Bring Back Our Girls campaigner, Oby Ezekwesili, has expressed concerns that Nigerian children are getting used to deaths, due to the killings that go on in different parts of the country.
Ezekwesili took to her Twitter handle on Monday to share how the innocence of children has been snatched and their emotions deadened due to the news of death that they hear almost daily.
She warned that the Nigerian society might, one day, pay for not protecting its children.
READ ALSO: I won’t reply el-Rufai, Senator Hunkuyi says
She said; “I remember vividly how, as children, we used to be so shaken about death.
“Then, if we heard news of death of anyone or people, we would cry so hard and be inconsolable. It did not matter whether we knew the dead or not. That was the innocence of childhood. It was healthy.
“There is nothing that gives me profound pain, as the fact that families of those of our citizens now killed daily are actually mostly left on their own to bury their dead.
“They are on their own, while the leaders of government and (the) rest of the society carry on as though all is well.
Ezekwesili added that “the second aspect of my profound pain at the killings that happen daily is the effect it has on children.
“The normalising of killings has fast desensitised even our little ones. There is a hard edge that is not childlike in the Nigerian children who now see death as common.
“I am afraid that our society will long pay for the deadened emotions that frequent news of killings of citizens that our children are becoming accustomed to hearing without as much as a flinch anymore.
“I have been observing the children around me and this worries me much.
“We cannot watch on as our children become used to the idea that killings are a “normal occurrence” in Nigeria.
“Ah. How can it be? We are losing our children as they lost that childhood innocence that is healthy for accumulating any society’s social capital. It breaks me.”
She warned that “the greatest disservice that Nigerian president is doing Nigerians is to not have solutions to these daily killings.
“The greater disservice is his coldness in the face of the killings. President Buhari is, by his emotional dissonance, killing the childhood innocence of our Nigerian children.
“I refuse to accept these killings as our new normal. No!”
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Drama As Lagos Assembly Claims Ignorance Of Ambode's 2019 Budget
- Rivers APC Case: Supreme Court's Position
- Story Of UNILAG Graduate Turned Suspected Serial R*pist
- Dino Melaye Shares First Picture After Release From Custody
- Faces Of Car-snatching Syndicate Busted By The Police
- Suspected Ritualist Lynched For Allegedly Eating Faeces
- Obasanjo Trends Over Letter To Buhari... Tinubu, Others Hit Him
- Two Men Break Into Redeemed Church, Steal Church Property
- APC Leaders Are Liars, Reject Them - Atiku
- Nigerian Footballer Sodje & Brothers Jailed In UK For Fraud
- Dino Melaye Detained By Police As They File Fresh Charges
- How I Gave Fayose $5m Cash From Security Fund - Obanikoro
- Just Imagine! This Man Spent 45 Years Of His Life In Prison For A Crime He Didn't Commit
- DAILY INSPIRATION FOR POSITIVE LIVING
- Tradermoni: Aso Rock fires back at Obasanjo
- Cardiff captain, 45 minutes away from death
- Court Stops Buhari, AGF From Removing CJN Onnoghen
- OMG! Man 'Beats Wife To Death' Just 2 Weeks After Giving Birth In Rivers State
- New IGP Adamu Disbands FSARS, Takes More Actions
- Lagos lawmakers snub Ambode over budget presentation
- Gattuso furious with Higuain
- Industrial court reinforces restraining order against CCT
- My takeaways from Atiku’s trip to US
- Emery: Its too late to reverse Ramsey decision
- Court restricts EFCC, DSS, Police from arresting Fani-kayode and Odumakin
- Rabiot ready to sue PSG amidst ‘indefinite bench role
- Customs Command exceeds target, generates N23.5bn in 2018
- Rashford future so bright, says England manager
- Ibrahimovic: I will play as long as I can
- Banks biggest industry for corruption in Nigeria, says Ogala
- HEDA drags Fashola to EFCC over alleged diversion of $600mn Mambilla fund
- US warns of Boko Haram attack during 2019 elections
- Sen. Shehu Sani scolds El-Rufai
- 2019: SERAP advocates scrapping of security votes, immunity
- Imo 2019: Activist raises alarm over alleged plot to rig Governorship election
- Dangote assures Nigerians of timely completion of refinery
- Lagos approves new guidelines for building of petrol stations
- Breaking: IGP disbands Federal SARS
- Obanikoro testifies against Fayose over money laundering
- Buhari’s TraderMoni initiative idiotic, says Obasanjo