Emilia Clarke says she has "always been paid the same" as her male Game of Thrones co-stars, but that equal pay still remains "rife in the industry" if you dig beneath the surface.
In an interview with Variety at the Cannes Film Festival, to promote the latest prequel to the Star Wars franchise, the American actress speaks openly about equality in the entertainment world, a campaign led in large part by the Time's Up movement.
In 2015, actress Jennifer Lawrence wrote an essay entitled "Why Do I Make Less Than My Male Co‑Stars?" which was published in Lenny, the feminist newsletter produced by Lena Dunham.
But, as the Variety journalist rightly recalls, the subject was taken far less seriously at that time.
Today, a small revolution is taking place, and Clarke finds the recent revelations on the pay gap between men and women for equal work "shocking, actually shocking".
Nonetheless, Emilia Clarke reassures her fans: "On Game of Thrones, I have always been paid the same amount as my male co-stars."
"That was my first job, and I’ve never been discriminated against in terms of pay because I’m a woman."
It must be said that when Game of Thrones began in 2011, most of its starring actors were unknown and had little experience.
Things become more complicated when popularity and actors’ careers come into play. This is when the negotiations begin, and far too often, they are to the disadvantage of the actresses, even when playing the leading role, as was recently the case in The Crown.
The commitment of Game of Thrones producers to preserve equal pay for all these years is to be commended. But Emilia Clarke remains vigilant, especially in her other jobs, where the question is inevitably raised:
"You start to dig deep and see where it is, rife in the industry. So I think it’s mainly in the beginning, about just being aware that, and going ‘Can you just check? Because we have the same experience, so perhaps we should…’ You just start to fight harder for that stuff."
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- NERC to put limits on estimated billings
- Buhari explains why he bans 50 high-profile Nigerians
- You’re too arrogant, First Lady tells President
- Kalu speaks on his goal for Super Eagles
- Ocean Boys crown Champions Bayelsa Football League
- Leaked Bribe Videos: Impeachment Looms As Kano Assembly Begins Probe Of Governor
- IGP Orders Arrest Of Policemen Over Murder Of Abuja Lady
- Kukah: How I Convinced Obasanjo To End Feud With Atiku
- Shittu Drags APC To Court For Disqualifying Him Over NYSC
- Minister allays fear over Nigeria’s rising debt portfolio
- Travel ban, not political weapon against opposition- Presidency
- Sex & Masturbation: Secret Struggle Of Most Men & Women
- Osun United crash Rovers FC 1-0 at NNL
- Ambode holds press conference to herald 2019 race
- See How Worshipers Held Their Sunday Service After Church Got Submerged By Flood (Photos)
- Photos Of GEJ, His Daughter, Faith, Her Husband & Grandkids
- Ekiti boiling with emotion as Fayose faces EFCC October 15
- Amuwo Odofin constituents cry out over alleged stolen mandate, task Tinubu
- INEC Under Pressure To Return "Buhari's Sister" Amina Zakari To Head Operations?
- Pretty Lady, Anita Shot Dead In Front Of Her House In Abuja
- Meet The Man Behind Gov Ganduje's Leaked $5m Bribery Clip
- Buhari’ll Win South-East Despite Obi’s Nomination – Okorocha's Son-in-Law
- Leaked Video Of Governor 'Receiving Bribe': Kano Govt. Reacts
- Suspected Robber Arrested 5 Days After Release From Prison
- Falana, Others To Buhari: Withdraw That Travel Ban Order
- We'll Support PDP in 2019 Because of Peter Obi - Ndigbo Youths assure Atiku
- Bride Looking Unhappy At Her Wedding
- Coach Paul Aigbogu denies link to Akwa United job
- Sarri’s Touchline Chat with Klopp revealed
- Atiku and Peter Obi at Obi Of Onitsha's Palace
- Fayose Ends Tenure In Tears, Heads To Abuja To Face EFCC
- I Stole Because Of My Girlfriend's Upkeep — Jobless Youth
- OMG! This Beautiful Lady May Be Killed Today By Boko Haram
- Buhari Excluded Omisore, Obanikoro From Travel Ban List?
- Mother Breaks Her Son’s Head Over N50 Meal In Lagos (Pics)
- Accept Peter Obi as Atiku’s VP, Jonathan tells Igbo PDP leaders
- Go To Court If You Like - Presidency tells critics of Travel Ban
- Truck Driver Loses Control, Crushes Married Woman To Death
- The Rise Of Peter Obi
- Okonjo-Iweala Debunks Reports Of Endorsing Buhari