By Elizabeth Adegbesan
The monthly increase in food inflation persisted for the fourth consecutive month in May reflecting continued impact of farmers-herders clashes on food prices.
However, the Headline inflation rate declined, year-on-year (YoY), for the 16th consecutive months to 11.61 percent in May from 12.48 percent in April.
The National Bureau of Statistics (NBS) disclosed this in its Inflation report for May released yesterday.
The Bureau said the Consumer Price Index (CPI) which measures inflation dropped to 11.61 percent (YoY) in May 2018 from 13.34 percent in April, and also showed a drop to 1.09 percent from .83 percent month-on-month (MoM).
The NBS however stated that the Composite Food index, which measures food inflation rose MoM to 1.33 percent in May from 0.91 percent in April, representing the fourth consecutive monthly increase in Food inflation. Vanguard analysis showed that the Composite Food Index has rose by 48 basis points from February to May.
This confirms projection by FSDH Merchant Bank analysts who said that the country risks further decline in food supply, which could lead to upsurge in food prices if the herdsmen/farmers clashes across the country remain unchecked.
They stated this in the bank’s Inflation Watch report while also projecting a further drop in May inflation rate to 11.5 percent from 12.48 percent recorded in April.
The report stated: “FSDH Research notes that there is a potential increase in the local prices of imported food items because of the faster than expected increase in the international food prices. Looking beyond the May inflation figure, the developments in the domestic agricultural sector may place upward pressure on prices if not checked.
“FSDH Research observes that the agricultural Gross Domestic Product (GDP) growth rate in first quarter (Q1’ 2018) recorded the lowest growth rate in the last 18 quarters since 2014.
“The insecurity challenges in the food producing states in the country may be responsible for this development. If the trend continues, food supply may drop leading to escalating prices. Thus, both local and imported food prices may place upward pressure on inflation rate.”
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- CDHR task Buhari on poverty/insecurity
- Attacks on Plateau communities retaliatory, says Miyetti Allah
- Bureau official arraigned for murder
- Buhari blames desperate politicians for killings in Plateau
- APC Convention: “Kwankwaso just ended political career”
- D'Banj Was Advised About That Swimming Pool & His Son
- Banks struggle between steady income lines, declining profits
- Okorocha may sacrifice son-in-law governorship ambition
- Customs raises alarms over fake recruitment sites
- Drogba sends warning to Super Eagles ahead of Argentina clash
- Iheanacho confident of victory against Argentina
- Oil hits $74.10/barrel as OPEC moves toward spiking supply
- Nigeria to begin fuel exportation by 2019, says Baru
- 2018 World Cup: Pogba reveals Nigeria will be tough opponents
- Mikel to wear arm guard against Argentina
- Nigeria has highest number of extremely poor people – Report
- Bishop Oyedepo: You Can Be A Christian and Miss Heaven
- 5 Mistakes Graduates Are Making That's Denying Them Success
- TRAGIC! Obituary Of Lady & Her Brother Who Died In Accident
- Makeup Artist Transforms Lady Who Survived Burns Into A Queen For Her Wedding
- Boko Haram Fuel Supplier, Who's A Filling Station Manager, Nabbed By Soldiers
- Gunmen Disappear With Ondo Traditional Ruler's Wife
- Woman Who's A Witch Falls From Sky & Lands On Police Barrack In Delta State (Photos)
- PDP ridicules APC National Convention as ‘a mockery of democracy’
- Plateau killings: Buhari speaks tough, appeals for calm
- Saraki keeps APC leaders in suspense over his party membership
- See Woman Who Escaped After Over 100 Were Killed In Plateau
- How D'banj's Son Got Drowned In His Swimming Pool (Update)
- Imagine What Husband & Wife Did To This Boy Living With Them
- "Why I Didn't Attend APC Convention" – Kwankwaso
- Disgraced Ex-Minister Runs Abuja Clinic Without Licence For Years
- Nigeria Overtakes India As Poorest Country In The World
- "Why Herdsmen Killed People In Plateau" – Miyetti Allah Chairman
- Armed herdsmen kill 86 in Plateau
- Sowore blasts Buhari over 2018 Budget
- Buhari at war with NASS over disquieting budget crisis
- Police places N1m bounty on masked woman that “exposed” rich police officer
- Lagos Police Place N1m Reward On Masked Lady
- PhD Scandal: Embattled Osun Rector Arrested, Detained
- PDP To APC Chairman Oshiomhole: "Submit Yourself To EFCC"