A woman who managed to stage a grand escape from the deadly Boko Haram sect after she was captured, has recounted her ordeal in the Sambisa forest.
Aisha Bukar, a 25-year-old housewife and mother of five, yesterday recounted her ordeal in the hands of Boko-Haram insurgents, saying she, her husband, mother-in-law and children, fed on ‘weeds’ to survive, the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports.
Mrs. Bukar, one of the captives of the insurgents, escaped from their enclave after a military war plane bombed their hideout in Sambisa Forest recently.
She told NAN that she escaped from the camp with her husband, mother in-law and the five children.
She said members of her family were incarcerated for about three years by the insurgents in the Sambisa Forest.
She recalled that the insurgents abducted them while working in a farm at Talala, a village in Damboa Local Government Area of Borno.
Mrs. Bukar added that they had denied them food and drugs, following her husband’s refusal to fight for their group.
She said: “We were working in the farm when the insurgents abducted me, my husband, children and mother in-law. They took us deep into Sambisa Forest, where we stayed for about three years.
“They asked my husband to take up arms and fight for them, a request he declined; they became infuriated and labeled him as stubborn; to break his will, they denied us food and drugs.
“We barely survived on leaves and weeds; we also relied on herbs when sick; they distributed food only to their fighters and those who submit to their demands.”
Mrs. Bukar lamented that the insurgents meted out inhuman treatments and abuses on women and children under their captivity.
The escapee revealed that the insurgents compelled captives, including women and children, to be attending preaching and lecture sessions.
She said: “My husband was flogged on many occasions over his persistent absenteeism at the lecture sessions. His back is covered with ugly scars of injuries sustained from merciless beating by the insurgents.”
Latest Nigeria News
- Amazing Benefits of Business Travel
- How 5 Members Of The Lord's Chosen Church Escaped Death
- Workers Shut Down ExxonMobil Headquarters For Sacking 860 Nigerian Spy Police
- Evil Man Stabs Lover's Son To Death So He Can Have The Mother "Fully" (Graphic Pic)
- Ekiti Election Has Too Many Fraud - US observer group, others
- How N720bn Cash Disappeared: Banks, Ex-CEOs In Trouble
- Fayose Raises Alarm Over Actions Of Federal Security
- Govt. Plane To Evacuate Stranded Nigerians From Russia
- EFCC Re-Arraigns Uzor Kalu For ‘Laundering N7.6bn'
- Ekiti Election: PDP Takes Major Step To Expose "Rigging"
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- President Buhari and the killings in Nigeria: A coincidence? Facts and questions for the 2019 elections and a better Nigeria
- Welbeck and Ospina might leave Arsenal
- Shehu’s wife debunks assault story
- World Cup 2022: Book flights two years ahead; urges Qatar airline boss
- Warri/Sapele Stadium to wear an international look soon – Gov. Okowa
- Andy Murray drops to World No. 839
- Latest football gossip
- CR7:Wanted to join a big Club, not retire in Asia
- Oshiomhole begins reform in APC
- Ekiti 2018: SERAP demands prosecution of votes buyers in gov poll
- ICAN president to FG sell idle assets
- Education: 25,000 Nigerians gain admission into U.S. colleges, universities
- Bribery allegation trails NPA, Navy call-up system in Apapa
- Truck owners call-off 9-day-strike
- Boy, 5, falls off, dangles from 19th floor of multi-story
- EFCC REPENTS! Deletes & Disowns Tweet Mocking Fayose
- Tears Of Joy! Nigerian Couple Buys A Car For Their Daughter's Teacher (Photos)
- Buhari Writes Senate, Asks For N164bn For 2019 Election
- Senate confirms Musiliu Smith as chairman of PSC
- Osun Guber: APC to adopt direct primary to pick candidate
- Twitter goes on fire as Nigerians react to DStv tarrif hike
- Why Nigeria has remained backward – Donald Duke
- Gas explosion kills 3 children in Jigawa
- ALTON frowns at sealing of 9mobile’s premises
- NBC mulls sanctions for broadcast stations over N4.2bn debt
- Nigeria set to unveil new national carrier in London
- Finance Minister asked to renounce allegations of NYSC Certification Fraud or Resign
- Orji Kalu re-arraigns for fraud
- FFK Reacts To Ekiti Election: "Weep Not For Fayose"