Ihuoma Chiedozie, Enugu
It was gathered that the royal father was killed on Monday evening by assailants, who beat him until he lost consciousness.
He was reportedly rushed to Parklane Hospital, Enugu, where he was confirmed dead.
Sources in the community informed our correspondent that the royal father and some policemen attached to him were trying to effect the arrest of some members of the village, when he was ambushed by the assailants.
Nwatu was said to have just returned from a court sitting when he was attacked.
The traditional ruler was, reportedly, recently dragged to court by some of his subjects, who are not happy with the way he rules the community.
During the attack on Monday, the hoodlums, said to be many in number, reportedly disarmed the policemen attached to the royal father before attacking him.
The policemen were said to have taken to their heels, leaving the traditional ruler at the mercy of his irate subjects.
There were unconfirmed reports that Nwatu was stripped naked in the course of the attack.
Our correspondent learnt that the royal father had been at loggerheads with some of his subjects, who accused him of high-handedness.
A source in the community claimed that Nwatu usually invited the police to arrest members of the village over false allegations.
He was also said to have scuttled moves to put in place a town union leadership in the community, a development which gave him the powers to rule unchallenged.
Recently, some members of the community had protested against the ‘Igwe’ at the Enugu State Government House, urging Governor Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi to depose him.
The aggrieved subjects eventually dragged him to court.
Before then, some youths of Agbozine Agbugo had besieged the Nkanu Police Station, threatening to burn down the facility after some community leaders were arrested, allegedly based on a petition written against them by the royal father.
Meanwhile, some youths, said to be the royal father’s loyalists, set fire on a number of buildings said to belong to Nwatu’s ‘enemies’ in the community.
The Enugu State Police Command, on Tuesday, said it had brought the situation in the community under control.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from PUNCH.
Contact: [email protected]
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- 2019:Former Speaker confirms how much Ambode still needs prayer
- Osun poll: PDP kicks against rerun
- Photos Of President Buhari & Wife Departing Nigeria For US
- Female Footballers Involve In Bus Accident In Kogi, Their Driver Is Unconscious
- "How I Joined Kidney Business" - Human Kidneys' Hunters
- Saraki Wins Over Omisore of SDP to Support PDP Defeat APC?
- Lagos 2019: Sanwo-Olu compounds Ambode’s woes
- Kwese Premier League resumes with Conference eight crackers.
- Top five Nigerian players in the UEFA Europa League this week
- I celebrate Akinwunmi over NFF victory—-MFM FC new director
- Aisha Buhari departs for New York to attend UNGA
- Anthony Joshua defeats Povetkin in seventh round
- Kogi United pips NAF Rockets to maintain promotion chase
- Buruj boys to present trophies to Ambode
- Saraki’s Senate has failed Nigerians—Senator
- Boat mishap claims lives in Borno
- Details Of 7 Units Where Rerun Will Hold In Osun September 27
- Lady Jumps Out Of A Moving Car To Escape Robbery In Abuja
- Ras Kimono's Wife Dies Just 3 Months After Husband's Death
- Prince Kazeem Eletu Odibo Empowers His PRO With Cash As She Adds Another Years
- Osun Decides: INEC Planning To Declare Election Inconclusive?
- Woman Breaks Down In Tears As Pastor Gave Her Entire Church Offerings (Photos)
- BREAKING: Osun Governorship Election Declared Inconclusive
- Tinubu/Ambode feud: Lagos APC insists on primary
- You Have My Blessings - IBB assures Tambuwal
- Dangerous Flood: Monarch weeps as town go under water
- Why Ooni of Ife Did Not Vote Yesterday In Osun Election
- Saraki Warns INEC On Osun Election: "We're Watching You"
- Osun: PDP leads as APC puts all hope on Osogbo
- Obasanjo's Refusal To Support Atiku For 2019: Ex-VP Reacts
- Vote Buying & Selling Get To A Level In Osun Election - Monitors
- Fire Guts Big Factory In Ondo, Destroys N100m Equipment
- Tinunu Ignores Meeting To Take 'Final' Decision On Ambode
- Comedian AY Clears The Air On His "Incentive Comment" About D'band & Wife
- Police, Others Praised For Professional Conduct In Osun Poll
- Osinbajo Says No Discrimination In Buhari’s Administration
- Pregnant Woman Give Birth At Delta IDP’s Camp
- Rivers 2019: Three Friends In Serious Battle
- Comedian Bovi Surprises Wife with A Benz for Her 30th Birthday
- Osun poll: Adeleke in early lead as INEC announces results