Two Nigerian students — Ilonze Elvis and Daniel Oluyemi — who battered a fellow student, Prince Nnaji, with a shisha pipe in an argument over who had the richest father, have been spared jail in the UK.
Ilonze, 20, attacked Nnaji, who is said to be his childhood friend, in the flat they shared in Brighton, East Sussex, reported Daily Mail.
During the fight, Nnaji reportedly tried to escape from the flat, but Ilonze, along with his friend, Daniel Oluyemi, reportedly chased after him and beat him with a wine bottle on April 7 last year around 10 p.m.
Inside the flat, Nnaji’s girlfriend, Louanna Rayawa, who tried to stop the attack, was pushed to the ground by Ilonze.
The pair of Daniel and Oluyemi also assaulted law student, Chiedozie Dibiagwu, 23, who was sitting on a chair nearby and witnessed Nnaji being assaulted.
Nnaji and Ilonze had known each other from Nigeria, but when Nnaji dared to suggest that he had the richer father Ilonze decided to ‘teach him a lesson.’
Ilonze and Oluyemi, 24, both pleaded guilty to two counts of assault occasioning grievous bodily harm and were spared jail at the Old Bailey.
Ilonze came to the UK to study a four-year Masters of Engineering degree at the University of Sussex, and is one year away from completing his course.
His barrister, Tom Hoskins, said that Ilonze faces deportation back to Nigeria if he were given a sentence of more than one year in custody.
Oluyemi, who is training to become an accountant at the same university, is expecting a child in September or October.
His barrister, Johnathan Page, said that the right place for him is at home, preparing for the ‘momentous occasion’, not in prison.
Judge Christine Laing QC spared the ‘cosseted’ pair jail, suspending a one-year custodial sentence for 18 months to give them ‘one last chance.’
The judge said: “Unlike many of the people who pass through the courts, you both come from, effectively, backgrounds of privilege.
“It couldn’t be more childish, effectively an insult on somebody’s parents — who’s got the richer dad — that started this fight.
“You both appear to be incredibly immature, perhaps as a result of being cosseted in your upbringing.”
The judge added that the pair of them, though immature, have ‘much to contribute to society.’
Both Ilonze, who wore a blue suit, and Oluyemi, wearing a grey suit and glasses, thanked the judge for sparing them jail before leaving the Old Bailey dock.
Ilonze, of Hendon, and Oluyemi, of Colindale, North London, admitted two counts of assault occasioning actual bodily harm.
They were each given a one-year prison sentence, suspended for 18 months.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Garba Shehu attacks lawmakers, civil servants, security agencies, PDP heckling Buhari govt.
- Replicate seamless political transition in Lagos nationwide, Ekwunife tells APC
- Beautiful Lady Celebrates After Graduating As A Private Pilot
- Policemen Disgrace Civil Defence Officer, Bundle Him Into Van
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle wed in style
- More Confusion In APC As Party's State Congresses Get Ugly
- Top Four Affordable Phones Anyone Can Buy
- Air Force launches rocket attacks against Boko Haram, kills many
- Saraki, Dogara, Kwankwaso, Others Get Secret Deal From PDP?
- 21 Ex-governors, deputies still earning double salaries as Senators, Ministers
- Kaduna LG Poll: APC Wins 14; PDP 4 chairs
- Police parades three fake currency dealer suspects
- Ogun Assembly passes resolution to establish dump sites across LGAs
- There ‘ll be religious war in Nigeria if.. – CAN
- We ‘ll continue to resist anti-grazing law – Herdsmen
- How To Help Build Your Marriage Even If Your Spouse Is Difficult
- Woman in custody fight carries 7-yr-old son, jumps from top of 25-story building
- Dogs named Harry, Maeghan have own royal wedding too
- Yahoo Boys’ New Tactics of Evading Arrest
- Woman lures boy to abduct little girl during church service
- Falana, Others React to Saraki's Face Off with Police Headquarters over "Killer Squad"
- Court strips indebted Sen. Oduah of all assets, funds in 14 businesses across Lagos, Abuja
- Self-Defence Call: What CSOs, NHRC, military officers, others write in panel report on Danjuma allegation
- Nigeria appointed chair of Anti-Corruption Agencies in Commonwealth Africa
- Imo: Okorocha reveals why Oyegun takes side with ememies to rock APC
- Murder Suspects In Police Headquarters Have Implicated Saraki?
- TRAGEDY! Plane carrying 105 passengers crashes after take off
- Is Billionaire Otedola Running For Governor In Lagos?
- Okorocha Raises Alarm Over APC Chairman Oyegun
- Governor Plunges Into River While Taking Selfie On New Bridge
- Plane crash claims over 100 lives
- Important Things To Look For When Booking A Hotel Room
- Army dismisses Gen TY Danjuma’s claims on Herdsmen killings
- Multi-Billion Naira Debt: Govt. Takes Over Stella Oduah’s Assets
- "Only Formidable Opposition Will Defeat Buhari In 2019"
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Over 120 Nigerians kidnapped in six days
- Imo: APC jubilates as Aso Rock, Catholic Church abandon Okorocha
- Jack Wilshere reacts to World Cup squad omission
- Russia to ‘punish’ fans over racist Pogba, Dembele chants