Everest Amaefule, Abuja
The Board of the African Development Bank has approved equity investment of $15m in the Africa Food Security Fund, which supports Small and Medium Enterprises involved in agri-business in order to enhance food security across the continent.
The AFSF is a second-generation fund targeting a total capitalisation of $100m. The fund will invest in potential high-growth SME operating in the food and agriculture value chains across sub-Saharan Africa.
It aims to address the needs of least- served operators in agricultural SMEs segment that are not targets of the larger private equity funds and commercial banks.
A statement made available to our correspondent in Abuja on Wednesday said the fund Manager, Zebu Investment Partners, was experienced in food production and processing at the SME level.
Considering the largely underserved needs of agricultural financing in Africa, the fund’s investment policy entails deployment of equity or quasi-equity instruments to provide expansion capital in the majority of cases with average ticket size of $6m to allow for follow-on investments without the need to seek additional external funding.
It is envisaged that the fund will create at least 20 direct jobs for each $1m invested, benefit over 14,000 smallholder farmers, with women taking at least 40 per cent of jobs created, the bank said.
In addition to its investments, the fund will provide post-investment support through a technical assistance facility to investee companies.
In his closing remarks at the Board session, the President, AfDB, Dr. Akinwumi Adesina, said there was a need to link all efforts on the project to the technologies for Africa Agriculture Transformation programme for productivity enhancement at the upstream level.
According to the AfDB, the fund’s investment strategy was fully aligned with the bank’s 10-year strategy (2013-2022), as well as the Regional Integration Policy and Strategy (2013-2024), especially on its inclusive activities.
The bank added that the current potential pipeline companies were aligned to the objectives of its High 5s – feed Africa (through investments in food, beverage and agro processing companies); industrialise Africa (through investments in processing companies); integrate Africa (through investments in businesses that cater to regional economies); and improve the quality of life of Africans (through provision of a technical assistance facility).
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from PUNCH.
Contact: [email protected]
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Banks struggle between steady income lines, declining profits
- Okorocha may sacrifice son-in-law governorship ambition
- Customs raises alarms over fake recruitment sites
- Drogba sends warning to Super Eagles ahead of Argentina clash
- Iheanacho confident of victory against Argentina
- Oil hits $74.10/barrel as OPEC moves toward spiking supply
- Nigeria to begin fuel exportation by 2019, says Baru
- 2018 World Cup: Pogba reveals Nigeria will be tough opponents
- Mikel to wear arm guard against Argentina
- Nigeria has highest number of extremely poor people – Report
- Bishop Oyedepo: You Can Be A Christian and Miss Heaven
- 5 Mistakes Graduates Are Making That's Denying Them Success
- TRAGIC! Obituary Of Lady & Her Brother Who Died In Accident
- Makeup Artist Transforms Lady Who Survived Burns Into A Queen For Her Wedding
- Boko Haram Fuel Supplier, Who's A Filling Station Manager, Nabbed By Soldiers
- Gunmen Disappear With Ondo Traditional Ruler's Wife
- Woman Who's A Witch Falls From Sky & Lands On Police Barrack In Delta State (Photos)
- PDP ridicules APC National Convention as ‘a mockery of democracy’
- Plateau killings: Buhari speaks tough, appeals for calm
- Saraki keeps APC leaders in suspense over his party membership
- See Woman Who Escaped After Over 100 Were Killed In Plateau
- How D'banj's Son Got Drowned In His Swimming Pool (Update)
- Imagine What Husband & Wife Did To This Boy Living With Them
- "Why I Didn't Attend APC Convention" – Kwankwaso
- Disgraced Ex-Minister Runs Abuja Clinic Without Licence For Years
- Nigeria Overtakes India As Poorest Country In The World
- "Why Herdsmen Killed People In Plateau" – Miyetti Allah Chairman
- Armed herdsmen kill 86 in Plateau
- Sowore blasts Buhari over 2018 Budget
- Buhari at war with NASS over disquieting budget crisis
- Police places N1m bounty on masked woman that “exposed” rich police officer
- Lagos Police Place N1m Reward On Masked Lady
- PhD Scandal: Embattled Osun Rector Arrested, Detained
- PDP To APC Chairman Oshiomhole: "Submit Yourself To EFCC"
- ‘Time Will Tell’ On My Position In APC - Saraki
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Computer Accessories To Make Life Easy
- Fayose's Wife Bags Masters Degree From Ekiti State University
- See Young Kidnapper Who Abducted People In Rivers State (Pics)
- D’banj’s Son & Only Child Dies