Now, the minimum age to run for President is 35 years, down from 40 years. State and Federal representatives’ age moved from 30 to 25, while the age limit for senator and governorship seats remain the same — 30 years of age.
See the moment the bill was signed into law:
Since the President signed the bill, Twitter has been flooded with reactions.
See some of them:
More than half of our 180 million population are young people under the age of 30. Today’s signing of the #NotTooYoungToRun Bill represents the beginning of the inclusion of this vital segment into our nation-building.
— Bukola Saraki (@bukolasaraki) May 31, 2018
What is there to celebrate in an allegedly 75 year old man (football age?) who does not have a single youth in his cabinet, signing the #NotTooYoungToRun Bill? If he believes in it, then he should have at least one youth in his cabinet. He just wants to reap where he hasn’t sown.
— Reno Omokri (@renoomokri) May 31, 2018
The #NotTooYoungToRun bill means that:
Minimum Age to Contest for:
1. President – 30 years.
2. Governor 30 years.
3. Senate – 30 years.
4. House of Representatives – 25 years.
5. State House of Assembly – 25 years.
— Ebuka Akara (@ebuka_akara) May 31, 2018
Today is a very historic day. #NotTooYoungToRun kudos, kudos, kudos
Although the truth is… this isn’t the end. It’s only just the beginning of this movement. A shift is coming!!!! #NotTooYoungToRun
— Maryam Laushi (@MimieLaushi) May 31, 2018
With signing the #NotTooYoungToRun bill into law, Pres. @MBuhari affirms his desire to trusting Nigerian youth to lead Nigeria. As a Presidential Aspirant who falls within the age bracket, I call upon all Nigerians to rally around my candidacy to bring this law to reality in 2019
— Adamu Garba II (@adamugarba) May 31, 2018
Even as the #NotTooYoungToRun bill is being passed. My concern is “CREDIBILITY” ! You being young is not enough to qualify you to rule. If you are not credible enough or still want to wallow in corruption, please ???????? stay off. We can’t recycle our suffering in #Nigeria
— Adaobi ???????? (@Ada_obii) May 31, 2018
#New age for public offices are now.
35years for President
30years for Governor
30years for Senate
25years for House of Representatives
25years for State House of Assembly
Still, go & join a political party & be actively part of the game ooo ????#NotTooYoungToRun
— Elsie Godwin (@ELSiEiSY) May 31, 2018
Congratulations to Nigerian youths as @NGRPresident @MBuhari signs #NotTooYoungToRun bill into law. The U.S. supports a free, fair, and inclusive political process in Nigeria that includes the voices of young people, women, and the disabled.
— U.S. Mission Nigeria (@USEmbassyAbuja) May 31, 2018
It’s not enough to start shouting #NotTooYoungToRun. You must:
Join a political party;
Have money or raise money;
Become friends with delegates in your locality;
Operate in the grassroot;
Build a solid political team.
Then you are ready. Same applies in the US
— Adeyanju Deji ???????? (@adeyanjudeji) May 31, 2018
To everyone who made the signing of the #NotTooYoungToRun bill possible, I thank you immensely.
Your efforts shall not be in vain.
The youths are the future.
Its time to correct the mistakes of past leaders, unite Nigeria and create a better life for the common man. pic.twitter.com/SClHG68ttG
— Yul Edochie (@YulEdochie) May 31, 2018
Politics is local, Politics is local yen yen yen!
— BONARIO NNAGS (@bonario89) May 30, 2018
For the record: Just 3 State Houses of Assembly declined assent to the #NotTooYoungToRun bill; Kano State House of Assembly,
Lagos State House of Assembly and
Zamfara State House of Assembly declined to vote on the age reduction bill..
Shame on all of you from these states!
— Oluyemi Fasipe ???????? (@YemieFASH) May 28, 2018
I was discussing with my friend about the #NotTooYoungToRun bill
And he said
” Let’s hope these people do not see it as an opportunity to turn it into a family business and fix their kids into it. “
— Teminikan (@its_temi_) May 31, 2018
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Saraki attends launch of Trump’s Africa Strategy in US
- Flying Eagles turn back Ghana, reach WAFU Cup semi finals
- Who owns Nigeria football? The investor or the promoter? —Wale Ajayi
- Barewa to face Cowrie at Rugby President Cup final
- Arowolo quits 3SC for politics
- NRA ultimate goal is for Nigeria Referees to officiate at World Cup–Azeez
- Uche Okagbue becomes head coach of FC Ifeanyi Ubah
- Buhari wants teachers’ retirement age raised
- Brilliant Female Graduates Break 21-Year Record At Obafemi Awolowo University
- Donald Duke's Running Mate, Junaid Mohammed Quits
- Mother & 15yrs Old Daughter Sleeping With Ex-Commissioner... he has been arrested over the girl's pregnancies, abortions
- Dunamis Church Donates Relief Materials To IDPs
- PDP alleges plans by FG to cripple PDP-controlled states
- Senate Confirms Keyamo, other nominees for NDIC Board
- Environment Minister, Ibrahim Jubril Resigns
- Kogi legislator loses seat for defecting to PDP
- Ambode is my Politician of the Year – Shettima
- More troubles for Trump as court jails associate for fraud
- NB Plc to apologise over misleading information on product
- Husband, Wife, Mother-in-law Arraigned For Stealing N2.4m
- Ex-SGF Babachir In Aso Rock, 13 Months After Sack
- Beautiful Pre-wedding Photos Of A Sailor & His Fiancée
- 24 Yahoo Boys Busted By EFCC Arraigned In Court (Photos)
- Aisha Buhari Hosts Nigerian Entertainers In Aso Rock (Photos)
- Shock As Woman Is Caught Trying To Behead Her Daughter In Delta (Photos)
- Driver Who Absconded With Boss' Vehicle Busted
- First Gold Refinery In Nigeria Coming Up
- Polytechnic Lecturers Begin Indefinite Strike
- See Ammunitions Soldiers Recover From Gunrunners
- FIRS Generates N5trn So Far In 2018, Sets Take Break Record
- Woman Cries After Man Brings Police To Take Over Her Father's House A Week After His Death
- You Were Handpicked To Contest - Jimi Agbaje tells Sanwo-Olu
- My Wife Died During A Fight In My Dream, says man seeking for divorce in Lagos
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- APC Will Pay Dearly For Stopping Me - Minister Adebayo Shittu
- Fresh Graduate Waiting for NYSC Stabbed to Death by Girlfriend
- APC Won't Have Candidates In Rivers; Appeal Court Confirms
- 'I Thought Breast Cancer Is For Only Rich People Until It Hit Me'
- APC, PDP Reps Clash over Buhari's Refusal to Sign Electoral Bill
- Good Man Tortured By Police For Trying To Free Extortion Victim In Lagos