By Evelyn Usman
The Nigerian Military has been advised to utilize operational risk mapping methodologies in conducting counter terrorism and counterinsurgency operations, with a view to preventing catastrophic losses during attacks by insurgents.
Addressing members of Senior Course 40 of the Armed Forces Command and Staff College, on the topic: ‘ International and Regional Mechanisms for Counterterrorism and Counterinsurgency Operations, at the Counter terrorism and Counterinsurgency, CTCOIN lecture, held at the Armed Forces Command and Staff College, Jaji- Kaduna, weekend, renowned security expert Dr. Ona Ekhomu, stated that the use of risk mapping would also enable the military to be proactive.
He explained that risk mapping involved conducting risk identification, risk assessments, risk mitigation, countermeasures implementation and performance evaluation.
He said: “ The reality is that people and processes will inherently incur errors and militate against CTCOIN operations. Risk mapping is a reliable way to eliminate risk exposures and thereby reducing losses caused during terrorist and insurgent attacks.
“ Terrorists can use a variety of attack methodologies including frontal armed attack, lone wolf attacks, wolf pack attacks, drone attacks, cellular network attacks, stealth attacks, etc. The military has to be nimble-footed to prevent these asymmetric threats from becoming loss events.
“ The primary regional mechanism for CTCOIN has been the Multinational Joint Task Force, MNJTF which was reauthorized by the Africa Union’s Peace and Security Committee, which mandated a force of 7500 to fight BH in the Lake Chad Basin area. The MNJTF has helped to prevent Boko Haram fighters from easily slipping across Nigeria’s borders with Cameroon, Chad and Niger.”.
Ekhomu applauded the United States, France and the UK for assisting Nigeria to combat the Boko Haram insurgency and the United Nations for “ its humanitarian assistance to internally displaced populations in the northeast numbering over two million.
In his remarks, Commandant of the College AVM Lawal Alao, said the lecture was “very germane to the military”, and that as professionals they would adopt models that would be useful in the fight against terrorism and insurgency.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- ISIS fighters stormed Abuja, arrested
- INEC reveals preparation for managing over 100 parties, 80 million voters for 2019 polls
- How fraudsters made N12bn from Nigerian banks in 3 yrs
- Benue Crisis: Former governor arrested by DSS
- Innocent man miraculously survives after hired assassins butchered Him (Photos)
- Senior MTN Staff & Sister Arraigned For 'Defrauding' Man N50m
- Nigerian Footballer Gifts His Mother A House (Photos)
- Reckless Truck Driver Driving Against Traffic Hits Mum & Her Twins In Lagos
- Meet Blind Nigerian Teacher Who Has Authored 15 Books Including Maths Textbook & Novel
- Chelsea: To start new season with a new manager, 3 new players from Italy
- Opposition responsible for spate of killings, says Adesina
- APC goes to National Convention with escalating conflicts
- Atiku honours Jonathan as hero of democracy
- SERAP cautions Buhari: Consider ICC prosecution over cutting of critical projects by lawmakers
- Dickson loses Commissioner to APC
- Fresh crisis hits Obasanjo’s CNM, Agbakoba’s NIM
- Sowore holds meeting with Fulani herdsmen, farmers
- 2019: Buhari woos South-east with crude oil contracts
- Midseason transfer window to end tn 10 days.
- Oil: Escalating trade disputes weigh on markets
- Controversial Actress Cossy Beaten Up By Her Neighbor In Lagos (Graphic Photos)
- DSS Arrests Ex-Gov. Suswam Over Benue Killings.. recovers cars and ammunitions
- Wife Bathes Husband With Acid In Delta Over 'Other Women'
- Atiku Visits Jonathan At Home; Says History Will Be Fair To GEJ As A True Democrat
- "We Were So Poor We Borrowed To Feed" - Rich Footballer Lukaku Shares Life Story
- IPOB bounces back: Prints 40 million ballot papers for Biafra Referendum
- Gov. Dickson postponed wrestling National Classics
- Senegal kept African flag flying at World Cup
- Nigeria to host Men’s U21 African Nations Championship
- D’Tigers’ camp bubbles as training starts Wednesday
- Falconets intensity France 2018 build -up in Abuja
- Lady 'Dating Married Man' Found Dead With A Murder Note
- Investing in great teaching to truly prepare our students for the future of work
- Husband Beaten To Death By In-laws For "Maltreating" Wife
- UNILAG Disclaims Osun Poly Rector’s B.Sc After PhD Scandal
- NYSC Member Wins $2,500 Painting Competition In Lagos
- Items To Disinfect In Your Hotel Room
- NDDC Resumes Foreign Scholarship Scheme
- Robber Who Was Released 4 Days Ago Caught Stealing Again
- National Assembly Replies Buhari Over Their New 6,403 Projects: "We're Not Rubber Stamp"