By Bashir Bello
KATSINA — The Federal High Court sitting in Katsina, yesterday, adjourned till October 15 and 16 for trial of former governor of Katsina State, Shehu Ibrahim Shema, over alleged laundering of N5.7 billion SURE-P funds.
The case was filed against the former governor by Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC.
The presiding judge, Justice Babagana Ashigar, adjourned the case after intense arguments by the legal counsel of the defendant, Joseph Daudu, SAN and that of EFCC, Samuel Okutepa, SAN.
The defence counsel, Joseph Daudu, SAN, pleaded with the court to adjourn the sitting to enable it resolve a case of jurisdiction, noting that the prosecution filed a similar case in two different courts, which raised the issue of jurisdiction.
Daudu also argued that Nasiru Ingawa standing trial on the same case at the state high court could not be witness on the same case at the Federal High Court, saying it was a violation and an abuse of court process which should not be accepted by the court.
He said: “There is a case pending before a state High Court on the same SURE-P funds for which he is standing trial. Without waiting for the High Court case to finish, they have come to the Federal High Court. It is abuse of court process.’’
On the other hand, the prosecution counsel, Samuel Okutepa, SAN, challenged argument of Daudu, saying that it was not an abuse of court process.
According to him, Nasiru Ingawa and Abdulaziz Shinkafi who are standing the trial are not the same as Shema.
He said: “It’s not abuse of court process to prosecute different defendants in different courts for different or similar offences.
However, Justice Babagana Ashigar adjourned the case to October 15 and 16, 2018, for continuation, saying he would give ruling in his judgment.
The former governor, Shehu Ibrahim Shema, is standing trial on a 26-count charge over alleged money laundering during his tenure as governor of the state but he pleaded not guilty before the court.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Banks struggle between steady income lines, declining profits
- Okorocha may sacrifice son-in-law governorship ambition
- Customs raises alarms over fake recruitment sites
- Drogba sends warning to Super Eagles ahead of Argentina clash
- Iheanacho confident of victory against Argentina
- Oil hits $74.10/barrel as OPEC moves toward spiking supply
- Nigeria to begin fuel exportation by 2019, says Baru
- 2018 World Cup: Pogba reveals Nigeria will be tough opponents
- Mikel to wear arm guard against Argentina
- Nigeria has highest number of extremely poor people – Report
- Bishop Oyedepo: You Can Be A Christian and Miss Heaven
- 5 Mistakes Graduates Are Making That's Denying Them Success
- TRAGIC! Obituary Of Lady & Her Brother Who Died In Accident
- Makeup Artist Transforms Lady Who Survived Burns Into A Queen For Her Wedding
- Boko Haram Fuel Supplier, Who's A Filling Station Manager, Nabbed By Soldiers
- Gunmen Disappear With Ondo Traditional Ruler's Wife
- Woman Who's A Witch Falls From Sky & Lands On Police Barrack In Delta State (Photos)
- PDP ridicules APC National Convention as ‘a mockery of democracy’
- Plateau killings: Buhari speaks tough, appeals for calm
- Saraki keeps APC leaders in suspense over his party membership
- See Woman Who Escaped After Over 100 Were Killed In Plateau
- How D'banj's Son Got Drowned In His Swimming Pool (Update)
- Imagine What Husband & Wife Did To This Boy Living With Them
- "Why I Didn't Attend APC Convention" – Kwankwaso
- Disgraced Ex-Minister Runs Abuja Clinic Without Licence For Years
- Nigeria Overtakes India As Poorest Country In The World
- "Why Herdsmen Killed People In Plateau" – Miyetti Allah Chairman
- Armed herdsmen kill 86 in Plateau
- Sowore blasts Buhari over 2018 Budget
- Buhari at war with NASS over disquieting budget crisis
- Police places N1m bounty on masked woman that “exposed” rich police officer
- Lagos Police Place N1m Reward On Masked Lady
- PhD Scandal: Embattled Osun Rector Arrested, Detained
- PDP To APC Chairman Oshiomhole: "Submit Yourself To EFCC"
- ‘Time Will Tell’ On My Position In APC - Saraki
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Computer Accessories To Make Life Easy
- Fayose's Wife Bags Masters Degree From Ekiti State University
- See Young Kidnapper Who Abducted People In Rivers State (Pics)
- D’banj’s Son & Only Child Dies