Bayelsa Governor Seriake Dickson has ordered the arrest of an official of a local government for collecting the salaries of 300 persons every month.
Commissioner for Information and Orientation Daniel Iworiso-Markson revealed this Monday during the commencement of a town hall meeting on civil service reforms in the Yenagoa Local Government Area of the state.
Although he did not give the name of the errant official, Iworiso-Markson said that the suspect is an account officer in a council in Bayelsa Central Senatorial District.
According ton him, the suspect was unmasked during staff verification in the LGA, after years of illicitly earning hundreds of millions of naira per annum.
“That is in just one LGA and there are many places like that in the state. Some people are employed in the civil service today, yet there is no document in their files,’ he said.
“Instead, they were employed with the affidavit. The same people who do not have any documents and qualifications are collecting salaries of Grade Level 14 workers and above.”
Citing the Bayelsa State Transport Company, the commissioner said one finds a situation where about 180 drivers are on the pay roll, but there are only five or six vehicles for them to drive.
“You can see the level of rot in the system. So, if we must be sincere to ourselves, we must all agree to join hands with the government to clean the mess in the system.”
He emphasised that the reform has come to stay, insisting that the people of Bayelsa must collectively redeem the state from collapse.
“Today, everywhere you go now, people talk of Bayelsa as a model. All these are because of the bold steps the Seriake Dickson-led administration has taken to redeem the state from payroll fraudsters and syndicates,” he said.
Leave a comment
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Osun: PDP leads as APC puts all hope on Osogbo
- Obasanjo's Refusal To Support Atiku For 2019: Ex-VP Reacts
- Vote Buying & Selling Get To A Level In Osun Election - Monitors
- Fire Guts Big Factory In Ondo, Destroys N100m Equipment
- Tinunu Ignores Meeting To Take 'Final' Decision On Ambode
- Comedian AY Clears The Air On His "Incentive Comment" About D'band & Wife
- Police, Others Praised For Professional Conduct In Osun Poll
- Osinbajo Says No Discrimination In Buhari’s Administration
- Pregnant Woman Give Birth At Delta IDP’s Camp
- Rivers 2019: Three Friends In Serious Battle
- Comedian Bovi Surprises Wife with A Benz for Her 30th Birthday
- Osun poll: Adeleke in early lead as INEC announces results
- #OsunDecides: Don’t Tamper With Our Winning Results – PDP
- PHOTOS: Anthony Joshua wins in round seven by knockout
- Woman Nabbed While Attempting To Traffick 2-month Old Baby Out Of Nigeria
- OSUN ELECTION RESULTS: Senator Adeleke Takes The Lead
- Not All Medical Graduates Will Be Specialists, Some'll Be Farmers - Health Minister
- Faces Of Nigerian Ladies Nabbed Doing "Runs" In Ghana... they're being deported
- FRSC 2018 Recruitment Screening Time-Table & Dates
- Buhari Jets Out To New York For UN General Assembly
- PhD Holder Employed As Primary School Teacher In Kaduna
- Female Kidnapper, Others Arrested As Little Boy Is Rescued
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Fun Ways To Stay Physically Active
- Ribadu joins race for Adamawa State House
- Why Skye Bank license was revoked- CBN
- Face Of Man Who Deliberately Infected His 2 Girlfriends With HIV
- I'm Not Endosing Anybody, Don't Waste Time Coming To Beg Me - Tinubu speaks
- 2019: Why Kwankwaso Can Defeat Buhari – Fani-Kayode
- Dancing Senator Adeleke Wins His Polling Unit In Osun Election
- Deadly Cultist who Killed Corper at ATM Point Finally Arrested
- Osun poll: APC, PDP trade blames over allegations of vote-buying
- Osun Decides 2018: Results Are Showing No Clear Winner
- No Whistle-Blower Will Get 5% Of Our Money – NNPC
- Old Woman Faints While Casting Vote In Osun Election
- Let’s Not Push Our Luck & Destroy Nigeria - Abdulsalami Warns
- Ambode: Loyal Supporters Begin Serious Prayer
- Abdusalami says he hates certain politicians warming up for 2019
- Osun Election: APC Candidate, Gboyega Oyetola Casts His Vote
- Amaechi Reacts: Abe conspiring with Wike to pull me down