Now, the minimum age to run for President is 35 years, down from 40 years. State and Federal representatives’ age moved from 30 to 25, while the age limit for senator and governorship seats remain the same — 30 years of age.
See the moment the bill was signed into law:
Since the President signed the bill, Twitter has been flooded with reactions.
See some of them:
More than half of our 180 million population are young people under the age of 30. Today’s signing of the #NotTooYoungToRun Bill represents the beginning of the inclusion of this vital segment into our nation-building.
— Bukola Saraki (@bukolasaraki) May 31, 2018
What is there to celebrate in an allegedly 75 year old man (football age?) who does not have a single youth in his cabinet, signing the #NotTooYoungToRun Bill? If he believes in it, then he should have at least one youth in his cabinet. He just wants to reap where he hasn’t sown.
— Reno Omokri (@renoomokri) May 31, 2018
The #NotTooYoungToRun bill means that:
Minimum Age to Contest for:
1. President – 30 years.
2. Governor 30 years.
3. Senate – 30 years.
4. House of Representatives – 25 years.
5. State House of Assembly – 25 years.
— Ebuka Akara (@ebuka_akara) May 31, 2018
Today is a very historic day. #NotTooYoungToRun kudos, kudos, kudos
Although the truth is… this isn’t the end. It’s only just the beginning of this movement. A shift is coming!!!! #NotTooYoungToRun
— Maryam Laushi (@MimieLaushi) May 31, 2018
With signing the #NotTooYoungToRun bill into law, Pres. @MBuhari affirms his desire to trusting Nigerian youth to lead Nigeria. As a Presidential Aspirant who falls within the age bracket, I call upon all Nigerians to rally around my candidacy to bring this law to reality in 2019
— Adamu Garba II (@adamugarba) May 31, 2018
Even as the #NotTooYoungToRun bill is being passed. My concern is “CREDIBILITY” ! You being young is not enough to qualify you to rule. If you are not credible enough or still want to wallow in corruption, please ???????? stay off. We can’t recycle our suffering in #Nigeria
— Adaobi ???????? (@Ada_obii) May 31, 2018
#New age for public offices are now.
35years for President
30years for Governor
30years for Senate
25years for House of Representatives
25years for State House of Assembly
Still, go & join a political party & be actively part of the game ooo ????#NotTooYoungToRun
— Elsie Godwin (@ELSiEiSY) May 31, 2018
Congratulations to Nigerian youths as @NGRPresident @MBuhari signs #NotTooYoungToRun bill into law. The U.S. supports a free, fair, and inclusive political process in Nigeria that includes the voices of young people, women, and the disabled.
— U.S. Mission Nigeria (@USEmbassyAbuja) May 31, 2018
It’s not enough to start shouting #NotTooYoungToRun. You must:
Join a political party;
Have money or raise money;
Become friends with delegates in your locality;
Operate in the grassroot;
Build a solid political team.
Then you are ready. Same applies in the US
— Adeyanju Deji ???????? (@adeyanjudeji) May 31, 2018
To everyone who made the signing of the #NotTooYoungToRun bill possible, I thank you immensely.
Your efforts shall not be in vain.
The youths are the future.
Its time to correct the mistakes of past leaders, unite Nigeria and create a better life for the common man. pic.twitter.com/SClHG68ttG
— Yul Edochie (@YulEdochie) May 31, 2018
Politics is local, Politics is local yen yen yen!
— BONARIO NNAGS (@bonario89) May 30, 2018
For the record: Just 3 State Houses of Assembly declined assent to the #NotTooYoungToRun bill; Kano State House of Assembly,
Lagos State House of Assembly and
Zamfara State House of Assembly declined to vote on the age reduction bill..
Shame on all of you from these states!
— Oluyemi Fasipe ???????? (@YemieFASH) May 28, 2018
I was discussing with my friend about the #NotTooYoungToRun bill
And he said
” Let’s hope these people do not see it as an opportunity to turn it into a family business and fix their kids into it. “
— Teminikan (@its_temi_) May 31, 2018
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- NBS to spend $3.5m on poverty statistics survey
- Delta Air to launch first biometric terminal in the U.S
- FG abolishes payment of Overstay fees by dual citizens
- Polaris Bank takes over distressed Skye Bank assets
- NNPC faults Police over funds discovered in Banks
- Abubakar cautions politicians against disrupting 2019 poll
- Why I want Buhari out in 2019- Tambuwal
- Woman In Pain As Doctors Find 'Dead Tortoise' In Her Privates
- Beautiful Pics Of The New Terminal Of Port Harcourt Airport
- Two Men Fight Over Who'll Sit At Front Seat Of A Bus In Lagos
- BREAKING: CBN Revokes Skye Bank’s License
- Yahoo Boy Weeps Profusely After Being Arrested With Others
- Offa Bank Robbery: Security guard caught raking up customers’ monies
- Belgium,France make FIFA ranking history
- CR7 set to be cleared to face Man United
- Nasarawa United Chairman hails credible, fair NFF election
- Nigeria ex-footballer,Indian wife arrested for Fraud
- WBA Champion’s title defence cancelled
- World Bank predicts waste growth in Africa
- Messi hits new personal best for Barcelona
- Barcelona player ratings against PSV from big 4-0 win
- Federer: You can’t prepare to play Nadal
- 'I Rather Die Than Be R*ped' - Pretty Lady Injured By A "R*pist"
- Okorocha's 56th Birthday Celebration (Photos)
- Pilot Sentenced To 15-Year-Jail Term For Forgery In Lagos
- Why PDP Lost In 2015 But Will Win In 2019 – Kwankwaso
- How People React To Adebayo Shittu Skipping NYSC
- Okonjo-Iweala commiseates with Nigeria over flood disaster
- 'Have We Ever Met Before'? - Buhari Asks New DG Of DSS During Meeting
- Blood Flows As Oro Worshippers and Muslims Clash In Oyo State (Graphic Photos)
- "Certificate Forgery": I Won't Resign - Buhari's Aide, Obono-Obla
- Man's Manhood 'Disappears' After Taking Money From Rich Man In Lagos (Photo)
- No Actress Dares Offer Me S*x For Movie Role - Kunle Afolayan
- Pastor Allegedly Abandons Wife In Canada, Returns To Nigeria To Marry Lady He Called His Sister
- Dollar slumps amidst monetary tightening plans
- Trade war: Trump’s strong-arm tactics with China slipping
- Local airline operators lament loses over failed national carrier
- Woman Cries After She Was Battered By Soldiers In Lagos
- NYSC Member Urinates On Self After Collapsing In Lagos (Pics)
- Another senior minister in NYSC scandal