…okays draft National Tobacco Control Regulation
Olalekan Adetayo, Abuja
The Federal Executive Council on Wednesday approved the rehabilitation, repair and construction of 14 roads in different parts of the country.
The Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity, Mr. Femi Adesina, disclosed this to State House correspondents at the end of the FEC meeting presided over by President Muhammadu Buhari.
The presidential spokesman said the 14 roads would gulp N185.3bn.
The Minister of Industry, Trade and Investment, Okechukwu Enelamah, said the council approved the contract for the construction of the second phase and the completion of the Industrial Training Fund’s multi-purpose conference centre in Abuja at the cost of N6.5bn, inclusive of Value Added Tax.
He stated, “The importance of this is that the ITF is one of the most important agencies of government when it comes to vocational training and skills acquisition, and Abuja is a very important centre of training for the ITF.
“It has a training facility that can train 319 people per session. With this investment in this building, it can increase that capacity to about 1,200 per session. So, it is a fairly big facility.
“Some of the areas of interest we want to increase training include the automotive skills sector, ICT, tiling, Plaster of Paris, plumbing, GSM, welding and fabrication, refrigeration and so on.
“All these strategies are attempts to implement the Economic Recovery and Growth Plan and to diversify the economy in a way that we can bring more people to have the skills that are needed to go to work.”
The Minister of Health, Prof. Isaac Adewole, said the council approved the draft Food Safety and Quality Bill as well as the Food Safety Institutional Reform working document.
He added that with the approval of the two documents, the country would witness a reduction in the incidence of food borne illnesses through the preventive controls that were already contained in the bill.
The minister said the documents would also help to support the achievement of sustainable effective food trade that would boost and enhance the economy.
Part of the institutional framework in the bill, according to him, is to set up the Food Safety Council that will be chaired by the Vice President as well as an inter-ministerial committee that will handle food management as well as food safety in Nigeria.
Adewole said the council also approved a draft National Tobacco Control Regulation.
He stated, “Under this administration, we have recorded several successes with respect to tobacco anti-control. Precisely, early this month, Mr. President approved increases in tobacco taxes as well as alcohol.
“And then on May 23, the government approved the framework to control illegal trade in tobacco products in Nigeria. Today, the regulation that will really enable us to implement the National Tobacco Control Act was approved.”
The minister added, “The framework contains sections that have to do with general provisions of regulations like licensing, approvals, who does what, penalties etc. And more importantly, to also enable us work closely with the state.
“We believe that once this is approved by National Assembly, we will start seeing a lot of changes, effect the ban on smoke areas in the country and also you will notice different warning labels on tobacco products in Nigeria.”
The 14 road contracts approved by the council include the Gwoza-Damboa-Goniri-Ngamdu Road in Yobe and Borno states by Hajaig Construction Nigeria Limited at the cost of N34.608bn; Mayo Belwa-Jada-Ganye-Torngo Road in Adamawa by Messrs Triacta Nigeria Limited at the rate of N22.699bn; Ado-Ifaki- Otun-Kwara State border in Ekiti State at the rate of N6.002bn; and the repair of the Makurdi Bridge in Benue State by Messrs AG Visio Construction Limited for N4.617bn.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from PUNCH.
Contact: [email protected]
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Sacked Lagos Houseboy Mobilizes Soldiers To Beat Up Boss
- Osun Election: Saraki Faults INEC Verdict, Urges PDP Supporters To Remain Firm
- What Saraki, Dogara Have Done To NASS - Senator Ndume
- No Regrets Serving Nigeria Under Jonathan - Ex VP Sambo
- 2019:Former Speaker confirms how much Ambode still needs prayer
- Osun poll: PDP kicks against rerun
- Photos Of President Buhari & Wife Departing Nigeria For US
- Female Footballers Involve In Bus Accident In Kogi, Their Driver Is Unconscious
- "How I Joined Kidney Business" - Human Kidneys' Hunters
- Saraki Wins Over Omisore of SDP to Support PDP Defeat APC?
- Lagos 2019: Sanwo-Olu compounds Ambode’s woes
- Kwese Premier League resumes with Conference eight crackers.
- Top five Nigerian players in the UEFA Europa League this week
- I celebrate Akinwunmi over NFF victory—-MFM FC new director
- Aisha Buhari departs for New York to attend UNGA
- Anthony Joshua defeats Povetkin in seventh round
- Kogi United pips NAF Rockets to maintain promotion chase
- Buruj boys to present trophies to Ambode
- Saraki’s Senate has failed Nigerians—Senator
- Boat mishap claims lives in Borno
- Details Of 7 Units Where Rerun Will Hold In Osun September 27
- Lady Jumps Out Of A Moving Car To Escape Robbery In Abuja
- Ras Kimono's Wife Dies Just 3 Months After Husband's Death
- Prince Kazeem Eletu Odibo Empowers His PRO With Cash As She Adds Another Years
- Osun Decides: INEC Planning To Declare Election Inconclusive?
- Woman Breaks Down In Tears As Pastor Gave Her Entire Church Offerings (Photos)
- BREAKING: Osun Governorship Election Declared Inconclusive
- Tinubu/Ambode feud: Lagos APC insists on primary
- You Have My Blessings - IBB assures Tambuwal
- Dangerous Flood: Monarch weeps as town go under water
- Why Ooni of Ife Did Not Vote Yesterday In Osun Election
- Saraki Warns INEC On Osun Election: "We're Watching You"
- Osun: PDP leads as APC puts all hope on Osogbo
- Obasanjo's Refusal To Support Atiku For 2019: Ex-VP Reacts
- Vote Buying & Selling Get To A Level In Osun Election - Monitors
- Fire Guts Big Factory In Ondo, Destroys N100m Equipment
- Tinunu Ignores Meeting To Take 'Final' Decision On Ambode
- Comedian AY Clears The Air On His "Incentive Comment" About D'band & Wife
- Police, Others Praised For Professional Conduct In Osun Poll
- Osinbajo Says No Discrimination In Buhari’s Administration