BY Ishola Balogun
The Sultan of Sokoto and President-General, Nigerian Supreme Council for Islamic Affairs (NSCIA), Alhaji Muhammad Sa’ad Abubakar III, has declared that the new moon of was spotted marking the beginining of Ramadan 1439 A.H Thursday May 17th as Ramadan 1st.
The new moon was reportedly sighted Wednesday in some parts of the country including Demoroji in Isa District Sokoto, Bonny in Port Harcourt, Rivers State, Gumel in Gombe, Buji, Maiduguri in Borno State, Zamfara State, Bauchi State, Damaturu in Yobe, Minna in Niger State and Dutse in Jigawa State.
Following the development, Sultan Abubakar directed Muslims in the country to commence the Ramadan fasting which is one of the five pillars of Islam.
This is in line with Saudi Arabia’s declaration yesterday and other parts of the world that Ramadan begins on Thursday. The beginning and end of Islamic months are determined by the sighting of the new moon.
Addressing a press conference of print, broadcasting and online journalists at the Sultan’s Palace at about 8.15pm on Wednesday, the Sultan said the new crescent signifying the beginning of the Ramadan fast was sighted in some parts of the including Demoroji in Isa District Sokoto, Bonny in Port Harcourt, Rivers State, Gumel in Gombe, Buji, Maiduguri in Borno State, Zamfara State, Bauchi State, Damaturu in Yobe, Minna in Niger State and Dutse in Jigawa State.
“Reliable reports of moon-sighting were received from Muslim leaders from across the country which were duly verified and the areas of sighting including Sokoto here, Borno, Zamfara, Bauchi, Rivers, etc.
“Consequently, tomorrow Thursday the 17th day of May 2018 is Ramadan 1, 1439 AH.
“We like to call on our Muslims brothers to devote themselves to the worship of Allah during the month and pray for our leaders in the country. We also urge all Muslims to use this month of Ramadan to dedicate themselves to the teaching of Islam and rededicate themselves to peaceful co-existence in the country,” Sultan said.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- NLO will use Division 3 Playoff to correct past errors – Ogunnowo
- NBBF to refresh referees
- What Ighalo decided before Libya match
- Juve kicked me out to sign CR7— Higuain
- Wembley Stadium up for grabs
- This, among others can cause bed-wetting in adults
- Lawmakers tackles Ambode over Cleaner Lagos Initiative
- Financial infractions: NHIS Board suspends Yusuf indefinitely
- Nigeria’s foreign reserves on steady decline
- Man Utd won’t win title with Lukaku
- Chelsea determined not to let Hazard join Real
- Akpabio tackles Saraki
- Police, robbers in gun battle, 2 dead
- Bride Who Looked Sad On Wedding Day, Goes On Honeymoon, Kisses Hubby Happily
- Senior Police Officers: 3 AIGs promoted to DIGs, 4 CPs to AIGs
- Drunk Nigerian Governor’s Son Crushes 6 Persons In Ghastly Motor Accident (Photos)
- IG of Police Can Be Jailed for Seizing Dino Melaye's Passport?
- 3 Story Building Collapses In Anambra, 11 Trapped (Photos)
- Skye Bank’s fall: The Inside story
- Can Atiku revives Nigeria’s struggling economy
- Missing General: Update On The Army's Actions
- Pretty Lady Goes Missing Just One Week To Her Wedding
- Ooni Of Ife Celebrates His 44th Birthday In Style (Photos)
- MUSON to host 22nd Music Festival
- Spain falls, Eagles Soar: Ighalo shares fate with Sterling
- Alexx Ekubo, IK Ogbonna collaborate with other celebs on a PVC awareness program
- Mafikizolo features Wizkid, Yemi Alade
- Chelsea vs Manchester United: What Sarri must know about Mourinho before match day
- Why 2 EPL players will never forgive Sergio Ramos
- What every woman must know about their bra
- Dining, managing your High Blood Pressure: drinks, foods to shun
- Proper treatment for mouth odour
- 7 ways of keeping a healthy erection
- ‘Cultist’ Threatens To ‘Kill’ Lagos DPO
- Court Stops APC From Sending Delta Cndidates’ List To INEC
- "My Brother Was Tortured By Lagos Police To Coma"
- See Properties EFCC Said They Traced To Fayose; to seek order for total forfeiture
- Lady Shares Her Robbery Experience In Lagos Traffic (Photos)
- "We Won't Accept It" - Labour reacts to "No Work, No Pay"
- Djinee recovers from serious auto crash