…okays draft National Tobacco Control Regulation
Olalekan Adetayo, Abuja
The Federal Executive Council on Wednesday approved the rehabilitation, repair and construction of 14 roads in different parts of the country.
The Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity, Mr. Femi Adesina, disclosed this to State House correspondents at the end of the FEC meeting presided over by President Muhammadu Buhari.
The presidential spokesman said the 14 roads would gulp N185.3bn.
The Minister of Industry, Trade and Investment, Okechukwu Enelamah, said the council approved the contract for the construction of the second phase and the completion of the Industrial Training Fund’s multi-purpose conference centre in Abuja at the cost of N6.5bn, inclusive of Value Added Tax.
He stated, “The importance of this is that the ITF is one of the most important agencies of government when it comes to vocational training and skills acquisition, and Abuja is a very important centre of training for the ITF.
“It has a training facility that can train 319 people per session. With this investment in this building, it can increase that capacity to about 1,200 per session. So, it is a fairly big facility.
“Some of the areas of interest we want to increase training include the automotive skills sector, ICT, tiling, Plaster of Paris, plumbing, GSM, welding and fabrication, refrigeration and so on.
“All these strategies are attempts to implement the Economic Recovery and Growth Plan and to diversify the economy in a way that we can bring more people to have the skills that are needed to go to work.”
The Minister of Health, Prof. Isaac Adewole, said the council approved the draft Food Safety and Quality Bill as well as the Food Safety Institutional Reform working document.
He added that with the approval of the two documents, the country would witness a reduction in the incidence of food borne illnesses through the preventive controls that were already contained in the bill.
The minister said the documents would also help to support the achievement of sustainable effective food trade that would boost and enhance the economy.
Part of the institutional framework in the bill, according to him, is to set up the Food Safety Council that will be chaired by the Vice President as well as an inter-ministerial committee that will handle food management as well as food safety in Nigeria.
Adewole said the council also approved a draft National Tobacco Control Regulation.
He stated, “Under this administration, we have recorded several successes with respect to tobacco anti-control. Precisely, early this month, Mr. President approved increases in tobacco taxes as well as alcohol.
“And then on May 23, the government approved the framework to control illegal trade in tobacco products in Nigeria. Today, the regulation that will really enable us to implement the National Tobacco Control Act was approved.”
The minister added, “The framework contains sections that have to do with general provisions of regulations like licensing, approvals, who does what, penalties etc. And more importantly, to also enable us work closely with the state.
“We believe that once this is approved by National Assembly, we will start seeing a lot of changes, effect the ban on smoke areas in the country and also you will notice different warning labels on tobacco products in Nigeria.”
The 14 road contracts approved by the council include the Gwoza-Damboa-Goniri-Ngamdu Road in Yobe and Borno states by Hajaig Construction Nigeria Limited at the cost of N34.608bn; Mayo Belwa-Jada-Ganye-Torngo Road in Adamawa by Messrs Triacta Nigeria Limited at the rate of N22.699bn; Ado-Ifaki- Otun-Kwara State border in Ekiti State at the rate of N6.002bn; and the repair of the Makurdi Bridge in Benue State by Messrs AG Visio Construction Limited for N4.617bn.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from PUNCH.
Contact: [email protected]
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- I’m dumping Enyimba for Katsina United —-Ezenwa
- Difficult match but we came out victorious– Alex Iwobi
- Flying Eagles will approach Junior Mena with all seriousness— Paul Aigbogun
- FIFA & France sign agreement on African Football
- Boko Haram: ICC accuses Nigerian security forces of war crimes
- Arrest of Atiku’s son, tales by mischief makers – EFCC
- 2019: Saraki Urges INEC, security agencies, stakeholders to ensure credible elections
- Nigeria’s infrastructure deficit to hit $878b by 2040 – SEC DG
- I thank Watford family for believing in me—–Isaac Success
- Palace ‘interested in signing Moses with Chelsea for £12m
- 19th NSF: Toriola Oshonaike crashed out of Table tennis mixed double
- I Weep For President Buhari, His Wife Has Cried Out Endlessly - Dele Momodu
- Check Out Emirates' 'Diamond-encrusted' Airplane Going Viral Online (Photos)
- Luiz keen on Chelsea’s stay
- Oil marketers dare FG, shut down depots
- Christianity under siege in China
- Oil marketers suspend strike, gives FG 5-day grace
- Banks spend N555bn in nine months for customers’ relations
- Govenor Amosun in urgent meeting with Buhari
- Access Bank bags CBN’s Award
- 2019 Election: Senate declares public hearing on vote-buying
- AMCON says asset management partners to help recover N740bn
- DMO enlists support of sub-national entities in managing Nigeria’s rising public debt
- Brilliant Nigerian Lady Abisoye Wins CNN Heroes Awards 2018
- Sharing Trader Moni Weeks To Election Is Vote Buying - Dogara
- EFCC Reveals Why They Raided Atiku's Sons Apartment
- Nigeria's GDP Rises To 1.81% In Third Quarter, After Falling From 7% Since 2016
- Offa robbery: Police debunks report on missing stolen money
- 2019: Buhari’s arrests Sowore’s supporters
- 2019: Buhari’s arrests Sowore’s supporters
- Riverplate Clinch Copa Libertadores After Edging Out Boca
- FIFA & France Sign Agreement on African Football
- Tinubu Is My Friend, But I'll Free Lagos From Him - Jimi Agbaje
- Seriously? Human Bones Found Buried in Front of Popular Hotel in Lagos
- See Actor Gideon Okeke Getting His Lips Stitched After Being Brutalized By Policemen In Lagos
- I Was Aspiring To Be Chief Of Staff But God Turned The Table Around - Sanwo-Olu
- Atiku's Sons Apartment Raided By EFCC In Abuja
- Senator kicks against overriding Buhari’s veto
- Buhari constitutes committee on state’s judiciary autonomy
- Woman Brutally Attacked by Robbers on Her Way from Church in Rivers (Photos)