North Korea said Thursday it will not hold talks with Seoul under the current diplomatic situation, calling South Korean officials “ignorant and incompetent” a day after the hermit state abruptly cancelled planned inter-Korean discussions.
A high-level meeting between the two neighbours had been scheduled for Wednesday, but the North pulled out early that morning over joint military exercises between the US and the South.
The two-week “Max Thunder” drills started on May 11 and involve some 100 aircraft from the two allies, including F-22 stealth fighter jets.
“Unless the serious situation which led to the suspension of the north-south high-level talks is settled, it will never be easy to sit face-to-face again with the present regime of South Korea,” the official KCNA news agency cited top negotiator Ri Son Gwon as saying on Thursday.
Pyongyang has also threatened to cancel a historic summit between US President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un in Singapore next month, following weeks of tentative rapprochement.
Ri, head of the North’s Committee for the Peaceful Reunification of the Country, described the South’s reaction to the meeting’s cancellation as a “confrontation racket”, according to KCNA.
“On this opportunity the present South Korean authorities have been clearly proven to be an ignorant and incompetent group devoid of the elementary sense of the present situation,” he added.
In Wednesday’s angrily worded statement, KCNA denounced the Max Thunder exercises as a “rude and wicked provocation”, and Seoul said it had received a message cancelling planned high-level talks “indefinitely”.
The language used in the two outbursts is a sudden and dramatic return to the rhetoric of the past from Pyongyang, which has long argued that it needs nuclear weapons to defend itself against the US.
Hostilities in the 1950-53 Korean War stopped with a ceasefire, leaving the two halves of the peninsula divided by the Demilitarized Zone (DMZ) and still technically at war.
At a dramatic summit last month in Panmunjom, the truce village in the DMZ, Kim and the South’s President Moon Jae-in pledged to pursue a peace treaty to formally end the conflict, and reaffirmed their commitment to denuclearising the Korean peninsula.
But the phrase is open to interpretation on both sides and the North has spent decades developing its atomic arsenal, culminating last year in its sixth nuclear test — by far its biggest to date — and the launch of missiles capable of reaching the US.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- UBA lifts restriction on cash withdrawals abroad, Naira cards
- Grandmother ‘sentenced to death’ for drug trafficking
- Investors shun Banks over rising NPLs
- NSE index dips as bear continues to weigh on stocks
- Naira loses steam, remains stagnant at parallel market
- NBC compounds Okorocha’s woes, shuts down Reach FM
- Obaseki stalls bail condition for PDP leader – Nehikhare
- Ambode receives Leadership Award
- I don’t want this player against Liverpool, Ronaldo tells Zidane
- Role-for-sex stories: From Richard Akindele, Bill Cosby to Morgan Freeman
- Regnar, Aiden,Liam: Fani-Kayode’s latest triplets
- Movie producer accused of rape, sex abuse surrenders to Police
- Kebbi Governor, Bagudu, leads APC 77-member campaign squad for Ekiti governorship election
- No PVC, No Sex: Women to demand ‘gate-fee’ before succumbing to their husbands in bed
- How Peter Obi touched my heart
- Ronaldinho opens up on planned marriage to 2 girls same day in August
- What Klopp’s Liverpool have in common with Fergie’s United
- Behold, new coaches across clubs
- Liverpool Transfer: Shaming Suarez, Coutinho
- What’s new about Pochettino
- Aubameyang’s anti-Wenger statement
- Bad news for Real Madrid
- Salah dominates Liverpool vs Real Madrid combined XI
- Trouble in Liverpool’s camp
- SARS Officer Killed 10 Days After His Wedding (Photos)
- How To Kill SIN In Your Life To Avoid Destruction
- FACTS: Only $8b Released Between Obasanjo & Buhari for Power, there's no $16b
- Twin Brothers, Naval Officer Arrested For Robbery, R*ping
- Billionaire Businesswoman Alakija: My staff defrauded me millions
- FG Has Not Awarded Contract For 2nd Niger Bridge?
- I'm Privileged To Sleep In The Same Prison Bed Used By Obasanjo - Senator Jang
- Here Are Foods That Can Make You Age Faster
- 'Herdsmen' Slaughter Two People Returning From Catholic Priests' Burial?
- Peace Corps Bill Fails As House Of Reps Refuse To Veto Buhari
- Buhari Drops Okiro From Police Service Commission; Replaced By Ex-IGP Smith
- Father in prison for 'defiling' 4 daughters; says "I was manipulated'
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Handball Forum passes vote of confidence on Federation
- Nigerian fans entertained at UEFA game with S.Eagles
- Budget Padding: Finally, court judgement favours Hon. Jibrin