Chidiebube Okeoma, Owerri
The Imo State Commissioner of Police, Mr Dasuki Galandanchi, on Tuesday paraded two teenagers, Emmanuel Ewudo, and Chinwe Nwaane, (15), and 23 others for attempted robbery, kidnapping and burglary.
Parading the suspects, the police boss said the command would charge them to court after investigation.
But one of the suspects, Ewudo pleaded for leniency, adding that they attempted the crime because they were trying to raise funds to register for the West Africa Certificate Examination.
He said, “Please help us beg the police not to kill us, we are sorry for breaking into somebody’s house, we were trying to raise funds to register for the West Africa Certificate Examination.”
The boys, who are students of Bishop Shina-Hand College in Orlu, said that their quest to pay for the WACE fees led them into crime.
Galandanchi said the duo broke into the residence of one Mrs. Chigozie Ohajiogu in Akokwa, Ideato North Local Government Area of Imo State with the intent to rob her.
Her cry, according to Galandanchi, made the suspects to flee, adding that they returned in about 45 minutes later but escaped being arrested by policemen that had come to secure the area.
He said they were nabbed in their school.
The other suspect, Nwaane, said, “Yes we are students. My father has been bedridden and in hospital and unable to pay my WAEC fees, I begged my friend to accompany me somewhere. We went to rob the woman but we were not successful.
“We were caught one day after. We are very scared, we don’t want to be killed but we know that it is wrong to break into somebody’s house.”
Meanwhile, the police commissioner disclosed that a total of 45 suspected criminals had so far been arrested.
“At least, 24 of them were arrested for armed robbery, 12 people for kidnapping; eight for cultism and one for child trafficking. Eleven others were arrested for unlawful possession of firearms, three caught for stealing electric cables belonging to communities and one for internet fraud,” he said.
Galadinchi disclosed that five kidnap victims were rescued while six stolen vehicles 17 telephone handsets and one laptop were recovered from the suspects.
Amongst the suspects paraded for kidnapping was one Patrick Ogidi who specialised in kidnapping elderly persons aged 80 years and above, whose children were forced to pay ransom.
Ogidi, who hails from Obiagbu in Ohaji-Egbema LGA said he preferred to kidnap octogenarians because they are frail and would not give him any concerns over escape.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from PUNCH.
Contact: [email protected]
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Did Oshiomhole Attack Aisha Buhari Over Her Comment?
- Deadly Gunmen Hijack Bus Loaded With Nigerians Travelling
- Thank You For Returning Stolen Funds - Buhari To Swiss Govt
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Boki confers first chieftaincy title in 30yrs on UNICAL VC
- This is why north will gain more from restructuring – Kukah
- US dismisses Jonathan’s allegations against Obama
- Youths may use NYSC, degree certificates as collateral for loans
- Army replies ICC over war crimes allegation
- EFCC arrests ex-Skye Bank Chairman for fraud
- Jubilation as police arrest suspected cultist leader in Osun
- Nigeria customs seizes goods worth N2.7 billion within 4weeks
- Buhari writes the Senate on why he declined the electoral amendment bill
- Ex-commissioner of police urges FG to strengthen country’s border
- Why I Did Not Attend Peace Accord Signing In Abuja - Atiku
- Why I Refused To Sign Amended Electoral Bill - Buhari
- I Will Turn Lagos Waters To Money, says Jimi Agbaje
- Buhari, Atiku To Sign Peace Accord
- PDP in Ekiti condemns public hearing on the finances of local governments
- Saraki condemns use of security agents to disenfranchised voters
- FG files charges against permanent secretary, director over alleged land fraud
- Bad luck for APC as Kastina Rep member dumps party for PDP
- Kante: I don’t want attention on my personality
- Barca to equal Bayern’s UCL record with win against Spurs
- De Jong denies PSG’s contract agreement
- Abdidal to meet Dembele over disciplinary issues
- Cavani’s PSG future uncertain
- Klopp evolved at Liverpool says Carragher
- Lady Shows Her Family Living With HIV... what they take daily
- See What Teacher Did To A Student In Lagos Over Minor Offence
- After 33yrs Of Marriage Woman Gives Birth For The First Time ...she delivered triplets
- Properties Worth N1.8bn Forfeited To FG By Corrupt Ex-NDDC Director (Photos)
- Akwa Ibom APC records highest mass defection in years
- Corruption: EFCC drags NBA president to court
- 2019: Buhari Boasts to Defeat Atiku, Obj Roundly
- Oppression, hate speech are two different things — Oyedepo
- What Mavin wants for Bank Music as Reekado go solo
- How divorce made Asamoah Gyan a poor man
- Buhari desperate to retain power, says Ezekwesili