By Evelyn Usman
The Nigerian Military has been advised to utilize operational risk mapping methodologies in conducting counter terrorism and counterinsurgency operations, with a view to preventing catastrophic losses during attacks by insurgents.
Addressing members of Senior Course 40 of the Armed Forces Command and Staff College, on the topic: ‘ International and Regional Mechanisms for Counterterrorism and Counterinsurgency Operations, at the Counter terrorism and Counterinsurgency, CTCOIN lecture, held at the Armed Forces Command and Staff College, Jaji- Kaduna, weekend, renowned security expert Dr. Ona Ekhomu, stated that the use of risk mapping would also enable the military to be proactive.
He explained that risk mapping involved conducting risk identification, risk assessments, risk mitigation, countermeasures implementation and performance evaluation.
He said: “ The reality is that people and processes will inherently incur errors and militate against CTCOIN operations. Risk mapping is a reliable way to eliminate risk exposures and thereby reducing losses caused during terrorist and insurgent attacks.
“ Terrorists can use a variety of attack methodologies including frontal armed attack, lone wolf attacks, wolf pack attacks, drone attacks, cellular network attacks, stealth attacks, etc. The military has to be nimble-footed to prevent these asymmetric threats from becoming loss events.
“ The primary regional mechanism for CTCOIN has been the Multinational Joint Task Force, MNJTF which was reauthorized by the Africa Union’s Peace and Security Committee, which mandated a force of 7500 to fight BH in the Lake Chad Basin area. The MNJTF has helped to prevent Boko Haram fighters from easily slipping across Nigeria’s borders with Cameroon, Chad and Niger.”.
Ekhomu applauded the United States, France and the UK for assisting Nigeria to combat the Boko Haram insurgency and the United Nations for “ its humanitarian assistance to internally displaced populations in the northeast numbering over two million.
In his remarks, Commandant of the College AVM Lawal Alao, said the lecture was “very germane to the military”, and that as professionals they would adopt models that would be useful in the fight against terrorism and insurgency.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Ekiti boiling with emotion as Fayose faces EFCC October 15
- Amuwo Odofin constituents cry out over alleged stolen mandate, task Tinubu
- INEC Under Pressure To Return "Buhari's Sister" Amina Zakari To Head Operations?
- Pretty Lady, Anita Shot Dead In Front Of Her House In Abuja
- Meet The Man Behind Gov Ganduje's Leaked $5m Bribery Clip
- Buhari’ll Win South-East Despite Obi’s Nomination – Okorocha's Son-in-Law
- Leaked Video Of Governor 'Receiving Bribe': Kano Govt. Reacts
- Suspected Robber Arrested 5 Days After Release From Prison
- Falana, Others To Buhari: Withdraw That Travel Ban Order
- We'll Support PDP in 2019 Because of Peter Obi - Ndigbo Youths assure Atiku
- Bride Looking Unhappy At Her Wedding
- Coach Paul Aigbogu denies link to Akwa United job
- Sarri’s Touchline Chat with Klopp revealed
- Atiku and Peter Obi at Obi Of Onitsha's Palace
- Fayose Ends Tenure In Tears, Heads To Abuja To Face EFCC
- I Stole Because Of My Girlfriend's Upkeep — Jobless Youth
- OMG! This Beautiful Lady May Be Killed Today By Boko Haram
- Buhari Excluded Omisore, Obanikoro From Travel Ban List?
- Mother Breaks Her Son’s Head Over N50 Meal In Lagos (Pics)
- Accept Peter Obi as Atiku’s VP, Jonathan tells Igbo PDP leaders
- Go To Court If You Like - Presidency tells critics of Travel Ban
- Truck Driver Loses Control, Crushes Married Woman To Death
- The Rise Of Peter Obi
- Okonjo-Iweala Debunks Reports Of Endorsing Buhari
- I Never Took A Dime From Any Political Candidate - Oyedepo
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Travel ban: Atiku, Falana whack Buhari
- Ighalo redeems his image in Super Eagles
- Patrick Baumann,rising star in Olympic circles, dies at 51
- Nigerian Army football team wins National League, gains promotion
- 60,000 children die yearly of Diarrhea in Nigeria, says WaterAid
- 2019: Buhari begins massive clampdown on opposition
- Crawford retains WBO Welterweight title against Jose Benavidez Jr
- Atiku Reacts To Buhari's Controversial Travel Ban List
- Why I reconciled Atiku with Obasanjo- Sheikh Gumi
- Top NPFL stars YSFON U-18, set for AMAPRO 2018
- Cassano retires seven days after he started training with Virtus Entella
- See How Buhari & Atiku Will Likely Share Votes In 2019
- Buhari’s executive order is repressive, illegal, says SERAP
- EFCC intercepts illegal gold export at Airport