The Blood Safety Programme Manager, Institute of Human Virology, Nigerians (IHVN), Mr Abdullahi Abubakar, says regular blood donation improves body fitness and lowers calories.
Abubakar explained at a blood donation drive in Abuja on Tuesday to mark World Blood Donor Day that donating one pint of blood (450 ml) removes 650 calories from the donor’s body.
Abubakar said the theme for the celebration, ”blood donation as an action of solidarity”, had the slogan ”Be there for someone else.”
He said that transfusion of blood helps save millions of lives every year and put a natural smile on the face of blood receiver.
According to him, blood donation can help patients suffering from life-threatening health conditions to live longer with higher quality of life.
He also said that blood donation had an essential life-saving role in maternal and child care and during emergency response to man-made and natural disasters.
Abubakar said blood donation enhanced the production of new blood cells, adding that, “When blood is withdrawn, the donor’s body immediately begins to replenish the lost blood within 24 hours of donation.
“All of the red blood cells the donor loses during donation are completely replaced within one month to two months.”
He added that the best way to ensure adequate safe blood supply for an effective health system was through regular donations by voluntary and unpaid blood donors.
Fawehinmi Akindele, Safety and Security Officer, IHVN, said there was no pain in donating blood rather there was more gain.
”I have been donating blood for 22 years now and I don’t regret it, I donate every three months and am glad my blood has been saving lives.
”I used to suffer high blood pressure but I realised that each time I donate blood, my blood pressure reduces to normal, so donating blood reduces my blood pressure tremendously,” he said.
Akindele called on Nigerians to use this opportunity to donate blood as no one knows whose life the blood would save.
Another donor, Ezeibe Ikechukwu, said he had peace each time he donated blood.
Ikechukwu said blood was sacred and using it to save life was priceless.
”I will do this over and over again because the purpose is to help someone who is dying,” he said.
Jane Akubuiro, Donor Care Manager, National Blood Transfusion Service, urged Nigerians with no health challenge to come out and donate blood to save lives.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- N2.5bn fraud: Aisha Buhari reacts
- Osun rerun: Omisore ignores PDP, settles for APC
- Osun Rerun: Oshiomhole, Lai, Ganduje finally seal deal with Omisore
- Lady Gets Yam, Beans, Pawpaw As Best Creative Advert Student
- Why PDP's Adeleke Is Leading Our Candidate In Osun Election - APC Chieftain
- Policemen Used For Osun Election Involved In Fatal Accident
- Osun tie: Matters arising
- Customs generates N852m revenue in 1month
- Minimum wage: ULC threatens nationwide strike,pitch workers against insensitive politicians
- Pressure mounts on UN to fire Obasanjo
- Aisha Buhari orders arrest of her ADC over 2.5billion fraud
- NCC not interested in social media gagging bill, says Ojobo
- Lekan Shonde's Wife "Died Of Brain Injuries"
- Osun Rerun: Omisore, Lasun Agree To Help APC Fight PDP?
- Applicant Dies During FRSC Recruitment In Kogi
- Why INEC Must Declare Collected PVCs For Osun Rerun
- Nigerian Ladies Caught On CCTV Stealing From A Store
- Fear Of Dancing Senator: Oshiomhole, 5 APC Governors Run To Omisore Again
- Woman, Male Friend Nabbed for Using Drone to Monitor Osoba's House (Photos)
- Adeleke Family's Statement On "Rejecting Help" From Omisore
- Tips To Network Better With People For More Opportunities
- Buhari Sends Fayemi From US To "Beg" Omisore For Osun Rerun
- Akpabio Secures APC Nomination As Consensus Candidate
- Minimum Wage: NLC Directs Workers To Begin Strike Tomorrow
- Why My ADC Was Arrested – Aisha Buhari
- Woman In Trouble For Killing Her Husband's Daughter
- Warning From CBN: Our Economy May Fall Into Recession
- Why I Want My Son-in-law To Be Kano Governor - Kwankwaso
- PDP Demands Resignation Of INEC Chairman & Buhari's Sister Who's Director Of Operations
- Federal Government Revives 18 Fertiliser Blending Plants
- Deputy Speaker, Eight Others In Oyo Assembly Defect To ADC
- Cultists Come Out Of Their Hideout, Denounce Membership
- 'I Thought It Was 419' - Thomas Etuh speaks on first meeting with Buhari
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Court orders senator to be summoned on newspaper
- APC gov.-elect visits Omisore
- Billionaire Femi Otedola Pictured With FIFA President
- I Didn't Purchase ADC Governorship Form For Governor Ambode - Former Speaker Ikuforiji
- Tears As Massive Flood Kills Pastor & His Wife In Imo State