Emilia Clarke says she has "always been paid the same" as her male Game of Thrones co-stars, but that equal pay still remains "rife in the industry" if you dig beneath the surface.
In an interview with Variety at the Cannes Film Festival, to promote the latest prequel to the Star Wars franchise, the American actress speaks openly about equality in the entertainment world, a campaign led in large part by the Time's Up movement.
In 2015, actress Jennifer Lawrence wrote an essay entitled "Why Do I Make Less Than My Male Co‑Stars?" which was published in Lenny, the feminist newsletter produced by Lena Dunham.
But, as the Variety journalist rightly recalls, the subject was taken far less seriously at that time.
Today, a small revolution is taking place, and Clarke finds the recent revelations on the pay gap between men and women for equal work "shocking, actually shocking".
Nonetheless, Emilia Clarke reassures her fans: "On Game of Thrones, I have always been paid the same amount as my male co-stars."
"That was my first job, and I’ve never been discriminated against in terms of pay because I’m a woman."
It must be said that when Game of Thrones began in 2011, most of its starring actors were unknown and had little experience.
Things become more complicated when popularity and actors’ careers come into play. This is when the negotiations begin, and far too often, they are to the disadvantage of the actresses, even when playing the leading role, as was recently the case in The Crown.
The commitment of Game of Thrones producers to preserve equal pay for all these years is to be commended. But Emilia Clarke remains vigilant, especially in her other jobs, where the question is inevitably raised:
"You start to dig deep and see where it is, rife in the industry. So I think it’s mainly in the beginning, about just being aware that, and going ‘Can you just check? Because we have the same experience, so perhaps we should…’ You just start to fight harder for that stuff."
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Drama As Lagos Assembly Claims Ignorance Of Ambode's 2019 Budget
- Rivers APC Case: Supreme Court's Position
- Story Of UNILAG Graduate Turned Suspected Serial R*pist
- Dino Melaye Shares First Picture After Release From Custody
- Faces Of Car-snatching Syndicate Busted By The Police
- Suspected Ritualist Lynched For Allegedly Eating Faeces
- Obasanjo Trends Over Letter To Buhari... Tinubu, Others Hit Him
- Two Men Break Into Redeemed Church, Steal Church Property
- APC Leaders Are Liars, Reject Them - Atiku
- Nigerian Footballer Sodje & Brothers Jailed In UK For Fraud
- Dino Melaye Detained By Police As They File Fresh Charges
- How I Gave Fayose $5m Cash From Security Fund - Obanikoro
- Just Imagine! This Man Spent 45 Years Of His Life In Prison For A Crime He Didn't Commit
- DAILY INSPIRATION FOR POSITIVE LIVING
- Tradermoni: Aso Rock fires back at Obasanjo
- Cardiff captain, 45 minutes away from death
- Court Stops Buhari, AGF From Removing CJN Onnoghen
- OMG! Man 'Beats Wife To Death' Just 2 Weeks After Giving Birth In Rivers State
- New IGP Adamu Disbands FSARS, Takes More Actions
- Lagos lawmakers snub Ambode over budget presentation
- Gattuso furious with Higuain
- Industrial court reinforces restraining order against CCT
- My takeaways from Atiku’s trip to US
- Emery: Its too late to reverse Ramsey decision
- Court restricts EFCC, DSS, Police from arresting Fani-kayode and Odumakin
- Rabiot ready to sue PSG amidst ‘indefinite bench role
- Customs Command exceeds target, generates N23.5bn in 2018
- Rashford future so bright, says England manager
- Ibrahimovic: I will play as long as I can
- Banks biggest industry for corruption in Nigeria, says Ogala
- HEDA drags Fashola to EFCC over alleged diversion of $600mn Mambilla fund
- US warns of Boko Haram attack during 2019 elections
- Sen. Shehu Sani scolds El-Rufai
- 2019: SERAP advocates scrapping of security votes, immunity
- Imo 2019: Activist raises alarm over alleged plot to rig Governorship election
- Dangote assures Nigerians of timely completion of refinery
- Lagos approves new guidelines for building of petrol stations
- Breaking: IGP disbands Federal SARS
- Obanikoro testifies against Fayose over money laundering
- Buhari’s TraderMoni initiative idiotic, says Obasanjo