The All Progressives Congress (APC) ward congresses that were conducted on May 5, 2018, across the country were marred by irregularities ranging from total exclusion of candidates to contest for the EXCOs elections, untimely issuance of forms to contestants as well as intimidation and injustice to the extent that it attracted lots of opprobrium by the people across the States.
In Adamawa state for instance, forms were issued out late to certain candidates who were willing to contest for the EXCO at the ward level, some were out rightly denied the opportunity completely; meaning that they would not be allowed to vote for candidate of their choice during the August /September primaries.
The reasons for denying them the right to participate in the process was not stated but it was obvious that the party officials were fulfilling the maxim of some certain authorities at the State level, therefore, throwing confusion in the camp of those that were being side-lined.
It was based on this reason that the aggrieved people raised alarm and it attracted the attention of their representatives at the national level, who helped to build the party at the state level.
The politicians at the national level felt there was no point in destroying what they had sweated to build in just one moment of injustice hence they are calling on well-meaning party supporters to come to the rescue of the party.
At this point, denying party men and women their right to participate in the conduct of the ward congress election portends disaster for the party. These are people who were involved in the dethronement of PDP and enthronement of APC in the state.
Disenfranchising them from a crucial party process like the ward congress is detrimental to the internalisation of democracy which the party needs to survive the turbulent waters of party politics in Nigeria.
The aggrieved people expressed their loss of confidence in the leadership of the party, saying pointedly that the anti-corruption stand of the party was not reflecting on its executives, whom they said were betraying the trust of the leaders of the party.
They felt this development was not healthy for democracy since corruption was not only on financial shoplift but also denying their right to vote was part of it and will spell dome for the party if it is allowed to continue.
All those who were starved of forms and likewise disenfranchised for delegates election were supporters of Senator Abdul’Aziz Murtala Nyako, Senator representing Adamawa Central and Senator Ahmad Abubakar Mo’Allahyidi, Senator representing Adamawa South, as well as Lawal Babachir, Markus Gundiri ,Nuhu Ribadu among others.
Senator Nyako who stood up for the injustice meted out to their supporters by the congress committee chairman Mahmud Musa, described it as inequality displayed at the highest level and which was uncalled for and needed to be tackled.
PAY ATTENTION: Read the news on Nigeria’s #1 news app
Senator Nyako further explained that, this was the kind of unfair treatment done by the previous administration that led the people to vote massively for APC, therefore the party cannot afford to do such at this time.
Secondly, that Murtala Nyako conducted a free and fair primaries to the satisfaction of all without intimidation and molestation in APC which needed to continue and anything short of that would not be acceptable.
While calling on their supporters to remain calm and law abiding ,he said what has happened now being the first congress to be conducted by the party was uncalled for and they never expected such to happen because that was not what they bargained for.
Senator Nyako and co are therefore calling on President Muhammadu Buhari and the party executives to address the injustice meted out to loyal party supporters otherwise the fate of the party hangs in the balance.
A letter has since been submitted to the appropriate level while they await for the reply and action to be taken immediately.
Though they were promised that quick action would be taken, the earlier the action is taken, the better it will be for all so that both parties can move on with their businesses.
The views and opinions expressed here are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NAIJ.com.
Your own opinion articles are welcome at firstname.lastname@example.org— drop an email telling us what you want to write about and why. More details in Naij.com’s step-by-step guide for guest contributors.
We’re ready to trade your news for our money: submit news and photo reports from your area using our Citizen Journalism App.
Contact us if you have any feedback, suggestions, complaints or compliments. We are also available on Twitter.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- APC crisis: 9 Governors, 31 Senators, 54 Reps, behind R-APC to unseat Buhari
- Another letter: OBJ attacks Buhari again
- Bride drowned in Katisna flood found in Niger Republic
- APC Replies PDP: We Dare You To Go To Court With Your Facts
- 2019: Saraki Meets 4 Governors, Top Politicians; To Dump APC?
- Married Woman Dies After Surgery To Increase Her Buttocks, Doctor On The Run
- Police Dismiss Inspector For Giving Out Information...
- Police Helicopter Threatening My Life - Fayose
- "This Is My First Time" - Kidnapper Begs, Reveals How Much He Got
- See The All New 2019 Honda Pilot (Photos)
- Actor Kenneth Okonkwo Declares To Contest For Governor In Enugu Under APC
- Most Wanted Armed Robber 'Agbara' Shot Dead By Police
- APC crisis: Secondus woes Gemade, Saraki, Tambuwal, Ortom, Ahmed
- Yummy Bread and Egg Recipe To Try Out
- NYSC Announces Date For Batch B, Stream 1 Orientation
- How Abuja Airport Road Has Sent Many People To Their Graves
- Dino Melaye Reacts To The Burning Down Of His School Projects By Hoodlums In Kogi
- Obasanjo Hits Buhari; Says The Govt. Is Incompetent, Confused
- Twin Brothers Die In Accident After Visiting Mother
- "We Now Have Facts On How Ekiti Election Was Rigged" – PDP
- IGP Idris Must End Killing Of Policemen Now – House of Reps
- Top Officials In Trouble As FG Uncovers N62.5bn Fraud In NSITF
- Senate Probes Kachikwu Over Alleged Oil & Gas "Deals"
- Police Arrest & Parade Suspected Kidnappers Of Chibokgirls
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Man Drives A Burning SUV From A Fire Scene In Lagos (Photos)
- First Ever Miss Nigeria, Grace Oyelude, Still Looking Graceful At 86
- Woman Walked Out Of This Accident, Husband Appreciates God
- FG Unveils New National Carrier, 'Nigerian Air' In London
- Benue 2019: Ortom battles for survival
- NBC to impose higher sanction on Ekiti Broadcasting Service – official
- Madu , Ekuta others to represent Nigeria Judo Federation at AYG
- Akeredolu to sack doctors
- I quit Sky Sports to focus on coaching career —Henry
- Deputy Governor sentenced to jail
- Banks profitability under siege as Treasury Bills yields fall
- Dalic: I can coach Brazil or Barca but Croatia my favourite
- Buhari orders immediate repatriation of Nigerians stranded In Russia
- We kill them, Messi or No Messi’ – Pogba’s inspirational speech
- Yahoo-Boy Who 'Used His Girlfriend For Money Ritual' Breaks Down In Tears (Photos)