– Ahead of this year’s FIFA World Cup in Russia, the prize money for the winner of the title has been revealed
– The last team standing at the tournament will cart away a sum of $38 million while the runners up will go home with $28 million
The winners of the 2018 edition of the FIFA World Cup in Russia will go home with nothing less than $38 million (£28 million) after the tournament ends in mid-July.
This year’s edition of the championship kicks off on Thursday, June 14, with host nation Russia battling Saudi Arabia for their first three points of the competition.
According to the Associated Press, the world football governing body, FIFA in October increased the overall prize money for the tourney to $400 million (£297 million).
Nigeria and the remaining 31 countries will be given $8 million (£6 million) each for their appearance fees for the competition, the same amount that participating teams got at the last edition in Brazil.
Meanwhile, teams that fail to progress beyond the round of 16 stage at this year’s edition will earn $12 million (£9 million).
FIFA are said to have paid all qualified countries $1.5 million preparation fees, while the first 16 teams that will crash out at the group stage will earn $8 million.
Teams that crash out of the tournament in Russia at the quarterfinal stage will earn $16 million (£11.9 million) while the those finishing third and fourth get $24 million (£17.8 million) and $22 million (£16 million), respectively.
The silver winning country will cart home a stunning $28 million (£20.8 million) – $10 million lesser than the ultimate money for the championship.
Germany are the defending champions are they were awarded $35 million in prize money for winning the 2014 of the tourney.
PAY ATTENTION: Click on link to get World Cup fixtures on NAIJ.com
Argentina will be paid $25 million for finishing as runners-up in 2014, while each of the 32 nations that reached the finals in Brazil have earned at least $8 million.
NAIJ.com earlier reported that Nigeria’s Super Eagles will kick off their campaign at the 2018 FIFA World Cup in Russia against Croatia at the Kaliningrad Stadium on Saturday, June 16.
The three time African champions are in Group D alongside Argentina, Croatia, and Iceland in this summer’s event kicking off on June 14.
PAY ATTENTION: Click on link to get World Cup standings on NAIJ.com
However, the 2013 AFCON kings are rated 19th most expensive squad in the competition as they are valued at £115.1 million ($154 million).
FIFA World Cup 2018: Do You Think Super Eagles Have a Chance? – NAIJ.com TV
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Mistakes To Avoid When Travelling Abroad
- Oshiomhole Reacts To Killings, Gov. Ortom's Exit From APC
- 'Killer' Of Ex-Deputy Governor's Daughter Remanded In Prison
- Fayose Replies Presidency: "Buhari Should Bury His Head In Shame"
- Female Student Deceived, R*ped By Alfa In Lagos
- Ekiti Election: INEC Dares PDP To Go To Court
- Presidency Says Buhari Has Done A Lot About Killings (Details)
- Gang Members Arrested For Robbing Women
- Policemen Extort N100,000 From Building Contractor, Threaten To Kill Him (Evidence)
- Ex-NSA Dasuki Perfects His Bail Conditions, To Regain Freedom
- Kano fire service saves 669 lives, N2.2 bn goods
- Benue governor, Ortom finally quits APC
- Cybercrime: Benin Republic sentences Nigerian students to jail
- Crisis rock Osun APC as party suspends chairman, secretary
- “Why we appointed Ali Modu Sheriff as Buhari campaign manager”
- APC tackles Saraki as another coalition linked to him
- Governor Ortom Dumps APC
- Photos Of Ronaldo Undergoing Medical As He Moves To Juventus
- See Damages Caused By Heavy Rain In Katsina, 25 Killed
- Why ICC invites only Buhari of all world leaders
- Dogara aide dumps APC
- $680m: Oando boss, Tinubu in another messy court case
- Protesters hold bank to ransom in Lagos
- UBA bags best institution in digital banking across Africa
- Tips on how to cope with high blood pressure
- World Cup Final Referee is an idiot – Roy Keane
- SEC reiterates commitment to robust capital market
- Ekiti 2018: ‘Fictitious’ final result causes uproar
- NIMC requires N150bn to enrol every Nigerian
- How INEC conspired with APC to rig Ekiti election – Olushola
- Boko Haram abducts 23 soldiers in Borno state
- I'm Not Afraid Of EFCC, I Won't Run Away From Nigeria - Fayose
- PHOTOS: Many Dead As Bus Goes Off The Road and Plunges Into Edo River
- Soldiers Patrolling Ekiti After APC Governorship Victory (Photos)
- Update On Girl Kidnapped At Lagos Christ Embassy: Fraudsters Contact Family For Money
- Customs Officer Kills Two Colleagues In Lagos
- FUNNY!! How APC's Fayemi Out Spend Fayose's PDP In Ekiti
- I Abducted My Employer’s Son To Raise Money — Arrested Guard
- NYSC Forgery Saga: Police IG Asked To Probe Kemi Adeosun