By Chioma Gabriel & Dennis Agbo
ENUGU—THE All Progressives Congress, APC, yesterday lamented what it called Governor Rochas Okorocha’s libellous attacks on the party and its leaders which the party said has become a daily occurrence.
According to a statement by Mallam Bolaji Abdullahi, National Publicity Secretary of APC, “Hardly a day passes by without Governor Okorocha verbally assaulting our national chairman, Chief John Odigie-Oyegun and other party leaders over the recently concluded congresses in Imo State.
“In an advertorial published on June 11, 2018 and titled in part: “Let The Truth Speak For Itself” which was signed by a known associate of Governor Okorocha, one Hon. Ireagwu Obioma, who styles himself as ‘Acting Secretary, Imo APC’, a number of false claims were made against the party.
“The import of the allegations was that the party was aware of a court order preventing it from conducting the Imo State Congress following receipt of a copy of the so-called court injunction which directed it to maintain status quo. But nothing can be further from the truth.
The statement read further:
“A cursory look at the published court papers revealed that the party was served the so-called court rulings on May 18, 2018, while the Ward and Local Government Congresses which produced the recently inaugurated party executives from the state was held on May 5th and 14th, 2018 respectively, four days before the court ruling was issued.
“In fact, we strongly believe that the court ruling being paraded as injunction does not serve Governor Okorocha’s interest. At the time of the ruling, a new set of party executives had been validly elected, consequently the court ruling directing that the status quo is maintained, actually means that no one should interfere with the newly elected APC party executives in the state.
“Also in the advertorial, a so-called internal party memo was published, which purportedly showed that we were aware of the pendency of the legal issues involving the congresses in Imo and Abia states. The published ‘memo’ by the agents of the Imo State Governor is fake. No such memo was generated by our Party. A casual look will reveal the inconsistency of the published document.
“Indeed Banire, our party’s Legal Adviser and the Chief of Staff, have denounced the document as fake, stating clearly that it neither originated from him, nor signed such memo. This is therefore, a clear case of forgery borne out of desperation. We are currently seeking legal advice on how to proceed with the matter to ensure that those culpable are identified and duly punished.
APC founding members battle new entrants
Meantime, founding members of the All Progressives Congress, APC, in the South East have waged war against new members of party, particularly those that defected from the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP.
The new fued is coming ahead of the June 23 convention of the party, with the old members insisting that the national officials of the party from the zone should retain their positions against the new members struggling to make inroads into the party’s leadership.
Letting the cat out of the bag, yesterday, one of the Founding members and Enugu state chairman of the party, Dr. Ben Nwoye said the state has endorsed the second tenure aspirations of South East members currently holding national positions.
Such officers, Nwoye announced, include the National Vice Chairman of the party Chief Emma Enukwu, the national organizing Secretary Senator Osita Izunaso and National Auditor Chief George Moghalu, who are all seeking re-election
The endorsement was announced in a communique issued at the end of the state party meeting held in Enugu.Nwoye, after the State Working Committee meeting said all the existing zoning arrangements of the party remains.
Nwoye in the statement said “Chief Hon. Emma Eneukwu having performed excellently well and being an indigene of Udi Local Government Area has the support of the entire Enugu State delegates to the APC national convention.
“That we condemn in totality any attempt by anybody no matter how highly placed to destabilize the agreed zoning arrangement in the State, previously established by leaders of the party in 2014, as it relates to party positions.
“That we commend the national convention committee of the APC in all of its efforts in planning a hitch-free national convention.
“Enugu State APC cannot be cowed by anybody, no matter any previous position he may have held, or the position the person may occupy. We must learn that new leaders must emerge, we can’t continue to lead this country with our past glory.
“Everyday new leaders emerge, the world is calling for new leaders. Very recently, President Muhammadu Buhari signed the Not Too Young to Run Bill into law, this shows progressive leadership.
“Those who have been either past governor, past senator or past this or that must allow new leaders to emerge, must allow those who are leading well to lead. We cannot be cowed by those who joined us from PDP.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Ribadu joins race for Adamawa State House
- Why Skye Bank license was revoked- CBN
- Face Of Man Who Deliberately Infected His 2 Girlfriends With HIV
- I'm Not Endosing Anybody, Don't Waste Time Coming To Beg Me - Tinubu speaks
- 2019: Why Kwankwaso Can Defeat Buhari – Fani-Kayode
- Dancing Senator Adeleke Wins His Polling Unit In Osun Election
- Deadly Cultist who Killed Corper at ATM Point Finally Arrested
- Osun poll: APC, PDP trade blames over allegations of vote-buying
- Osun Decides 2018: Results Are Showing No Clear Winner
- No Whistle-Blower Will Get 5% Of Our Money – NNPC
- Old Woman Faints While Casting Vote In Osun Election
- Let’s Not Push Our Luck & Destroy Nigeria - Abdulsalami Warns
- Ambode: Loyal Supporters Begin Serious Prayer
- Abdusalami says he hates certain politicians warming up for 2019
- Osun Election: APC Candidate, Gboyega Oyetola Casts His Vote
- Amaechi Reacts: Abe conspiring with Wike to pull me down
- NYSC Replies Minister Adebayo Shittu: "You Have No Excuse"
- ADC Governorship Candidate Cast His Vote In Osun Election
- FRSC Officials Beg As Mob Beats Them For "Causing" Accident
- Osun Election: Cadet Claiming To Be INEC Official Nabbed
- Atiku, Saraki, others divide PDP BoT
- PDP agent arrested for buying votes in Adeleke’s LGA
- Osun Election Photos: PDP's Adeleke Casts His Vote
- Pastor Goes Into Hiding After He Was Shot In Port Harcourt
- "How Big Politician R*ped Me In Hotel' - Nigerian Lady Cries
- Rivers State Overtakes Lagos As Top Investment Destination
- Man Shot In The Head, Dies During Shoot-out In APC Secretariat
- Tambuwal: Buhari now desperate to perpetuate self in power
- Police Arrest Drver For Allegedly Killing Professor
- Lai Mohammed Replies PDP: You're Now Panic Mode
- S*x, Alcohol, Hard Drugs: Revelations On Life In NYSC Camps
- Minimum Wage: FG Makes New Promises Over NLC Ultimatum
- Jimi Agbaje; Time to Free Lagos State is Now
- "Ambode Will Get PDP Form From Me, I'll Sell My House & Buy it"
- Mother of 7 Runs Out N*ked During S*x With Man, Dies Openly... family suspects ritual (photo)
- PDP Raises Alarm: 9 APC Governors In Osun To Rig Election
- White Man Crushed To Death On Lagos-Ibadan Expressway Due To High Speed
- 2019: Tension In APC, Senators To Decamp As Oshiomhole Back Governors for Indirect Primary
- Man In Trouble As Lagos Runs Girl He Slept With Escaped With His Boss N5m SUV
- LAGOS 2019: Ambode, Tinubu Meeting Today For "Last" Chance