The Centre for Anti-Corruption and Open Leadership has called on the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission to probe the Central Bank of Nigeria over alleged misappropriation of funds.
The group alleged that the N55bn allocated for funding of the Federal Government’s Anchor Borrowers Programme was misappropriated by the CBN.
The Executive Chairman, CACOL, Debo Adeniran, who said this on Wednesday, cited Section 6 (b) of the Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Act, 2000 as the statutory provision, which empowered the anti-graft agency to investigate corruption cases pertaining to public institutions in the country.
Adeniran condemned the manner in which the government revenue, which was approved to provide support for rice farmers, was allegedly diverted to strangers and political hangers-on, who were not involved in agriculture.
He added that the ICPC should investigate the role played by the affected state governments in the alleged scam, noting that anybody fingered should be arrested, prosecuted and jailed over the diversion of public revenue.
The group decried the alleged misappropriated fund, which was meant to finance the Federal Government’s plan to boost rice production across the country in pursuit of the nation’s self-sufficiency agenda for the staple crop.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from PUNCH.
Contact: [email protected]
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Court orders senator to be summoned on newspaper
- APC gov.-elect visits Omisore
- Billionaire Femi Otedola Pictured With FIFA President
- I Didn't Purchase ADC Governorship Form For Governor Ambode - Former Speaker Ikuforiji
- Tears As Massive Flood Kills Pastor & His Wife In Imo State
- OPM Church Admits Boy Who Was Learning Mechanic Into Its Free School
- PDP afraid of rerun in Osun, says APC
- Prudent Energy Handball League to commence on Wednesday
- Anderson gains revenge over Novak Djokovic
- CAF Cup: Ikpeazu hails Enyimba for trouncing Rayon
- Tiger Woods wins first trophy in five years
- Mbaoma shoots Akwa United to top group
- Ballon d’Or: France football magazine to present award to best female player
- Tunde Sanni resigns as ABS coach
- Many Jubilate As Court Declares Okorocha Deputy's Impeachment Illegal (Photos)
- Tinubu's Ex-Wife & Mother Of His First Son Is Dead
- DSS Confirms Arrest, Detention Of Aisha Buhari’s ADC
- EXPOSED: INEC Removed 4,387 Votes From Our Ballots – PDP
- Fani-Kayode Visits Kwankwaso At His Residence
- APC Sends Kayode Fayemi To Omisore's House
- NSCDC begins inspection of petrol stations in Nasarawa State
- Real Madrid joins race for Ajax Fenkie de jong
- Pique: History speaks for itself
- Allegri: Ronaldo’s mentality, stronger than others
- Carragher: Arsenal, Man utd will miss out on top 4
- FG explains why Nigeria Air project was suspended
- CBN releases new cheque standard
- CBN retains rates again
- Stakeholders express concerns over adulterated palm oil
- CUSTOMS: FOU Owerri impounds military Camouflage, Tramadol, others
- Baby Escapes Death After Crawling Into A Major Road (Photo)
- FG Opens Up On Reason For Suspending Nigeria Air
- Robbers Busted After Snatching SUV From Victim At Gunpoint
- 2019: Abdulsalami Peace Committee In Closed-Door Meeting With INEC Chairman
- Special Offer On Trips To Dubai
- Farmers urged to harvest produce on time
- Aisha Buhari Orders Arrest Of Her Own ADC, Alleges N2.5b Fraud
- Singer Timi Dakolo Shares Fun Pic With Wife
- Ambode Moves Against LGA Chairmen Who Didn't Endorse Him, Considers Massive Sack?
- Face Of Heartless Son Who Killed His Father To Inherit Millions