Yesterday, an amendment bill that proposes a N2 million fine and two-year jail term for abuse of tramadol and codeine passed a second reading at the Nigerian House of Representatives.
During the debate, Hon. Apiafi said:
"In Nigeria, between January and December 2015, one thousand and forty-four (1044) patients were admitted for treatment in the 11 treatment centers currently part of the Nigeria Epidemiological Network of Drug Use ( NENDU) reporting system."
She went on to state that since 2015, codeine has nearly overtaken tramadol as the most abused opiate in Nigeria:
"Thousands of young people in Nigeria are addicted to codeine cough syrup - a medicine that has become a street drug.
Three million bottles are drunk everyday in Nigeria’s North alone, according to a recent Nigerian government report."
Yes, but isn't that indicative of a larger, deeper problem? Are we not going to ask why they're turning to drugs? Should we not be falling over ourselves to build rehab centres?
Addiction is defined as a complex disease of the brain and body that involves the compulsive use of one or more substances, despite serious health and social consequences. Addiction is a disease, not a crime. Criminalizing addiction will not make the problem go away.
The new bill stipulates penalties for individuals up to the tune of N2 million or a prison term of two years or both; and in the case of a corporate body, all the directors, managers, partners, trustees would be guilty of an offence and would be punished as if they committed the offence themselves.
You see, a bottle of cough syrup with codeine costs about N1000 - N2500, and a satchet of tramadol is about N100. If addicts had N2 million to spare - or just had it - neither of those would be their drug of choice. The FG needs to stop bandaging issues up instead of attacking the root causes.
A ban won't solve it. Criminalization will definitely not solve it. But rehabilitation is certainly a start.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Banks struggle between steady income lines, declining profits
- Okorocha may sacrifice son-in-law governorship ambition
- Customs raises alarms over fake recruitment sites
- Drogba sends warning to Super Eagles ahead of Argentina clash
- Iheanacho confident of victory against Argentina
- Oil hits $74.10/barrel as OPEC moves toward spiking supply
- Nigeria to begin fuel exportation by 2019, says Baru
- 2018 World Cup: Pogba reveals Nigeria will be tough opponents
- Mikel to wear arm guard against Argentina
- Nigeria has highest number of extremely poor people – Report
- Bishop Oyedepo: You Can Be A Christian and Miss Heaven
- 5 Mistakes Graduates Are Making That's Denying Them Success
- TRAGIC! Obituary Of Lady & Her Brother Who Died In Accident
- Makeup Artist Transforms Lady Who Survived Burns Into A Queen For Her Wedding
- Boko Haram Fuel Supplier, Who's A Filling Station Manager, Nabbed By Soldiers
- Gunmen Disappear With Ondo Traditional Ruler's Wife
- Woman Who's A Witch Falls From Sky & Lands On Police Barrack In Delta State (Photos)
- PDP ridicules APC National Convention as ‘a mockery of democracy’
- Plateau killings: Buhari speaks tough, appeals for calm
- Saraki keeps APC leaders in suspense over his party membership
- See Woman Who Escaped After Over 100 Were Killed In Plateau
- How D'banj's Son Got Drowned In His Swimming Pool (Update)
- Imagine What Husband & Wife Did To This Boy Living With Them
- "Why I Didn't Attend APC Convention" – Kwankwaso
- Disgraced Ex-Minister Runs Abuja Clinic Without Licence For Years
- Nigeria Overtakes India As Poorest Country In The World
- "Why Herdsmen Killed People In Plateau" – Miyetti Allah Chairman
- Armed herdsmen kill 86 in Plateau
- Sowore blasts Buhari over 2018 Budget
- Buhari at war with NASS over disquieting budget crisis
- Police places N1m bounty on masked woman that “exposed” rich police officer
- Lagos Police Place N1m Reward On Masked Lady
- PhD Scandal: Embattled Osun Rector Arrested, Detained
- PDP To APC Chairman Oshiomhole: "Submit Yourself To EFCC"
- ‘Time Will Tell’ On My Position In APC - Saraki
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Computer Accessories To Make Life Easy
- Fayose's Wife Bags Masters Degree From Ekiti State University
- See Young Kidnapper Who Abducted People In Rivers State (Pics)
- D’banj’s Son & Only Child Dies