Chidiebube Okeoma, Owerri
The Imo State Commissioner of Police, Mr Dasuki Galandanchi, on Tuesday paraded two teenagers, Emmanuel Ewudo, and Chinwe Nwaane, (15), and 23 others for attempted robbery, kidnapping and burglary.
Parading the suspects, the police boss said the command would charge them to court after investigation.
But one of the suspects, Ewudo pleaded for leniency, adding that they attempted the crime because they were trying to raise funds to register for the West Africa Certificate Examination.
He said, “Please help us beg the police not to kill us, we are sorry for breaking into somebody’s house, we were trying to raise funds to register for the West Africa Certificate Examination.”
The boys, who are students of Bishop Shina-Hand College in Orlu, said that their quest to pay for the WACE fees led them into crime.
Galandanchi said the duo broke into the residence of one Mrs. Chigozie Ohajiogu in Akokwa, Ideato North Local Government Area of Imo State with the intent to rob her.
Her cry, according to Galandanchi, made the suspects to flee, adding that they returned in about 45 minutes later but escaped being arrested by policemen that had come to secure the area.
He said they were nabbed in their school.
The other suspect, Nwaane, said, “Yes we are students. My father has been bedridden and in hospital and unable to pay my WAEC fees, I begged my friend to accompany me somewhere. We went to rob the woman but we were not successful.
“We were caught one day after. We are very scared, we don’t want to be killed but we know that it is wrong to break into somebody’s house.”
Meanwhile, the police commissioner disclosed that a total of 45 suspected criminals had so far been arrested.
“At least, 24 of them were arrested for armed robbery, 12 people for kidnapping; eight for cultism and one for child trafficking. Eleven others were arrested for unlawful possession of firearms, three caught for stealing electric cables belonging to communities and one for internet fraud,” he said.
Galadinchi disclosed that five kidnap victims were rescued while six stolen vehicles 17 telephone handsets and one laptop were recovered from the suspects.
Amongst the suspects paraded for kidnapping was one Patrick Ogidi who specialised in kidnapping elderly persons aged 80 years and above, whose children were forced to pay ransom.
Ogidi, who hails from Obiagbu in Ohaji-Egbema LGA said he preferred to kidnap octogenarians because they are frail and would not give him any concerns over escape.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from PUNCH.
Contact: [email protected]
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Osun: PDP leads as APC puts all hope on Osogbo
- Obasanjo's Refusal To Support Atiku For 2019: Ex-VP Reacts
- Vote Buying & Selling Get To A Level In Osun Election - Monitors
- Fire Guts Big Factory In Ondo, Destroys N100m Equipment
- Tinunu Ignores Meeting To Take 'Final' Decision On Ambode
- Comedian AY Clears The Air On His "Incentive Comment" About D'band & Wife
- Police, Others Praised For Professional Conduct In Osun Poll
- Osinbajo Says No Discrimination In Buhari’s Administration
- Pregnant Woman Give Birth At Delta IDP’s Camp
- Rivers 2019: Three Friends In Serious Battle
- Comedian Bovi Surprises Wife with A Benz for Her 30th Birthday
- Osun poll: Adeleke in early lead as INEC announces results
- #OsunDecides: Don’t Tamper With Our Winning Results – PDP
- PHOTOS: Anthony Joshua wins in round seven by knockout
- Woman Nabbed While Attempting To Traffick 2-month Old Baby Out Of Nigeria
- OSUN ELECTION RESULTS: Senator Adeleke Takes The Lead
- Not All Medical Graduates Will Be Specialists, Some'll Be Farmers - Health Minister
- Faces Of Nigerian Ladies Nabbed Doing "Runs" In Ghana... they're being deported
- FRSC 2018 Recruitment Screening Time-Table & Dates
- Buhari Jets Out To New York For UN General Assembly
- PhD Holder Employed As Primary School Teacher In Kaduna
- Female Kidnapper, Others Arrested As Little Boy Is Rescued
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Fun Ways To Stay Physically Active
- Ribadu joins race for Adamawa State House
- Why Skye Bank license was revoked- CBN
- Face Of Man Who Deliberately Infected His 2 Girlfriends With HIV
- I'm Not Endosing Anybody, Don't Waste Time Coming To Beg Me - Tinubu speaks
- 2019: Why Kwankwaso Can Defeat Buhari – Fani-Kayode
- Dancing Senator Adeleke Wins His Polling Unit In Osun Election
- Deadly Cultist who Killed Corper at ATM Point Finally Arrested
- Osun poll: APC, PDP trade blames over allegations of vote-buying
- Osun Decides 2018: Results Are Showing No Clear Winner
- No Whistle-Blower Will Get 5% Of Our Money – NNPC
- Old Woman Faints While Casting Vote In Osun Election
- Let’s Not Push Our Luck & Destroy Nigeria - Abdulsalami Warns
- Ambode: Loyal Supporters Begin Serious Prayer
- Abdusalami says he hates certain politicians warming up for 2019
- Osun Election: APC Candidate, Gboyega Oyetola Casts His Vote
- Amaechi Reacts: Abe conspiring with Wike to pull me down