Former Arsenal star Freddie Ljungberg has returned to the Premier League club as Under-23 head coach.
Ljungberg helped Arsenal win the Premier League twice and the FA Cup three times in a nine-year spell from 1998 to 2007.
He scored 46 goals in 216 appearances for Arsenal and, after retiring in 2014, the Sweden winger spent a season coaching Arsenal’s Under-15 side.
Following a short spell as Wolfsburg assistant manager, Ljungberg returns to the Emirates Stadium after Arsene Wenger ended his 22-year reign as Arsenal manager at the end of the season.
Wenger has been replaced by Spaniard Unai Emery.
“I’m delighted to be returning to the club. Arsenal has always been a special place for me and I’m really excited at this opportunity to work with our under-23 team,” Ljungberg said on Tuesday.
“I look forward to working with the talented young players we have at the club.
“I know many of them well and will work hard to help them continue developing and become the best players and people they can be.”
Ljungberg played a prominent role in Arsenal’s Premier League and FA Cup double triumph of 2002 and was part of the ‘Invincibles’ team which went unbeaten for the 2004 league campaign.
Ljungberg, who also played for West Ham, Seattle Sounders, Chicago Fire and Celtic, joined Wolfsburg as former Arsenal Academy manager Andries Jonker’s assistant in 2017.
But he left when Jonker was sacked as manager of the German side after just seven months in charge.
Arsenal’s new Academy chief Per Mertesacker said: “It’s great to have Freddie back at the club.
“He understands the club’s values and how important it is to give young players the opportunity to grow and develop.”
Meanwhile, Emery has handed a new “long-term” contract to promising Arsenal youngster Ainsley Maitland-Niles.
The 20-year-old midfielder, who can also play as a wing-back, is a product of Arsenal’s youth academy and made 28 first-team appearances during his breakthrough campaign.
Part of the England Under-20s team that won the World Cup in South Korea last year, Maitland-Niles revealed Emery is already a big fan of his.
“You don’t really hear a lot of young players being shouted out by their managers, especially a new manager who hasn’t really seen them play too much,” he said.
“I think it’s brilliant to hear from him and it gives me a load of confidence.
“It means a lot with the new head coach coming in and Arsenal tying me down. I’m very pleased.
“We had a little meeting. He said that he wants all of his players to work hard and I’m no stranger to doing that. It will be second nature to me.”
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Did Oshiomhole Attack Aisha Buhari Over Her Comment?
- Deadly Gunmen Hijack Bus Loaded With Nigerians Travelling
- Thank You For Returning Stolen Funds - Buhari To Swiss Govt
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Boki confers first chieftaincy title in 30yrs on UNICAL VC
- This is why north will gain more from restructuring – Kukah
- US dismisses Jonathan’s allegations against Obama
- Youths may use NYSC, degree certificates as collateral for loans
- Army replies ICC over war crimes allegation
- EFCC arrests ex-Skye Bank Chairman for fraud
- Jubilation as police arrest suspected cultist leader in Osun
- Nigeria customs seizes goods worth N2.7 billion within 4weeks
- Buhari writes the Senate on why he declined the electoral amendment bill
- Ex-commissioner of police urges FG to strengthen country’s border
- Why I Did Not Attend Peace Accord Signing In Abuja - Atiku
- Why I Refused To Sign Amended Electoral Bill - Buhari
- I Will Turn Lagos Waters To Money, says Jimi Agbaje
- Buhari, Atiku To Sign Peace Accord
- PDP in Ekiti condemns public hearing on the finances of local governments
- Saraki condemns use of security agents to disenfranchised voters
- FG files charges against permanent secretary, director over alleged land fraud
- Bad luck for APC as Kastina Rep member dumps party for PDP
- Kante: I don’t want attention on my personality
- Barca to equal Bayern’s UCL record with win against Spurs
- De Jong denies PSG’s contract agreement
- Abdidal to meet Dembele over disciplinary issues
- Cavani’s PSG future uncertain
- Klopp evolved at Liverpool says Carragher
- Lady Shows Her Family Living With HIV... what they take daily
- See What Teacher Did To A Student In Lagos Over Minor Offence
- After 33yrs Of Marriage Woman Gives Birth For The First Time ...she delivered triplets
- Properties Worth N1.8bn Forfeited To FG By Corrupt Ex-NDDC Director (Photos)
- Akwa Ibom APC records highest mass defection in years
- Corruption: EFCC drags NBA president to court
- 2019: Buhari Boasts to Defeat Atiku, Obj Roundly
- Oppression, hate speech are two different things — Oyedepo
- What Mavin wants for Bank Music as Reekado go solo
- How divorce made Asamoah Gyan a poor man
- Buhari desperate to retain power, says Ezekwesili