You might not be aware of this, but the battle for the 2018 World Cup has begun. The first battle cry is being sound as you read this – and we’re talking about names of players that will make up each country’s squad. Argentina, Portugal, Denmark, Germany and others have all released theirs – and Nigeria has followed suit with a provisional list that brags 30 strong players from within and outside the country.
(Photo: Nigeria Football Federation via Twitter)
The list was put together by Super Eagles coach, Gernot Rohr and it has our main man, John Obi Mikel as the captain of the team. Rohr also included Victor Moses, Alex Iwobi and Ahmed Musa who were instrumental in the country qualifying for the World Cup in the first place.
Wilfred Ndidi is quite lucky to be included considering his recent hamstring injury episode. It’s not surprising that Kelechi Iheanacho and Moses Simon are also on the list – but, honestly, who on earth are Simeon Nwankwo and Junior Lokosa?
If Rohr was looking to give us a shock with these names that have never appeared on the Super Eagles team, he certainly had us right there.
Simeon Nwankwo and Junior Lokosa (Photo: Simeon Nwankwo via Instagram/Nigeria Professional Football League)
However judging from their records, these newbies look promising. Nwankwo currently plays for Crotone in the Italian Serie A. Since joining the club in 2016, the six-foot-six 26-year-old has scored 10 goals in 43 appearances. Lokosa, on the other hand, plays for Kano Pillars in the Nigeria Professional Football League. With 18 goals to his name, he’s currently this season’s leading goal-scorer in the league.
Of course, Rohr can’t possibly take 30 players to Russia. He needs just 23 men who will feature in the tournament. So, this is a longlist of a sort and we’ll be expecting the final 23-man list in June. The question now is, who will make the final list?
See the rest of the players below:
.@NGSuperEagles 30-Man Provisional World Cup list #SoarSuperEagles #SuperEagles pic.twitter.com/OcTuwtNGbR— The NFF (@thenff) May 14, 2018
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Garba Shehu attacks lawmakers, civil servants, security agencies, PDP heckling Buhari govt.
- Replicate seamless political transition in Lagos nationwide, Ekwunife tells APC
- Beautiful Lady Celebrates After Graduating As A Private Pilot
- Policemen Disgrace Civil Defence Officer, Bundle Him Into Van
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle wed in style
- More Confusion In APC As Party's State Congresses Get Ugly
- Top Four Affordable Phones Anyone Can Buy
- Air Force launches rocket attacks against Boko Haram, kills many
- Saraki, Dogara, Kwankwaso, Others Get Secret Deal From PDP?
- 21 Ex-governors, deputies still earning double salaries as Senators, Ministers
- Kaduna LG Poll: APC Wins 14; PDP 4 chairs
- Police parades three fake currency dealer suspects
- Ogun Assembly passes resolution to establish dump sites across LGAs
- There ‘ll be religious war in Nigeria if.. – CAN
- We ‘ll continue to resist anti-grazing law – Herdsmen
- How To Help Build Your Marriage Even If Your Spouse Is Difficult
- Woman in custody fight carries 7-yr-old son, jumps from top of 25-story building
- Dogs named Harry, Maeghan have own royal wedding too
- Yahoo Boys’ New Tactics of Evading Arrest
- Woman lures boy to abduct little girl during church service
- Falana, Others React to Saraki's Face Off with Police Headquarters over "Killer Squad"
- Court strips indebted Sen. Oduah of all assets, funds in 14 businesses across Lagos, Abuja
- Self-Defence Call: What CSOs, NHRC, military officers, others write in panel report on Danjuma allegation
- Nigeria appointed chair of Anti-Corruption Agencies in Commonwealth Africa
- Imo: Okorocha reveals why Oyegun takes side with ememies to rock APC
- Murder Suspects In Police Headquarters Have Implicated Saraki?
- TRAGEDY! Plane carrying 105 passengers crashes after take off
- Is Billionaire Otedola Running For Governor In Lagos?
- Okorocha Raises Alarm Over APC Chairman Oyegun
- Governor Plunges Into River While Taking Selfie On New Bridge
- Plane crash claims over 100 lives
- Important Things To Look For When Booking A Hotel Room
- Army dismisses Gen TY Danjuma’s claims on Herdsmen killings
- Multi-Billion Naira Debt: Govt. Takes Over Stella Oduah’s Assets
- "Only Formidable Opposition Will Defeat Buhari In 2019"
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Over 120 Nigerians kidnapped in six days
- Imo: APC jubilates as Aso Rock, Catholic Church abandon Okorocha
- Jack Wilshere reacts to World Cup squad omission
- Russia to ‘punish’ fans over racist Pogba, Dembele chants