Olufemi Atoyebi, Ibadan
Electricity consumers in Ibadan on Wednesday complained that the Ibadan Electricity Distribution Company had made it difficult for them to recharge their pre-paid meters because of its failure to decentralise the payment points.
Many of them said that despite coming from long distances to the payment points, they usually spend several hours in the queue whenever they wanted to recharge their pre-paid meters. They also complained that often, the machine used at the designated offices would stop working because of its inability to attend to the large number of consumers waiting for service.
One of the aggrieved consumers, Funmilayo Aina, told our correspondent at the office of the IBEDC in Odo-Ona area of Ibadan that the payment point was the only one serving customers in Apata, Owode, Omi-Adio, Gbekuba, Idi-Ishin and other parts of the area, while calling on the company to decentralise the system.
She said, “Our experience is unpleasant. We struggled to procure the meter and again we are struggling to feed it. I came a long way from here and I don’t see any reason why we should be treated this way. There is only one payment point for thousands of customers in this area with more than eight large communities. It is either the computers are being repaired or are faulty, or there are long queues of customers waiting to pay to recharge their meters.
“We deserve better treatment because we are paying for what we consume. The pay point should be decentralised. In this age of technology, do we need to visit the IBEDC to recharge our meters? There should be an easier alternative to make things better for us.”
If we can recharge our mobile telephone anywhere and online, the IBEDC should improve on its services in this modern age.”
Many other consumers of electricity distributed by the IBEDC had similar complaints when our correspondent contacted them at other payment points in Dugbe area of Ibadan.
While reacting to the complaints, the Head, Branding and Communication, IBEDC, Angela Olanrewaju, said there were other online payment options for customers to explore.
She stated, “We had a general breakdown of our payment server, but we have rectified that. We implore customers to contact out customer care office if they have complaints.
“We have online payment systems like Quickteller and scratch cards, and they can pay in the banks. We are also trying to migrate customers to the mobile telephone payment system.”
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from PUNCH.
Contact: [email protected]
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- CDHR task Buhari on poverty/insecurity
- Attacks on Plateau communities retaliatory, says Miyetti Allah
- Bureau official arraigned for murder
- Buhari blames desperate politicians for killings in Plateau
- APC Convention: “Kwankwaso just ended political career”
- D'Banj Was Advised About That Swimming Pool & His Son
- Banks struggle between steady income lines, declining profits
- Okorocha may sacrifice son-in-law governorship ambition
- Customs raises alarms over fake recruitment sites
- Drogba sends warning to Super Eagles ahead of Argentina clash
- Iheanacho confident of victory against Argentina
- Oil hits $74.10/barrel as OPEC moves toward spiking supply
- Nigeria to begin fuel exportation by 2019, says Baru
- 2018 World Cup: Pogba reveals Nigeria will be tough opponents
- Mikel to wear arm guard against Argentina
- Nigeria has highest number of extremely poor people – Report
- Bishop Oyedepo: You Can Be A Christian and Miss Heaven
- 5 Mistakes Graduates Are Making That's Denying Them Success
- TRAGIC! Obituary Of Lady & Her Brother Who Died In Accident
- Makeup Artist Transforms Lady Who Survived Burns Into A Queen For Her Wedding
- Boko Haram Fuel Supplier, Who's A Filling Station Manager, Nabbed By Soldiers
- Gunmen Disappear With Ondo Traditional Ruler's Wife
- Woman Who's A Witch Falls From Sky & Lands On Police Barrack In Delta State (Photos)
- PDP ridicules APC National Convention as ‘a mockery of democracy’
- Plateau killings: Buhari speaks tough, appeals for calm
- Saraki keeps APC leaders in suspense over his party membership
- See Woman Who Escaped After Over 100 Were Killed In Plateau
- How D'banj's Son Got Drowned In His Swimming Pool (Update)
- Imagine What Husband & Wife Did To This Boy Living With Them
- "Why I Didn't Attend APC Convention" – Kwankwaso
- Disgraced Ex-Minister Runs Abuja Clinic Without Licence For Years
- Nigeria Overtakes India As Poorest Country In The World
- "Why Herdsmen Killed People In Plateau" – Miyetti Allah Chairman
- Armed herdsmen kill 86 in Plateau
- Sowore blasts Buhari over 2018 Budget
- Buhari at war with NASS over disquieting budget crisis
- Police places N1m bounty on masked woman that “exposed” rich police officer
- Lagos Police Place N1m Reward On Masked Lady
- PhD Scandal: Embattled Osun Rector Arrested, Detained
- PDP To APC Chairman Oshiomhole: "Submit Yourself To EFCC"