…Edo govt plans Int’l conference to tackle scourge
The Regional Director for West and Central Africa, International Organisation for Migration (IOM), Mr. Richard Danziger, has commended Edo State Governor, Godwin Obaseki, for the proactive and strategic management of the menace of human trafficking and illegal migration, noting that the template developed and implemented by the state is worth emulating.
Danziger, who said this during a courtesy visit to the governor at the Government House, Benin City, Edo State, noted “Your administration has set the pace in the way it has continued to manage the issue of irregular migration and human trafficking. You have set the template for others to borrow from.”
He added that the IOM will sustain its partnership with the Edo State Taskforce Against Human Trafficking and Irregular Migration as well as provide support to the state government through publicity campaigns in other parts of the world on the efforts made by the state to address the problem.
Governor Obaseki said the state government is planning to hold an international conference for critical stakeholders to meet, assess and renew support for the campaign against human trafficking and irregular migration.
Noting that the international conference will help strengthen the campaign and address cogent issues, he said, “We need more support in deploying resources to assist victims of human trafficking, as we expect more of them.”
Explaining the strategy for curbing the menace, he said the state government’s campaign is anchored on four approaches, which include: returnees’ management, curbing or reducing irregular migration, dealing with the criminal gangs who profit from the practice and revamping the education system.
Obaseki noted that irregular migration and human trafficking are not peculiar to Edo State, but forms part of the problems confronting the entire country.
“As a government, we are to develop realistic economic development plans and programmes that would impact lives of the people, especially those in rural communities as well as create opportunities for people in the city.”
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- N2.5bn fraud: Aisha Buhari reacts
- Osun rerun: Omisore ignores PDP, settles for APC
- Osun Rerun: Oshiomhole, Lai, Ganduje finally seal deal with Omisore
- Lady Gets Yam, Beans, Pawpaw As Best Creative Advert Student
- Why PDP's Adeleke Is Leading Our Candidate In Osun Election - APC Chieftain
- Policemen Used For Osun Election Involved In Fatal Accident
- Osun tie: Matters arising
- Customs generates N852m revenue in 1month
- Minimum wage: ULC threatens nationwide strike,pitch workers against insensitive politicians
- Pressure mounts on UN to fire Obasanjo
- Aisha Buhari orders arrest of her ADC over 2.5billion fraud
- NCC not interested in social media gagging bill, says Ojobo
- Lekan Shonde's Wife "Died Of Brain Injuries"
- Osun Rerun: Omisore, Lasun Agree To Help APC Fight PDP?
- Applicant Dies During FRSC Recruitment In Kogi
- Why INEC Must Declare Collected PVCs For Osun Rerun
- Nigerian Ladies Caught On CCTV Stealing From A Store
- Fear Of Dancing Senator: Oshiomhole, 5 APC Governors Run To Omisore Again
- Woman, Male Friend Nabbed for Using Drone to Monitor Osoba's House (Photos)
- Adeleke Family's Statement On "Rejecting Help" From Omisore
- Tips To Network Better With People For More Opportunities
- Buhari Sends Fayemi From US To "Beg" Omisore For Osun Rerun
- Akpabio Secures APC Nomination As Consensus Candidate
- Minimum Wage: NLC Directs Workers To Begin Strike Tomorrow
- Why My ADC Was Arrested – Aisha Buhari
- Woman In Trouble For Killing Her Husband's Daughter
- Warning From CBN: Our Economy May Fall Into Recession
- Why I Want My Son-in-law To Be Kano Governor - Kwankwaso
- PDP Demands Resignation Of INEC Chairman & Buhari's Sister Who's Director Of Operations
- Federal Government Revives 18 Fertiliser Blending Plants
- Deputy Speaker, Eight Others In Oyo Assembly Defect To ADC
- Cultists Come Out Of Their Hideout, Denounce Membership
- 'I Thought It Was 419' - Thomas Etuh speaks on first meeting with Buhari
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Court orders senator to be summoned on newspaper
- APC gov.-elect visits Omisore
- Billionaire Femi Otedola Pictured With FIFA President
- I Didn't Purchase ADC Governorship Form For Governor Ambode - Former Speaker Ikuforiji
- Tears As Massive Flood Kills Pastor & His Wife In Imo State