By Evelyn Usman
The Nigerian Military has been advised to utilize operational risk mapping methodologies in conducting counter terrorism and counterinsurgency operations, with a view to preventing catastrophic losses during attacks by insurgents.
Addressing members of Senior Course 40 of the Armed Forces Command and Staff College, on the topic: ‘ International and Regional Mechanisms for Counterterrorism and Counterinsurgency Operations, at the Counter terrorism and Counterinsurgency, CTCOIN lecture, held at the Armed Forces Command and Staff College, Jaji- Kaduna, weekend, renowned security expert Dr. Ona Ekhomu, stated that the use of risk mapping would also enable the military to be proactive.
He explained that risk mapping involved conducting risk identification, risk assessments, risk mitigation, countermeasures implementation and performance evaluation.
He said: “ The reality is that people and processes will inherently incur errors and militate against CTCOIN operations. Risk mapping is a reliable way to eliminate risk exposures and thereby reducing losses caused during terrorist and insurgent attacks.
“ Terrorists can use a variety of attack methodologies including frontal armed attack, lone wolf attacks, wolf pack attacks, drone attacks, cellular network attacks, stealth attacks, etc. The military has to be nimble-footed to prevent these asymmetric threats from becoming loss events.
“ The primary regional mechanism for CTCOIN has been the Multinational Joint Task Force, MNJTF which was reauthorized by the Africa Union’s Peace and Security Committee, which mandated a force of 7500 to fight BH in the Lake Chad Basin area. The MNJTF has helped to prevent Boko Haram fighters from easily slipping across Nigeria’s borders with Cameroon, Chad and Niger.”.
Ekhomu applauded the United States, France and the UK for assisting Nigeria to combat the Boko Haram insurgency and the United Nations for “ its humanitarian assistance to internally displaced populations in the northeast numbering over two million.
In his remarks, Commandant of the College AVM Lawal Alao, said the lecture was “very germane to the military”, and that as professionals they would adopt models that would be useful in the fight against terrorism and insurgency.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Story Of 7yrs Old Boy Who "Married" His Own Mother (Photos)
- Nigerian Doctor, Anthony Madu, Allegedly Nabbed For Fraud In UK Defends Himself
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- CR7’s debut match abandoned as Juventus fans invade the ground
- Pogba : Barcelona’s decision
- Court stops arrest warrant on INEC Chairman
- Key proteins associated with lung cancer
- Buhari announces running mate
- PDP accuses APC of rigging Bauchi senatorial by-election
- DSS clarifies issues on Daura investigation
- Barcelona’s Marc-Andre ter Stegen talks Lionel Messi, Cristiano Ronaldo, LeBron James
- PSG: Adrien Rabiot’s future is uncertain
- Ronaldo survives death threats
- Sam Allarydce: Arsenal’s tactic against city too poor
- Luka Modric wants to be a star in Serie A with Inter Milan says agent
- Young Nigerian Constructs Helicopter For The Army
- 2019: Osinbajo Is The Running Mate To Buhari
- NIMASA may suspend seafarers with hepatitis condition
- We defecate in nylon bags, say truck drivers stuck in Apapa gridlock
- Customs suspends e-auction as vehicles worth billions rot away
- Angry Soldiers At Maiduguri Airport Threaten To Shoot Superiors
- Tony Elumelu's Beautiful Mum Set To Celebrate Her 90th Birthday
- Photos Of Aisha Buhari Being Conferred With An Honorary PhD
- 12yrs Old Boy Survives Plane Crash That Killed All Passengers
- Crude oil prices drop as tension rises over trade disputes
- Army reacts to protest by soldiers who seized airport
- Hoodlums rape Assemblies of God pastor to death
- Story Of Schoolgirl Abducted In Lagos & Sold Into Pros-titution
- Lady Beheaded In Imo, Body Dumped, Br*ast Cut Off (Graphic Pic)
- Buhari Not Happy With Osinbajo Over Sack Of Daura?
- APC makes new plot to cage, impeach Saraki, Ekweremadu – PDP
- SERAP tells NBC to lift the ban on JAY FM Jos radio station
- Smartphone light linked to rampant blindness—Study
- EFCC, Presidency at war over Saraki
- Deadly Kidnappers Ambush, Kill Four IGP Team Policemen
- Igbo Don’t Know How To Respect Their Leaders – Okorocha
- Thief Dies After Breaking His Skull While Escaping In Lagos
- Buhari Was Trained To Kill, Not To Be A Good President - Bafarawa
- Police Commissioner Returns N100k Bribe To Contractor, Detains Policeman
- Man Punches His Lover’s Mother to Death Over Custody of Child