– Nigerians begin Ramadan on Thursday, May 17, as Sultan of Sokoto announces its commencement
– The Sultan confirmed sighting the moon by Islamic elders
The Muslim fasting month of Ramadan will start on Thursday, May 17, following the declaration of moon-sighting by Sultan of Sokoto, Alhaji Muhammad Sa’ad Abubakar III, President-General, Nigeria Supreme Council for Islamic Affairs.
NAIJ.com gathered that the Sultan on Wednesday, May 16, announced the citing of the new crescent in Sokoto in a broadcast, adding that Islamic elders confirmed sighting the moon.
He said the new moon was sighted in various places across the country that included Sokoto, Niger, Yobe, Port Harcourt, Borno, Gombe, Jigawa and other areas.
Ramadan being one of the basic institutions or five pillars of Islam is the Islamic holy month of fasting.
It is the ninth month on the Islamic calendar, which is based on a lunar cycle. Ramadan begins and ends with the official sighting of the new moon.
PAY ATTENTION: Read the news on Nigeria’s #1 news app
The new moon of Ramadan was not spotted on Tuesday evening and Wednesday will mark the last day of the Islamic month of Shaaban, SPA said, citing religious authorities in the kingdom.
The beginning and end of Islamic months are determined by the sighting of the new moon. Egypt’s Mufti, the country’s top religious authority, said in a televised speech that the holy month will start on Thursday in the most populous Arab country.
How Ramadan is affecting prices of fruits in the market on NAIJ.com TV.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- "I'm Still In APC" - Governor Ortom says after meeting Oshiomhole
- Woman Finds Rat Trapped In Her Shop With Ring Round Its Neck
- Saraki "Bows" As He Meets Buhari, Osinbajo, APC Governors
- Rowdy Session In Senate Over 'Lopsided Appointments' By Buhari
- "I Want To Go Back To Prison To Rest" – Thief Nabbed In Lagos
- Agency In Abuja "Spent" Over N5bn On Fuel, DSTV Subscription
- Ekiti Governor-Elect Fayemi Visits President Buhari In Aso Rock
- Buhari Appoints Ex-CBN Deputy Governor, Tunde Lemo, As FERMA Chairman
- Woman Who Just Got Married Killed In Katsina Flood, Body Found In Niger Republic
- Dino Melaye Ignores Threats, Commissions Projects In Kogi (Pics)
- We Fear For 2019: Ekiti Election Was For The Highest Bidder, says Anti-Corruption Group
- How Robber Charmed SARS Operatives To Escape From Custody - Robber's Girlfriend
- British Man Plots To Kill Female Prime Minister (Pics & Details)
- Tanker Loaded With Petrol Falls & Spills Content In Lagos; Apapa Residents Raise Alarm
- Finally, FG unveils name, logo of new national carrier
- STRANGE! Female Student Becomes 'Possessed' During Lecture, Loses Consciousness
- All PDP Presidential Aspirants Meet Gov. Tambuwal In Sokoto
- APC crisis: 9 Governors, 31 Senators, 54 Reps, behind R-APC to unseat Buhari
- Another letter: OBJ attacks Buhari again
- Bride drowned in Katisna flood found in Niger Republic
- APC Replies PDP: We Dare You To Go To Court With Your Facts
- 2019: Saraki Meets 4 Governors, Top Politicians; To Dump APC?
- Married Woman Dies After Surgery To Increase Her Buttocks, Doctor On The Run
- Police Dismiss Inspector For Giving Out Information...
- Police Helicopter Threatening My Life - Fayose
- "This Is My First Time" - Kidnapper Begs, Reveals How Much He Got
- See The All New 2019 Honda Pilot (Photos)
- Actor Kenneth Okonkwo Declares To Contest For Governor In Enugu Under APC
- Most Wanted Armed Robber 'Agbara' Shot Dead By Police
- APC crisis: Secondus woes Gemade, Saraki, Tambuwal, Ortom, Ahmed
- Yummy Bread and Egg Recipe To Try Out
- NYSC Announces Date For Batch B, Stream 1 Orientation
- How Abuja Airport Road Has Sent Many People To Their Graves
- Dino Melaye Reacts To The Burning Down Of His School Projects By Hoodlums In Kogi
- Obasanjo Hits Buhari; Says The Govt. Is Incompetent, Confused
- Twin Brothers Die In Accident After Visiting Mother
- "We Now Have Facts On How Ekiti Election Was Rigged" – PDP
- IGP Idris Must End Killing Of Policemen Now – House of Reps
- Top Officials In Trouble As FG Uncovers N62.5bn Fraud In NSITF
- Senate Probes Kachikwu Over Alleged Oil & Gas "Deals"