Although the Eddie Murphy-led Coming To America is one of the most beloved comedies of all time, we still think it's a frustratingly shallow depiction of Africa and African immigrants — probably because it was helmed by white filmmakers.
So, since we've already decried the reported sequel, we'll be saving our energy and money for the Richard Mofe-Damijo and Joseph Benjamin-led The Heir Apparent, an upcoming film, clearly inspired by the 1988 hit, that should benefit from a specifically African perspective.
Produced by Steve Ogbaro and directed by Robert Peters (30 Days In Atlanta, A Trip To Jamaica), The Heir Apparent will follow a Nigerian prince who travels to America to study and ends up getting completely culture shocked.
Speaking about landing two high-profile actors for the film, Steve said:
"Everyone knows RMD as the consummate actor that delivers on every role. He has been like an older brother to me. We’ve known each other for many years.
Similarly, Joseph is also a friend, and when I sent each of them the script, they read it and after were blown away and couldn’t wait to jump on board."
According to Steve, the film, which was shot in Atlanta and Lagos, should hit cinemas by August this year. "We hope to make a good showing at the box office. The plan is to premiere in America and go into cinemas in Nigeria and Africa as a whole", Steve concluded.
So, although a trailer or even a teaser hasn't been released for The Heir Apparent yet, we are definitely looking forward to seeing it — regardless of whether it turns out to be a massive success or hilarious train wreck.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- People who sleep less risk heart disease – Report
- Banks to experience low interest income in 2019
- Tbills, bonds drive 49% Fixed income & currency market turnover in 2018
- President Buhari Decorates New Inspector General of Police
- Airtel in Talks to Buy Telkom
- 2019: PDP appoints Ekweremadu, Lamido, Dogara Makarfi Technical Advisers to Atiku
- How North dominates Justices of Court of Appeal under Buhari
- 2019: Buhari appoints new Police IG
- 2019: Why, who Korede Bello, Jide Kosoko, Iyanya, Joke Silva and DJ Jimi Jatt are voting for
- Voluntary Group endorses Sanwolu
- Why Musicians must vote for me – Sanwo-Olu
- Is Veteran Nollywood actor, Kanayo O. Kanayo, still run for a seat in the House Of Representatives?
- Olamide follows Ambode’s footstep over Sanwo-Olu
- Physically challenged person sends Access Bank an emotional message
- Lagos Guber debate: ICT, security, education, others take centre stage
- Erratic power, high interest rate, undermined business performance in 2018 — CBN
- NDLEA maintains stand on Kashamu’s extradition
- Chelsea charged with racist behavior by UEFA for supporters’ chants
- Lloris: Spurs ready to fight for titles without Kane
- De Gea sets terms for new Manchester United deal
- Klopp’s second chance with Sadio Mane
- Cavani hints at retirement at end of PSG contract in 2020
- Pep not happy with Ederson Midfield role Vs. Wolves
- Beyond Brexit: Nigeria wants a new trade deal with Britain
- Ekweremmadu debunks isolation from PDP presidential campaign
- Onnoghen Arraignment reflects Buhari, APC Desperation To Win Elections – PDP
- Buhari appoints New Inspector-General of Police
- Ohanaeze warns Buhari, APC over CJN Onnoghen
- Okonkwo’s Attacks on the Atikus: Hand of Esau But Voice of Jacob
- Tension as Army commence Operation Python Dance 111 in Lagos
- Atiku to Military: Your sacrifices are immeasurable
- Opposition party celebrates retirement of IG with birthday cake
- Tenant arraigned for beating up landlord
- U20 AFCON: Aigbogun to release final list next week
- Okorocha’s second party adopts Atiku
- SERAP tells Buhari to order AGF to take complaints against CJN Onnoghen to NJC
- 2019: Most ingenious method of vote buying uncovered
- Onnoghen: Industrial court issues order
- GENCOS threaten to shut down power generation
- Plateau United denies attack on centre referee