French World Cup star Thomas Lemar looks set to quit Monaco and join Atletico Madrid, the two clubs revealed on Tuesday.
“Atletico de Madrid and AS Monaco have achieved a preliminary agreement over the transfer of Thomas Lemar to our club,” for the definitive transfer,” the Spanish club said of the 22-year old.
“Over the next days, both clubs will work to close the agreement,” the Madrid club said of the attacking midfielder usually deployed on the left.
The slightly built Lemar looked set to join Arsenal a year ago but Monaco pulled out of the potential £92-million (100 million euros) deal after selling a string of other stars.
Lemar was also tipped to join Liverpool as they seek to replace Philippe Coutinho.
“In the last season, Lemar has continued to show his quality,” Atletico said on their website. In fact he played 38 games for Monaco, showing his best form at the latter end of the season.
Didier Deshamps left many top stars out of his World Cup squad but kept faith with Lemar, who scored recently for France in a win over Colombia and bagged a brace last year against the Dutch.
Having made a run to the Champions League semis and won the French title in 2017, Monaco sold Benjamin Mendy and Bernardo Silva to Manchester City, Tiemoue Bakayoko to Chelsea, and let teenage sensation Kylian Mbappe leave for Paris Saint Germain.
Monaco’s Brazilian midfielder Fabinho will join Liverpool following the World Cup finals in Russia as Monaco cash in again.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Did Oshiomhole Attack Aisha Buhari Over Her Comment?
- Deadly Gunmen Hijack Bus Loaded With Nigerians Travelling
- Thank You For Returning Stolen Funds - Buhari To Swiss Govt
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Boki confers first chieftaincy title in 30yrs on UNICAL VC
- This is why north will gain more from restructuring – Kukah
- US dismisses Jonathan’s allegations against Obama
- Youths may use NYSC, degree certificates as collateral for loans
- Army replies ICC over war crimes allegation
- EFCC arrests ex-Skye Bank Chairman for fraud
- Jubilation as police arrest suspected cultist leader in Osun
- Nigeria customs seizes goods worth N2.7 billion within 4weeks
- Buhari writes the Senate on why he declined the electoral amendment bill
- Ex-commissioner of police urges FG to strengthen country’s border
- Why I Did Not Attend Peace Accord Signing In Abuja - Atiku
- Why I Refused To Sign Amended Electoral Bill - Buhari
- I Will Turn Lagos Waters To Money, says Jimi Agbaje
- Buhari, Atiku To Sign Peace Accord
- PDP in Ekiti condemns public hearing on the finances of local governments
- Saraki condemns use of security agents to disenfranchised voters
- FG files charges against permanent secretary, director over alleged land fraud
- Bad luck for APC as Kastina Rep member dumps party for PDP
- Kante: I don’t want attention on my personality
- Barca to equal Bayern’s UCL record with win against Spurs
- De Jong denies PSG’s contract agreement
- Abdidal to meet Dembele over disciplinary issues
- Cavani’s PSG future uncertain
- Klopp evolved at Liverpool says Carragher
- Lady Shows Her Family Living With HIV... what they take daily
- See What Teacher Did To A Student In Lagos Over Minor Offence
- After 33yrs Of Marriage Woman Gives Birth For The First Time ...she delivered triplets
- Properties Worth N1.8bn Forfeited To FG By Corrupt Ex-NDDC Director (Photos)
- Akwa Ibom APC records highest mass defection in years
- Corruption: EFCC drags NBA president to court
- 2019: Buhari Boasts to Defeat Atiku, Obj Roundly
- Oppression, hate speech are two different things — Oyedepo
- What Mavin wants for Bank Music as Reekado go solo
- How divorce made Asamoah Gyan a poor man
- Buhari desperate to retain power, says Ezekwesili