The Lagos Chamber of Commerce and Industry has called for a ban on the exportation of woods, saying that rather than raw wood, furniture should instead be exported.
The President, LCCI, Mr. Babatunde Ruwase, made the call in Lagos on Wednesday during a media briefing on the state of the economy.
Ruwase observed that the Nigerian environment was suffering from serious degradation arising from pollution, deforestation and climate change in various parts of the country.
He noted that the negative effects of the degradation had already started manifesting in the form of desertification and water pollution, thereby adversely affecting the livelihood of Nigerians in many parts of the country.
He stated, “The herders’ crises, the restiveness in the Niger Delta and the Boko Haram phenomenon in the North-East are partly a consequence of the damage to the environment.
“In the light of these, we call for a ban on the exportation of woods from Nigeria. The present level of deforestation in the country is intolerable. It is better to encourage the exportation of furniture than the exportation of woods.
“Value addition has a more beneficial impact on the economy than primary product export.”
Speaking further, the LCCI president touched on issues bordering on the fate of local engineers in the construction sector, noting that patronage for them was very low.
He also lamented the fact that 90 per cent of the Nigerian shipping sector was dominated by foreigners and sought government’s intervention to address the imbalance.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from PUNCH.
Contact: [email protected]
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Illicit bank charges: senate takes action
- Ekiti: Fayemi abolishes levy, declares free education
- Rohr speaks on Super Eagles performance
- ” I will blame Rohr for Uzoho’s blunders”
- ‘ Even Messi would struggle at Man Utd ‘
- Ghana 2018: Dennerby invites Oshoala, Oparanozie, Nnadozie, 45 others to camp
- Mama Taraba busts APC office, recovers all she bought for party
- Atiku: The Opposition Candidate Gaining Momentum In Nigeria 2019 Election Race
- Group faults Atiku, Buhari emergence
- CR7 ,Zidane exits stun Real Madrid star Modric
- Vincent Kompany’s father becomes Belgium’s first black mayor
- Lawan, Akpabio, others in stir bedlam in Senate
- Atiku: 40% Of My Cabinet Will Be Women and Youths
- New Ekiti State Governor Fayemi Declares Free Education
- Pre-wedding Photos Of A Nigerian Couple Who Love Football
- Student centered learning- not focusing on tests
- Italy in the maelstrom of the euro
- Canada legalises Marijuana
- IITA floats five-year plan to raise Nigeria’s cocoa productivity
- House of Rep downsizes Ministerial Cabinet
- NPA has no hand in delay of cargo clearance, says NPA boss
- Nigerian Army to battle cyber-attack-Chief of Army Staff
- Saraki & Akpabio Clash: Senate In Rowdy Session
- Fayose Dares EFCC: If You Have Any Case Let's Go To Court
- Only 8 Parties Have Submitted Lists of Candidates, says INEC
- Single Men and Ladies Already Registering For Olu Famous Rescue-Mission (OFR)
- Long wait for business as TSTV dealers demands for refunds
- Fuel subsidy: Senate launches fresh investigation
- N4.7bn fraud: Fayose has a case to answer, says EFCC
- Nigerian Actor Blossom's Wife Suffers Serious Burns After She Poured Hot Water On Her Body (Photos)
- Throwback Photo Of Patience Ozokwor As A Teenage Girl
- Lagos Landlord Arrested For Defiling Tenant's 5 Sons (Photo)
- Bus Recovered After Plunging Into River; Passengers Missing, Some Rescued Unconscious
- Why We Complained About Peter Obi As Atiku's Vice President
- Jobless Man Nabbed For Allegedly Killing Brother Over Mother's Property
- Nude Bath Video of Osun Lawmaker: Update From The Court
- Woman Steals Her Family Friend's Children... she's on the run
- We won’t accept less than N30,000 minimum wage - Labour
- Politician Accuses Policeman Of Shooting, Breaking His Leg
- APC & Police Colluding To Scuttle My Election Petition – Senator Adeleke