Ihuoma Chiedozie, Enugu
It was gathered that the royal father was killed on Monday evening by assailants, who beat him until he lost consciousness.
He was reportedly rushed to Parklane Hospital, Enugu, where he was confirmed dead.
Sources in the community informed our correspondent that the royal father and some policemen attached to him were trying to effect the arrest of some members of the village, when he was ambushed by the assailants.
Nwatu was said to have just returned from a court sitting when he was attacked.
The traditional ruler was, reportedly, recently dragged to court by some of his subjects, who are not happy with the way he rules the community.
During the attack on Monday, the hoodlums, said to be many in number, reportedly disarmed the policemen attached to the royal father before attacking him.
The policemen were said to have taken to their heels, leaving the traditional ruler at the mercy of his irate subjects.
There were unconfirmed reports that Nwatu was stripped naked in the course of the attack.
Our correspondent learnt that the royal father had been at loggerheads with some of his subjects, who accused him of high-handedness.
A source in the community claimed that Nwatu usually invited the police to arrest members of the village over false allegations.
He was also said to have scuttled moves to put in place a town union leadership in the community, a development which gave him the powers to rule unchallenged.
Recently, some members of the community had protested against the ‘Igwe’ at the Enugu State Government House, urging Governor Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi to depose him.
The aggrieved subjects eventually dragged him to court.
Before then, some youths of Agbozine Agbugo had besieged the Nkanu Police Station, threatening to burn down the facility after some community leaders were arrested, allegedly based on a petition written against them by the royal father.
Meanwhile, some youths, said to be the royal father’s loyalists, set fire on a number of buildings said to belong to Nwatu’s ‘enemies’ in the community.
The Enugu State Police Command, on Tuesday, said it had brought the situation in the community under control.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from PUNCH.
Contact: [email protected]
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Kwankwaso boycotts APC national convention to visit Atiku
- APC amends its slogan
- 2019: Obasanjo plots Buhari’s fall
- Obasanjo under pressure to back Atiku for 2019
- N900m fraud: NHIS boss speaks on allegations of theft
- Abaribe being hunted because of views, says Lawyer
- 2018 Budget crisis: NASS indicts Buhari over Second Niger Bridge, budget delay
- Melaye declares APC’s “political obituary”
- SERAP wins suitcompelling Adamu, Ogbeh to account for spending on Water projects
- Nigeria to lose 3 million Christians annually till 2043, says Danjuma group
- Tension brews amongst Yoruba leaders over mission to rescue Obasanjo from Buhari
- Senator Abaribe arrested for gun running, aiding IPOB - lawyer
- NewPDP drops defection threat, agrees to meet APC Governors, Leaders for settlement
- Power Battle For 2019: Obasanjo Meets Yoruba Leaders
- Hummels Ruled Out of Germany Clash with Sweden
- Real Madrid sign young goalkeeper
- Petit: Messi is not a leader like Ronaldo
- Eagles over the cloud, ready to soar – Akinwunmi
- Interesting Reasons Why Travel Is Good For Your Mental Health
- 17-Year-Old Girl Sells Her 2nd Child After Her Mum Sold The First
- Army Offers N5m To Anyone With Information On Bomb Factories In The Northeast
- APC Convention: How Buhari, Tinubu, Others Averted Crisis
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- D’Tigers hold first training
- Football stakeholders warn Ifeanyi Ubah
- Nasarawa United set to resume as Dogo aims to end season
- Analysis and Rating: Nigeria Vs Iceland
- Coutinho, Neymar lead Brazil’s Late Show
- PDP slams FG over Abaribe’s arrest
- Buhari arrives venue of APC National Convention
- 2018 APC National Convention: Oshiomhole wins national chairman without votes
- Convention chairman suspends voting
- Photos From APC National Convention In Abuja
- Super Eagles goalkeeper Carl Ikeme surviving Blood Cancer (Pics)
- Angry Man Beats His Wife With Pestle To Death In Anambra
- "Any Actress/Actor Who Bought A House Should Say How They Made The Money, We Don't Make That Much"
- See The Guys Who Killed OOU Female Student & Her Boyfriend (Plus Shocking Confession)
- How To Stop 'Fighting' and Start Enjoying Your Marriage
- Counterfeiters latch on to Super Eagles stylish kit
- APC takes crises to convention