The Centre for Anti-Corruption and Open Leadership has called on the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission to probe the Central Bank of Nigeria over alleged misappropriation of funds.
The group alleged that the N55bn allocated for funding of the Federal Government’s Anchor Borrowers Programme was misappropriated by the CBN.
The Executive Chairman, CACOL, Debo Adeniran, who said this on Wednesday, cited Section 6 (b) of the Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Act, 2000 as the statutory provision, which empowered the anti-graft agency to investigate corruption cases pertaining to public institutions in the country.
Adeniran condemned the manner in which the government revenue, which was approved to provide support for rice farmers, was allegedly diverted to strangers and political hangers-on, who were not involved in agriculture.
He added that the ICPC should investigate the role played by the affected state governments in the alleged scam, noting that anybody fingered should be arrested, prosecuted and jailed over the diversion of public revenue.
The group decried the alleged misappropriated fund, which was meant to finance the Federal Government’s plan to boost rice production across the country in pursuit of the nation’s self-sufficiency agenda for the staple crop.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from PUNCH.
Contact: [email protected]
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- “Why we appointed Ali Modu Sheriff as Buhari campaign manager”
- APC tackles Saraki as another coalition linked to him
- Governor Ortom Dumps APC
- Photos Of Ronaldo Undergoing Medical As He Moves To Juventus
- See Damages Caused By Heavy Rain In Katsina, 25 Killed
- Why ICC invites only Buhari of all world leaders
- Dogara aide dumps APC
- $680m: Oando boss, Tinubu in another messy court case
- Protesters hold bank to ransom in Lagos
- UBA bags best institution in digital banking across Africa
- Tips on how to cope with high blood pressure
- World Cup Final Referee is an idiot – Roy Keane
- SEC reiterates commitment to robust capital market
- Ekiti 2018: ‘Fictitious’ final result causes uproar
- NIMC requires N150bn to enrol every Nigerian
- How INEC conspired with APC to rig Ekiti election – Olushola
- Boko Haram abducts 23 soldiers in Borno state
- I'm Not Afraid Of EFCC, I Won't Run Away From Nigeria - Fayose
- PHOTOS: Many Dead As Bus Goes Off The Road and Plunges Into Edo River
- Soldiers Patrolling Ekiti After APC Governorship Victory (Photos)
- Update On Girl Kidnapped At Lagos Christ Embassy: Fraudsters Contact Family For Money
- Customs Officer Kills Two Colleagues In Lagos
- FUNNY!! How APC's Fayemi Out Spend Fayose's PDP In Ekiti
- I Abducted My Employer’s Son To Raise Money — Arrested Guard
- NYSC Forgery Saga: Police IG Asked To Probe Kemi Adeosun
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- 5 Ways To Wear Heels Without Pain
- "Fayose Is A High-Powered Nothing" - Presidency
- Fayemi Spotted Celebrating With Other Governors
- EFCC Threatens Governor Fayose?
- 23 Soldiers Missing In Borno As Boko Haram Ambush Troops
- 25yrs Old Man Arrested Forr Killing His Wife Over Adultery
- "I Defeated APC's Fayemi During Voting, They Changed Results" - Fayose's Deputy
- Family Of Female Corper Shot Dead In Abuja Goes After Hospital
- I Will Pay Ekiti Workers Salary Arrears In just 6 Months - Fayemi
- Saraki Reacts To Fayemi's Victory In Ekiti Governorship Election
- PDP governor differs with colleagues, party on Fayemi victory
- Lawmaker arrested for arming suspects with pump-action guns
- Flying Eagles return, set to conquer ‘tough’ Mauritanians
- Croatia coach attributes success in Russia to holy rosary