The Blood Safety Programme Manager, Institute of Human Virology, Nigerians (IHVN), Mr Abdullahi Abubakar, says regular blood donation improves body fitness and lowers calories.
Abubakar explained at a blood donation drive in Abuja on Tuesday to mark World Blood Donor Day that donating one pint of blood (450 ml) removes 650 calories from the donor’s body.
Abubakar said the theme for the celebration, ”blood donation as an action of solidarity”, had the slogan ”Be there for someone else.”
He said that transfusion of blood helps save millions of lives every year and put a natural smile on the face of blood receiver.
According to him, blood donation can help patients suffering from life-threatening health conditions to live longer with higher quality of life.
He also said that blood donation had an essential life-saving role in maternal and child care and during emergency response to man-made and natural disasters.
Abubakar said blood donation enhanced the production of new blood cells, adding that, “When blood is withdrawn, the donor’s body immediately begins to replenish the lost blood within 24 hours of donation.
“All of the red blood cells the donor loses during donation are completely replaced within one month to two months.”
He added that the best way to ensure adequate safe blood supply for an effective health system was through regular donations by voluntary and unpaid blood donors.
Fawehinmi Akindele, Safety and Security Officer, IHVN, said there was no pain in donating blood rather there was more gain.
”I have been donating blood for 22 years now and I don’t regret it, I donate every three months and am glad my blood has been saving lives.
”I used to suffer high blood pressure but I realised that each time I donate blood, my blood pressure reduces to normal, so donating blood reduces my blood pressure tremendously,” he said.
Akindele called on Nigerians to use this opportunity to donate blood as no one knows whose life the blood would save.
Another donor, Ezeibe Ikechukwu, said he had peace each time he donated blood.
Ikechukwu said blood was sacred and using it to save life was priceless.
”I will do this over and over again because the purpose is to help someone who is dying,” he said.
Jane Akubuiro, Donor Care Manager, National Blood Transfusion Service, urged Nigerians with no health challenge to come out and donate blood to save lives.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Kwankwaso boycotts APC national convention to visit Atiku
- APC amends its slogan
- 2019: Obasanjo plots Buhari’s fall
- Obasanjo under pressure to back Atiku for 2019
- N900m fraud: NHIS boss speaks on allegations of theft
- Abaribe being hunted because of views, says Lawyer
- 2018 Budget crisis: NASS indicts Buhari over Second Niger Bridge, budget delay
- Melaye declares APC’s “political obituary”
- SERAP wins suitcompelling Adamu, Ogbeh to account for spending on Water projects
- Nigeria to lose 3 million Christians annually till 2043, says Danjuma group
- Tension brews amongst Yoruba leaders over mission to rescue Obasanjo from Buhari
- Senator Abaribe arrested for gun running, aiding IPOB - lawyer
- NewPDP drops defection threat, agrees to meet APC Governors, Leaders for settlement
- Power Battle For 2019: Obasanjo Meets Yoruba Leaders
- Hummels Ruled Out of Germany Clash with Sweden
- Real Madrid sign young goalkeeper
- Petit: Messi is not a leader like Ronaldo
- Eagles over the cloud, ready to soar – Akinwunmi
- Interesting Reasons Why Travel Is Good For Your Mental Health
- 17-Year-Old Girl Sells Her 2nd Child After Her Mum Sold The First
- Army Offers N5m To Anyone With Information On Bomb Factories In The Northeast
- APC Convention: How Buhari, Tinubu, Others Averted Crisis
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- D’Tigers hold first training
- Football stakeholders warn Ifeanyi Ubah
- Nasarawa United set to resume as Dogo aims to end season
- Analysis and Rating: Nigeria Vs Iceland
- Coutinho, Neymar lead Brazil’s Late Show
- PDP slams FG over Abaribe’s arrest
- Buhari arrives venue of APC National Convention
- 2018 APC National Convention: Oshiomhole wins national chairman without votes
- Convention chairman suspends voting
- Photos From APC National Convention In Abuja
- Super Eagles goalkeeper Carl Ikeme surviving Blood Cancer (Pics)
- Angry Man Beats His Wife With Pestle To Death In Anambra
- "Any Actress/Actor Who Bought A House Should Say How They Made The Money, We Don't Make That Much"
- See The Guys Who Killed OOU Female Student & Her Boyfriend (Plus Shocking Confession)
- How To Stop 'Fighting' and Start Enjoying Your Marriage
- Counterfeiters latch on to Super Eagles stylish kit
- APC takes crises to convention