In his book, ‘My Life and Nigerian Politics’, Tony Anenih, who was the national chairman of Social Democratic Party, SDP, when the June 12, 1993 election was held, made a number of claims on the crisis.
Anenih, in the book launched in 2016, said Abiola told him repeatedly that Babangida was trying to embarrass him.
“On the issue of June 12, Chief MKO Abiola had called me on the phone to come for an urgent meeting in Ikeja. I flew to Ikeja and met Alhaji Babagana Kingibe, Dr Dele Cole, and Kola, MKO’s son,” he wrote.
“At the meeting, Chief MKO told us that his friend, Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida, planned to embarrass him. He kept repeating this without stating the type of embarrassment.”
Later, Abiola insisted that they must leave his house for Kola’s.
“He was terribly frightened and depressed. We all moved to Kola’s house in Maryland. Right from this time, Chief Abiola was trying to get President Babangida on the phone, but each time he tried (Halilu) Akilu (then director-general, National Intelligence Agency) received the call,” Anenih wrote.
“We could hear Chief Abiola telling Akilu to tell his friend (IBB) that they were still friends, and that he should allow him to be president, even for one day, and he would resign thereafter; that all the photographs they took together were still all over his house, and that he should not forget the past, and that God would bless him.”
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- CDHR task Buhari on poverty/insecurity
- Attacks on Plateau communities retaliatory, says Miyetti Allah
- Bureau official arraigned for murder
- Buhari blames desperate politicians for killings in Plateau
- APC Convention: “Kwankwaso just ended political career”
- D'Banj Was Advised About That Swimming Pool & His Son
- Banks struggle between steady income lines, declining profits
- Okorocha may sacrifice son-in-law governorship ambition
- Customs raises alarms over fake recruitment sites
- Drogba sends warning to Super Eagles ahead of Argentina clash
- Iheanacho confident of victory against Argentina
- Oil hits $74.10/barrel as OPEC moves toward spiking supply
- Nigeria to begin fuel exportation by 2019, says Baru
- 2018 World Cup: Pogba reveals Nigeria will be tough opponents
- Mikel to wear arm guard against Argentina
- Nigeria has highest number of extremely poor people – Report
- Bishop Oyedepo: You Can Be A Christian and Miss Heaven
- 5 Mistakes Graduates Are Making That's Denying Them Success
- TRAGIC! Obituary Of Lady & Her Brother Who Died In Accident
- Makeup Artist Transforms Lady Who Survived Burns Into A Queen For Her Wedding
- Boko Haram Fuel Supplier, Who's A Filling Station Manager, Nabbed By Soldiers
- Gunmen Disappear With Ondo Traditional Ruler's Wife
- Woman Who's A Witch Falls From Sky & Lands On Police Barrack In Delta State (Photos)
- PDP ridicules APC National Convention as ‘a mockery of democracy’
- Plateau killings: Buhari speaks tough, appeals for calm
- Saraki keeps APC leaders in suspense over his party membership
- See Woman Who Escaped After Over 100 Were Killed In Plateau
- How D'banj's Son Got Drowned In His Swimming Pool (Update)
- Imagine What Husband & Wife Did To This Boy Living With Them
- "Why I Didn't Attend APC Convention" – Kwankwaso
- Disgraced Ex-Minister Runs Abuja Clinic Without Licence For Years
- Nigeria Overtakes India As Poorest Country In The World
- "Why Herdsmen Killed People In Plateau" – Miyetti Allah Chairman
- Armed herdsmen kill 86 in Plateau
- Sowore blasts Buhari over 2018 Budget
- Buhari at war with NASS over disquieting budget crisis
- Police places N1m bounty on masked woman that “exposed” rich police officer
- Lagos Police Place N1m Reward On Masked Lady
- PhD Scandal: Embattled Osun Rector Arrested, Detained
- PDP To APC Chairman Oshiomhole: "Submit Yourself To EFCC"