– Former governor of Edo state, Oshiomole, called for the investigation of ex-President Obasanjo
– He said the former president should be sent to jail if found guilty of any offence
– Oshiomole lambasted the ex-president for claiming that President Buhari wanted to frame and arrest him
Former Edo state governor and a top contender for the office of the national chairman of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Comrade Adams Oshiomole, has said that former President Olusegun Obasanjo should be arrested and sent to jail if found guilty of any offence.
Oshiomhole spoke in a pre-June 12 event he organized in honour of late Chief Gani Fawehinmi SAN and acclaimed winner if the June 12 1993 Presidential Election, Bashorun MKO Abiola, The Nation reports.
The former governor dismissed reports credited to ex-President Obasanjo that President Buhari wanted to frame and arrest him.
He added that when Obasanjo was in power, he also arrested and detained people, thinking that he would be president forever.
Oshiomhole said Chief Obasanjo should be investigated and sent to jail if found to have dipped his hands in the pie.
He said: “Gani is not here today, but his spirit is here. Falana is here and today, I am standing. Even the president who was in charge then, he is now complaining that they want to harass him. He was harassing me and he got me arrested. He thought he himself would not be arrested?
“If I were the president, I would arrest him. We are all Nigerians. I remember one day I told him, I said ‘President Obasanjo, we made you president. You did not make me a Nigerian. You are our creation; I am not your creation. You must listen’.
“But he thought he would be in power forever and he tried to take us on the way to Zimbabwe. He was a reluctant Head of State, became president for two terms and he wanted to do a third term because a cockroach licking palm oil would never lick enough.
“I remember when I was accused by former president Obasanjo of behaving as if I was an alternate president; that I was running the NLC like a parallel government, that I wanted to overthrow his government. A small man like me, completely powerless.
“If I am dark like this, it is because of Obasanjo’s teargas. When I now hear these same people saying they are trying to arrest them, why shouldn’t they be arrested? He should be arrested if he has committed any offence. He arrested many of us.
“So, if we are celebrating Chief Gani Fawehinmi, we have compelling reasons to do so. In all of these, we didn’t pay any money to Gani or Falana. They defended us pro bono.
“The late Abiola would be smiling not just for the honour done him by the president, but that Frank Kokori who was very young then, deployed the instrumentality of oil workers to support the progressive mission of the civil society.
“It is not the position you occupy, but the role that you play that will define your place in history. This man was never an NLC president, but he is the only unionist invited to the investiture.
“So, we just consulted among ourselves, few of us who benefited from Gani’s leadership by using the instrument of the law to confront evil leaders. At the NLC, we were so efficient at causing troubles, but too poor to procure the services of legal titans like Gani and Falana, but who would always come and defend us pro bono. So, we felt that on the eve of his investiture, we should gather and celebrate him.
“On June 12, the late Abacha asked us to tell Abiola to do a national broadcast to renounce his mandate. Pascal Bafyau advised him to take the bail conditions because he got information that the regime was ready to keep him in jail indefinitely, but Abiola said he wouldn’t mind dying, that if you are already in the river, you can no longer complain of being wet.
“Abiola died, but Abacha also died and today, Abiola’s children can go anywhere and say I am Abiola. But I am not sure of other persons”.
Speaking in Ado-Ekiti on Saturday, June 9, Fayose said the former president cannot make his predicament a Yoruba issue and should prove his innocence if accused of corrupt practices.
He advised Obasanjo to dismiss the allegations against him by proving his innocence.
The governor stated that Obasanjo’s travails were a welcome development now that he was being dealt with by the Buhari administration he supported during the 2015 general elections.
Consider rest – Obasanjo to Buhari – On NAIJ.com TV
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Nigerian Man 'Beats His Own Mother To Death' During Fight In US
- Strange things Messi did during Argentina-Croatia clash
- Onazi may return for Group D clash against Iceland
- BRA vs CR key stats
- Senator Abaribe arrested by DSS
- 2019: Reason Jonathan failed to make Bayelsa PDP endorse Atiku
- 2019: Police clamp down on supporters of Buhari’s opponent
- Nigerians should focus on the world Cup, not NFF elections–NFF VP Seyi
- Best of African teams after the first round of matches at the 2018 World Cup
- LMC directors storm Russia for crucial Russia 2018 World Cup Iceland clash
- NFF, Rohr Ban Fifa’s Nigeria Correspondent over starting XI Leak
- IGHO FC set to represent Delta State in 2018 National Aiteo Cup
- Okowa declares state of emergency as chairman, coaches get sacked
- Messi sets retirement date
- Fire Razes Over 30 Shops Due To "Lack Of Fuel" In Nigerian Fire Fighters Vehicle
- DSS Arrests Senator Enyinnaya Abaribe In Abuja Hotel
- Warn Your Daughters, Sisters Not To Date Yahoo Boys - Police react to death of female student
- We’ll visit abandoned projects in Niger-Delta — Magu
- Why You Can't Make It In Nollywood If You're Not A Prostitute
- Convicted lawyer loses status, privileges as SAN
- APC National Convention: Oshiomhole emerges consensus chairmanship candidate
- Oando, others get NNPC’s oil swap contracts worth $6bn
- NCAA sanctions 15 pilots for using marijuana, other banned substances
- Global trade deepens as India imposes retaliatory tariffs on US products
- FG to tackle illegal migration with e-border management
- Lagos Doctor Orders Nurse To Kneel Down, Flogs Her
- Photo Of Maradona Crying After Argentina Lost 3-0 To Croatia
- Woman Binds Her Son, Puts Him In Car and Sets It On Fire
- PDP Reacts To Presidency's Move To Build Cattle Ranches
- 2018 budget crisis: Dino Melaye hits back at Buhari over padding
- The Church leading ideological revolution in nation building
- Amazing Benefits of Wearing Deodorants
- Policeman Fights An Okada Man In Lagos Over N200 Bribe?
- DSS Nabs Two Suspected ISIS Leaders In Abuja
- Angry Nigerians Reacts To Senators, Reps 2018 Budget Padding
- Driver steals N10m goods, arrested while praying for forgiveness
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- ISIS fighters stormed Abuja, arrested
- INEC reveals preparation for managing over 100 parties, 80 million voters for 2019 polls
- How fraudsters made N12bn from Nigerian banks in 3 yrs