It’s the Way to 21st Century economy— Erogbogbo
Stories by Dayo Adesulu
TECHNICAL education has been identified as the way forward from Nigeria’s economic quagmire. According to an expert, technical education is that knowledge needed by students to enhance the manufacturing of goods for export and domestic use.
Executive Secretary of Lagos State Technical and Vocational Education Board, LASTVEB, Mrs. Omolara Erogbogbo, lamented that while many countries of the world have embraced technical knowledge, our country is still being persuaded to do so.
Speaking during an interactive session with the media in Lagos, she said: “The economic progress of the nation greatly depends on its industrialisation.” Erogbogbo who urged states of the federation to key in, noted that the Lagos State Government, which is the economic hub of the country, has since established 10 technical schools.
According to her, embracing technical and vocational skills acquisition by young people in Lagos State would address the skills gap in the economy as well as provide means for young people to be relevant.
Developing new enterprises
She said: “The training offered through LASTVEB has ensured adequate skills training, empowerment of young people, preparing them for the world of work, providing job opportunities and keeping the youth of Lagos off the streets. We have chosen to champion technical and vocational education as it focuses specifically on providing job-related skills for students whilst also preparing them to be positioned to develop new enterprises.”
She disclosed that the government was proposing additional technical colleges in the state and maintained that technical education was not for drop-outs. She said, “apart from the technical skills, the students are also required to learn Physics, Chemistry, Biology, English Language and Mathematics as a prerequisite for NABTEB final examination.”
Erogbogbo urged parents, guardians and secondary school leavers to embrace technical education, stressing that it was free. She explained that technical education would allow students learn a trade and and get skills for the future.
For those who think going through technical education means the end of their career, Erogbogbo said after going through technical college, the students can study further in the universities or become entrepreneurs.
She urged governments, parents, guardians and teachers to encourage students to get technical education, adding that they stand a better chance of securing jobs ahead of their counterparts in the universities, polytechnics and colleges of education. According to her, many of LASTVEB graduates are now working with multinationals in Nigeria.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Sacked Lagos Houseboy Mobilizes Soldiers To Beat Up Boss
- Osun Election: Saraki Faults INEC Verdict, Urges PDP Supporters To Remain Firm
- What Saraki, Dogara Have Done To NASS - Senator Ndume
- No Regrets Serving Nigeria Under Jonathan - Ex VP Sambo
- 2019:Former Speaker confirms how much Ambode still needs prayer
- Osun poll: PDP kicks against rerun
- Photos Of President Buhari & Wife Departing Nigeria For US
- Female Footballers Involve In Bus Accident In Kogi, Their Driver Is Unconscious
- "How I Joined Kidney Business" - Human Kidneys' Hunters
- Saraki Wins Over Omisore of SDP to Support PDP Defeat APC?
- Lagos 2019: Sanwo-Olu compounds Ambode’s woes
- Kwese Premier League resumes with Conference eight crackers.
- Top five Nigerian players in the UEFA Europa League this week
- I celebrate Akinwunmi over NFF victory—-MFM FC new director
- Aisha Buhari departs for New York to attend UNGA
- Anthony Joshua defeats Povetkin in seventh round
- Kogi United pips NAF Rockets to maintain promotion chase
- Buruj boys to present trophies to Ambode
- Saraki’s Senate has failed Nigerians—Senator
- Boat mishap claims lives in Borno
- Details Of 7 Units Where Rerun Will Hold In Osun September 27
- Lady Jumps Out Of A Moving Car To Escape Robbery In Abuja
- Ras Kimono's Wife Dies Just 3 Months After Husband's Death
- Prince Kazeem Eletu Odibo Empowers His PRO With Cash As She Adds Another Years
- Osun Decides: INEC Planning To Declare Election Inconclusive?
- Woman Breaks Down In Tears As Pastor Gave Her Entire Church Offerings (Photos)
- BREAKING: Osun Governorship Election Declared Inconclusive
- Tinubu/Ambode feud: Lagos APC insists on primary
- You Have My Blessings - IBB assures Tambuwal
- Dangerous Flood: Monarch weeps as town go under water
- Why Ooni of Ife Did Not Vote Yesterday In Osun Election
- Saraki Warns INEC On Osun Election: "We're Watching You"
- Osun: PDP leads as APC puts all hope on Osogbo
- Obasanjo's Refusal To Support Atiku For 2019: Ex-VP Reacts
- Vote Buying & Selling Get To A Level In Osun Election - Monitors
- Fire Guts Big Factory In Ondo, Destroys N100m Equipment
- Tinunu Ignores Meeting To Take 'Final' Decision On Ambode
- Comedian AY Clears The Air On His "Incentive Comment" About D'band & Wife
- Police, Others Praised For Professional Conduct In Osun Poll
- Osinbajo Says No Discrimination In Buhari’s Administration