It’s the Way to 21st Century economy— Erogbogbo
Stories by Dayo Adesulu
TECHNICAL education has been identified as the way forward from Nigeria’s economic quagmire. According to an expert, technical education is that knowledge needed by students to enhance the manufacturing of goods for export and domestic use.
Executive Secretary of Lagos State Technical and Vocational Education Board, LASTVEB, Mrs. Omolara Erogbogbo, lamented that while many countries of the world have embraced technical knowledge, our country is still being persuaded to do so.
Speaking during an interactive session with the media in Lagos, she said: “The economic progress of the nation greatly depends on its industrialisation.” Erogbogbo who urged states of the federation to key in, noted that the Lagos State Government, which is the economic hub of the country, has since established 10 technical schools.
According to her, embracing technical and vocational skills acquisition by young people in Lagos State would address the skills gap in the economy as well as provide means for young people to be relevant.
Developing new enterprises
She said: “The training offered through LASTVEB has ensured adequate skills training, empowerment of young people, preparing them for the world of work, providing job opportunities and keeping the youth of Lagos off the streets. We have chosen to champion technical and vocational education as it focuses specifically on providing job-related skills for students whilst also preparing them to be positioned to develop new enterprises.”
She disclosed that the government was proposing additional technical colleges in the state and maintained that technical education was not for drop-outs. She said, “apart from the technical skills, the students are also required to learn Physics, Chemistry, Biology, English Language and Mathematics as a prerequisite for NABTEB final examination.”
Erogbogbo urged parents, guardians and secondary school leavers to embrace technical education, stressing that it was free. She explained that technical education would allow students learn a trade and and get skills for the future.
For those who think going through technical education means the end of their career, Erogbogbo said after going through technical college, the students can study further in the universities or become entrepreneurs.
She urged governments, parents, guardians and teachers to encourage students to get technical education, adding that they stand a better chance of securing jobs ahead of their counterparts in the universities, polytechnics and colleges of education. According to her, many of LASTVEB graduates are now working with multinationals in Nigeria.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Banks struggle between steady income lines, declining profits
- Okorocha may sacrifice son-in-law governorship ambition
- Customs raises alarms over fake recruitment sites
- Drogba sends warning to Super Eagles ahead of Argentina clash
- Iheanacho confident of victory against Argentina
- Oil hits $74.10/barrel as OPEC moves toward spiking supply
- Nigeria to begin fuel exportation by 2019, says Baru
- 2018 World Cup: Pogba reveals Nigeria will be tough opponents
- Mikel to wear arm guard against Argentina
- Nigeria has highest number of extremely poor people – Report
- Bishop Oyedepo: You Can Be A Christian and Miss Heaven
- 5 Mistakes Graduates Are Making That's Denying Them Success
- TRAGIC! Obituary Of Lady & Her Brother Who Died In Accident
- Makeup Artist Transforms Lady Who Survived Burns Into A Queen For Her Wedding
- Boko Haram Fuel Supplier, Who's A Filling Station Manager, Nabbed By Soldiers
- Gunmen Disappear With Ondo Traditional Ruler's Wife
- Woman Who's A Witch Falls From Sky & Lands On Police Barrack In Delta State (Photos)
- PDP ridicules APC National Convention as ‘a mockery of democracy’
- Plateau killings: Buhari speaks tough, appeals for calm
- Saraki keeps APC leaders in suspense over his party membership
- See Woman Who Escaped After Over 100 Were Killed In Plateau
- How D'banj's Son Got Drowned In His Swimming Pool (Update)
- Imagine What Husband & Wife Did To This Boy Living With Them
- "Why I Didn't Attend APC Convention" – Kwankwaso
- Disgraced Ex-Minister Runs Abuja Clinic Without Licence For Years
- Nigeria Overtakes India As Poorest Country In The World
- "Why Herdsmen Killed People In Plateau" – Miyetti Allah Chairman
- Armed herdsmen kill 86 in Plateau
- Sowore blasts Buhari over 2018 Budget
- Buhari at war with NASS over disquieting budget crisis
- Police places N1m bounty on masked woman that “exposed” rich police officer
- Lagos Police Place N1m Reward On Masked Lady
- PhD Scandal: Embattled Osun Rector Arrested, Detained
- PDP To APC Chairman Oshiomhole: "Submit Yourself To EFCC"
- ‘Time Will Tell’ On My Position In APC - Saraki
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Computer Accessories To Make Life Easy
- Fayose's Wife Bags Masters Degree From Ekiti State University
- See Young Kidnapper Who Abducted People In Rivers State (Pics)
- D’banj’s Son & Only Child Dies