US Senate Democrats on Tuesday demanded an end to forced separation of undocumented immigrant children from their parents, introducing legislation that would ban the controversial practice undertaken by the Trump administration.
Thirty-two Democrats in the Republican controlled Senate are sponsoring the Keep Families Together Act, which imposes a “prohibition on separation” of such immigrant families.
The bill is a long shot. No Republicans are sponsoring the legislation, and congressional leaders have given no indication they will hold votes on the bill.
But it puts President Donald Trump on notice that there is deep opposition to his “zero tolerance” policy, instituted last month, aimed at detering the thousands of families crossing the border monthly and asking for asylum.
The move has sparked domestic and international criticism, including from the United Nations which demanded a halt to what it called a serious violation of children’s rights.
“The Statue of Liberty under the Trump policy is not carrying a torch, it’s carrying a pair of handcuffs,” Senator Jeff Merkley told reporters.
According to Senator Dianne Feinstein, US Customs and Border Protection informed her that 658 children were taken from 638 parents during a 14-day period in May — an average of 47 children each day.
“This is not the United States that we know and we’re here to try to put a stop to it,” said Feinstein, the bill’s chief sponsor.
Trump has blamed Democrats for passing “bad legislation” and then failing to change the border security laws.
Democrats have countered that no law requires the government to separate children from their parents.
“Let’s call this what it is. This is a human rights abuse that is being committed by the United States,” Senator Kamala Harris said in a stinging rebuke.
The bill states that a US agency may not remove a child from a parent “solely for the policy goal of deterring individuals from migrating to the United States or for the policy goal of promoting compliance with civil immigration laws.”
Trump has made his opposition to immigration a focal point of his presidency.
His demand for building a border wall was a constant campaign theme, and he has referred to some immigrants, particularly gang members, as “animals.”
He scrapped an Obama-era program that gives legal protections to hundreds of thousands of immigrants who were illegally brought in as children, although courts have blocked their deportation.
In recent weeks Trump has hardened his message, with Attorney General Jeff Sessions insisting that illegal immigrants will be prosecuted.
“If people do not want to be separated from their children, then they should not bring them with them,” Sessions said early this month.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Did Oshiomhole Attack Aisha Buhari Over Her Comment?
- Deadly Gunmen Hijack Bus Loaded With Nigerians Travelling
- Thank You For Returning Stolen Funds - Buhari To Swiss Govt
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Boki confers first chieftaincy title in 30yrs on UNICAL VC
- This is why north will gain more from restructuring – Kukah
- US dismisses Jonathan’s allegations against Obama
- Youths may use NYSC, degree certificates as collateral for loans
- Army replies ICC over war crimes allegation
- EFCC arrests ex-Skye Bank Chairman for fraud
- Jubilation as police arrest suspected cultist leader in Osun
- Nigeria customs seizes goods worth N2.7 billion within 4weeks
- Buhari writes the Senate on why he declined the electoral amendment bill
- Ex-commissioner of police urges FG to strengthen country’s border
- Why I Did Not Attend Peace Accord Signing In Abuja - Atiku
- Why I Refused To Sign Amended Electoral Bill - Buhari
- I Will Turn Lagos Waters To Money, says Jimi Agbaje
- Buhari, Atiku To Sign Peace Accord
- PDP in Ekiti condemns public hearing on the finances of local governments
- Saraki condemns use of security agents to disenfranchised voters
- FG files charges against permanent secretary, director over alleged land fraud
- Bad luck for APC as Kastina Rep member dumps party for PDP
- Kante: I don’t want attention on my personality
- Barca to equal Bayern’s UCL record with win against Spurs
- De Jong denies PSG’s contract agreement
- Abdidal to meet Dembele over disciplinary issues
- Cavani’s PSG future uncertain
- Klopp evolved at Liverpool says Carragher
- Lady Shows Her Family Living With HIV... what they take daily
- See What Teacher Did To A Student In Lagos Over Minor Offence
- After 33yrs Of Marriage Woman Gives Birth For The First Time ...she delivered triplets
- Properties Worth N1.8bn Forfeited To FG By Corrupt Ex-NDDC Director (Photos)
- Akwa Ibom APC records highest mass defection in years
- Corruption: EFCC drags NBA president to court
- 2019: Buhari Boasts to Defeat Atiku, Obj Roundly
- Oppression, hate speech are two different things — Oyedepo
- What Mavin wants for Bank Music as Reekado go solo
- How divorce made Asamoah Gyan a poor man
- Buhari desperate to retain power, says Ezekwesili