Former captain Gary Lineker says England should write off the World Cup and use it as a chance to blood youngsters, predicting the side can become a “serious force” in world football.
England head to Russia next month hoping to improve on a dismal 2014 campaign in Brazil and an embarrassing performance at Euro 2016.
The likes of Harry Kane, Raheem Sterling and Jordan Henderson have impressed this season, but former England striker Lineker feels Gareth Southgate’s side are short of top players.
Southgate is set to name his 23-man squad on Wednesday and Lineker wants to see the likes of Ruben Loftus-Cheek, Trent Alexander-Arnold and Ryan Sessegnon make the cut, with Euro 2020 and the 2022 World Cup in mind.
“If I was Gareth Southgate I would sell this on youngsters,” he said at the BBC’s launch of their coverage of the tournament.
“I would say this is an experience, take total pressure off them, say, ‘It is all about experience, we are not going to do particularly well, we are not going to win this World Cup’.
“I think people will buy that because in four years’ time we are going to be a serious force in world football, there’s no doubt about that. We have got some great young players.
“Just write it off, we haven’t realistically got a chance, you never know what might happen in tournament football, but we haven’t currently enough world-class players.”
There could be surprises in Southgate’s squad — Joe Hart and Jack Wilshere have reportedly missed out, with 17-year-old Sessegnon touted as a potential wild card pick along with Liverpool’s Alexander-Arnold.
Former England defender Rio Ferdinand is a huge advocate of taking Alexander-Arnold.
“I’d take him. His Champions League form this year has been nothing short of breathtaking,” he said.
“To go in there, a pressure cooker, playing at Anfield, the expectation levels of their fans. We have been there and he took to it like a duck to water.”
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Totti: I tried to get Ronaldo, Ibramovich to Roma
- Inter, Icardi disagrees over renewal salary
- Court jails two over Malabu oil bribery scandal
- Messi’s UCL conquest, Ronaldo still ahead
- Mariano Diaz: Wearing the No. 7 shirt is a great responsibility
- 10 champions League shock that shook the world
- Akwa Ibom reiterates commitment to early completion of airport
- Lescott: David Silva is the best player I have ever played with
- Robertson: Sturridge summer up the spirit in our squad
- N3.48bn fraud: Panel sets to arrest Senator Nwaoboshi
- IMF advises Nigeria to focus on structural reforms
- Group berates MTN over constant abuse of extant laws
- 16 Proven Health Benefits, Uses Of Coconut Oil
- Amaju Pinnick re-elected NFF president
- France, Belgium tops latest FIFA rankings
- Ferdinand: Ronaldo’s tears, so emotional
- Notorious Armed Robber/Cultist Shot Dead In Lagos
- Oshiomhole Settles With Governors; States Can Decide Mode Of Primaries
- Story of 12yrs Old Orphan Left to Care for 4 Kids After The Death of Her Elder Sister
- Lagos 2019: Ambode, Fashola dare Tinubu
- Nigeria, Congo to account for 40% of world’s poorest soon – Report
- Drilling slows in Nigeria but oil production rose
- FG to gather N17bn from sale of 21% stake in Nigeria Security Printing & Minting Coy
- Trump tells OPEC to lower oil prices
- Multiple shooting in Maryland
- So Beautiful! Female Corper & Her Baby Dress In NYSC Outfit For Birthday Shoot
- Amaju Pinnick Wins NFF Election, Re-elected For 2nd Term
- Speaker Dogara Arrives PDP Headquarters
- Buhari's Corruption Fighter, Obono-obla Under Pressure To Resign Over 'Fake' WAEC
- Children Surprise Dad With The Car He Sold To Pay For Their Mom’s Treatment
- Tinubu Shed Tears At Meeting With Buhari Over Ambode
- See Cute Photo of Jay Jay Okocha & His Handsome Son
- Wife Scalds Husband With Hot Water During A Fight Over Food
- Robbers Break Into Lagos Canteen, Cart Away Pots Of Soup and Other Foods
- Meet Akintola Williams, First Chartered Accountant In Africa
- Thief Tries To Have S*x With Lady While She Was Sleeping... and this happened
- Telcos to fund researches, innovations, says NCC boss
- Misapplication of funds: President fires Minister
- Why 9mobile takeover is being delayed – NCC
- End of road for Air Nigeria