It’s always good news when we hear that Tope Oshin has a new project, as she usually delivers. We’re particularly intrigued by her upcoming film, which is in collaboration with The Initiative For Equal Rights: We Don’t Live Here Anymore.
Written by a transgender Nigerian screenwriter, Noni Salma, and directed by Oshin herself, we can trust the movie to fulfill its promise to shine a light on the struggles young LGBT Nigerians face.
We Don’t Live Here Anymore tells the story of two young schoolboys who fall in love. They get caught together and find themselves in a scandal which could lead to a possible expulsion. The wealthier family then pulls strings to ensure the safety of their own son.
Over the years, Nollywood has ignored stories about young people, but we've begun to see a paradigm shift on the small screen, with shows such as Shuga and Corper Shun, and now we're starting to see it on the big screen as well.
We Don't Live Here Anymore is particularly important, as it discusses a facet of society that is usually ignored. We're not sure what this will mean for the LGBT society here, but we have a lot of faith in Tope Oshin's ability, and the nuanced manner with which she typically tackles issues.
We know that this will spark a lot of horrible reactions from the average Nigerian, however, we're hoping that this movie will sensitise them to issues surrounding sexuality. While no release date has been announced yet, we're certainly excited to eventually see it.
Until then, check out the trailer here:[embedded content]
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Totti: I tried to get Ronaldo, Ibramovich to Roma
- Inter, Icardi disagrees over renewal salary
- Court jails two over Malabu oil bribery scandal
- Messi’s UCL conquest, Ronaldo still ahead
- Mariano Diaz: Wearing the No. 7 shirt is a great responsibility
- 10 champions League shock that shook the world
- Akwa Ibom reiterates commitment to early completion of airport
- Lescott: David Silva is the best player I have ever played with
- Robertson: Sturridge summer up the spirit in our squad
- N3.48bn fraud: Panel sets to arrest Senator Nwaoboshi
- IMF advises Nigeria to focus on structural reforms
- Group berates MTN over constant abuse of extant laws
- 16 Proven Health Benefits, Uses Of Coconut Oil
- Amaju Pinnick re-elected NFF president
- France, Belgium tops latest FIFA rankings
- Ferdinand: Ronaldo’s tears, so emotional
- Notorious Armed Robber/Cultist Shot Dead In Lagos
- Oshiomhole Settles With Governors; States Can Decide Mode Of Primaries
- Story of 12yrs Old Orphan Left to Care for 4 Kids After The Death of Her Elder Sister
- Lagos 2019: Ambode, Fashola dare Tinubu
- Nigeria, Congo to account for 40% of world’s poorest soon – Report
- Drilling slows in Nigeria but oil production rose
- FG to gather N17bn from sale of 21% stake in Nigeria Security Printing & Minting Coy
- Trump tells OPEC to lower oil prices
- Multiple shooting in Maryland
- So Beautiful! Female Corper & Her Baby Dress In NYSC Outfit For Birthday Shoot
- Amaju Pinnick Wins NFF Election, Re-elected For 2nd Term
- Speaker Dogara Arrives PDP Headquarters
- Buhari's Corruption Fighter, Obono-obla Under Pressure To Resign Over 'Fake' WAEC
- Children Surprise Dad With The Car He Sold To Pay For Their Mom’s Treatment
- Tinubu Shed Tears At Meeting With Buhari Over Ambode
- See Cute Photo of Jay Jay Okocha & His Handsome Son
- Wife Scalds Husband With Hot Water During A Fight Over Food
- Robbers Break Into Lagos Canteen, Cart Away Pots Of Soup and Other Foods
- Meet Akintola Williams, First Chartered Accountant In Africa
- Thief Tries To Have S*x With Lady While She Was Sleeping... and this happened
- Telcos to fund researches, innovations, says NCC boss
- Misapplication of funds: President fires Minister
- Why 9mobile takeover is being delayed – NCC
- End of road for Air Nigeria