By Oghenefego Obaebor
VETERAN broadcaster, Mrs. Bimbo Oloyede has lamented the falling standard of English Language proficiency among Nigerians, especially the poor pronunciation of English words among public speakers including journalists, customer service providers, teachers, and politicians.
Oloyede, who linked the development to poor training, illiteracy, influences of dialects among others, suggested that certain experts in the field of English Language should take up the responsibility of guiding the people to speak correctly. She said such experts need to assume the role of custodians of good spoken words.
Towards addressing the challenge, the public speaking trainer has published a book entitled: Strictly Speaking (Pronunciation Made Easy), which she said is targeted at professionals within the education, information, political, corporate and entertainment sectors. She added that another one targeted at students will also be available during the public presentation scheduled to hold on Monday, June 25, in Lagos.
She said: “As a practitioner in the broadcast sector, I have been concerned about the falling standards of presentation and pronunciation permeating our airwaves as well as the poor performance of public officials within our public space. The book is, therefore, based on the belief that articulation and effective communication is an efficient tool that strengthens personal and corporate development, promotes educational advancement, and enhances dynamic information dissemination and good governance.”
According to the author, former Nigeria’s High Commissioner to the UK, Dr. Christopher Kolade will chair the book launch while the Chairman of Channels Media Group, Dr. John Momoh will serve as one of the book reviewers.
Oloyede, however, noted that as non-native speakers of English Language, Nigerians across major sectors, and particularly programmes presenters on radio and television, event comperes, customer officers, especially at our airports, teachers, motivational speakers and preachers require mastery of the language spoken globally to avoid bad influences on their audience, and especially the young ones.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Sacked Lagos Houseboy Mobilizes Soldiers To Beat Up Boss
- Osun Election: Saraki Faults INEC Verdict, Urges PDP Supporters To Remain Firm
- What Saraki, Dogara Have Done To NASS - Senator Ndume
- No Regrets Serving Nigeria Under Jonathan - Ex VP Sambo
- 2019:Former Speaker confirms how much Ambode still needs prayer
- Osun poll: PDP kicks against rerun
- Photos Of President Buhari & Wife Departing Nigeria For US
- Female Footballers Involve In Bus Accident In Kogi, Their Driver Is Unconscious
- "How I Joined Kidney Business" - Human Kidneys' Hunters
- Saraki Wins Over Omisore of SDP to Support PDP Defeat APC?
- Lagos 2019: Sanwo-Olu compounds Ambode’s woes
- Kwese Premier League resumes with Conference eight crackers.
- Top five Nigerian players in the UEFA Europa League this week
- I celebrate Akinwunmi over NFF victory—-MFM FC new director
- Aisha Buhari departs for New York to attend UNGA
- Anthony Joshua defeats Povetkin in seventh round
- Kogi United pips NAF Rockets to maintain promotion chase
- Buruj boys to present trophies to Ambode
- Saraki’s Senate has failed Nigerians—Senator
- Boat mishap claims lives in Borno
- Details Of 7 Units Where Rerun Will Hold In Osun September 27
- Lady Jumps Out Of A Moving Car To Escape Robbery In Abuja
- Ras Kimono's Wife Dies Just 3 Months After Husband's Death
- Prince Kazeem Eletu Odibo Empowers His PRO With Cash As She Adds Another Years
- Osun Decides: INEC Planning To Declare Election Inconclusive?
- Woman Breaks Down In Tears As Pastor Gave Her Entire Church Offerings (Photos)
- BREAKING: Osun Governorship Election Declared Inconclusive
- Tinubu/Ambode feud: Lagos APC insists on primary
- You Have My Blessings - IBB assures Tambuwal
- Dangerous Flood: Monarch weeps as town go under water
- Why Ooni of Ife Did Not Vote Yesterday In Osun Election
- Saraki Warns INEC On Osun Election: "We're Watching You"
- Osun: PDP leads as APC puts all hope on Osogbo
- Obasanjo's Refusal To Support Atiku For 2019: Ex-VP Reacts
- Vote Buying & Selling Get To A Level In Osun Election - Monitors
- Fire Guts Big Factory In Ondo, Destroys N100m Equipment
- Tinunu Ignores Meeting To Take 'Final' Decision On Ambode
- Comedian AY Clears The Air On His "Incentive Comment" About D'band & Wife
- Police, Others Praised For Professional Conduct In Osun Poll
- Osinbajo Says No Discrimination In Buhari’s Administration