The Centre for Anti-Corruption and Open Leadership has called on the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission to probe the Central Bank of Nigeria over alleged misappropriation of funds.
The group alleged that the N55bn allocated for funding of the Federal Government’s Anchor Borrowers Programme was misappropriated by the CBN.
The Executive Chairman, CACOL, Debo Adeniran, who said this on Wednesday, cited Section 6 (b) of the Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Act, 2000 as the statutory provision, which empowered the anti-graft agency to investigate corruption cases pertaining to public institutions in the country.
Adeniran condemned the manner in which the government revenue, which was approved to provide support for rice farmers, was allegedly diverted to strangers and political hangers-on, who were not involved in agriculture.
He added that the ICPC should investigate the role played by the affected state governments in the alleged scam, noting that anybody fingered should be arrested, prosecuted and jailed over the diversion of public revenue.
The group decried the alleged misappropriated fund, which was meant to finance the Federal Government’s plan to boost rice production across the country in pursuit of the nation’s self-sufficiency agenda for the staple crop.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from PUNCH.
Contact: [email protected]
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Man wants divorce after dreaming this
- Why Porto signed me on loan—–Nwakali
- I did not call Sterling a Black C***’ – Abusive Chelsea Fan
- Ex-Super Eagles player, Obinna Nsofor, celebrates Italian citizenship
- Toure dumps club
- Iwobi speaks on dilemma
- Barca equal Bayern’s champions league record
- Manchester City agree deal for USA keeper
- Arraignment of Omokore, other stalled in court
- Buhari's Minister Resigns To Become Traditional Ruler
- Missing Boy Found 2 Years After Abduction, Notorious Female Kidnapper Nabbed
- Kidnappers Are Threatening To Kill This Pregnant Lady Within 24hours Over Money (Photos)
- Face Of Woman Arrested After Mobilizing Thugs To Beat Up Her Security For Demanding His Salary
- Shock As Lady Having S*x With Men For Money Is Murdered For Money Ritual (Photos)
- 'I Will Fight It' - UK's Theresa May faces Vote of No Confidence, may lose her position
- Donald Duke, Sowore, Others React As Only 5 Candidates Are Picked For Presidential Debate
- OMG! Therapist Commits Suicide After Helping Fellow Nigerian Overcome Depression
- PHOTOS: Atiku, Ezekwesili Sign Peace Accord In Abuja
- Trump awarded almost $300,000 in Daniels defamation lawsuit
- Lagos and the garbage question
- Rising political tension responsible for capital market woes – Don
- Yemi Alade breaks internet with her near-nude photos
- Pageantry: 10 Minutes With Winner Of Mr And Mrs. Aviation
- Simi Live In Late Lagos: Good, bad and ugly
- Rich 70yrs Old Alhaji Marries 15-Year-Old Nigerian Girl (Photos)
- Break Traffic Laws In Lagos and Get 3 Years Imprisonment - Lagos Govt. Warns
- 19-Year-Old Nigerian Breaks Record In US Air Force (Photos)
- Buhari Challenged By PDP: Probe Your Associates, Relatives Involved In Corruption
- OBJ Replies Presidency: Allow Me Focus On Supporting Atiku
- Wife Who Killed Nigerian Traditional Ruler Sentenced To Death
- Reactions As Buhari Excludes S-East and S-South From EFCC
- Lekan Shonde asks court to reduce charge to manslaughter over wife's murder case
- Put Nigeria First In Conducting 2019 Election - Buhari to INEC
- Did Oshiomhole Attack Aisha Buhari Over Her Comment?
- Deadly Gunmen Hijack Bus Loaded With Nigerians Travelling
- Thank You For Returning Stolen Funds - Buhari To Swiss Govt
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Boki confers first chieftaincy title in 30yrs on UNICAL VC
- This is why north will gain more from restructuring – Kukah
- US dismisses Jonathan’s allegations against Obama