– Ahead of this year’s FIFA World Cup in Russia, the prize money for the winner of the title has been revealed
– The last team standing at the tournament will cart away a sum of $38 million while the runners up will go home with $28 million
The winners of the 2018 edition of the FIFA World Cup in Russia will go home with nothing less than $38 million (£28 million) after the tournament ends in mid-July.
This year’s edition of the championship kicks off on Thursday, June 14, with host nation Russia battling Saudi Arabia for their first three points of the competition.
According to the Associated Press, the world football governing body, FIFA in October increased the overall prize money for the tourney to $400 million (£297 million).
Nigeria and the remaining 31 countries will be given $8 million (£6 million) each for their appearance fees for the competition, the same amount that participating teams got at the last edition in Brazil.
Meanwhile, teams that fail to progress beyond the round of 16 stage at this year’s edition will earn $12 million (£9 million).
FIFA are said to have paid all qualified countries $1.5 million preparation fees, while the first 16 teams that will crash out at the group stage will earn $8 million.
Teams that crash out of the tournament in Russia at the quarterfinal stage will earn $16 million (£11.9 million) while the those finishing third and fourth get $24 million (£17.8 million) and $22 million (£16 million), respectively.
The silver winning country will cart home a stunning $28 million (£20.8 million) – $10 million lesser than the ultimate money for the championship.
Germany are the defending champions are they were awarded $35 million in prize money for winning the 2014 of the tourney.
PAY ATTENTION: Click on link to get World Cup fixtures on NAIJ.com
Argentina will be paid $25 million for finishing as runners-up in 2014, while each of the 32 nations that reached the finals in Brazil have earned at least $8 million.
NAIJ.com earlier reported that Nigeria’s Super Eagles will kick off their campaign at the 2018 FIFA World Cup in Russia against Croatia at the Kaliningrad Stadium on Saturday, June 16.
The three time African champions are in Group D alongside Argentina, Croatia, and Iceland in this summer’s event kicking off on June 14.
PAY ATTENTION: Click on link to get World Cup standings on NAIJ.com
However, the 2013 AFCON kings are rated 19th most expensive squad in the competition as they are valued at £115.1 million ($154 million).
FIFA World Cup 2018: Do You Think Super Eagles Have a Chance? – NAIJ.com TV
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Court orders senator to be summoned on newspaper
- APC gov.-elect visits Omisore
- Billionaire Femi Otedola Pictured With FIFA President
- I Didn't Purchase ADC Governorship Form For Governor Ambode - Former Speaker Ikuforiji
- Tears As Massive Flood Kills Pastor & His Wife In Imo State
- OPM Church Admits Boy Who Was Learning Mechanic Into Its Free School
- PDP afraid of rerun in Osun, says APC
- Prudent Energy Handball League to commence on Wednesday
- Anderson gains revenge over Novak Djokovic
- CAF Cup: Ikpeazu hails Enyimba for trouncing Rayon
- Tiger Woods wins first trophy in five years
- Mbaoma shoots Akwa United to top group
- Ballon d’Or: France football magazine to present award to best female player
- Tunde Sanni resigns as ABS coach
- Many Jubilate As Court Declares Okorocha Deputy's Impeachment Illegal (Photos)
- Tinubu's Ex-Wife & Mother Of His First Son Is Dead
- DSS Confirms Arrest, Detention Of Aisha Buhari’s ADC
- EXPOSED: INEC Removed 4,387 Votes From Our Ballots – PDP
- Fani-Kayode Visits Kwankwaso At His Residence
- APC Sends Kayode Fayemi To Omisore's House
- NSCDC begins inspection of petrol stations in Nasarawa State
- Real Madrid joins race for Ajax Fenkie de jong
- Pique: History speaks for itself
- Allegri: Ronaldo’s mentality, stronger than others
- Carragher: Arsenal, Man utd will miss out on top 4
- FG explains why Nigeria Air project was suspended
- CBN releases new cheque standard
- CBN retains rates again
- Stakeholders express concerns over adulterated palm oil
- CUSTOMS: FOU Owerri impounds military Camouflage, Tramadol, others
- Baby Escapes Death After Crawling Into A Major Road (Photo)
- FG Opens Up On Reason For Suspending Nigeria Air
- Robbers Busted After Snatching SUV From Victim At Gunpoint
- 2019: Abdulsalami Peace Committee In Closed-Door Meeting With INEC Chairman
- Special Offer On Trips To Dubai
- Farmers urged to harvest produce on time
- Aisha Buhari Orders Arrest Of Her Own ADC, Alleges N2.5b Fraud
- Singer Timi Dakolo Shares Fun Pic With Wife
- Ambode Moves Against LGA Chairmen Who Didn't Endorse Him, Considers Massive Sack?
- Face Of Heartless Son Who Killed His Father To Inherit Millions