By Elizabeth Adegbesan
The monthly increase in food inflation persisted for the fourth consecutive month in May reflecting continued impact of farmers-herders clashes on food prices.
However, the Headline inflation rate declined, year-on-year (YoY), for the 16th consecutive months to 11.61 percent in May from 12.48 percent in April.
The National Bureau of Statistics (NBS) disclosed this in its Inflation report for May released yesterday.
The Bureau said the Consumer Price Index (CPI) which measures inflation dropped to 11.61 percent (YoY) in May 2018 from 13.34 percent in April, and also showed a drop to 1.09 percent from .83 percent month-on-month (MoM).
The NBS however stated that the Composite Food index, which measures food inflation rose MoM to 1.33 percent in May from 0.91 percent in April, representing the fourth consecutive monthly increase in Food inflation. Vanguard analysis showed that the Composite Food Index has rose by 48 basis points from February to May.
This confirms projection by FSDH Merchant Bank analysts who said that the country risks further decline in food supply, which could lead to upsurge in food prices if the herdsmen/farmers clashes across the country remain unchecked.
They stated this in the bank’s Inflation Watch report while also projecting a further drop in May inflation rate to 11.5 percent from 12.48 percent recorded in April.
The report stated: “FSDH Research notes that there is a potential increase in the local prices of imported food items because of the faster than expected increase in the international food prices. Looking beyond the May inflation figure, the developments in the domestic agricultural sector may place upward pressure on prices if not checked.
“FSDH Research observes that the agricultural Gross Domestic Product (GDP) growth rate in first quarter (Q1’ 2018) recorded the lowest growth rate in the last 18 quarters since 2014.
“The insecurity challenges in the food producing states in the country may be responsible for this development. If the trend continues, food supply may drop leading to escalating prices. Thus, both local and imported food prices may place upward pressure on inflation rate.”
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- I’m dumping Enyimba for Katsina United —-Ezenwa
- Difficult match but we came out victorious– Alex Iwobi
- Flying Eagles will approach Junior Mena with all seriousness— Paul Aigbogun
- FIFA & France sign agreement on African Football
- Boko Haram: ICC accuses Nigerian security forces of war crimes
- Arrest of Atiku’s son, tales by mischief makers – EFCC
- 2019: Saraki Urges INEC, security agencies, stakeholders to ensure credible elections
- Nigeria’s infrastructure deficit to hit $878b by 2040 – SEC DG
- I thank Watford family for believing in me—–Isaac Success
- Palace ‘interested in signing Moses with Chelsea for £12m
- 19th NSF: Toriola Oshonaike crashed out of Table tennis mixed double
- I Weep For President Buhari, His Wife Has Cried Out Endlessly - Dele Momodu
- Check Out Emirates' 'Diamond-encrusted' Airplane Going Viral Online (Photos)
- Luiz keen on Chelsea’s stay
- Oil marketers dare FG, shut down depots
- Christianity under siege in China
- Oil marketers suspend strike, gives FG 5-day grace
- Banks spend N555bn in nine months for customers’ relations
- Govenor Amosun in urgent meeting with Buhari
- Access Bank bags CBN’s Award
- 2019 Election: Senate declares public hearing on vote-buying
- AMCON says asset management partners to help recover N740bn
- DMO enlists support of sub-national entities in managing Nigeria’s rising public debt
- Brilliant Nigerian Lady Abisoye Wins CNN Heroes Awards 2018
- Sharing Trader Moni Weeks To Election Is Vote Buying - Dogara
- EFCC Reveals Why They Raided Atiku's Sons Apartment
- Nigeria's GDP Rises To 1.81% In Third Quarter, After Falling From 7% Since 2016
- Offa robbery: Police debunks report on missing stolen money
- 2019: Buhari’s arrests Sowore’s supporters
- 2019: Buhari’s arrests Sowore’s supporters
- Riverplate Clinch Copa Libertadores After Edging Out Boca
- FIFA & France Sign Agreement on African Football
- Tinubu Is My Friend, But I'll Free Lagos From Him - Jimi Agbaje
- Seriously? Human Bones Found Buried in Front of Popular Hotel in Lagos
- See Actor Gideon Okeke Getting His Lips Stitched After Being Brutalized By Policemen In Lagos
- I Was Aspiring To Be Chief Of Staff But God Turned The Table Around - Sanwo-Olu
- Atiku's Sons Apartment Raided By EFCC In Abuja
- Senator kicks against overriding Buhari’s veto
- Buhari constitutes committee on state’s judiciary autonomy
- Woman Brutally Attacked by Robbers on Her Way from Church in Rivers (Photos)