Ihuoma Chiedozie, Enugu
It was gathered that the royal father was killed on Monday evening by assailants, who beat him until he lost consciousness.
He was reportedly rushed to Parklane Hospital, Enugu, where he was confirmed dead.
Sources in the community informed our correspondent that the royal father and some policemen attached to him were trying to effect the arrest of some members of the village, when he was ambushed by the assailants.
Nwatu was said to have just returned from a court sitting when he was attacked.
The traditional ruler was, reportedly, recently dragged to court by some of his subjects, who are not happy with the way he rules the community.
During the attack on Monday, the hoodlums, said to be many in number, reportedly disarmed the policemen attached to the royal father before attacking him.
The policemen were said to have taken to their heels, leaving the traditional ruler at the mercy of his irate subjects.
There were unconfirmed reports that Nwatu was stripped naked in the course of the attack.
Our correspondent learnt that the royal father had been at loggerheads with some of his subjects, who accused him of high-handedness.
A source in the community claimed that Nwatu usually invited the police to arrest members of the village over false allegations.
He was also said to have scuttled moves to put in place a town union leadership in the community, a development which gave him the powers to rule unchallenged.
Recently, some members of the community had protested against the ‘Igwe’ at the Enugu State Government House, urging Governor Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi to depose him.
The aggrieved subjects eventually dragged him to court.
Before then, some youths of Agbozine Agbugo had besieged the Nkanu Police Station, threatening to burn down the facility after some community leaders were arrested, allegedly based on a petition written against them by the royal father.
Meanwhile, some youths, said to be the royal father’s loyalists, set fire on a number of buildings said to belong to Nwatu’s ‘enemies’ in the community.
The Enugu State Police Command, on Tuesday, said it had brought the situation in the community under control.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from PUNCH.
Contact: [email protected]
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Did Oshiomhole Attack Aisha Buhari Over Her Comment?
- Deadly Gunmen Hijack Bus Loaded With Nigerians Travelling
- Thank You For Returning Stolen Funds - Buhari To Swiss Govt
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Boki confers first chieftaincy title in 30yrs on UNICAL VC
- This is why north will gain more from restructuring – Kukah
- US dismisses Jonathan’s allegations against Obama
- Youths may use NYSC, degree certificates as collateral for loans
- Army replies ICC over war crimes allegation
- EFCC arrests ex-Skye Bank Chairman for fraud
- Jubilation as police arrest suspected cultist leader in Osun
- Nigeria customs seizes goods worth N2.7 billion within 4weeks
- Buhari writes the Senate on why he declined the electoral amendment bill
- Ex-commissioner of police urges FG to strengthen country’s border
- Why I Did Not Attend Peace Accord Signing In Abuja - Atiku
- Why I Refused To Sign Amended Electoral Bill - Buhari
- I Will Turn Lagos Waters To Money, says Jimi Agbaje
- Buhari, Atiku To Sign Peace Accord
- PDP in Ekiti condemns public hearing on the finances of local governments
- Saraki condemns use of security agents to disenfranchised voters
- FG files charges against permanent secretary, director over alleged land fraud
- Bad luck for APC as Kastina Rep member dumps party for PDP
- Kante: I don’t want attention on my personality
- Barca to equal Bayern’s UCL record with win against Spurs
- De Jong denies PSG’s contract agreement
- Abdidal to meet Dembele over disciplinary issues
- Cavani’s PSG future uncertain
- Klopp evolved at Liverpool says Carragher
- Lady Shows Her Family Living With HIV... what they take daily
- See What Teacher Did To A Student In Lagos Over Minor Offence
- After 33yrs Of Marriage Woman Gives Birth For The First Time ...she delivered triplets
- Properties Worth N1.8bn Forfeited To FG By Corrupt Ex-NDDC Director (Photos)
- Akwa Ibom APC records highest mass defection in years
- Corruption: EFCC drags NBA president to court
- 2019: Buhari Boasts to Defeat Atiku, Obj Roundly
- Oppression, hate speech are two different things — Oyedepo
- What Mavin wants for Bank Music as Reekado go solo
- How divorce made Asamoah Gyan a poor man
- Buhari desperate to retain power, says Ezekwesili