The Delta House of Assembly on Wednesday passed the State Office of the Public Defender Bill.
The passage of the bill in Asaba during plenary followed a motion by the Majority Leader, Mr Tim Owhefere and seconded by Mrs Erhiatake Ibori-Suenu, representing Ethiope West constituency in the Assembly.
At the committee of the whole chaired by the Speaker of the Assembly, Chief Sheriff Oborevwori, the report of the House Committee on Rules, Business, Legal and Judicial matters on the bill was considered clause by clause and section by section.
The speaker, while reporting progress made by the committee of the whole, said the various clauses were amended following motions by some members and thanked them for their contributions.
Consequently, the majority leader moved a motion for the third reading and the passage of the bill.
The bill intended to provide legal representation for indigent persons through the office of the public defender when created.
Also at plenary on Wednesday, the Delta state Public Private Property Protection Bill passed the second reading.
Presenting the bill for second reading, Owhefere said that it sought to prohibit and abolish unwarranted harassment of property developers in the state under the disguise of collecting development levy popularly known as “deve’’.
He said that the tradition of collecting “deve’’ by youths had continued in various communities, saying that it has the tendency of driving away potential investors from the state.
Owhefere noted that section 3 Sub Section 1 of the proposed law prohibits any forceful entry into any property with the view of denying the owner of the ownership of such property, and attracts seven years jail term with an option of N500,000 as fine.
He said that it has become so embarrassing to the extent that youths harass property developers from the point of purchase of land to the different stages of construction demanding various sums of money.
Owhefere said the proposed law when passed would help checkmate such illegal levies.
He said the bill aims at enhancing development of the state without any form of harassment of developers.
Supporting the bill, the Chief Whip of the Assembly, Mrs Pat Ajudua said it was people oriented and would help to fast-track development in the state.
Ajudua also said that the bill when passed would help to create an atmosphere of peace.
Speaking against the bill, the member representing Ughelli constituency, Mr Reuben Izeze noted that it violated all known lawmaking precedence in the assembly.
He said that the assembly already has a similar bill with the same content before it.
Consequently, the speaker set up an eight-man ad hoc committee to analyse and harmonise the two other bills, which were already before the assembly.
Members of the ad hoc committee are: Mrs Pat Ajudua as chairman, Mr Johnson Erijo, Mr Oboro Preyor, Mrs Orezi Esiovo, Mr Anthony Elekeokwuri and Mr Peter Uviejitobor as members.
The committee has one week to report back to the assembly.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- UBA lifts restriction on cash withdrawals abroad, Naira cards
- Grandmother ‘sentenced to death’ for drug trafficking
- Investors shun Banks over rising NPLs
- NSE index dips as bear continues to weigh on stocks
- Naira loses steam, remains stagnant at parallel market
- NBC compounds Okorocha’s woes, shuts down Reach FM
- Obaseki stalls bail condition for PDP leader – Nehikhare
- Ambode receives Leadership Award
- I don’t want this player against Liverpool, Ronaldo tells Zidane
- Role-for-sex stories: From Richard Akindele, Bill Cosby to Morgan Freeman
- Regnar, Aiden,Liam: Fani-Kayode’s latest triplets
- Movie producer accused of rape, sex abuse surrenders to Police
- Kebbi Governor, Bagudu, leads APC 77-member campaign squad for Ekiti governorship election
- No PVC, No Sex: Women to demand ‘gate-fee’ before succumbing to their husbands in bed
- How Peter Obi touched my heart
- Ronaldinho opens up on planned marriage to 2 girls same day in August
- What Klopp’s Liverpool have in common with Fergie’s United
- Behold, new coaches across clubs
- Liverpool Transfer: Shaming Suarez, Coutinho
- What’s new about Pochettino
- Aubameyang’s anti-Wenger statement
- Bad news for Real Madrid
- Salah dominates Liverpool vs Real Madrid combined XI
- Trouble in Liverpool’s camp
- SARS Officer Killed 10 Days After His Wedding (Photos)
- How To Kill SIN In Your Life To Avoid Destruction
- FACTS: Only $8b Released Between Obasanjo & Buhari for Power, there's no $16b
- Twin Brothers, Naval Officer Arrested For Robbery, R*ping
- Billionaire Businesswoman Alakija: My staff defrauded me millions
- FG Has Not Awarded Contract For 2nd Niger Bridge?
- I'm Privileged To Sleep In The Same Prison Bed Used By Obasanjo - Senator Jang
- Here Are Foods That Can Make You Age Faster
- 'Herdsmen' Slaughter Two People Returning From Catholic Priests' Burial?
- Peace Corps Bill Fails As House Of Reps Refuse To Veto Buhari
- Buhari Drops Okiro From Police Service Commission; Replaced By Ex-IGP Smith
- Father in prison for 'defiling' 4 daughters; says "I was manipulated'
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Handball Forum passes vote of confidence on Federation
- Nigerian fans entertained at UEFA game with S.Eagles
- Budget Padding: Finally, court judgement favours Hon. Jibrin