BY Ishola Balogun
The Sultan of Sokoto and President-General, Nigerian Supreme Council for Islamic Affairs (NSCIA), Alhaji Muhammad Sa’ad Abubakar III, has declared that the new moon of was spotted marking the beginining of Ramadan 1439 A.H Thursday May 17th as Ramadan 1st.
The new moon was reportedly sighted Wednesday in some parts of the country including Demoroji in Isa District Sokoto, Bonny in Port Harcourt, Rivers State, Gumel in Gombe, Buji, Maiduguri in Borno State, Zamfara State, Bauchi State, Damaturu in Yobe, Minna in Niger State and Dutse in Jigawa State.
Following the development, Sultan Abubakar directed Muslims in the country to commence the Ramadan fasting which is one of the five pillars of Islam.
This is in line with Saudi Arabia’s declaration yesterday and other parts of the world that Ramadan begins on Thursday. The beginning and end of Islamic months are determined by the sighting of the new moon.
Addressing a press conference of print, broadcasting and online journalists at the Sultan’s Palace at about 8.15pm on Wednesday, the Sultan said the new crescent signifying the beginning of the Ramadan fast was sighted in some parts of the including Demoroji in Isa District Sokoto, Bonny in Port Harcourt, Rivers State, Gumel in Gombe, Buji, Maiduguri in Borno State, Zamfara State, Bauchi State, Damaturu in Yobe, Minna in Niger State and Dutse in Jigawa State.
“Reliable reports of moon-sighting were received from Muslim leaders from across the country which were duly verified and the areas of sighting including Sokoto here, Borno, Zamfara, Bauchi, Rivers, etc.
“Consequently, tomorrow Thursday the 17th day of May 2018 is Ramadan 1, 1439 AH.
“We like to call on our Muslims brothers to devote themselves to the worship of Allah during the month and pray for our leaders in the country. We also urge all Muslims to use this month of Ramadan to dedicate themselves to the teaching of Islam and rededicate themselves to peaceful co-existence in the country,” Sultan said.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Higuain to be among Prem’s top earners
- Man City prepare bid for Rudy, West Ham to continue talks over Maxi Gomez
- Hudson-Odoi to reject £85,000 a week Chelsea deal to move to Bayern
- Barca target De Jong to decide future this week
- Mbappe, Bernardo to Madrid
- Giroud talks about Chelsea switch
- Arsenal fight Monaco over Gelson
- Puel to decide Silva switch, Godin set for inter
- N’Koudou heads to Besiktas
- Madrid eyes youngster Florin
- Obasanjo blasts Buhari again in new letter (full text)
- Jimoh ready to fight whoever says his mother burnt to death
- Tsitsipas knocks out Federer
- 25 Things Obasanjo Said About Buhari, Amina Zakari, Osinbajo
- Mourinho Has turned down three job offers already
- Manny Pacquiao sets up Mayweather rematch
- Obasanjo Hits Buhari: Nigeria Is Back To Abacha Era
- Man dies days after setting himself ablaze because of runaway wife
- Why I missed presidential debate – Buhari
- Jimoh Ibrahim’s mother burnt to death
- Experts chart focus for cyber security in 2019
- CJN Onnoghen Faces Big Challenge As FG Expands Probe
- Oshiomhole Cries Out: Retired Generals Conspiring Against Buhari
- Beautiful Pre-wedding Pics Of Nigerian Captain & Pretty Fiancée
- Senior Lawyers To Tackle FG Over Action On CJN Onnoghen
- Nigerian Lady Goes With Her Mother To Pack Husband's Property After Collapsed Marriage
- Faces Of Alleged Top Yahoo Boys Nabbed With Porsche & Other Expensive Rides
- Nigerian Man Dies In Accident, A Day To His Wife's Burial
- How Customs, Police Officers Released Truck Load of Codein After Receiving Bribe
- Atiku Get To Debate Venue, Didn't See Buhari, Then Walk Away... Challenges Mr President
- Billionaire Jimoh Ibrahim's Mother Burnt To Death In Candle Fire
- Lagos Businessman Said To Have Committed Suicide Over R*pe Saga Is In Coma?
- Buhari, APC Frustrated Over Atiku's Trip To US - Party
- DAILY INSPIRATION FOR POSITIVE LIVING
- Police, Army, in show of force in Lagos
- Atiku challenge Buhari to open debate
- APC, PDP two bad sides of a coin, says Durotoye
- Atiku Arrives Nigeria From US, Received By Supporters (Photos)
- FG plots CJN Onnoghen removal ahead of trial
- APC Jos campaign boils over as Buhari takes back door out