Italy’s Supreme Court threw out an appeal by Shell and four of its former managers to stymie a trial on alleged corruption in Nigeria, which also sees Eni’s chief on the bench, legal sources said on Wednesday.
The long-running graft case revolves around the 2011 purchase by Eni and Shell of Nigeria’s Oil Prospecting Licence 245, an offshore oilfield, for about $1.3bn.
The trial of top executives from the two oil majors kicked off on May 14, 2018, with a brief procedural hearing and a decision to re-adjourn to June.
The trial, which was initially scheduled to begin on March 5, 2018 in a Milan court, was postponed till May 14 and transferred to another chamber.
At the next hearing, set for June 20, the Milan court said it would assess requests from third parties, including a series of international non-profit organisations, to join the case.
The appeal by Shell and its ex-managers was aimed at reversing the trial to the preliminary hearing stage due to what they said were procedural errors, but the court decided the appeal was inadmissible, according to Reuters.
Nine current and former executives or contractors, including Eni Chief Executive, Claudio Descalzi, have been accused by Italian prosecutors of paying bribes to secure the licence to explore OPL 245. The field holds an estimated nine billion barrels of oil but has never entered production.
Shell and Eni have denied any wrongdoing. Those on trial could face jail if found guilty.
Reuters quoted a Shell spokeswoman as saying on Wednesday, “Based on our review of the Prosecutor of Milan’s file and all of the information and facts available to us, we do not believe that there is a basis to convict Shell or any of its former employees.”
As a rule, the Supreme Court does not comment on its decisions.
In 1998, OPL 245 was awarded by a former Petroleum Minister, Dan Etete, to Malabu Oil and Gas, which later sold it to Eni and Shell. The deal saw the Nigerian government act as an intermediary between the oil majors and Malabu Oil and Gas, a company allegedly controlled by Etete.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from PUNCH.
Contact: [email protected]
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- “Why we appointed Ali Modu Sheriff as Buhari campaign manager”
- APC tackles Saraki as another coalition linked to him
- Governor Ortom Dumps APC
- Photos Of Ronaldo Undergoing Medical As He Moves To Juventus
- See Damages Caused By Heavy Rain In Katsina, 25 Killed
- Why ICC invites only Buhari of all world leaders
- Dogara aide dumps APC
- $680m: Oando boss, Tinubu in another messy court case
- Protesters hold bank to ransom in Lagos
- UBA bags best institution in digital banking across Africa
- Tips on how to cope with high blood pressure
- World Cup Final Referee is an idiot – Roy Keane
- SEC reiterates commitment to robust capital market
- Ekiti 2018: ‘Fictitious’ final result causes uproar
- NIMC requires N150bn to enrol every Nigerian
- How INEC conspired with APC to rig Ekiti election – Olushola
- Boko Haram abducts 23 soldiers in Borno state
- I'm Not Afraid Of EFCC, I Won't Run Away From Nigeria - Fayose
- PHOTOS: Many Dead As Bus Goes Off The Road and Plunges Into Edo River
- Soldiers Patrolling Ekiti After APC Governorship Victory (Photos)
- Update On Girl Kidnapped At Lagos Christ Embassy: Fraudsters Contact Family For Money
- Customs Officer Kills Two Colleagues In Lagos
- FUNNY!! How APC's Fayemi Out Spend Fayose's PDP In Ekiti
- I Abducted My Employer’s Son To Raise Money — Arrested Guard
- NYSC Forgery Saga: Police IG Asked To Probe Kemi Adeosun
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- 5 Ways To Wear Heels Without Pain
- "Fayose Is A High-Powered Nothing" - Presidency
- Fayemi Spotted Celebrating With Other Governors
- EFCC Threatens Governor Fayose?
- 23 Soldiers Missing In Borno As Boko Haram Ambush Troops
- 25yrs Old Man Arrested Forr Killing His Wife Over Adultery
- "I Defeated APC's Fayemi During Voting, They Changed Results" - Fayose's Deputy
- Family Of Female Corper Shot Dead In Abuja Goes After Hospital
- I Will Pay Ekiti Workers Salary Arrears In just 6 Months - Fayemi
- Saraki Reacts To Fayemi's Victory In Ekiti Governorship Election
- PDP governor differs with colleagues, party on Fayemi victory
- Lawmaker arrested for arming suspects with pump-action guns
- Flying Eagles return, set to conquer ‘tough’ Mauritanians
- Croatia coach attributes success in Russia to holy rosary