The Ohanaeze Ndigbo on Wednesday declared that Biafra is not feasible.
The apex Igbo body, however, assured that secessionist agitations will be addressed through a well restructured federal system, anchored on justice, equity, rule of law and equal opportunity.
Prof. Chigozie Ogbu, the Deputy National President of Ohaneze Ndigbo, stated this in Abakaliki, while delivering a speech at a town hall meeting.
Ogbu, former Deputy Governor of Ebonyi, said that secessionist agitations in some parts of the country, including the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), began due to alleged perceived marginalisation, occasioned by imbalance in Nigeria’s federal structure.
He said that the agitators were fed up with Nigeria and the alleged perceived marginalisation of Igbo nation and decided that they did not want to belong to Nigeria.
Ogbu, who is also the Acting Vice Chancellor, Ebonyi State University, noted that Ohaneze Ndigbo dialogued with IPOB and other pro-Biafra groups to dissuade them from secessionist agitations.
“Some of our sons and daughters who have gotten sober with Nigeria and decided that they don’t want to belong to Nigeria any more, maintained that Igbos have no reason to belong to Nigeria, formed these secessionist groups.
“But we have looked at that very carefully, and found that achieving an independent Biafran State is ‘non starter,’ given processes involved unless through war.
“The only thing that may take you even there is war and nobody here who witnessed the civil war will ever wish war for Ndigbo anymore.
“So, we dialogued with them, we talked with them and said to them let’s start with restructuring, let’s get it right this time, may be with time we can have plebiscite to determine whether we can have Biafra or not.
“So, people should understand that Biafra is not feasible at this time if you analyse all the processes involved. They are talking about referendum; referendum is not contained in the 1999 Nigeria constitution.
“Let those who interact with them tell them that Igbos should not short change themselves; we are trying to see how we can right some wrongs done to Igbos and I think we will achieve that if we work together, ” Ogbu said.
Ogbu said that the town hall meeting was convened to articulate the position of Ebonyi on some key issues of restructuring, ahead of the Igbo Summit holding in Awka, Anambra on May 21.
He said that the present leadership of Ohaneze Ndigbo had succeeded in bringing about a united Southern region, where all the zones in the region could speak with one voice on national issues.
He added that the South-West and South-South, had adopted positions on restructuring, stressing that the views of the three geo-political zones would help to achieve a stronger position in the restructuring debate.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Prince Oladimeji charges Kwara United to win 2018 Aiteo Cup
- Maigari concedes defeat to Pinnick in NFF presidential election
- NBS to spend $3.5m on poverty statistics survey
- Delta Air to launch first biometric terminal in the U.S
- FG abolishes payment of Overstay fees by dual citizens
- Polaris Bank takes over distressed Skye Bank assets
- NNPC faults Police over funds discovered in Banks
- Abubakar cautions politicians against disrupting 2019 poll
- Why I want Buhari out in 2019- Tambuwal
- Woman In Pain As Doctors Find 'Dead Tortoise' In Her Privates
- Beautiful Pics Of The New Terminal Of Port Harcourt Airport
- Two Men Fight Over Who'll Sit At Front Seat Of A Bus In Lagos
- BREAKING: CBN Revokes Skye Bank’s License
- Yahoo Boy Weeps Profusely After Being Arrested With Others
- Offa Bank Robbery: Security guard caught raking up customers’ monies
- Belgium,France make FIFA ranking history
- CR7 set to be cleared to face Man United
- Nasarawa United Chairman hails credible, fair NFF election
- Nigeria ex-footballer,Indian wife arrested for Fraud
- WBA Champion’s title defence cancelled
- World Bank predicts waste growth in Africa
- Messi hits new personal best for Barcelona
- Barcelona player ratings against PSV from big 4-0 win
- Federer: You can’t prepare to play Nadal
- 'I Rather Die Than Be R*ped' - Pretty Lady Injured By A "R*pist"
- Okorocha's 56th Birthday Celebration (Photos)
- Pilot Sentenced To 15-Year-Jail Term For Forgery In Lagos
- Why PDP Lost In 2015 But Will Win In 2019 – Kwankwaso
- How People React To Adebayo Shittu Skipping NYSC
- Okonjo-Iweala commiseates with Nigeria over flood disaster
- 'Have We Ever Met Before'? - Buhari Asks New DG Of DSS During Meeting
- Blood Flows As Oro Worshippers and Muslims Clash In Oyo State (Graphic Photos)
- "Certificate Forgery": I Won't Resign - Buhari's Aide, Obono-Obla
- Man's Manhood 'Disappears' After Taking Money From Rich Man In Lagos (Photo)
- No Actress Dares Offer Me S*x For Movie Role - Kunle Afolayan
- Pastor Allegedly Abandons Wife In Canada, Returns To Nigeria To Marry Lady He Called His Sister
- Dollar slumps amidst monetary tightening plans
- Trade war: Trump’s strong-arm tactics with China slipping
- Local airline operators lament loses over failed national carrier
- Woman Cries After She Was Battered By Soldiers In Lagos