US Senate Democrats on Tuesday demanded an end to forced separation of undocumented immigrant children from their parents, introducing legislation that would ban the controversial practice undertaken by the Trump administration.
Thirty-two Democrats in the Republican controlled Senate are sponsoring the Keep Families Together Act, which imposes a “prohibition on separation” of such immigrant families.
The bill is a long shot. No Republicans are sponsoring the legislation, and congressional leaders have given no indication they will hold votes on the bill.
But it puts President Donald Trump on notice that there is deep opposition to his “zero tolerance” policy, instituted last month, aimed at detering the thousands of families crossing the border monthly and asking for asylum.
The move has sparked domestic and international criticism, including from the United Nations which demanded a halt to what it called a serious violation of children’s rights.
“The Statue of Liberty under the Trump policy is not carrying a torch, it’s carrying a pair of handcuffs,” Senator Jeff Merkley told reporters.
According to Senator Dianne Feinstein, US Customs and Border Protection informed her that 658 children were taken from 638 parents during a 14-day period in May — an average of 47 children each day.
“This is not the United States that we know and we’re here to try to put a stop to it,” said Feinstein, the bill’s chief sponsor.
Trump has blamed Democrats for passing “bad legislation” and then failing to change the border security laws.
Democrats have countered that no law requires the government to separate children from their parents.
“Let’s call this what it is. This is a human rights abuse that is being committed by the United States,” Senator Kamala Harris said in a stinging rebuke.
The bill states that a US agency may not remove a child from a parent “solely for the policy goal of deterring individuals from migrating to the United States or for the policy goal of promoting compliance with civil immigration laws.”
Trump has made his opposition to immigration a focal point of his presidency.
His demand for building a border wall was a constant campaign theme, and he has referred to some immigrants, particularly gang members, as “animals.”
He scrapped an Obama-era program that gives legal protections to hundreds of thousands of immigrants who were illegally brought in as children, although courts have blocked their deportation.
In recent weeks Trump has hardened his message, with Attorney General Jeff Sessions insisting that illegal immigrants will be prosecuted.
“If people do not want to be separated from their children, then they should not bring them with them,” Sessions said early this month.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Osun: PDP leads as APC puts all hope on Osogbo
- Obasanjo's Refusal To Support Atiku For 2019: Ex-VP Reacts
- Vote Buying & Selling Get To A Level In Osun Election - Monitors
- Fire Guts Big Factory In Ondo, Destroys N100m Equipment
- Tinunu Ignores Meeting To Take 'Final' Decision On Ambode
- Comedian AY Clears The Air On His "Incentive Comment" About D'band & Wife
- Police, Others Praised For Professional Conduct In Osun Poll
- Osinbajo Says No Discrimination In Buhari’s Administration
- Pregnant Woman Give Birth At Delta IDP’s Camp
- Rivers 2019: Three Friends In Serious Battle
- Comedian Bovi Surprises Wife with A Benz for Her 30th Birthday
- Osun poll: Adeleke in early lead as INEC announces results
- #OsunDecides: Don’t Tamper With Our Winning Results – PDP
- PHOTOS: Anthony Joshua wins in round seven by knockout
- Woman Nabbed While Attempting To Traffick 2-month Old Baby Out Of Nigeria
- OSUN ELECTION RESULTS: Senator Adeleke Takes The Lead
- Not All Medical Graduates Will Be Specialists, Some'll Be Farmers - Health Minister
- Faces Of Nigerian Ladies Nabbed Doing "Runs" In Ghana... they're being deported
- FRSC 2018 Recruitment Screening Time-Table & Dates
- Buhari Jets Out To New York For UN General Assembly
- PhD Holder Employed As Primary School Teacher In Kaduna
- Female Kidnapper, Others Arrested As Little Boy Is Rescued
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Fun Ways To Stay Physically Active
- Ribadu joins race for Adamawa State House
- Why Skye Bank license was revoked- CBN
- Face Of Man Who Deliberately Infected His 2 Girlfriends With HIV
- I'm Not Endosing Anybody, Don't Waste Time Coming To Beg Me - Tinubu speaks
- 2019: Why Kwankwaso Can Defeat Buhari – Fani-Kayode
- Dancing Senator Adeleke Wins His Polling Unit In Osun Election
- Deadly Cultist who Killed Corper at ATM Point Finally Arrested
- Osun poll: APC, PDP trade blames over allegations of vote-buying
- Osun Decides 2018: Results Are Showing No Clear Winner
- No Whistle-Blower Will Get 5% Of Our Money – NNPC
- Old Woman Faints While Casting Vote In Osun Election
- Let’s Not Push Our Luck & Destroy Nigeria - Abdulsalami Warns
- Ambode: Loyal Supporters Begin Serious Prayer
- Abdusalami says he hates certain politicians warming up for 2019
- Osun Election: APC Candidate, Gboyega Oyetola Casts His Vote
- Amaechi Reacts: Abe conspiring with Wike to pull me down