BY Ishola Balogun
The Sultan of Sokoto and President-General, Nigerian Supreme Council for Islamic Affairs (NSCIA), Alhaji Muhammad Sa’ad Abubakar III, has declared that the new moon of was spotted marking the beginining of Ramadan 1439 A.H Thursday May 17th as Ramadan 1st.
The new moon was reportedly sighted Wednesday in some parts of the country including Demoroji in Isa District Sokoto, Bonny in Port Harcourt, Rivers State, Gumel in Gombe, Buji, Maiduguri in Borno State, Zamfara State, Bauchi State, Damaturu in Yobe, Minna in Niger State and Dutse in Jigawa State.
Following the development, Sultan Abubakar directed Muslims in the country to commence the Ramadan fasting which is one of the five pillars of Islam.
This is in line with Saudi Arabia’s declaration yesterday and other parts of the world that Ramadan begins on Thursday. The beginning and end of Islamic months are determined by the sighting of the new moon.
Addressing a press conference of print, broadcasting and online journalists at the Sultan’s Palace at about 8.15pm on Wednesday, the Sultan said the new crescent signifying the beginning of the Ramadan fast was sighted in some parts of the including Demoroji in Isa District Sokoto, Bonny in Port Harcourt, Rivers State, Gumel in Gombe, Buji, Maiduguri in Borno State, Zamfara State, Bauchi State, Damaturu in Yobe, Minna in Niger State and Dutse in Jigawa State.
“Reliable reports of moon-sighting were received from Muslim leaders from across the country which were duly verified and the areas of sighting including Sokoto here, Borno, Zamfara, Bauchi, Rivers, etc.
“Consequently, tomorrow Thursday the 17th day of May 2018 is Ramadan 1, 1439 AH.
“We like to call on our Muslims brothers to devote themselves to the worship of Allah during the month and pray for our leaders in the country. We also urge all Muslims to use this month of Ramadan to dedicate themselves to the teaching of Islam and rededicate themselves to peaceful co-existence in the country,” Sultan said.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Customs intercepts one million bags of toxic rice
- Demolition of Ayefele’s Fresh FM: SERAP chides Gov Ajimobi of executive rascality
- Saraki wants to sabotage 2019 general elections, says Shehu
- 3 Ladies Found Dead In Abuja Hotel Room, Body Parts Removed (Graphic Photos)
- Here's The Housegirl Who Killed Her Madam In Edo
- Senator Adeleke's Certificate Saga: Matters Arising
- Kwankwaso Not Welcome In Kano - Governor Ganduje
- Security Man Steals N2m From School Account
- Nursing Mother, Baby Drown As Lagos Officials Chase Residents
- Nigeria Yet To Recover From Economic Recession – NBS Boss
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- 5 Ways To Know If You Are Dehydrated
- NUJ Reacts To Demolition Of Yinka Ayefele's Radio House
- PDP Writes Saraki To Declare Akpabio's Seat Vacant
- Politician Attacked By Thugs, Left With Broken Head (Photos)
- Saraki, Tambuwal Are Scared Of President Buhari - Tinubu
- Wife Stabs Husband To Death Over 'Another Woman' In Delta
- Saraki Fires Back: Buhari Presidency Lacks Foresight, Too Slow
- Outrage Over Demolition Of Yinka Ayefele’s N800m Radio Station
- Presidency Replies Saraki
- Why Jonathan Was A Better President Than Buhari - Dino Melaye
- Lagos To Shut Down Third Mainland Bridge This Week (Details)
- Giwa didn’t win any election— Jones-Ere
- Jose Mourinho: Man Utd manager says Man City ‘cannot buy class’
- Lionel Messi’s brother sentenced for possessing illegal firearm.
- D’Tigress bury hatchet; focus on World Cup preparation
- Lawmaker calls for NASS budget probe under Saraki
- Doctor convicted of sexual assault of patient gets probation
- Defection: Tambuwal govt in disarray as oath taking scatters administration
- Nigerian top runner hails Lagos Media Marathon
- EFCC opens fresh probe of Saraki
- 2019: PDP at crossroads
- Nigeria envoy wants citizens banned from Saudi Arabia
- Nigeria’s economy still struggling, says expert
- House deputy Speaker fumes, states position on defection from APC
- Yinka Ayefele’s FM Continues Broadcasting Despite Demolition
- See How A Female Soldier Brutalize Her Househelp In Lagos
- FIFA Ban : Who can save Nigeria from herself ?
- Oyo state government demolishes Yinka Ayefele’s radio station
- FCMB staff abscond with N500m customers’ deposits