– Nigerians begin Ramadan on Thursday, May 17, as Sultan of Sokoto announces its commencement
– The Sultan confirmed sighting the moon by Islamic elders
The Muslim fasting month of Ramadan will start on Thursday, May 17, following the declaration of moon-sighting by Sultan of Sokoto, Alhaji Muhammad Sa’ad Abubakar III, President-General, Nigeria Supreme Council for Islamic Affairs.
NAIJ.com gathered that the Sultan on Wednesday, May 16, announced the citing of the new crescent in Sokoto in a broadcast, adding that Islamic elders confirmed sighting the moon.
He said the new moon was sighted in various places across the country that included Sokoto, Niger, Yobe, Port Harcourt, Borno, Gombe, Jigawa and other areas.
Ramadan being one of the basic institutions or five pillars of Islam is the Islamic holy month of fasting.
It is the ninth month on the Islamic calendar, which is based on a lunar cycle. Ramadan begins and ends with the official sighting of the new moon.
PAY ATTENTION: Read the news on Nigeria’s #1 news app
The new moon of Ramadan was not spotted on Tuesday evening and Wednesday will mark the last day of the Islamic month of Shaaban, SPA said, citing religious authorities in the kingdom.
The beginning and end of Islamic months are determined by the sighting of the new moon. Egypt’s Mufti, the country’s top religious authority, said in a televised speech that the holy month will start on Thursday in the most populous Arab country.
How Ramadan is affecting prices of fruits in the market on NAIJ.com TV.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- We’ve no objection to Access Bank, Diamond Bank merger – CBN
- NASS leadership directs Police, SSS to secure complex for budget presentation
- Tinubu taunts Agbaje ahead of 2019 elections
- Oil companies still owing FG over $1bn in taxes – Obono-Obla
- Qatar unveils 2022 World Cup final stadium design
- Man Utd hand Smalling new contract
- Messi sets new Barcelona record in scintillating Levante performance
- Hazard inspires Chelsea victory
- Ramos: There is no margin for error
- NBS boss Yemi Kale denies Presidency claim that he admitted FG created 12m Jobs
- 3 Ladies Disgraced After Being Caught Stealing
- Gallant Nigerian Soldier Celebrate Birthday In Battlefield
- ASUU Storms Out Of Meeting With FG, Strike Continue
- Ambode Openly Endorse Sanwo-Olu, Hamzat For Lagos
- Dancing Senator Tenders Results Of Osun Election
- Seriously? $1trillion Oil Money Yet To Be Recovered By Govt.
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Police Officer Who Shot A Good Man Finally Arrested
- You All Must Make Sure PDP Don't Win 2019 - Tinubu Charges Lagos APC Leaders
- NYSC Member Who's A Yahoo Boy Nabbed Over Big Fraud
- Buhari Is Short Of Ideas, No Economist In His Cabinet... I Will Fix The Economy - Atiku
- Man Impregnates 12yrs Old Girl In Lagos, Begs For Settlement
- I Won't Rig 2019 Polls The Way They Rigged Me Out In The Past - President Buhari
- Police detain Deji Adeyanju for murder four years after acquittal
- I'm Not Responsible For Your Failure - Jonathan Replies Buhari
- Shock As Woman Who Killed Her Daughter Is Found Not Guilty Of Murder... and here's why
- Why I Parted Ways With Tinubu - Jimi Agbaje
- Female Corper Trends As She Use 'Terrible' English To Report A Crime (Photos)
- Female Robbers Exchange Gun Fire With Nigeria Police
- Sex-for-mark: Disgraced OAU lecturer pleads guilty in court
- Messi sets new Barcelona record
- 5,000 APC members defects to PDP in Ondo
- I will emerge next Governor of Ogun State – Akinlade
- See The Cake President Buhari Celebrated His Birthday With
- Diamond Bank Confirms Merger With Access Bank
- Young Abuja Judge Whose Wife Is Pregnant Slumps, Dies
- Kwankwaso Opens Up On Alleged Plan To Dump PDP For APC
- 'Yahoo Boy' Runs Mad While Trying To Withdraw Cash In Delta (Photos)
- Sarri swoops to sign Dortmund star Pulisic
- NSF 2018: Odunlade visits Osun Camp in Abuja, lauds Athletes, Officials