Now, the minimum age to run for President is 35 years, down from 40 years. State and Federal representatives’ age moved from 30 to 25, while the age limit for senator and governorship seats remain the same — 30 years of age.
See the moment the bill was signed into law:
Since the President signed the bill, Twitter has been flooded with reactions.
See some of them:
More than half of our 180 million population are young people under the age of 30. Today’s signing of the #NotTooYoungToRun Bill represents the beginning of the inclusion of this vital segment into our nation-building.
— Bukola Saraki (@bukolasaraki) May 31, 2018
What is there to celebrate in an allegedly 75 year old man (football age?) who does not have a single youth in his cabinet, signing the #NotTooYoungToRun Bill? If he believes in it, then he should have at least one youth in his cabinet. He just wants to reap where he hasn’t sown.
— Reno Omokri (@renoomokri) May 31, 2018
The #NotTooYoungToRun bill means that:
Minimum Age to Contest for:
1. President – 30 years.
2. Governor 30 years.
3. Senate – 30 years.
4. House of Representatives – 25 years.
5. State House of Assembly – 25 years.
— Ebuka Akara (@ebuka_akara) May 31, 2018
Today is a very historic day. #NotTooYoungToRun kudos, kudos, kudos
Although the truth is… this isn’t the end. It’s only just the beginning of this movement. A shift is coming!!!! #NotTooYoungToRun
— Maryam Laushi (@MimieLaushi) May 31, 2018
With signing the #NotTooYoungToRun bill into law, Pres. @MBuhari affirms his desire to trusting Nigerian youth to lead Nigeria. As a Presidential Aspirant who falls within the age bracket, I call upon all Nigerians to rally around my candidacy to bring this law to reality in 2019
— Adamu Garba II (@adamugarba) May 31, 2018
Even as the #NotTooYoungToRun bill is being passed. My concern is “CREDIBILITY” ! You being young is not enough to qualify you to rule. If you are not credible enough or still want to wallow in corruption, please ???????? stay off. We can’t recycle our suffering in #Nigeria
— Adaobi ???????? (@Ada_obii) May 31, 2018
#New age for public offices are now.
35years for President
30years for Governor
30years for Senate
25years for House of Representatives
25years for State House of Assembly
Still, go & join a political party & be actively part of the game ooo ????#NotTooYoungToRun
— Elsie Godwin (@ELSiEiSY) May 31, 2018
Congratulations to Nigerian youths as @NGRPresident @MBuhari signs #NotTooYoungToRun bill into law. The U.S. supports a free, fair, and inclusive political process in Nigeria that includes the voices of young people, women, and the disabled.
— U.S. Mission Nigeria (@USEmbassyAbuja) May 31, 2018
It’s not enough to start shouting #NotTooYoungToRun. You must:
Join a political party;
Have money or raise money;
Become friends with delegates in your locality;
Operate in the grassroot;
Build a solid political team.
Then you are ready. Same applies in the US
— Adeyanju Deji ???????? (@adeyanjudeji) May 31, 2018
To everyone who made the signing of the #NotTooYoungToRun bill possible, I thank you immensely.
Your efforts shall not be in vain.
The youths are the future.
Its time to correct the mistakes of past leaders, unite Nigeria and create a better life for the common man. pic.twitter.com/SClHG68ttG
— Yul Edochie (@YulEdochie) May 31, 2018
Politics is local, Politics is local yen yen yen!
— BONARIO NNAGS (@bonario89) May 30, 2018
For the record: Just 3 State Houses of Assembly declined assent to the #NotTooYoungToRun bill; Kano State House of Assembly,
Lagos State House of Assembly and
Zamfara State House of Assembly declined to vote on the age reduction bill..
Shame on all of you from these states!
— Oluyemi Fasipe ???????? (@YemieFASH) May 28, 2018
I was discussing with my friend about the #NotTooYoungToRun bill
And he said
” Let’s hope these people do not see it as an opportunity to turn it into a family business and fix their kids into it. “
— Teminikan (@its_temi_) May 31, 2018
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- SARS Torture Musician In Lagos, Accuse Him Of Being Yahoo Boy
- Dancing Senator Adeleke Stole My Mandate - Billionaire Ogunbiyi
- Saraki Reacts To "Juicy Offer" To Him By Buhari Presidency
- Some Forces Pushed Me To Defile Girl, says 52-Year-Old Man
- Fayose’s Arrogance Caused PDP’s Defeat In Ekiti — Sen. Kashamu
- Female Permanent Secretary’s Son Hangs Self Over Failed Business
- Start Preparing To Leave Aso Rock - PDP tells Buhari
- Buhari a joker if he thinks he’ll win in 2019 – Adebanjo
- Ex-President bags another 8-year jail term for corruption
- Osun 2018: Dancer Senator Adeleke wins PDP governorship ticket
- CAA ASABA 2018: Phyno, Harrysong to thrill fans as ticket sale begins
- 25 Falconets in Austria’s World Cup camping
- Flying Eagles batter Mauritania 5-0, qualify for Niger 2019
- Here Are The Foods You Shouldn't Eat On An Empty Stomach
- Lagos Police Arrests 5 PDP LGA Chairmen For Murder
- JAMB Remits Another N7.8bn To Federal Government
- SARS Storms Kidnapper's Mansion In Imo Before Its Demolition
- APC & PDP In War Of Words Over Saraki, Dogara, Others
- Rampaging Boko Haram Ambushes Soldiers, Many Killed
- Policemen Assault Beautician After 'Touching' His Girlfriend
- "We’ve Decided To Dump APC, We Don't Trust Buhari" - R-APC
- Nigeria, Others To Get AFREXIM Bank’s $25bn Grant
- Newlywed Couple Seen Buying Roasted Plantain By The Roadside In Delta (Photos)
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Four SARS Officers Arrested For Kidnapping & Extorting N7Million From Bishop
- PDP Chairman Shot Dead In Lagos (Photo)
- Photos From Olu Jacobs Son's White Wedding
- UNILAG Female Student Declared Missing
- Woman Loses Husband, 3 Kids & 5 Relatives In Boat Accident
- Drunk Man Ordered For 11 Plates Of Food Mistakenly
- “I Am Guilty As Charged" - Lagos Fake Medical Doctor Confesses
- APC Chairman Oshiomhole Visits R-APC Chairman At Night
- Popular Croatian President Painting Her Own House (Photos)
- LAUTECH Increases School Fees To N300,000 From N120k
- Billionaire Femi Otedola Buys Daughter 2018 Range Rover
- Open letter to governor Godwin Obaseki
- Minister Escapes Death In Fatal Accident, Driver Burnt
- Rainy Season: Top 7 Tips On Staying Safe During A Flood
- "We Don't Want To Lose Saraki, Dogara, Others" - APC ready to meet their demands
- PDP chairman rates Atiku candidacy in opposition party