The Lagos Chamber of Commerce and Industry has called for a ban on the exportation of woods, saying that rather than raw wood, furniture should instead be exported.
The President, LCCI, Mr. Babatunde Ruwase, made the call in Lagos on Wednesday during a media briefing on the state of the economy.
Ruwase observed that the Nigerian environment was suffering from serious degradation arising from pollution, deforestation and climate change in various parts of the country.
He noted that the negative effects of the degradation had already started manifesting in the form of desertification and water pollution, thereby adversely affecting the livelihood of Nigerians in many parts of the country.
He stated, “The herders’ crises, the restiveness in the Niger Delta and the Boko Haram phenomenon in the North-East are partly a consequence of the damage to the environment.
“In the light of these, we call for a ban on the exportation of woods from Nigeria. The present level of deforestation in the country is intolerable. It is better to encourage the exportation of furniture than the exportation of woods.
“Value addition has a more beneficial impact on the economy than primary product export.”
Speaking further, the LCCI president touched on issues bordering on the fate of local engineers in the construction sector, noting that patronage for them was very low.
He also lamented the fact that 90 per cent of the Nigerian shipping sector was dominated by foreigners and sought government’s intervention to address the imbalance.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from PUNCH.
Contact: [email protected]
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- APC is funding Ekiti election with Abacha loots – PDP declares
- Ekiti July 14: Jonathan uses own experience to warn Buhari against using federal might
- Police parade soldier, 14 others for armed robbery
- Oil prices slump as OPEC, Russia consider output boost
- Musa Asabe: Why Family told CAN to stay away from funeral arrangement
- What you must do to keep kids with asthma out of hospital
- UCL Final: 5 signs showing Liverpool to win
- Klopp plan to distort Madrid’s plan
- UCF Final: You won’t believe Man United Legends prayer
- Woman attacks chief magistrate inside court
- Messi makes UCL team despite his absence in the final
- Ronaldo or Salah: You won’t believe Ramos’ choice
- Jubilations as Edo PDP chieftains return home from detention
- Kwara sports commissioner gives players hope
- Simba delegation storms Nigeria with 28 players
- AIPS President arrives PH to witness foundation-laying of Rivers Football Academy
- Edo FA Aiteo Cup climaxes Saturday
- Judicial Council official testifies against dollar-rich judge
- Shehu Sani, Others Set To Dump APC
- Buhari Should Mind The Way He Use Power, I Was There Before – Jonathan
- Actress Omoge Campus & I Were Separated For 7 Years Before She Died, Not Divorced – Husband
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Things To Do Before Selling Your Phone
- Soldier Appreciates God For His Life After Serving 4 Years Fighting Boko Haram
- My Wife Never Asked What I Had To Offer Before She Said 'Yes' - Comic Actor Saka
- REVEALED: Senators, Reps Bribed With N17bn To Pass Budget — Okonjo-Iweala
- Cholera outbreak: Yobe records 223 cases at Mubi Hospital
- Fidelity Bank eyes tier 1 status, unveils 4-year strategic plan
- Aviation sector has improved under Buhari – Unions
- MTN introduces 17-digit recharge PIN
- Best Mediterranean Diet For Weight Loss & Heart Health
- UBA lifts restriction on cash withdrawals abroad, Naira cards
- Grandmother ‘sentenced to death’ for drug trafficking
- Investors shun Banks over rising NPLs
- NSE index dips as bear continues to weigh on stocks
- Naira loses steam, remains stagnant at parallel market
- NBC compounds Okorocha’s woes, shuts down Reach FM
- Obaseki stalls bail condition for PDP leader – Nehikhare
- Ambode receives Leadership Award
- I don’t want this player against Liverpool, Ronaldo tells Zidane