By Elizabeth Adegbesan
The monthly increase in food inflation persisted for the fourth consecutive month in May reflecting continued impact of farmers-herders clashes on food prices.
However, the Headline inflation rate declined, year-on-year (YoY), for the 16th consecutive months to 11.61 percent in May from 12.48 percent in April.
The National Bureau of Statistics (NBS) disclosed this in its Inflation report for May released yesterday.
The Bureau said the Consumer Price Index (CPI) which measures inflation dropped to 11.61 percent (YoY) in May 2018 from 13.34 percent in April, and also showed a drop to 1.09 percent from .83 percent month-on-month (MoM).
The NBS however stated that the Composite Food index, which measures food inflation rose MoM to 1.33 percent in May from 0.91 percent in April, representing the fourth consecutive monthly increase in Food inflation. Vanguard analysis showed that the Composite Food Index has rose by 48 basis points from February to May.
This confirms projection by FSDH Merchant Bank analysts who said that the country risks further decline in food supply, which could lead to upsurge in food prices if the herdsmen/farmers clashes across the country remain unchecked.
They stated this in the bank’s Inflation Watch report while also projecting a further drop in May inflation rate to 11.5 percent from 12.48 percent recorded in April.
The report stated: “FSDH Research notes that there is a potential increase in the local prices of imported food items because of the faster than expected increase in the international food prices. Looking beyond the May inflation figure, the developments in the domestic agricultural sector may place upward pressure on prices if not checked.
“FSDH Research observes that the agricultural Gross Domestic Product (GDP) growth rate in first quarter (Q1’ 2018) recorded the lowest growth rate in the last 18 quarters since 2014.
“The insecurity challenges in the food producing states in the country may be responsible for this development. If the trend continues, food supply may drop leading to escalating prices. Thus, both local and imported food prices may place upward pressure on inflation rate.”
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Sacked Lagos Houseboy Mobilizes Soldiers To Beat Up Boss
- Osun Election: Saraki Faults INEC Verdict, Urges PDP Supporters To Remain Firm
- What Saraki, Dogara Have Done To NASS - Senator Ndume
- No Regrets Serving Nigeria Under Jonathan - Ex VP Sambo
- 2019:Former Speaker confirms how much Ambode still needs prayer
- Osun poll: PDP kicks against rerun
- Photos Of President Buhari & Wife Departing Nigeria For US
- Female Footballers Involve In Bus Accident In Kogi, Their Driver Is Unconscious
- "How I Joined Kidney Business" - Human Kidneys' Hunters
- Saraki Wins Over Omisore of SDP to Support PDP Defeat APC?
- Lagos 2019: Sanwo-Olu compounds Ambode’s woes
- Kwese Premier League resumes with Conference eight crackers.
- Top five Nigerian players in the UEFA Europa League this week
- I celebrate Akinwunmi over NFF victory—-MFM FC new director
- Aisha Buhari departs for New York to attend UNGA
- Anthony Joshua defeats Povetkin in seventh round
- Kogi United pips NAF Rockets to maintain promotion chase
- Buruj boys to present trophies to Ambode
- Saraki’s Senate has failed Nigerians—Senator
- Boat mishap claims lives in Borno
- Details Of 7 Units Where Rerun Will Hold In Osun September 27
- Lady Jumps Out Of A Moving Car To Escape Robbery In Abuja
- Ras Kimono's Wife Dies Just 3 Months After Husband's Death
- Prince Kazeem Eletu Odibo Empowers His PRO With Cash As She Adds Another Years
- Osun Decides: INEC Planning To Declare Election Inconclusive?
- Woman Breaks Down In Tears As Pastor Gave Her Entire Church Offerings (Photos)
- BREAKING: Osun Governorship Election Declared Inconclusive
- Tinubu/Ambode feud: Lagos APC insists on primary
- You Have My Blessings - IBB assures Tambuwal
- Dangerous Flood: Monarch weeps as town go under water
- Why Ooni of Ife Did Not Vote Yesterday In Osun Election
- Saraki Warns INEC On Osun Election: "We're Watching You"
- Osun: PDP leads as APC puts all hope on Osogbo
- Obasanjo's Refusal To Support Atiku For 2019: Ex-VP Reacts
- Vote Buying & Selling Get To A Level In Osun Election - Monitors
- Fire Guts Big Factory In Ondo, Destroys N100m Equipment
- Tinunu Ignores Meeting To Take 'Final' Decision On Ambode
- Comedian AY Clears The Air On His "Incentive Comment" About D'band & Wife
- Police, Others Praised For Professional Conduct In Osun Poll
- Osinbajo Says No Discrimination In Buhari’s Administration