Two Nigerian students — Ilonze Elvis and Daniel Oluyemi — who battered a fellow student, Prince Nnaji, with a shisha pipe in an argument over who had the richest father, have been spared jail in the UK.
Ilonze, 20, attacked Nnaji, who is said to be his childhood friend, in the flat they shared in Brighton, East Sussex, reported Daily Mail.
During the fight, Nnaji reportedly tried to escape from the flat, but Ilonze, along with his friend, Daniel Oluyemi, reportedly chased after him and beat him with a wine bottle on April 7 last year around 10 p.m.
Inside the flat, Nnaji’s girlfriend, Louanna Rayawa, who tried to stop the attack, was pushed to the ground by Ilonze.
The pair of Daniel and Oluyemi also assaulted law student, Chiedozie Dibiagwu, 23, who was sitting on a chair nearby and witnessed Nnaji being assaulted.
Nnaji and Ilonze had known each other from Nigeria, but when Nnaji dared to suggest that he had the richer father Ilonze decided to ‘teach him a lesson.’
Ilonze and Oluyemi, 24, both pleaded guilty to two counts of assault occasioning grievous bodily harm and were spared jail at the Old Bailey.
Ilonze came to the UK to study a four-year Masters of Engineering degree at the University of Sussex, and is one year away from completing his course.
His barrister, Tom Hoskins, said that Ilonze faces deportation back to Nigeria if he were given a sentence of more than one year in custody.
Oluyemi, who is training to become an accountant at the same university, is expecting a child in September or October.
His barrister, Johnathan Page, said that the right place for him is at home, preparing for the ‘momentous occasion’, not in prison.
Judge Christine Laing QC spared the ‘cosseted’ pair jail, suspending a one-year custodial sentence for 18 months to give them ‘one last chance.’
The judge said: “Unlike many of the people who pass through the courts, you both come from, effectively, backgrounds of privilege.
“It couldn’t be more childish, effectively an insult on somebody’s parents — who’s got the richer dad — that started this fight.
“You both appear to be incredibly immature, perhaps as a result of being cosseted in your upbringing.”
The judge added that the pair of them, though immature, have ‘much to contribute to society.’
Both Ilonze, who wore a blue suit, and Oluyemi, wearing a grey suit and glasses, thanked the judge for sparing them jail before leaving the Old Bailey dock.
Ilonze, of Hendon, and Oluyemi, of Colindale, North London, admitted two counts of assault occasioning actual bodily harm.
They were each given a one-year prison sentence, suspended for 18 months.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Juventus considers new Mandzukvic deal
- FIFA 19: Usain bolt likely to be included in winter update
- Luis Enrique: There is no similarities between Spain, Barcelona
- Lukaku hints at future Serie A switch
- Pep: Messi, Ronaldo are phenomena
- Roberto Martinez: Hazard can lead any team
- Man Utd to make De gea the highest paid player in the team
- Morata: Money, fame can be a problem
- Joshua kimmich: Bad luck isn’t a coincidence in Germany’s failures
- National industrial court dismisses suit filed over Marilyn Ogar retirement
- Mother of Hauwa Liman: I Can't Believe My Daughter Is Dead
- APC Reacts To Governor Ganduje's $5m Bribe-taking Videos
- Fayose's Interrogation By Senior EFCC Officers Begins
- LAUTECH Students Protest, Shut Down School Over Fee Hike
- Presidency Reacts To Video Of Gov Ganduje 'Receiving' Bribe
- Nigeria Amputee Football Team In Ghastly Car Crash En-route Abuja For Visa (Photos)
- Speaker Dogara Declares Two Reps' Seats Vacant
- Tenure expiration: Fayose’s whereabouts remains unknown
- Nigeria’s inflation on the rise again
- CBN set to revamp banking regulations
- Young Nigerian Man Married To Elderly White Woman Dies Of Massive Heart Attack (Photo)
- Mama Rainbow Celebrates 76th Birthday With Lovely Photos
- Kayode Fayemi Sworn-in As New Governor Of Ekiti State
- Fayose Arrives EFCC Office In Style (Photo)
- Saudi Arabia to admit missing journalist was killed
- Evil Staff Kidnaps & Kills Boss Who Sacked Him For Stealing
- Atiku Reacts To Killing Of Hauwa Liman By Boko Haram
- Rich Nigerian Man & Friends Die In Fatal Accident At Night
- Beautiful Lady Working As A Mechanic Melts Hearts Online
- Presidency orders EFCC to detain Fayose indefinitely, says PDP
- Businessmen Arrested For 'Stealing' Spare Parts In Lagos
- Obasanjo Commended For Openly Endorsing Atiku
- 72 Afe Babalola Uni Students Graduate With First Class
- Atiku Appoints Saraki, Fayose, Wike To Head 2019 Campaign
- SP shoots dead ex-finance minister’s daughter; family suspects something else
- “N230m bursary to 5,393 Ondo students—dividend of democracy”
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Police Saved Man's Life After Heath Challenge While Driving
- Woman Gives Birth While In A Coma, Wakes Up 23 Days After To See Baby In Her Arms (Photos)
- INEC Chairman Gives Update On APC Position In Zamfara