The Eiye cult members after they were caught
A 28-year-old suspected cultist, Azeez Idris, has told the police in Lagos that any day his members put on red clothes they must kill somebody that day, NewTelegraph has revealed.
According to the report, the suspected Eiye cult member said they derived their strength from wearing red clothes whenever they were going on operations. Other suspects are Andrew Awalebi (38), Wale Oyekan (40), Uche Igbo (38), John Dayo (20), Tajudeen Oluwatosin (30), Azeez Olayeni (21), Femi Orijobi (21) and Joseph Kolawole (22). They were all arrested on May 9 at Jakande Estate, Lekki area of the state.
The suspects, it was learnt, were going to carry out attack on their rival group in the area, when they were arrested by the Special Anti- Robbery Squad team drafted to area. According to Idris, the members don’t just wear red clothes; they do that whenever they are going to attack a rival group, because they somebody must die.
He said: “I was initiated into the Eiye cult group in 2013 by Johnbull. The said Johnbull approached me and said he wanted me to be part of them and promised to defend me when I was in trouble. It is true we always wear red but on the operations that they arrest us, I did not go with them. “I was sleeping when policemen came to arrest me. I had been to prison twice because of cult-related issues.
When I was released from prison I did not intend to join the group, but I joined when my colleagues threatened to kill me. “Since I joined the Eiye group, I have not killed, but, I am the one carrying the guns we use for operations. I am not the leader of the group; the leader of our group is Jide. He was arrested when we went to fight and remanded in prison. “As a member, we always assist one another who are in need of money or if such a person is being threatened we would go and give the person protection. I regret joining the group. After I joined I couldn’t leave for fear of being killed.”
On his part, Olayeni said he was formally a member of the Eiye confraternity. He said: “After I was released from prison I decided not to join them again, but I was arrested in my house while I was sleeping.” Awalebi, who the police claimed to be the leader of the group, denied being the leader. But Idris pointed at him and said he was the leader of the Eiye cult group.
However, Awalebi said he had never met Idris, claiming that he was only working as a security guard at Asapa Estate in Ajah area. Dayo, on his own, said he was an Eiye cult member and he was initiated by one Toyosi who is late now.
The state Commissioner of Police, Imohimi Edgal, said on May 9, about 10p.m., his men received a distress call about the operation of the Eiye cult members at Jakande area. Based on the information, a crack team of Special Anti-Robbery Squad operatives and the command undercover were drafted to the scene which led to the arrest of the suspects as they were about to set out for a mission to attack rival cult group.
The commissioner said during interrogation, the suspects confessed to be members of the notorious Eiye confraternity cult group. According to him, the suspects have made life miserable for residents of Jakande Estate in Lekki area of the state.
He said: “The ring leader of the cult group by name Andrew Awalebi called Flying Bird confessed that he was initiated into the group in 1990 by one Efrebor. He has also participated inter-cult clashes in Lekki- Ajah area where many lives were lost.” Edgal said one locally-made single- barrelled pistol, two battle axes, two daggers, one cutlass, charms and a pair of regalia were recovered from them.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- APC crisis: 9 Governors, 31 Senators, 54 Reps, behind R-APC to unseat Buhari
- Another letter: OBJ attacks Buhari again
- Bride drowned in Katisna flood found in Niger Republic
- APC Replies PDP: We Dare You To Go To Court With Your Facts
- 2019: Saraki Meets 4 Governors, Top Politicians; To Dump APC?
- Married Woman Dies After Surgery To Increase Her Buttocks, Doctor On The Run
- Police Dismiss Inspector For Giving Out Information...
- Police Helicopter Threatening My Life - Fayose
- "This Is My First Time" - Kidnapper Begs, Reveals How Much He Got
- See The All New 2019 Honda Pilot (Photos)
- Actor Kenneth Okonkwo Declares To Contest For Governor In Enugu Under APC
- Most Wanted Armed Robber 'Agbara' Shot Dead By Police
- APC crisis: Secondus woes Gemade, Saraki, Tambuwal, Ortom, Ahmed
- Yummy Bread and Egg Recipe To Try Out
- NYSC Announces Date For Batch B, Stream 1 Orientation
- How Abuja Airport Road Has Sent Many People To Their Graves
- Dino Melaye Reacts To The Burning Down Of His School Projects By Hoodlums In Kogi
- Obasanjo Hits Buhari; Says The Govt. Is Incompetent, Confused
- Twin Brothers Die In Accident After Visiting Mother
- "We Now Have Facts On How Ekiti Election Was Rigged" – PDP
- IGP Idris Must End Killing Of Policemen Now – House of Reps
- Top Officials In Trouble As FG Uncovers N62.5bn Fraud In NSITF
- Senate Probes Kachikwu Over Alleged Oil & Gas "Deals"
- Police Arrest & Parade Suspected Kidnappers Of Chibokgirls
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Man Drives A Burning SUV From A Fire Scene In Lagos (Photos)
- First Ever Miss Nigeria, Grace Oyelude, Still Looking Graceful At 86
- Woman Walked Out Of This Accident, Husband Appreciates God
- FG Unveils New National Carrier, 'Nigerian Air' In London
- Benue 2019: Ortom battles for survival
- NBC to impose higher sanction on Ekiti Broadcasting Service – official
- Madu , Ekuta others to represent Nigeria Judo Federation at AYG
- Akeredolu to sack doctors
- I quit Sky Sports to focus on coaching career —Henry
- Deputy Governor sentenced to jail
- Banks profitability under siege as Treasury Bills yields fall
- Dalic: I can coach Brazil or Barca but Croatia my favourite
- Buhari orders immediate repatriation of Nigerians stranded In Russia
- We kill them, Messi or No Messi’ – Pogba’s inspirational speech
- Yahoo-Boy Who 'Used His Girlfriend For Money Ritual' Breaks Down In Tears (Photos)