Chapman is a Nigerian drink. All Nigerian Recipes defines it as "an easy Nigerian cocktail drink with a nice blend of fruity flavours". It's one of the most popular drinks in Nigeria, and its origins can be traced back to Ikoyi Club 1938, in Lagos, in the late 60s.
And now, Mike and Garry Robinson are bottling and selling a drink they call 'Ikoyi Chapmans'. Mike and Garry grew up with their parents in Lagos when their parents were stationed here. And even though they attended Warwick School in the UK, Mike and Garry would return to Nigeria during the school holidays to have the drink.
(Photo: The Leamington Courier)
According to their website:
"The Ikoyi Chapmans journey started for Mike and Garry Robinson in 1973 at The Ikoyi Club in Lagos, Nigeria. Their parents were based in West Africa for over 30 years and during school holidays Mike and Garry would go to The Ikoyi Club to play squash, tennis, golf and swim.
After these exertions in the heat and humidity of West Africa, one of the Club barmen would mix the most amazing, refreshing, thirst-quenching drink that was popular with everyone. It had a unique taste like no other drink and to this day they have never tasted anything like it....until now, that is. The Ikoyi Club name for this drink was Chapmans."
Mike and Garry grew up to become professional squash players but they continued to mix and drink Chapman (Chapmans?) in their social gatherings.
(Photo: Ikoyi Chapmans)
According to Mike, for many years their dream has been to produce this drink for everyone to enjoy, but many companies were not interested:
"After leaving school, Garry and I both became professional squash players but it has always been our dream to commercially produce this drink. We’ve always had a dream of bringing it to market. We went to various drinks companies, but many only want an energy drink or a fruit drink. We were taking them a drink that had a unique taste."
But now, a drinks company is on board, and after some experimentation, the first bottles finally came off the production line in April. Ikoyi Chapmans is now being sold in a few bars and cafes around Leamington and Warwick and the brothers are hoping to start selling it in supermarkets soon.
So if you're ever in the UK, you can buy Ikoyi Chapmans
by white people from cafes and (eventually) supermarkets. Does anyone appreciate the appropriation irony?
Tech and politics. Is there even a difference between the two?
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Totti: I tried to get Ronaldo, Ibramovich to Roma
- Inter, Icardi disagrees over renewal salary
- Court jails two over Malabu oil bribery scandal
- Messi’s UCL conquest, Ronaldo still ahead
- Mariano Diaz: Wearing the No. 7 shirt is a great responsibility
- 10 champions League shock that shook the world
- Akwa Ibom reiterates commitment to early completion of airport
- Lescott: David Silva is the best player I have ever played with
- Robertson: Sturridge summer up the spirit in our squad
- N3.48bn fraud: Panel sets to arrest Senator Nwaoboshi
- IMF advises Nigeria to focus on structural reforms
- Group berates MTN over constant abuse of extant laws
- 16 Proven Health Benefits, Uses Of Coconut Oil
- Amaju Pinnick re-elected NFF president
- France, Belgium tops latest FIFA rankings
- Ferdinand: Ronaldo’s tears, so emotional
- Notorious Armed Robber/Cultist Shot Dead In Lagos
- Oshiomhole Settles With Governors; States Can Decide Mode Of Primaries
- Story of 12yrs Old Orphan Left to Care for 4 Kids After The Death of Her Elder Sister
- Lagos 2019: Ambode, Fashola dare Tinubu
- Nigeria, Congo to account for 40% of world’s poorest soon – Report
- Drilling slows in Nigeria but oil production rose
- FG to gather N17bn from sale of 21% stake in Nigeria Security Printing & Minting Coy
- Trump tells OPEC to lower oil prices
- Multiple shooting in Maryland
- So Beautiful! Female Corper & Her Baby Dress In NYSC Outfit For Birthday Shoot
- Amaju Pinnick Wins NFF Election, Re-elected For 2nd Term
- Speaker Dogara Arrives PDP Headquarters
- Buhari's Corruption Fighter, Obono-obla Under Pressure To Resign Over 'Fake' WAEC
- Children Surprise Dad With The Car He Sold To Pay For Their Mom’s Treatment
- Tinubu Shed Tears At Meeting With Buhari Over Ambode
- See Cute Photo of Jay Jay Okocha & His Handsome Son
- Wife Scalds Husband With Hot Water During A Fight Over Food
- Robbers Break Into Lagos Canteen, Cart Away Pots Of Soup and Other Foods
- Meet Akintola Williams, First Chartered Accountant In Africa
- Thief Tries To Have S*x With Lady While She Was Sleeping... and this happened
- Telcos to fund researches, innovations, says NCC boss
- Misapplication of funds: President fires Minister
- Why 9mobile takeover is being delayed – NCC
- End of road for Air Nigeria