Everest Amaefule, Abuja
The Board of the African Development Bank has approved equity investment of $15m in the Africa Food Security Fund, which supports Small and Medium Enterprises involved in agri-business in order to enhance food security across the continent.
The AFSF is a second-generation fund targeting a total capitalisation of $100m. The fund will invest in potential high-growth SME operating in the food and agriculture value chains across sub-Saharan Africa.
It aims to address the needs of least- served operators in agricultural SMEs segment that are not targets of the larger private equity funds and commercial banks.
A statement made available to our correspondent in Abuja on Wednesday said the fund Manager, Zebu Investment Partners, was experienced in food production and processing at the SME level.
Considering the largely underserved needs of agricultural financing in Africa, the fund’s investment policy entails deployment of equity or quasi-equity instruments to provide expansion capital in the majority of cases with average ticket size of $6m to allow for follow-on investments without the need to seek additional external funding.
It is envisaged that the fund will create at least 20 direct jobs for each $1m invested, benefit over 14,000 smallholder farmers, with women taking at least 40 per cent of jobs created, the bank said.
In addition to its investments, the fund will provide post-investment support through a technical assistance facility to investee companies.
In his closing remarks at the Board session, the President, AfDB, Dr. Akinwumi Adesina, said there was a need to link all efforts on the project to the technologies for Africa Agriculture Transformation programme for productivity enhancement at the upstream level.
According to the AfDB, the fund’s investment strategy was fully aligned with the bank’s 10-year strategy (2013-2022), as well as the Regional Integration Policy and Strategy (2013-2024), especially on its inclusive activities.
The bank added that the current potential pipeline companies were aligned to the objectives of its High 5s – feed Africa (through investments in food, beverage and agro processing companies); industrialise Africa (through investments in processing companies); integrate Africa (through investments in businesses that cater to regional economies); and improve the quality of life of Africans (through provision of a technical assistance facility).
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from PUNCH.
Contact: [email protected]
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Sacked Lagos Houseboy Mobilizes Soldiers To Beat Up Boss
- Osun Election: Saraki Faults INEC Verdict, Urges PDP Supporters To Remain Firm
- What Saraki, Dogara Have Done To NASS - Senator Ndume
- No Regrets Serving Nigeria Under Jonathan - Ex VP Sambo
- 2019:Former Speaker confirms how much Ambode still needs prayer
- Osun poll: PDP kicks against rerun
- Photos Of President Buhari & Wife Departing Nigeria For US
- Female Footballers Involve In Bus Accident In Kogi, Their Driver Is Unconscious
- "How I Joined Kidney Business" - Human Kidneys' Hunters
- Saraki Wins Over Omisore of SDP to Support PDP Defeat APC?
- Lagos 2019: Sanwo-Olu compounds Ambode’s woes
- Kwese Premier League resumes with Conference eight crackers.
- Top five Nigerian players in the UEFA Europa League this week
- I celebrate Akinwunmi over NFF victory—-MFM FC new director
- Aisha Buhari departs for New York to attend UNGA
- Anthony Joshua defeats Povetkin in seventh round
- Kogi United pips NAF Rockets to maintain promotion chase
- Buruj boys to present trophies to Ambode
- Saraki’s Senate has failed Nigerians—Senator
- Boat mishap claims lives in Borno
- Details Of 7 Units Where Rerun Will Hold In Osun September 27
- Lady Jumps Out Of A Moving Car To Escape Robbery In Abuja
- Ras Kimono's Wife Dies Just 3 Months After Husband's Death
- Prince Kazeem Eletu Odibo Empowers His PRO With Cash As She Adds Another Years
- Osun Decides: INEC Planning To Declare Election Inconclusive?
- Woman Breaks Down In Tears As Pastor Gave Her Entire Church Offerings (Photos)
- BREAKING: Osun Governorship Election Declared Inconclusive
- Tinubu/Ambode feud: Lagos APC insists on primary
- You Have My Blessings - IBB assures Tambuwal
- Dangerous Flood: Monarch weeps as town go under water
- Why Ooni of Ife Did Not Vote Yesterday In Osun Election
- Saraki Warns INEC On Osun Election: "We're Watching You"
- Osun: PDP leads as APC puts all hope on Osogbo
- Obasanjo's Refusal To Support Atiku For 2019: Ex-VP Reacts
- Vote Buying & Selling Get To A Level In Osun Election - Monitors
- Fire Guts Big Factory In Ondo, Destroys N100m Equipment
- Tinunu Ignores Meeting To Take 'Final' Decision On Ambode
- Comedian AY Clears The Air On His "Incentive Comment" About D'band & Wife
- Police, Others Praised For Professional Conduct In Osun Poll
- Osinbajo Says No Discrimination In Buhari’s Administration