Olalekan Adetayo, Abuja
The Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, on Wednesday, said the Federal Government was yet to resolve the issue of six out of the 111 girls abducted from Government Girls’ Science and Technical College, Dapchi, Yobe State on February 19.
He said while the insurgents responsible for the abduction had returned 105 girls, the government has been asking them daily what happened to five girls.
He said the government had also been asking what is delaying the release of Leah Sharibu who was reported to have been denied freedom because of her refusal to deny her faith.
Mohammed gave the clarification while answering questions from State House correspondents at the end of the weekly meeting of the Federal Executive Council at the Presidential Villa, Abuja.
Although five of the girls were reported to have died in captivity, the minister said the government needed to be informed of their fate formally.
He, however, admitted that the process of negotiation with insurgents is tortuous and complicated.
This notwithstanding, the minister said the government was not leaving Sharibu to her fate.
READ ALSO: Leah Sharibu clocks 15, BBOG demands update on rescue
He said, “I think Mr. President actually addressed that issue in Washington and my position is always the same: that we are yet to resolve the issue of six girls.
“111 girls were kidnapped, 105 were returned and we are busy on daily basis asking and negotiating and asking what happened to those five officially at least and then what is delaying the young girl, Leah Sharibu.
“Negotiations with insurgents are quite tortuous and complicated at times but I can assure you we are not leaving her to her fate and those who should are daily busy working on her release.”
Asked what is torturous about the negotiations since the terrorists released the 111 girls in broad daylight, the minister said, “Anybody who negotiates with insurgents and terrorists in the world will know that is not a direct face-to-face negotiation like we are doing now.”
The terrorists had since February 19 kept Sharibu when she was abducted alongside her schoolmates.
Sharibu, whose 15th birthday was marked by her family on Monday, was not released along with her mates one month after the kidnapping because she reportedly rejected the demand of her abductors to denounce her faith and become a Muslim.
READ ALSO: Ebola vaccine arrives in DR Congo amid outbreak
The Boko Haram insurgents who made a big show of returning the abducted girls to Dapchi in a convoy of vehicles, and even addressed crowds in the town, without a confrontation from security forces, have kept mute about her.
Sharibu’s continued captivity has been eliciting concern from Nigerians who demand more positive action from government to ensure her release, along with abducted Chibok schoolgirls.
The issue also came up during talks between President Muhammadu Buhari and President Donald Trump, in Washington earlier this month.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Usain Bolt, Valletta contract goes south
- Injured trio return to training for Liverpool
- Brazil to inject $1.1bn into Nigeria’s agriculture, says envoy
- Musa skips his game to sort out family matter
- Billikisu is NWPL referee of the week
- Uber announces new safety toolkit app for operators
- UBA posts all-time high gross earnings for Q3
- FG proposes N8.6trn for 2019, plans tighter fiscal plan
- Nollywood actor, Lawyer task Federal government on qualitative education
- Ekiti: Fayose tackles Fayemi, DMO over debt profile
- Volunteer Medical Corps ready for 2018 conference
- 95% of workers in mega firms think their cybersecurity culture is poor — report
- FG mandates NCC to ensure even distribution of broadband in Nigeria
- Nigeria to cut down on borrowing spree
- Suspended coach back for NFF/CBN competition
- Girl Who Was R*ped By Lecturer & His Son Has Died (Photos)
- Tinubu Buys Part Of Intels Shares From Atiku?
- See Bishop Oyedepo's Mandate Estate (Photos)
- Did You Know? Eating Too Much Fruits Causes Diabetes
- Governor Ganduje In Trouble As Kano Assembly Begins Action
- First Photos of Ooni Of Ife With His Beautiful Bride in His Palace
- Fayose's Lawyer Reveals What He's Doing To Get Him Out
- Buhari Hosts Kannywood Actors In Aso Rock (Photos)
- PHOTOS: Nnamdi Kanu Spotted In Jerusalem
- APC Defies INEC, Submits Candidates For Zamfara
- Dangerous drug for diabetes, cancer in circulation, says NIA
- Oni of Ife sets for another marriage
- 2019: PDP agenda for Saraki forwarded to INEC
- Presidential race 2019: Re-structuring a condition for supporting any candidate – Aare Ganiyu Adams
- Lagos Assembly scraps Visionscape
- Etebo seals image rights deal with Myron Topclass Sport Outfits
- Police arrest fake lawyer for false information
- NFF President,Governor Bako Lalong to receive football awards in South Africa
- PDP Members Protest Over Osun Election Tribunal
- Fraud: NHIS boss reinstated by Buhari suspended indefinitely
- Sacked Policeman & His Gang Arrested Over Woman’s Murder
- Nigerian Students Made Generator Running On Water (Photos)
- Brilliant Student Going Home After Final Exams Dies In Crash
- Ooni Of Ife Unveils His New Beautiful Queen (Photos)
- Polaris Bank battles for survival