A woman who managed to stage a grand escape from the deadly Boko Haram sect after she was captured, has recounted her ordeal in the Sambisa forest.
Aisha Bukar, a 25-year-old housewife and mother of five, yesterday recounted her ordeal in the hands of Boko-Haram insurgents, saying she, her husband, mother-in-law and children, fed on ‘weeds’ to survive, the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports.
Mrs. Bukar, one of the captives of the insurgents, escaped from their enclave after a military war plane bombed their hideout in Sambisa Forest recently.
She told NAN that she escaped from the camp with her husband, mother in-law and the five children.
She said members of her family were incarcerated for about three years by the insurgents in the Sambisa Forest.
She recalled that the insurgents abducted them while working in a farm at Talala, a village in Damboa Local Government Area of Borno.
Mrs. Bukar added that they had denied them food and drugs, following her husband’s refusal to fight for their group.
She said: “We were working in the farm when the insurgents abducted me, my husband, children and mother in-law. They took us deep into Sambisa Forest, where we stayed for about three years.
“They asked my husband to take up arms and fight for them, a request he declined; they became infuriated and labeled him as stubborn; to break his will, they denied us food and drugs.
“We barely survived on leaves and weeds; we also relied on herbs when sick; they distributed food only to their fighters and those who submit to their demands.”
Mrs. Bukar lamented that the insurgents meted out inhuman treatments and abuses on women and children under their captivity.
The escapee revealed that the insurgents compelled captives, including women and children, to be attending preaching and lecture sessions.
She said: “My husband was flogged on many occasions over his persistent absenteeism at the lecture sessions. His back is covered with ugly scars of injuries sustained from merciless beating by the insurgents.”
Latest Nigeria News
- Nigeria’s tiers of government share N647.39 in March
- Buhari condemns killing of priests, worshippers in Benue Church
- Lagos IGR hits N103.4bn in first quarter of 2018
- Police explain why Dino Melaye was arrested for interrogation
- Massive corruption evident under Buhari, says US report
- Melaye jumps out of police van, lands in hospital
- Order Saraki, Melaye, others to refund ‘illegal N13.5m allowance with interest’ – SERAP tells court
- Nigeria, Saudi Arabia in faceoff over attempts to block pilgrims
- Boateng: We can only stop Ronaldo as a team
- New corps members’ allowance dependent on new minimum wage – DG
- NSE marks Earth Day, seals corporate recycling MoU with RecyclePoints limited
- NCC withdraws 41m Starcomms, Zoom mobile, others numbers
- NBC accuses Daar Communications of violation, stops FM radio
- Herdsmen turn on Catholic church in Benue, kill 27 worshipers in 4 days
- Saraki, Senate abandon Melaye
- Zenith Bank’s Q1 results indicate strong improvements
- Henderson: Salah will stay to break more Liverpool records
- NSE: Equities record marginal decline, trend to continue if….
- 419 Gang Who Dupe People With Fake Currency Nabbed In Lagos
- Living The Life Of A True Christian Who Can Make Heaven
- Save Lagos Group laments infrastructure decay in primary schools
- Nigeria gets $1.5m interest on returned Abacha loot
- Who Left Over N1Billion In An Account But Can't Claim It?
- Ex-President Bush Hospitalized Days After Wife’s Death
- Offa Robbery Update: Affected Bank Sacks 5 Staff
- Man Escapes Tragic Death As Car Is Crushed By Big Truck
- There's A Plot To Kill Me - Dino Melaye Cries Out
- Offa Attack: Five bank staffers sacked; top police officers linked
- Bishop Oyedepo berates Buhari: Your government is a failure, God is angry with you
- The “approved” $1 billion for arms purchase
- Wading into the Oba-Emir Debate
- Melaye alleges plot to assassinate him
- Obama Foundation introduces new programme for emerging leaders in Africa
- APC Chairmanship: Oshiomhole’s candidature suffers setback
- Lagos Policemen Chased My Son To Death - Father
- Dino Melaye: They snatched my passport, I snatched it back
- EFCC Arrests Ibori’s Man, Senator Nwaoboshi Over N6B "Fraud"
- Lagos Security Man Arrested For Impregnating His Daughter
- Melaye trapped, helpless as police speaks on reinforced siege
- Dino Melaye surrenders