Zambia emulates Nigeria’s nuclear energy policy as Federal Government finalize modalities for new power plant
– Nigeria has led the way for some African countries in terms of investing in nuclear energy
– Zambia on its part has signed a general contract for the construction of a Centre for Nuclear Science and Technology (CNST) with ROSATOM
– The federal government of Nigeria, last October, signed an agreement with ROSATOM – Russia’s state-owned nuclear energy provider
As the Nigerian government works out modalities for construction of the nation’s nuclear research center and nuclear power plant – with ROSATOM – Russia’s state-owned nuclear energy provider, Zambia has signed a general contract for the construction of a Centre for Nuclear Science and Technology (CNST), with the Russian state firm.
The signing took place during the 10th international Atomexpo-2018 forum in Sochi.
On behalf of Russia, the document was signed by general director of State Specialized Design Institute JSC (GSPI) Vyacheslav Galushkov, on behalf of Zambia – by permanent secretary of the ministry of higher education of Zambia, Mabvuto Sakala.
The signing took place in the presence of the general director of state corporation Rosatom Alexey Likhachev and the minister of energy of Zambia, Mathew Nkhuwa.
This marks the first joint project of Russia and Zambia in the field of nuclear technologies.
General Director of Rosatom, Alexey Likhachev said: “Signing the contract opens a new chapter in the partnership between Russia and Zambia. In the nearest future, we plan to start extensive practical works, including engineering surveys at the site of the centre, assessment of nuclear infrastructure and subsequent development plan in accordance with IAEA recommendations as well as global and Russian best practice.
“Construction of the center will enable the Republic of Zambia to become one of the leading players in nuclear technologies application in the Central and Southern African region.”
The center will be located 10 kilometers away from the capital of Zambia, Lusaka and the CNST will include a nuclear research facility based on a multipurpose research water-cooled reactor of up to 10 MW, a state of the art laboratory complex, multipurpose irradiation center as well as a cyclotron-based nuclear medicine center.
The project will be implemented in several stages within 3-6 years from the work commencement date under the contract.
The center will ensure wide application of radiation technologies in medicine, industry and agriculture. The CNST will also promote the growth of national education and science through the training of highly qualified experts in various fields.
Russia was represented in the CNST negotiations by the experts of Rusatom Overseas JSC, its management perimeter includes the GSPI. The contract signing strengthens significantly the presence of Rosatom on the global market of non-energy products and technologies, which shows dynamic growth rates today.
READ ALSO: Nigeria set to build nuclear power plants
Meanwhile, officials of Nigeria’s Nuclear Regulatory Agency and the Atomic Energy Commission also participated in the 10th edition of ATOMEXPO.
The international forum held in the Russian city of Sochi, seeks global partnerships on peaceful uses of atomic energy.
Female aerospace engineer from the Tsaigumi UAV team on NAIJ.com
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- We’ve no objection to Access Bank, Diamond Bank merger – CBN
- NASS leadership directs Police, SSS to secure complex for budget presentation
- Tinubu taunts Agbaje ahead of 2019 elections
- Oil companies still owing FG over $1bn in taxes – Obono-Obla
- Qatar unveils 2022 World Cup final stadium design
- Man Utd hand Smalling new contract
- Messi sets new Barcelona record in scintillating Levante performance
- Hazard inspires Chelsea victory
- Ramos: There is no margin for error
- NBS boss Yemi Kale denies Presidency claim that he admitted FG created 12m Jobs
- 3 Ladies Disgraced After Being Caught Stealing
- Gallant Nigerian Soldier Celebrate Birthday In Battlefield
- ASUU Storms Out Of Meeting With FG, Strike Continue
- Ambode Openly Endorse Sanwo-Olu, Hamzat For Lagos
- Dancing Senator Tenders Results Of Osun Election
- Seriously? $1trillion Oil Money Yet To Be Recovered By Govt.
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Police Officer Who Shot A Good Man Finally Arrested
- You All Must Make Sure PDP Don't Win 2019 - Tinubu Charges Lagos APC Leaders
- NYSC Member Who's A Yahoo Boy Nabbed Over Big Fraud
- Buhari Is Short Of Ideas, No Economist In His Cabinet... I Will Fix The Economy - Atiku
- Man Impregnates 12yrs Old Girl In Lagos, Begs For Settlement
- I Won't Rig 2019 Polls The Way They Rigged Me Out In The Past - President Buhari
- Police detain Deji Adeyanju for murder four years after acquittal
- I'm Not Responsible For Your Failure - Jonathan Replies Buhari
- Shock As Woman Who Killed Her Daughter Is Found Not Guilty Of Murder... and here's why
- Why I Parted Ways With Tinubu - Jimi Agbaje
- Female Corper Trends As She Use 'Terrible' English To Report A Crime (Photos)
- Female Robbers Exchange Gun Fire With Nigeria Police
- Sex-for-mark: Disgraced OAU lecturer pleads guilty in court
- Messi sets new Barcelona record
- 5,000 APC members defects to PDP in Ondo
- I will emerge next Governor of Ogun State – Akinlade
- See The Cake President Buhari Celebrated His Birthday With
- Diamond Bank Confirms Merger With Access Bank
- Young Abuja Judge Whose Wife Is Pregnant Slumps, Dies
- Kwankwaso Opens Up On Alleged Plan To Dump PDP For APC
- 'Yahoo Boy' Runs Mad While Trying To Withdraw Cash In Delta (Photos)
- Sarri swoops to sign Dortmund star Pulisic
- NSF 2018: Odunlade visits Osun Camp in Abuja, lauds Athletes, Officials