– Ahead of this year’s FIFA World Cup in Russia, the prize money for the winner of the title has been revealed
– The last team standing at the tournament will cart away a sum of $38 million while the runners up will go home with $28 million
The winners of the 2018 edition of the FIFA World Cup in Russia will go home with nothing less than $38 million (£28 million) after the tournament ends in mid-July.
This year’s edition of the championship kicks off on Thursday, June 14, with host nation Russia battling Saudi Arabia for their first three points of the competition.
According to the Associated Press, the world football governing body, FIFA in October increased the overall prize money for the tourney to $400 million (£297 million).
Nigeria and the remaining 31 countries will be given $8 million (£6 million) each for their appearance fees for the competition, the same amount that participating teams got at the last edition in Brazil.
Meanwhile, teams that fail to progress beyond the round of 16 stage at this year’s edition will earn $12 million (£9 million).
FIFA are said to have paid all qualified countries $1.5 million preparation fees, while the first 16 teams that will crash out at the group stage will earn $8 million.
Teams that crash out of the tournament in Russia at the quarterfinal stage will earn $16 million (£11.9 million) while the those finishing third and fourth get $24 million (£17.8 million) and $22 million (£16 million), respectively.
The silver winning country will cart home a stunning $28 million (£20.8 million) – $10 million lesser than the ultimate money for the championship.
Germany are the defending champions are they were awarded $35 million in prize money for winning the 2014 of the tourney.
PAY ATTENTION: Click on link to get World Cup fixtures on NAIJ.com
Argentina will be paid $25 million for finishing as runners-up in 2014, while each of the 32 nations that reached the finals in Brazil have earned at least $8 million.
NAIJ.com earlier reported that Nigeria’s Super Eagles will kick off their campaign at the 2018 FIFA World Cup in Russia against Croatia at the Kaliningrad Stadium on Saturday, June 16.
The three time African champions are in Group D alongside Argentina, Croatia, and Iceland in this summer’s event kicking off on June 14.
PAY ATTENTION: Click on link to get World Cup standings on NAIJ.com
However, the 2013 AFCON kings are rated 19th most expensive squad in the competition as they are valued at £115.1 million ($154 million).
FIFA World Cup 2018: Do You Think Super Eagles Have a Chance? – NAIJ.com TV
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Man wants divorce after dreaming this
- Why Porto signed me on loan—–Nwakali
- I did not call Sterling a Black C***’ – Abusive Chelsea Fan
- Ex-Super Eagles player, Obinna Nsofor, celebrates Italian citizenship
- Toure dumps club
- Iwobi speaks on dilemma
- Barca equal Bayern’s champions league record
- Manchester City agree deal for USA keeper
- Arraignment of Omokore, other stalled in court
- Buhari's Minister Resigns To Become Traditional Ruler
- Missing Boy Found 2 Years After Abduction, Notorious Female Kidnapper Nabbed
- Kidnappers Are Threatening To Kill This Pregnant Lady Within 24hours Over Money (Photos)
- Face Of Woman Arrested After Mobilizing Thugs To Beat Up Her Security For Demanding His Salary
- Shock As Lady Having S*x With Men For Money Is Murdered For Money Ritual (Photos)
- 'I Will Fight It' - UK's Theresa May faces Vote of No Confidence, may lose her position
- Donald Duke, Sowore, Others React As Only 5 Candidates Are Picked For Presidential Debate
- OMG! Therapist Commits Suicide After Helping Fellow Nigerian Overcome Depression
- PHOTOS: Atiku, Ezekwesili Sign Peace Accord In Abuja
- Trump awarded almost $300,000 in Daniels defamation lawsuit
- Lagos and the garbage question
- Rising political tension responsible for capital market woes – Don
- Yemi Alade breaks internet with her near-nude photos
- Pageantry: 10 Minutes With Winner Of Mr And Mrs. Aviation
- Simi Live In Late Lagos: Good, bad and ugly
- Rich 70yrs Old Alhaji Marries 15-Year-Old Nigerian Girl (Photos)
- Break Traffic Laws In Lagos and Get 3 Years Imprisonment - Lagos Govt. Warns
- 19-Year-Old Nigerian Breaks Record In US Air Force (Photos)
- Buhari Challenged By PDP: Probe Your Associates, Relatives Involved In Corruption
- OBJ Replies Presidency: Allow Me Focus On Supporting Atiku
- Wife Who Killed Nigerian Traditional Ruler Sentenced To Death
- Reactions As Buhari Excludes S-East and S-South From EFCC
- Lekan Shonde asks court to reduce charge to manslaughter over wife's murder case
- Put Nigeria First In Conducting 2019 Election - Buhari to INEC
- Did Oshiomhole Attack Aisha Buhari Over Her Comment?
- Deadly Gunmen Hijack Bus Loaded With Nigerians Travelling
- Thank You For Returning Stolen Funds - Buhari To Swiss Govt
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Boki confers first chieftaincy title in 30yrs on UNICAL VC
- This is why north will gain more from restructuring – Kukah
- US dismisses Jonathan’s allegations against Obama