Since the inception of the Africa Women Cup of Nations (AWCON) in 1991, Nigeria has won the tournament a record 10 times. Now, the country is getting another shot at the continental trophy, having qualified for the 2018 edition set to hold in Ghana.
FT: Nigeria 6-0 Gambia (7-0 agg)
Reiging champions Super Falcons have qualified for the 2018 African Women's Cup of Nations which will be held in Ghana in November which will serve as the chase 3 African teams to the 2019 @FIFAWWC #SoarSuperFalcons #AWCON2018Q pic.twitter.com/J4mh39sxmS— NGSuper_Falcons (@NGSuper_Falcons) June 11, 2018
The Super Falcons qualified on a 7-0 aggregate by beating The Gambia 1-0 in their home, and 6-0 in Lagos.
With four goals to her name, Desire Oparanozie was the star player at the second qualifying round in Lagos on Monday. Asisat Oshoala scored two more goals, ensuring The Gambia was convinced about Nigeria’s superiority.
In addition to Nigeria, the 2018 AWCON will feature Cameroon, Equatorial Guinea, Algeria, South Africa, Zambia, Mali and the host, Ghana. Based on past records, South Africa and Cameroon are Nigeria’s biggest opponents. So, when it comes to these teams, the Super Falcons will have their work cut out for them as they attempt to win the trophy for the eleventh time.
@OrdegaF @EBIONOME pic.twitter.com/DjNqisEoOA— modovictor (@modovictorekene) June 11, 2018
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- NNPC’s Brass LNG Project: Anatomy of organized sabotage?
- Super Eagles will bounce back —Pinnick
- Neymar misses Brazil World Cup training
- 19-year old Super Eagles’ goalkeeper celebrates son’s 17th birthday
- Saudi Arabia suffers scare after plane catches fire
- Rohr replies Okocha over formation in Croatia c lash
- Nnaji hails Ambode appointment as delegate to Russia
- Why investors are scrambling for Japaul Oil shares
- MTN set to take over Visafone license
- ZTE shares plunges as Senate battles Trump over reprieve
- Fuel subsidy payment hits N2.4bn daily in May
- Female Medical Doctor Dies, 3 Nurses Slumps... they've not been paid for months
- Babymamas Drag Father's Day, Musician Gifts Dad New Bentley To Mark Father's Day
- China stocks tumble over fresh US fresh tariff threat
- Sickle cell patients get succor as M&B commences production of drug
- Buhari ignores Saraki, Dogara, others in new peace talk
- ISIS attacks: FG intensifies screening of passengers, luggage at airports
- NNPC, Shell to begin $10bn Bonga Southwest projects
- Equities market to rebound on bargain hunting
- Obasanjo Talks Tough, Calls For Sacking Of Buhari's Government
- Super Eagles Paying Too Much Attention To Fashion?
- Nigerian Lady Dies From Electrocution As She Slept Off While Charging Her Phone
- Lagos Police sack Commander of Anti-Cult Squad for "Corruption"
- Kidnapper Who Killed Nigerian Lawmaker After Collecting Ransom Captured In A Forest
- Buhari Shocks NewPDP, Says He Won't Meet With Them
- LASTMA officials ‘detain’ schoolchildren over driver’s traffic offence
- Be ready to accept defeat in good faith, Atiku tells APC
- Notorious Cultists Fight Openly In Lagos, One Killed
- 10 Skills That Are Very Useful To Know Today
- EFCC goes after politicians, parties’ bank accounts
- Abuja airport records 1.02m passengers in Q1 – FAAN
- Good Reasons To Consider Flying First Class When You Can
- "I Am Not Going To America" - Atiku Abubakar
- Lucky Boy who was Street Painter 4 Years Ago, is now a Millionaire Football Star
- Rice Smuggling: Government Shuts Land Border
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Chelsea criticize Moses over poor performance against Croatia
- Night guards shot at us as we acted a robbery scene – Micheal Kalu
- Redeemers begin political campaign towards 2019