I was going to call this: ‘Politicians Say the Darndest Things’ based on President Muhammadu Buhari’s reported comments that he wasn’t thinking about politics but focused on security and the economy. The article was coming along nicely. I had managed to convince or intimidate those who refuse to be convinced that the President was speaking the truth, that there was no doubt his entire focus is on the economy and security. Contrary to what some naysayers would have us believe, Nigeria is reaping bountifully from these concerted efforts on economy and security.
Then the news broke that suspended APC Senator Ovie Omo-Agege, (representing Delta Central Senatorial District) had invaded the National Assembly with or without the help of thugs and taken the mace. The videos as seen in all the TV stations do show the man walking towards the mace flanked by people who looked like thugs. Then, the magic happened. However, I like that Senator Shehu Sani managed to convince his colleagues to continue sitting, first offering his belt until the spare mace was brought in.
As someone who lived in Lagos for 17 years, if anyone introduced themselves to me as Omo Agege, I’ll be a little wary of that person. It’s like being called Omo jaguda. Apologies to all the decent and law-abiding people of Agege. Now, I haven’t been to Agege in a few years; so, I’m just going with my pre-2005 Agege, where life was rugged and there were quite a few colourful characters from that part of Lagos.
What’s in a name, you ask? Well, it so happens that Ovie Omo-Agege has become extra famous. I imagine before now, he must have attracted some attention because of things like Agege bread, etc. Have you seen the memes? The man has been nicknamed The Mace Runner. This is a tailor-made Nollywood film with Mr. Ibu as lead. Just imagine Mr. Ibu running with the mace, certified blockbuster, I tell you.
Some witty person online has even managed to change the slang “Warri No Dey Carry Last” to “Warri No Dey Carry Last, Na Mace Dem Dey Carry.”
…Politicians Still Say the Darndest Things
The brouhaha from the alleged Omo-Agege stunt had hardly died down when our president released another quotable quote while addressing the Commonwealth Heads of Government meeting in the UK: “More than 60 per cent of the population is below 30. A lot of them haven’t been to school and they are claiming that Nigeria is an oil producing country; therefore, they should sit and do nothing, and get housing, health care, education for free.”
To tell you the truth, I have no words or the now popular phrase: I can’t deal. The best reaction has to be cartoonist, Mike Asukwo’s: “If wishes were power bikes, every jobless Nigerian youth would ride.” You can laugh/cry, if you get the joke.
President Buhari was only keeping to his modus operandi whenever he travels outside of Nigeria. It’s like something in the air abroad, the 24-hour electricity, the Boko Haram-free environment, or the absence of herdsmen. There’s something. I don’t believe it’s just because he was far from his handlers. Not to mention the fact that some of these handlers have called Nigerians worse names.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from PUNCH.
Contact: [email protected]
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Drama As Lagos Assembly Claims Ignorance Of Ambode's 2019 Budget
- Rivers APC Case: Supreme Court's Position
- Story Of UNILAG Graduate Turned Suspected Serial R*pist
- Dino Melaye Shares First Picture After Release From Custody
- Faces Of Car-snatching Syndicate Busted By The Police
- Suspected Ritualist Lynched For Allegedly Eating Faeces
- Obasanjo Trends Over Letter To Buhari... Tinubu, Others Hit Him
- Two Men Break Into Redeemed Church, Steal Church Property
- APC Leaders Are Liars, Reject Them - Atiku
- Nigerian Footballer Sodje & Brothers Jailed In UK For Fraud
- Dino Melaye Detained By Police As They File Fresh Charges
- How I Gave Fayose $5m Cash From Security Fund - Obanikoro
- Just Imagine! This Man Spent 45 Years Of His Life In Prison For A Crime He Didn't Commit
- DAILY INSPIRATION FOR POSITIVE LIVING
- Tradermoni: Aso Rock fires back at Obasanjo
- Cardiff captain, 45 minutes away from death
- Court Stops Buhari, AGF From Removing CJN Onnoghen
- OMG! Man 'Beats Wife To Death' Just 2 Weeks After Giving Birth In Rivers State
- New IGP Adamu Disbands FSARS, Takes More Actions
- Lagos lawmakers snub Ambode over budget presentation
- Gattuso furious with Higuain
- Industrial court reinforces restraining order against CCT
- My takeaways from Atiku’s trip to US
- Emery: Its too late to reverse Ramsey decision
- Court restricts EFCC, DSS, Police from arresting Fani-kayode and Odumakin
- Rabiot ready to sue PSG amidst ‘indefinite bench role
- Customs Command exceeds target, generates N23.5bn in 2018
- Rashford future so bright, says England manager
- Ibrahimovic: I will play as long as I can
- Banks biggest industry for corruption in Nigeria, says Ogala
- HEDA drags Fashola to EFCC over alleged diversion of $600mn Mambilla fund
- US warns of Boko Haram attack during 2019 elections
- Sen. Shehu Sani scolds El-Rufai
- 2019: SERAP advocates scrapping of security votes, immunity
- Imo 2019: Activist raises alarm over alleged plot to rig Governorship election
- Dangote assures Nigerians of timely completion of refinery
- Lagos approves new guidelines for building of petrol stations
- Breaking: IGP disbands Federal SARS
- Obanikoro testifies against Fayose over money laundering
- Buhari’s TraderMoni initiative idiotic, says Obasanjo