Chapman is a Nigerian drink. All Nigerian Recipes defines it as "an easy Nigerian cocktail drink with a nice blend of fruity flavours". It's one of the most popular drinks in Nigeria, and its origins can be traced back to Ikoyi Club 1938, in Lagos, in the late 60s.
And now, Mike and Garry Robinson are bottling and selling a drink they call 'Ikoyi Chapmans'. Mike and Garry grew up with their parents in Lagos when their parents were stationed here. And even though they attended Warwick School in the UK, Mike and Garry would return to Nigeria during the school holidays to have the drink.
(Photo: The Leamington Courier)
According to their website:
"The Ikoyi Chapmans journey started for Mike and Garry Robinson in 1973 at The Ikoyi Club in Lagos, Nigeria. Their parents were based in West Africa for over 30 years and during school holidays Mike and Garry would go to The Ikoyi Club to play squash, tennis, golf and swim.
After these exertions in the heat and humidity of West Africa, one of the Club barmen would mix the most amazing, refreshing, thirst-quenching drink that was popular with everyone. It had a unique taste like no other drink and to this day they have never tasted anything like it....until now, that is. The Ikoyi Club name for this drink was Chapmans."
Mike and Garry grew up to become professional squash players but they continued to mix and drink Chapman (Chapmans?) in their social gatherings.
(Photo: Ikoyi Chapmans)
According to Mike, for many years their dream has been to produce this drink for everyone to enjoy, but many companies were not interested:
"After leaving school, Garry and I both became professional squash players but it has always been our dream to commercially produce this drink. We’ve always had a dream of bringing it to market. We went to various drinks companies, but many only want an energy drink or a fruit drink. We were taking them a drink that had a unique taste."
But now, a drinks company is on board, and after some experimentation, the first bottles finally came off the production line in April. Ikoyi Chapmans is now being sold in a few bars and cafes around Leamington and Warwick and the brothers are hoping to start selling it in supermarkets soon.
So if you're ever in the UK, you can buy Ikoyi Chapmans
by white people from cafes and (eventually) supermarkets. Does anyone appreciate the appropriation irony?
Tech and politics. Is there even a difference between the two?
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Garba Shehu attacks lawmakers, civil servants, security agencies, PDP heckling Buhari govt.
- Replicate seamless political transition in Lagos nationwide, Ekwunife tells APC
- Beautiful Lady Celebrates After Graduating As A Private Pilot
- Policemen Disgrace Civil Defence Officer, Bundle Him Into Van
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle wed in style
- More Confusion In APC As Party's State Congresses Get Ugly
- Top Four Affordable Phones Anyone Can Buy
- Air Force launches rocket attacks against Boko Haram, kills many
- Saraki, Dogara, Kwankwaso, Others Get Secret Deal From PDP?
- 21 Ex-governors, deputies still earning double salaries as Senators, Ministers
- Kaduna LG Poll: APC Wins 14; PDP 4 chairs
- Police parades three fake currency dealer suspects
- Ogun Assembly passes resolution to establish dump sites across LGAs
- There ‘ll be religious war in Nigeria if.. – CAN
- We ‘ll continue to resist anti-grazing law – Herdsmen
- How To Help Build Your Marriage Even If Your Spouse Is Difficult
- Woman in custody fight carries 7-yr-old son, jumps from top of 25-story building
- Dogs named Harry, Maeghan have own royal wedding too
- Yahoo Boys’ New Tactics of Evading Arrest
- Woman lures boy to abduct little girl during church service
- Falana, Others React to Saraki's Face Off with Police Headquarters over "Killer Squad"
- Court strips indebted Sen. Oduah of all assets, funds in 14 businesses across Lagos, Abuja
- Self-Defence Call: What CSOs, NHRC, military officers, others write in panel report on Danjuma allegation
- Nigeria appointed chair of Anti-Corruption Agencies in Commonwealth Africa
- Imo: Okorocha reveals why Oyegun takes side with ememies to rock APC
- Murder Suspects In Police Headquarters Have Implicated Saraki?
- TRAGEDY! Plane carrying 105 passengers crashes after take off
- Is Billionaire Otedola Running For Governor In Lagos?
- Okorocha Raises Alarm Over APC Chairman Oyegun
- Governor Plunges Into River While Taking Selfie On New Bridge
- Plane crash claims over 100 lives
- Important Things To Look For When Booking A Hotel Room
- Army dismisses Gen TY Danjuma’s claims on Herdsmen killings
- Multi-Billion Naira Debt: Govt. Takes Over Stella Oduah’s Assets
- "Only Formidable Opposition Will Defeat Buhari In 2019"
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Over 120 Nigerians kidnapped in six days
- Imo: APC jubilates as Aso Rock, Catholic Church abandon Okorocha
- Jack Wilshere reacts to World Cup squad omission
- Russia to ‘punish’ fans over racist Pogba, Dembele chants