: ULC threatens nationwide strike,pitch workers against insensitive politicians
- Pressure mounts on UN to fire Obasanjo
- Aisha Buhari orders arrest of her ADC over 2.5billion fraud
- NCC not interested in social media gagging bill, says Ojobo
- Lekan Shonde's Wife "Died Of Brain Injuries"
- Osun Rerun: Omisore, Lasun Agree To Help APC Fight PDP?
- Applicant Dies During FRSC Recruitment In Kogi
- Why INEC Must Declare Collected PVCs For Osun Rerun
- Nigerian Ladies Caught On CCTV Stealing From A Store
- Fear Of Dancing Senator: Oshiomhole, 5 APC Governors Run To Omisore Again
- Woman, Male Friend Nabbed for Using Drone to Monitor Osoba's House (Photos)
- Adeleke Family's Statement On "Rejecting Help" From Omisore
- Tips To Network Better With People For More Opportunities
- Buhari Sends Fayemi From US To "Beg" Omisore For Osun Rerun
- Akpabio Secures APC Nomination As Consensus Candidate
- Minimum Wage: NLC Directs Workers To Begin Strike Tomorrow
- Why My ADC Was Arrested – Aisha Buhari
- Woman In Trouble For Killing Her Husband's Daughter
- Warning From CBN: Our Economy May Fall Into Recession
- Why I Want My Son-in-law To Be Kano Governor - Kwankwaso
- PDP Demands Resignation Of INEC Chairman & Buhari's Sister Who's Director Of Operations
- Federal Government Revives 18 Fertiliser Blending Plants
- Deputy Speaker, Eight Others In Oyo Assembly Defect To ADC
- Cultists Come Out Of Their Hideout, Denounce Membership
- 'I Thought It Was 419' - Thomas Etuh speaks on first meeting with Buhari
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Court orders senator to be summoned on newspaper
- APC gov.-elect visits Omisore
- Billionaire Femi Otedola Pictured With FIFA President
- I Didn't Purchase ADC Governorship Form For Governor Ambode - Former Speaker Ikuforiji
- Tears As Massive Flood Kills Pastor & His Wife In Imo State