Chapman is a Nigerian drink. All Nigerian Recipes defines it as "an easy Nigerian cocktail drink with a nice blend of fruity flavours". It's one of the most popular drinks in Nigeria, and its origins can be traced back to Ikoyi Club 1938, in Lagos, in the late 60s.
And now, Mike and Garry Robinson are bottling and selling a drink they call 'Ikoyi Chapmans'. Mike and Garry grew up with their parents in Lagos when their parents were stationed here. And even though they attended Warwick School in the UK, Mike and Garry would return to Nigeria during the school holidays to have the drink.
(Photo: The Leamington Courier)
According to their website:
"The Ikoyi Chapmans journey started for Mike and Garry Robinson in 1973 at The Ikoyi Club in Lagos, Nigeria. Their parents were based in West Africa for over 30 years and during school holidays Mike and Garry would go to The Ikoyi Club to play squash, tennis, golf and swim.
After these exertions in the heat and humidity of West Africa, one of the Club barmen would mix the most amazing, refreshing, thirst-quenching drink that was popular with everyone. It had a unique taste like no other drink and to this day they have never tasted anything like it....until now, that is. The Ikoyi Club name for this drink was Chapmans."
Mike and Garry grew up to become professional squash players but they continued to mix and drink Chapman (Chapmans?) in their social gatherings.
(Photo: Ikoyi Chapmans)
According to Mike, for many years their dream has been to produce this drink for everyone to enjoy, but many companies were not interested:
"After leaving school, Garry and I both became professional squash players but it has always been our dream to commercially produce this drink. We’ve always had a dream of bringing it to market. We went to various drinks companies, but many only want an energy drink or a fruit drink. We were taking them a drink that had a unique taste."
But now, a drinks company is on board, and after some experimentation, the first bottles finally came off the production line in April. Ikoyi Chapmans is now being sold in a few bars and cafes around Leamington and Warwick and the brothers are hoping to start selling it in supermarkets soon.
So if you're ever in the UK, you can buy Ikoyi Chapmans
by white people from cafes and (eventually) supermarkets. Does anyone appreciate the appropriation irony?
Tech and politics. Is there even a difference between the two?
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- I’m dumping Enyimba for Katsina United —-Ezenwa
- Difficult match but we came out victorious– Alex Iwobi
- Flying Eagles will approach Junior Mena with all seriousness— Paul Aigbogun
- FIFA & France sign agreement on African Football
- Boko Haram: ICC accuses Nigerian security forces of war crimes
- Arrest of Atiku’s son, tales by mischief makers – EFCC
- 2019: Saraki Urges INEC, security agencies, stakeholders to ensure credible elections
- Nigeria’s infrastructure deficit to hit $878b by 2040 – SEC DG
- I thank Watford family for believing in me—–Isaac Success
- Palace ‘interested in signing Moses with Chelsea for £12m
- 19th NSF: Toriola Oshonaike crashed out of Table tennis mixed double
- I Weep For President Buhari, His Wife Has Cried Out Endlessly - Dele Momodu
- Check Out Emirates' 'Diamond-encrusted' Airplane Going Viral Online (Photos)
- Luiz keen on Chelsea’s stay
- Oil marketers dare FG, shut down depots
- Christianity under siege in China
- Oil marketers suspend strike, gives FG 5-day grace
- Banks spend N555bn in nine months for customers’ relations
- Govenor Amosun in urgent meeting with Buhari
- Access Bank bags CBN’s Award
- 2019 Election: Senate declares public hearing on vote-buying
- AMCON says asset management partners to help recover N740bn
- DMO enlists support of sub-national entities in managing Nigeria’s rising public debt
- Brilliant Nigerian Lady Abisoye Wins CNN Heroes Awards 2018
- Sharing Trader Moni Weeks To Election Is Vote Buying - Dogara
- EFCC Reveals Why They Raided Atiku's Sons Apartment
- Nigeria's GDP Rises To 1.81% In Third Quarter, After Falling From 7% Since 2016
- Offa robbery: Police debunks report on missing stolen money
- 2019: Buhari’s arrests Sowore’s supporters
- 2019: Buhari’s arrests Sowore’s supporters
- Riverplate Clinch Copa Libertadores After Edging Out Boca
- FIFA & France Sign Agreement on African Football
- Tinubu Is My Friend, But I'll Free Lagos From Him - Jimi Agbaje
- Seriously? Human Bones Found Buried in Front of Popular Hotel in Lagos
- See Actor Gideon Okeke Getting His Lips Stitched After Being Brutalized By Policemen In Lagos
- I Was Aspiring To Be Chief Of Staff But God Turned The Table Around - Sanwo-Olu
- Atiku's Sons Apartment Raided By EFCC In Abuja
- Senator kicks against overriding Buhari’s veto
- Buhari constitutes committee on state’s judiciary autonomy
- Woman Brutally Attacked by Robbers on Her Way from Church in Rivers (Photos)