A woman who managed to stage a grand escape from the deadly Boko Haram sect after she was captured, has recounted her ordeal in the Sambisa forest.
Aisha Bukar, a 25-year-old housewife and mother of five, yesterday recounted her ordeal in the hands of Boko-Haram insurgents, saying she, her husband, mother-in-law and children, fed on ‘weeds’ to survive, the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports.
Mrs. Bukar, one of the captives of the insurgents, escaped from their enclave after a military war plane bombed their hideout in Sambisa Forest recently.
She told NAN that she escaped from the camp with her husband, mother in-law and the five children.
She said members of her family were incarcerated for about three years by the insurgents in the Sambisa Forest.
She recalled that the insurgents abducted them while working in a farm at Talala, a village in Damboa Local Government Area of Borno.
Mrs. Bukar added that they had denied them food and drugs, following her husband’s refusal to fight for their group.
She said: “We were working in the farm when the insurgents abducted me, my husband, children and mother in-law. They took us deep into Sambisa Forest, where we stayed for about three years.
“They asked my husband to take up arms and fight for them, a request he declined; they became infuriated and labeled him as stubborn; to break his will, they denied us food and drugs.
“We barely survived on leaves and weeds; we also relied on herbs when sick; they distributed food only to their fighters and those who submit to their demands.”
Mrs. Bukar lamented that the insurgents meted out inhuman treatments and abuses on women and children under their captivity.
The escapee revealed that the insurgents compelled captives, including women and children, to be attending preaching and lecture sessions.
She said: “My husband was flogged on many occasions over his persistent absenteeism at the lecture sessions. His back is covered with ugly scars of injuries sustained from merciless beating by the insurgents.”
Latest Nigeria News
- CJN Onnoghen Saga: FG Asks NFIU To Freeze His Accounts
- Mba returns as Force spokesperson
- Nigeria has a date with destiny in 2019 – Saraki
- Onnoghen: Osinbajo says Buhari knew about CJN trial Saturday
- Ex-NAF chief forfeits billions to FG
- Justice praises late Badeh in court, adjourns trial
- Nigeria envoys dies while waiting to see doctor
- National armoury up in flames
- Esperance announces capture of NPFL hotshot Junior Lokosa
- Nigeria gets 29 FIFA Referees for International Matches
- Petr Cech confirms he will retire at the end of the season after 20-year career
- Confluence Queens unveil Whyte as new Head Coach
- Buttler won’t mind if Football is banned
- Plateau united to play 3 home matches in illorin
- EU regrets after British MPs reject Brexit deal
- Atiku tops list of most searched presidential candidate
- Onnoghen: Fani-Kayode, Odumankin land in EFCC trouble
- About 500,000 PVCs gathering dust in Kano
- Nigeria bourse chief ties H2 market uptick to swift passage of 2019 budget
- U.K. Brexit deal rejected
- NIMASA to address maritime security challenges
- We never arrested, nor raided Onnoghen’s house – EFCC
- Bad power supply remains greatest challenge to businesses – CBN
- Fani-Kayode apologises to EFCC over fake news
- Dismissed Policeman Caught Stealing In Lagos
- UNILAG Launches First Campus TV Station
- 5 Things To Know About The New IGP, Mohammed Adamu
- MC Oluomo Resurfaces, Still Recovering In Hospital (Photos)
- What I Will Do As New Police Boss - IGP Adamu
- How Innocent Boy Spent 2 Years In Prison For A Crime He Didn't Commit (Photos)
- Drama As 2 Police Commissioners Resume In Lagos: "I Remain In Charge", says CP Edgal
- Update On The Deadly Attack At Kenya Hotel, Many Killed
- Atiku Raises Alarm: INEC Releasing PVC To APC Governors
- Single Mother Killed By Man She Followed To Hotel Room...
- New IGP Adamu Reverses Ex-IG Idris Last Minute Postings... May Save Four DIGs
- Okorocha, Six Others Summoned To APC Disciplinary Panel
- CJN Onnoghen and President Buhari Meet Face To Face
- Police Rescue Man From Committing Suicide On Lagos Bridge
- DAILY INSPIRATION FOR POSITIVE LIVING
- People who sleep less risk heart disease – Report