The Delta House of Assembly on Wednesday passed the State Office of the Public Defender Bill.
The passage of the bill in Asaba during plenary followed a motion by the Majority Leader, Mr Tim Owhefere and seconded by Mrs Erhiatake Ibori-Suenu, representing Ethiope West constituency in the Assembly.
At the committee of the whole chaired by the Speaker of the Assembly, Chief Sheriff Oborevwori, the report of the House Committee on Rules, Business, Legal and Judicial matters on the bill was considered clause by clause and section by section.
The speaker, while reporting progress made by the committee of the whole, said the various clauses were amended following motions by some members and thanked them for their contributions.
Consequently, the majority leader moved a motion for the third reading and the passage of the bill.
The bill intended to provide legal representation for indigent persons through the office of the public defender when created.
Also at plenary on Wednesday, the Delta state Public Private Property Protection Bill passed the second reading.
Presenting the bill for second reading, Owhefere said that it sought to prohibit and abolish unwarranted harassment of property developers in the state under the disguise of collecting development levy popularly known as “deve’’.
He said that the tradition of collecting “deve’’ by youths had continued in various communities, saying that it has the tendency of driving away potential investors from the state.
Owhefere noted that section 3 Sub Section 1 of the proposed law prohibits any forceful entry into any property with the view of denying the owner of the ownership of such property, and attracts seven years jail term with an option of N500,000 as fine.
He said that it has become so embarrassing to the extent that youths harass property developers from the point of purchase of land to the different stages of construction demanding various sums of money.
Owhefere said the proposed law when passed would help checkmate such illegal levies.
He said the bill aims at enhancing development of the state without any form of harassment of developers.
Supporting the bill, the Chief Whip of the Assembly, Mrs Pat Ajudua said it was people oriented and would help to fast-track development in the state.
Ajudua also said that the bill when passed would help to create an atmosphere of peace.
Speaking against the bill, the member representing Ughelli constituency, Mr Reuben Izeze noted that it violated all known lawmaking precedence in the assembly.
He said that the assembly already has a similar bill with the same content before it.
Consequently, the speaker set up an eight-man ad hoc committee to analyse and harmonise the two other bills, which were already before the assembly.
Members of the ad hoc committee are: Mrs Pat Ajudua as chairman, Mr Johnson Erijo, Mr Oboro Preyor, Mrs Orezi Esiovo, Mr Anthony Elekeokwuri and Mr Peter Uviejitobor as members.
The committee has one week to report back to the assembly.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- NERC to put limits on estimated billings
- Buhari explains why he bans 50 high-profile Nigerians
- You’re too arrogant, First Lady tells President
- Kalu speaks on his goal for Super Eagles
- Ocean Boys crown Champions Bayelsa Football League
- Leaked Bribe Videos: Impeachment Looms As Kano Assembly Begins Probe Of Governor
- IGP Orders Arrest Of Policemen Over Murder Of Abuja Lady
- Kukah: How I Convinced Obasanjo To End Feud With Atiku
- Shittu Drags APC To Court For Disqualifying Him Over NYSC
- Minister allays fear over Nigeria’s rising debt portfolio
- Travel ban, not political weapon against opposition- Presidency
- Sex & Masturbation: Secret Struggle Of Most Men & Women
- Osun United crash Rovers FC 1-0 at NNL
- Ambode holds press conference to herald 2019 race
- See How Worshipers Held Their Sunday Service After Church Got Submerged By Flood (Photos)
- Photos Of GEJ, His Daughter, Faith, Her Husband & Grandkids
- Ekiti boiling with emotion as Fayose faces EFCC October 15
- Amuwo Odofin constituents cry out over alleged stolen mandate, task Tinubu
- INEC Under Pressure To Return "Buhari's Sister" Amina Zakari To Head Operations?
- Pretty Lady, Anita Shot Dead In Front Of Her House In Abuja
- Meet The Man Behind Gov Ganduje's Leaked $5m Bribery Clip
- Buhari’ll Win South-East Despite Obi’s Nomination – Okorocha's Son-in-Law
- Leaked Video Of Governor 'Receiving Bribe': Kano Govt. Reacts
- Suspected Robber Arrested 5 Days After Release From Prison
- Falana, Others To Buhari: Withdraw That Travel Ban Order
- We'll Support PDP in 2019 Because of Peter Obi - Ndigbo Youths assure Atiku
- Bride Looking Unhappy At Her Wedding
- Coach Paul Aigbogu denies link to Akwa United job
- Sarri’s Touchline Chat with Klopp revealed
- Atiku and Peter Obi at Obi Of Onitsha's Palace
- Fayose Ends Tenure In Tears, Heads To Abuja To Face EFCC
- I Stole Because Of My Girlfriend's Upkeep — Jobless Youth
- OMG! This Beautiful Lady May Be Killed Today By Boko Haram
- Buhari Excluded Omisore, Obanikoro From Travel Ban List?
- Mother Breaks Her Son’s Head Over N50 Meal In Lagos (Pics)
- Accept Peter Obi as Atiku’s VP, Jonathan tells Igbo PDP leaders
- Go To Court If You Like - Presidency tells critics of Travel Ban
- Truck Driver Loses Control, Crushes Married Woman To Death
- The Rise Of Peter Obi
- Okonjo-Iweala Debunks Reports Of Endorsing Buhari