Two Nigerian students — Ilonze Elvis and Daniel Oluyemi — who battered a fellow student, Prince Nnaji, with a shisha pipe in an argument over who had the richest father, have been spared jail in the UK.
Ilonze, 20, attacked Nnaji, who is said to be his childhood friend, in the flat they shared in Brighton, East Sussex, reported Daily Mail.
During the fight, Nnaji reportedly tried to escape from the flat, but Ilonze, along with his friend, Daniel Oluyemi, reportedly chased after him and beat him with a wine bottle on April 7 last year around 10 p.m.
Inside the flat, Nnaji’s girlfriend, Louanna Rayawa, who tried to stop the attack, was pushed to the ground by Ilonze.
The pair of Daniel and Oluyemi also assaulted law student, Chiedozie Dibiagwu, 23, who was sitting on a chair nearby and witnessed Nnaji being assaulted.
Nnaji and Ilonze had known each other from Nigeria, but when Nnaji dared to suggest that he had the richer father Ilonze decided to ‘teach him a lesson.’
Ilonze and Oluyemi, 24, both pleaded guilty to two counts of assault occasioning grievous bodily harm and were spared jail at the Old Bailey.
Ilonze came to the UK to study a four-year Masters of Engineering degree at the University of Sussex, and is one year away from completing his course.
His barrister, Tom Hoskins, said that Ilonze faces deportation back to Nigeria if he were given a sentence of more than one year in custody.
Oluyemi, who is training to become an accountant at the same university, is expecting a child in September or October.
His barrister, Johnathan Page, said that the right place for him is at home, preparing for the ‘momentous occasion’, not in prison.
Judge Christine Laing QC spared the ‘cosseted’ pair jail, suspending a one-year custodial sentence for 18 months to give them ‘one last chance.’
The judge said: “Unlike many of the people who pass through the courts, you both come from, effectively, backgrounds of privilege.
“It couldn’t be more childish, effectively an insult on somebody’s parents — who’s got the richer dad — that started this fight.
“You both appear to be incredibly immature, perhaps as a result of being cosseted in your upbringing.”
The judge added that the pair of them, though immature, have ‘much to contribute to society.’
Both Ilonze, who wore a blue suit, and Oluyemi, wearing a grey suit and glasses, thanked the judge for sparing them jail before leaving the Old Bailey dock.
Ilonze, of Hendon, and Oluyemi, of Colindale, North London, admitted two counts of assault occasioning actual bodily harm.
They were each given a one-year prison sentence, suspended for 18 months.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Quitting Super Eagles: Uncovering why Victor Moses takes a bow, premature departure
- Breaking: Victor Moses retires
- Kante: ‘World Cup achievements, beyond my dreams’
- Saraki considers running against Buhari in 2019
- Arthur, the new Barcelona’s Xavi Hernandez
- Ramos mocks Jurgen Klopp’s record in cup finals
- Eden Hazard verus Mesut Ozil ahead of EPL clash
- Guendouzi: Arsenal can win EPL title
- Give us courts to develop beach soccer— Nimrod begs el-Rufai
- Osinbajo to meet NFF President over crisis
- 018 NYG: Team Oyo picks 4 slots at S/west zonal eliminations
- INEC Chairman Presents 2019 INEC Budget To Senate (Photos)
- Landlord Who Led Armed Robbers To Rob Neighbour Arrested
- INEC to feed police with N6bn in 2019 polls
- Experts worry over rising cyber security poverty line in Nigeria
- Driver crushes LASTMA officer
- GTBank to increase loan book by 10%
- Zinedine Zidane is replacing one of the Manchester Clubs
- Student Who Scored 364 In JAMB Receives N5m Cash (Photo)
- Presidency Speaks On Buhari Extending 10-day London Vacation
- SARS Caught "Extorting Passengers" Despite Osinbajo's Order
- Female Corper Knocked Down By Reckless Driver In Lagos
- Story Of Abuja Wild Forest Where "All Kinds Of Things" Happen
- Oil prices down by 13% over growing US crude inventories
- MTN secures N200bn loan from Diamond bank, 11 others
- Pastor's Wife Attacked For Brutalizing Her Little Maid (Maid)
- Kemi Adeosun's Certificate: SERAP Drags NYSC Boss To Court
- Fraudster Impersonating Nollywood Actor To Defraud People Arrested In Lagos
- 2019: Tinubu tackles Obasanjo
- Police lost 15 operatives to Bandits in two months; families demand compensation
- Investors panic as prices of Bitcoin, others plummet
- Nigeria’s inflation drops again in July
- Update On How 35 Died As Bridge Collapsed In Italy (Photos)
- Buhari To Take Action On New DSS Boss and Daura
- Thief Arrested While Preparing Pepper Soup With Stolen Goat
- The Leadership In Nigeria Today Has Lost Focus - IBB
- 2019: I’m not desperate to be President – Atiku
- Tension in Abuja: US Embassy shuts Visa, Consular Services indefinitely
- Odili, Ekpu @ 70: Of patriarchs and their progenies
- Minister’s certificate forgery scam: SERAP sues NYSC over failure to publish Adeosun’s ‘exemption certificate’