I was going to call this: ‘Politicians Say the Darndest Things’ based on President Muhammadu Buhari’s reported comments that he wasn’t thinking about politics but focused on security and the economy. The article was coming along nicely. I had managed to convince or intimidate those who refuse to be convinced that the President was speaking the truth, that there was no doubt his entire focus is on the economy and security. Contrary to what some naysayers would have us believe, Nigeria is reaping bountifully from these concerted efforts on economy and security.
Then the news broke that suspended APC Senator Ovie Omo-Agege, (representing Delta Central Senatorial District) had invaded the National Assembly with or without the help of thugs and taken the mace. The videos as seen in all the TV stations do show the man walking towards the mace flanked by people who looked like thugs. Then, the magic happened. However, I like that Senator Shehu Sani managed to convince his colleagues to continue sitting, first offering his belt until the spare mace was brought in.
As someone who lived in Lagos for 17 years, if anyone introduced themselves to me as Omo Agege, I’ll be a little wary of that person. It’s like being called Omo jaguda. Apologies to all the decent and law-abiding people of Agege. Now, I haven’t been to Agege in a few years; so, I’m just going with my pre-2005 Agege, where life was rugged and there were quite a few colourful characters from that part of Lagos.
What’s in a name, you ask? Well, it so happens that Ovie Omo-Agege has become extra famous. I imagine before now, he must have attracted some attention because of things like Agege bread, etc. Have you seen the memes? The man has been nicknamed The Mace Runner. This is a tailor-made Nollywood film with Mr. Ibu as lead. Just imagine Mr. Ibu running with the mace, certified blockbuster, I tell you.
Some witty person online has even managed to change the slang “Warri No Dey Carry Last” to “Warri No Dey Carry Last, Na Mace Dem Dey Carry.”
…Politicians Still Say the Darndest Things
The brouhaha from the alleged Omo-Agege stunt had hardly died down when our president released another quotable quote while addressing the Commonwealth Heads of Government meeting in the UK: “More than 60 per cent of the population is below 30. A lot of them haven’t been to school and they are claiming that Nigeria is an oil producing country; therefore, they should sit and do nothing, and get housing, health care, education for free.”
To tell you the truth, I have no words or the now popular phrase: I can’t deal. The best reaction has to be cartoonist, Mike Asukwo’s: “If wishes were power bikes, every jobless Nigerian youth would ride.” You can laugh/cry, if you get the joke.
President Buhari was only keeping to his modus operandi whenever he travels outside of Nigeria. It’s like something in the air abroad, the 24-hour electricity, the Boko Haram-free environment, or the absence of herdsmen. There’s something. I don’t believe it’s just because he was far from his handlers. Not to mention the fact that some of these handlers have called Nigerians worse names.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from PUNCH.
Contact: [email protected]
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Nigeria’s democracy under threat, says Moghalu
- CBN floods economy with lower Naira denominations
- Saraki declares for 2019
- Israeli PM in corruption scandal
- Lagos State Govt denies privatising water supply
- Sales of pre-registered SIM cards boom despite fines
- I promise better welfare ahead of NWPL resumption –Hon. Odunlade
- Falconets eliminated from World Cup
- FIFA rejects Dalung’s ministerial visit offer
- Dollar depreciates against Naira at parallel market
- INEC Releases 2019 General Elections Notice In Lagos
- I'm An Experienced Job Creator - Atiku
- GEJ To Nigerians: Don't Despair In The Face Of Persecution
- PHOTOS: Bayelsa International Airport Almost Ready
- Corporate Keke Driver Customizes His Keke With Cups Of Sweets For Passengers
- US-based Nigerian Man Stabbed To Death By His Lover's Ex
- Nigeria Police To Be Decentralized
- Man Sentenced To Death For Killing Pregnant Wife Over N1000
- Young Robbers Terrorizing Delta Nabbed By Security Operatives
- Photo Of Saraki and His Beautiful Daughters
- Meet Nigeria's Strongest Man As He Shares Secret Of His Success
- Lady Makes Shocking Revelations: My abductors butchered people for rituals
- Many Sleeping At INEC Office In Lagos Just To Get PVC
- Ayefele fans, workers protest planned demolition of radio station
- Faces Of Suspected Homos*xuals Arrested In Hotel Room
- Deadlock In National Assembly Over N189bn Budget For INEC
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Best Destinations For Your First International Trip
- Woman Lies In The Middle Of The Road To Protest Non-Payment Of 13 Months Salary
- Bank Staff Arrested For Fraud On His Wedding Day In Lagos
- Married Woman Committing Adultery Dies After S*x
- Yinka Ayefele Sues Oyo Government Over Building Demolition
- Akpabio Runs To Court, Stops Saraki From Declaring Seat Vacant
- Little Man Rocks NYSC Kit In Style
- New Minimum Wage: We Weren't Elected Just To Pay Salaries - Governors
- Protest At Police Headquarters Abuja Over Detention of Premium Times Journalist
- Soldiers Kill Notorious Bandit, Sani Danbuzuwa During Shoot Out
- Security vote: Governors challenge Buhari, EFCC
- Here is how much FG recovered from whistle blowers
- Philipp Lahm heads Germany bid to host Euro 2024 tournament