The Lagos Chamber of Commerce and Industry has called for a ban on the exportation of woods, saying that rather than raw wood, furniture should instead be exported.
The President, LCCI, Mr. Babatunde Ruwase, made the call in Lagos on Wednesday during a media briefing on the state of the economy.
Ruwase observed that the Nigerian environment was suffering from serious degradation arising from pollution, deforestation and climate change in various parts of the country.
He noted that the negative effects of the degradation had already started manifesting in the form of desertification and water pollution, thereby adversely affecting the livelihood of Nigerians in many parts of the country.
He stated, “The herders’ crises, the restiveness in the Niger Delta and the Boko Haram phenomenon in the North-East are partly a consequence of the damage to the environment.
“In the light of these, we call for a ban on the exportation of woods from Nigeria. The present level of deforestation in the country is intolerable. It is better to encourage the exportation of furniture than the exportation of woods.
“Value addition has a more beneficial impact on the economy than primary product export.”
Speaking further, the LCCI president touched on issues bordering on the fate of local engineers in the construction sector, noting that patronage for them was very low.
He also lamented the fact that 90 per cent of the Nigerian shipping sector was dominated by foreigners and sought government’s intervention to address the imbalance.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from PUNCH.
Contact: [email protected]
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- NRA promotion exam holds
- Ronaldo doesn’t guarantee Juventus the title, warns Allegri
- Kofi Anan dies in Switzerland
- NAFRC commandant pulled out from service
- Osun: Parties left out of ballot paper, INEC explains
- Nigeria loses N126.2Bn on abandoned FG properties in Lagos – Unilag Don
- Relatives protest as rescue efforts end at collapsed Abuja building
- Saraki, Ahmed under fire as EFCC tightens noose
- Your ambition a pipe dream, BMO tells Tambuwal
- Why 2019 elections may be delayed
- Story Of Woman & Her Two Daughters Impregnated By One Man
- See The Plane Biafra Leader Ojukwu Used In Fleeing From Nigeria During Civil War (Photos)
- Don't Expose Your Marriage to Your Mother if She Doesn't Respect The Word of God
- Lagos Big Boy, Mark Osigwe, Shot Dead By Assassins (Photos)
- We’ll Humiliate Saraki Out Of Office - APC Senator | He Replies
- Woman Shot Dead By NDLEA During Raid In Lagos
- EFCC Goes After Saraki, Gov. Ahmed Over N7Billion Bond
- APC Already Looking For A New Senate President?
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- How To Get Your Glow Back After Having A Baby
- Housemaid Kills Her Madam By Smashing Her Head With Stone
- Saraki Arrives Akwa Ibom In Style, Received By Crowd (Photos)
- Businessman Killed By Cultists 'On Revenge Mission' In Delta
- Saraki’s 2019 Presidential Ambition Alters Calculations In PDP
- Two Dead, 20 Trapped As Building Collapsed In Abuja
- 2019: The Big Battle For PDP Presidential Ticket Hots Up
- Demolition of my N800m music house political –Yinka Ayefele
- Nigeria’s democracy under threat, says Moghalu
- CBN floods economy with lower Naira denominations
- Saraki declares for 2019
- Israeli PM in corruption scandal
- Lagos State Govt denies privatising water supply
- Sales of pre-registered SIM cards boom despite fines
- I promise better welfare ahead of NWPL resumption –Hon. Odunlade
- Falconets eliminated from World Cup
- FIFA rejects Dalung’s ministerial visit offer
- Dollar depreciates against Naira at parallel market
- INEC Releases 2019 General Elections Notice In Lagos
- I'm An Experienced Job Creator - Atiku
- GEJ To Nigerians: Don't Despair In The Face Of Persecution