The Ohanaeze Ndigbo on Wednesday declared that Biafra is not feasible.
The apex Igbo body, however, assured that secessionist agitations will be addressed through a well restructured federal system, anchored on justice, equity, rule of law and equal opportunity.
Prof. Chigozie Ogbu, the Deputy National President of Ohaneze Ndigbo, stated this in Abakaliki, while delivering a speech at a town hall meeting.
Ogbu, former Deputy Governor of Ebonyi, said that secessionist agitations in some parts of the country, including the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), began due to alleged perceived marginalisation, occasioned by imbalance in Nigeria’s federal structure.
He said that the agitators were fed up with Nigeria and the alleged perceived marginalisation of Igbo nation and decided that they did not want to belong to Nigeria.
Ogbu, who is also the Acting Vice Chancellor, Ebonyi State University, noted that Ohaneze Ndigbo dialogued with IPOB and other pro-Biafra groups to dissuade them from secessionist agitations.
“Some of our sons and daughters who have gotten sober with Nigeria and decided that they don’t want to belong to Nigeria any more, maintained that Igbos have no reason to belong to Nigeria, formed these secessionist groups.
“But we have looked at that very carefully, and found that achieving an independent Biafran State is ‘non starter,’ given processes involved unless through war.
“The only thing that may take you even there is war and nobody here who witnessed the civil war will ever wish war for Ndigbo anymore.
“So, we dialogued with them, we talked with them and said to them let’s start with restructuring, let’s get it right this time, may be with time we can have plebiscite to determine whether we can have Biafra or not.
“So, people should understand that Biafra is not feasible at this time if you analyse all the processes involved. They are talking about referendum; referendum is not contained in the 1999 Nigeria constitution.
“Let those who interact with them tell them that Igbos should not short change themselves; we are trying to see how we can right some wrongs done to Igbos and I think we will achieve that if we work together, ” Ogbu said.
Ogbu said that the town hall meeting was convened to articulate the position of Ebonyi on some key issues of restructuring, ahead of the Igbo Summit holding in Awka, Anambra on May 21.
He said that the present leadership of Ohaneze Ndigbo had succeeded in bringing about a united Southern region, where all the zones in the region could speak with one voice on national issues.
He added that the South-West and South-South, had adopted positions on restructuring, stressing that the views of the three geo-political zones would help to achieve a stronger position in the restructuring debate.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- "I'm Still In APC" - Governor Ortom says after meeting Oshiomhole
- Woman Finds Rat Trapped In Her Shop With Ring Round Its Neck
- Saraki "Bows" As He Meets Buhari, Osinbajo, APC Governors
- Rowdy Session In Senate Over 'Lopsided Appointments' By Buhari
- "I Want To Go Back To Prison To Rest" – Thief Nabbed In Lagos
- Agency In Abuja "Spent" Over N5bn On Fuel, DSTV Subscription
- Ekiti Governor-Elect Fayemi Visits President Buhari In Aso Rock
- Buhari Appoints Ex-CBN Deputy Governor, Tunde Lemo, As FERMA Chairman
- Woman Who Just Got Married Killed In Katsina Flood, Body Found In Niger Republic
- Dino Melaye Ignores Threats, Commissions Projects In Kogi (Pics)
- We Fear For 2019: Ekiti Election Was For The Highest Bidder, says Anti-Corruption Group
- How Robber Charmed SARS Operatives To Escape From Custody - Robber's Girlfriend
- British Man Plots To Kill Female Prime Minister (Pics & Details)
- Tanker Loaded With Petrol Falls & Spills Content In Lagos; Apapa Residents Raise Alarm
- Finally, FG unveils name, logo of new national carrier
- STRANGE! Female Student Becomes 'Possessed' During Lecture, Loses Consciousness
- All PDP Presidential Aspirants Meet Gov. Tambuwal In Sokoto
- APC crisis: 9 Governors, 31 Senators, 54 Reps, behind R-APC to unseat Buhari
- Another letter: OBJ attacks Buhari again
- Bride drowned in Katisna flood found in Niger Republic
- APC Replies PDP: We Dare You To Go To Court With Your Facts
- 2019: Saraki Meets 4 Governors, Top Politicians; To Dump APC?
- Married Woman Dies After Surgery To Increase Her Buttocks, Doctor On The Run
- Police Dismiss Inspector For Giving Out Information...
- Police Helicopter Threatening My Life - Fayose
- "This Is My First Time" - Kidnapper Begs, Reveals How Much He Got
- See The All New 2019 Honda Pilot (Photos)
- Actor Kenneth Okonkwo Declares To Contest For Governor In Enugu Under APC
- Most Wanted Armed Robber 'Agbara' Shot Dead By Police
- APC crisis: Secondus woes Gemade, Saraki, Tambuwal, Ortom, Ahmed
- Yummy Bread and Egg Recipe To Try Out
- NYSC Announces Date For Batch B, Stream 1 Orientation
- How Abuja Airport Road Has Sent Many People To Their Graves
- Dino Melaye Reacts To The Burning Down Of His School Projects By Hoodlums In Kogi
- Obasanjo Hits Buhari; Says The Govt. Is Incompetent, Confused
- Twin Brothers Die In Accident After Visiting Mother
- "We Now Have Facts On How Ekiti Election Was Rigged" – PDP
- IGP Idris Must End Killing Of Policemen Now – House of Reps
- Top Officials In Trouble As FG Uncovers N62.5bn Fraud In NSITF
- Senate Probes Kachikwu Over Alleged Oil & Gas "Deals"