Riz Ahmed, the London-born star of Rogue One, HBO's The Night Of and Chris Morris' Four Lions, says it was a "privilege" to have been able to tell "an untold British story" in his new series 'Englistan'.
He said the BBC drama, about a British-Pakistani family "navigating shifting circumstances and evolving loyalties" across four politically-tumultuous decades, was a tale he "always wanted to tell".
Riz Ahmed (Image: Riz MC via Bandcamp)
The show follows three generations of the Latif family – Jamal and Fatima, their children Ashraf, Razia and Asim, and their grandchildren Zahed, Naseem and Ayesha.
It will re-frame recent British history and explore the forces that have shaped modern society - while looking at the Latifs through political movements, gang-land rivalries and cultural assimilation through soul-searching and religious conflict.
"Our characters will question what it means to be true to oneself, to belong, and whether ‘home’ is a country, a community, or something much more personal," the BBC writes:
"Above all this is a story of family, of the enduring love a family provides and how it sustains us, restricts us, and defines us for better or worse."[embedded content]
Ahmed, who became the 'first Muslim, and the first Asian' to win a lead acting Emmy in 2017, describes the programme as "an untold British story with universal themes and resonance".
"It's the story I always wanted to tell, and it's a privilege to have the opportunity to do so."
The series, set to air on BBC Two, has the same name as a 2016 mixtape released by Ahmed, who goes by the musical stage name Riz MC – and forms one-third of rap crew Swet Shop Boys.[embedded content]
He described the Englistan album as "an unflinching portrayal of multiculturalism – not as a buzzword, but as lived experience."
In 2015, Ahmed wrote and directed the short film 'Daytimer', about a young boy experiencing different cultures within the course of one day, from school and prayer to a British-South Asian rave scene.
"I grew up between those worlds of traditional Pakistani family, a relatively posh school, and the Asian [rave] scene," he said in an interview with Noisey.[embedded content]
"The scene started to splinter and peter out for a number of reasons," he said, "but a really big one is what 9/11 did culturally in terms of the self-image of South Asian communities."
"In the 80s we were all black, in the 90s we were all Asians/Pakis, then post-9/11 it fragments further to Sikh, Hindu, Muslim."
"Scorcese brought the Italian American experience to the centre stage; Spike Lee did it with the African American experience. I want to bring that story on stage too and not as a niche thing, but as a real British story. "[embedded content]
Writer and photographer from South London, UK. If you want to get in touch please email me at: firstname.lastname@example.org
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- APC crisis: 9 Governors, 31 Senators, 54 Reps, behind R-APC to unseat Buhari
- Another letter: OBJ attacks Buhari again
- Bride drowned in Katisna flood found in Niger Republic
- APC Replies PDP: We Dare You To Go To Court With Your Facts
- 2019: Saraki Meets 4 Governors, Top Politicians; To Dump APC?
- Married Woman Dies After Surgery To Increase Her Buttocks, Doctor On The Run
- Police Dismiss Inspector For Giving Out Information...
- Police Helicopter Threatening My Life - Fayose
- "This Is My First Time" - Kidnapper Begs, Reveals How Much He Got
- See The All New 2019 Honda Pilot (Photos)
- Actor Kenneth Okonkwo Declares To Contest For Governor In Enugu Under APC
- Most Wanted Armed Robber 'Agbara' Shot Dead By Police
- APC crisis: Secondus woes Gemade, Saraki, Tambuwal, Ortom, Ahmed
- Yummy Bread and Egg Recipe To Try Out
- NYSC Announces Date For Batch B, Stream 1 Orientation
- How Abuja Airport Road Has Sent Many People To Their Graves
- Dino Melaye Reacts To The Burning Down Of His School Projects By Hoodlums In Kogi
- Obasanjo Hits Buhari; Says The Govt. Is Incompetent, Confused
- Twin Brothers Die In Accident After Visiting Mother
- "We Now Have Facts On How Ekiti Election Was Rigged" – PDP
- IGP Idris Must End Killing Of Policemen Now – House of Reps
- Top Officials In Trouble As FG Uncovers N62.5bn Fraud In NSITF
- Senate Probes Kachikwu Over Alleged Oil & Gas "Deals"
- Police Arrest & Parade Suspected Kidnappers Of Chibokgirls
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Man Drives A Burning SUV From A Fire Scene In Lagos (Photos)
- First Ever Miss Nigeria, Grace Oyelude, Still Looking Graceful At 86
- Woman Walked Out Of This Accident, Husband Appreciates God
- FG Unveils New National Carrier, 'Nigerian Air' In London
- Benue 2019: Ortom battles for survival
- NBC to impose higher sanction on Ekiti Broadcasting Service – official
- Madu , Ekuta others to represent Nigeria Judo Federation at AYG
- Akeredolu to sack doctors
- I quit Sky Sports to focus on coaching career —Henry
- Deputy Governor sentenced to jail
- Banks profitability under siege as Treasury Bills yields fall
- Dalic: I can coach Brazil or Barca but Croatia my favourite
- Buhari orders immediate repatriation of Nigerians stranded In Russia
- We kill them, Messi or No Messi’ – Pogba’s inspirational speech
- Yahoo-Boy Who 'Used His Girlfriend For Money Ritual' Breaks Down In Tears (Photos)