Bring Back Our Girls campaigner, Oby Ezekwesili, has expressed concerns that Nigerian children are getting used to deaths, due to the killings that go on in different parts of the country.
Ezekwesili took to her Twitter handle on Monday to share how the innocence of children has been snatched and their emotions deadened due to the news of death that they hear almost daily.
She warned that the Nigerian society might, one day, pay for not protecting its children.
READ ALSO: I won’t reply el-Rufai, Senator Hunkuyi says
She said; “I remember vividly how, as children, we used to be so shaken about death.
“Then, if we heard news of death of anyone or people, we would cry so hard and be inconsolable. It did not matter whether we knew the dead or not. That was the innocence of childhood. It was healthy.
“There is nothing that gives me profound pain, as the fact that families of those of our citizens now killed daily are actually mostly left on their own to bury their dead.
“They are on their own, while the leaders of government and (the) rest of the society carry on as though all is well.
Ezekwesili added that “the second aspect of my profound pain at the killings that happen daily is the effect it has on children.
“The normalising of killings has fast desensitised even our little ones. There is a hard edge that is not childlike in the Nigerian children who now see death as common.
“I am afraid that our society will long pay for the deadened emotions that frequent news of killings of citizens that our children are becoming accustomed to hearing without as much as a flinch anymore.
“I have been observing the children around me and this worries me much.
“We cannot watch on as our children become used to the idea that killings are a “normal occurrence” in Nigeria.
“Ah. How can it be? We are losing our children as they lost that childhood innocence that is healthy for accumulating any society’s social capital. It breaks me.”
She warned that “the greatest disservice that Nigerian president is doing Nigerians is to not have solutions to these daily killings.
“The greater disservice is his coldness in the face of the killings. President Buhari is, by his emotional dissonance, killing the childhood innocence of our Nigerian children.
“I refuse to accept these killings as our new normal. No!”
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Osun United crash Rovers FC 1-0 at NNL
- Ambode holds press conference to herald 2019 race
- See How Worshipers Held Their Sunday Service After Church Got Submerged By Flood (Photos)
- Photos Of GEJ, His Daughter, Faith, Her Husband & Grandkids
- Ekiti boiling with emotion as Fayose faces EFCC October 15
- Amuwo Odofin constituents cry out over alleged stolen mandate, task Tinubu
- INEC Under Pressure To Return "Buhari's Sister" Amina Zakari To Head Operations?
- Pretty Lady, Anita Shot Dead In Front Of Her House In Abuja
- Meet The Man Behind Gov Ganduje's Leaked $5m Bribery Clip
- Buhari’ll Win South-East Despite Obi’s Nomination – Okorocha's Son-in-Law
- Leaked Video Of Governor 'Receiving Bribe': Kano Govt. Reacts
- Suspected Robber Arrested 5 Days After Release From Prison
- Falana, Others To Buhari: Withdraw That Travel Ban Order
- We'll Support PDP in 2019 Because of Peter Obi - Ndigbo Youths assure Atiku
- Bride Looking Unhappy At Her Wedding
- Coach Paul Aigbogu denies link to Akwa United job
- Sarri’s Touchline Chat with Klopp revealed
- Atiku and Peter Obi at Obi Of Onitsha's Palace
- Fayose Ends Tenure In Tears, Heads To Abuja To Face EFCC
- I Stole Because Of My Girlfriend's Upkeep — Jobless Youth
- OMG! This Beautiful Lady May Be Killed Today By Boko Haram
- Buhari Excluded Omisore, Obanikoro From Travel Ban List?
- Mother Breaks Her Son’s Head Over N50 Meal In Lagos (Pics)
- Accept Peter Obi as Atiku’s VP, Jonathan tells Igbo PDP leaders
- Go To Court If You Like - Presidency tells critics of Travel Ban
- Truck Driver Loses Control, Crushes Married Woman To Death
- The Rise Of Peter Obi
- Okonjo-Iweala Debunks Reports Of Endorsing Buhari
- I Never Took A Dime From Any Political Candidate - Oyedepo
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Travel ban: Atiku, Falana whack Buhari
- Ighalo redeems his image in Super Eagles
- Patrick Baumann,rising star in Olympic circles, dies at 51
- Nigerian Army football team wins National League, gains promotion
- 60,000 children die yearly of Diarrhea in Nigeria, says WaterAid
- 2019: Buhari begins massive clampdown on opposition
- Crawford retains WBO Welterweight title against Jose Benavidez Jr
- Atiku Reacts To Buhari's Controversial Travel Ban List
- Why I reconciled Atiku with Obasanjo- Sheikh Gumi
- Top NPFL stars YSFON U-18, set for AMAPRO 2018