– The new operation is expected to last for 4 months and it will entail deployment of 6 additional manoeuvre brigades and other critical assets in Borno state
– Operation LAST HOLD will also ensure the destruction of Boko Haram terrorist camps and strong points in Lake Chad Basin
The Chief of Army Staff, Lt Gen Tukur Buratai on Friday, April 20, said the Nigerian Army would commence Operation LAST HOLD in northern Borno and parts of Lake Chad Basin to complete the decimation of the Boko Haram terrorists.
NAIJ.com gathered that Buratai who was represented by Major General David D Ahmadu, the chief of training and operations at a press briefing at the Army Headquarters, Abuja, said the operation would commence on the May 1 and end by August 31.
However, Ahmadu says the new operation would ensure the total destruction of Boko Haram terrorist camps and strong points in the Lake Chad Basin.
“The design is to deploy personnel and equipment to showcase the combat efficiency of the NA and thereafter conduct operations to totally destroy Boko Haram locations in the Lake Chad Basin,” he said
Read the full statement below:
“You may recall that the Nigerian Army has been engaged in the conduct of counter insurgency operation tagged Operation LAFIYA DOLE in the North East region for some years with considerable successes.
However, the complex and adaptive nature of the Boko Haram insurgency has resulted in the dissident group still sometimes being engaged in abductions, attack on soft targets, Improvised Explosive Device attacks and bombings.
It has become expedient for the Nigerian Army to change operating tactics, techniques and procedure in the North East region. Accordingly, the Nigerian Army Day Celebration (NADCEL) 2018 will be commemorated with the conduct of an operation tagged Operation LAST HOLD in Northern Borno within the North East Theatre.
The design is to deploy personnel and equipment to showcase the combat efficiency of the NA and thereafter conduct operations to totally destroy Boko Haram locations in the Lake Chad Basin.
Operation LAST HOLD is expected to last for 4 months and it will entail deployment of 6 additional manoeuvre brigades and other critical assets in Borno state.
The operation is intended to facilitate the clearance of the Lake Chad waterways of sea weeds and other obstacles obstructing the movement of boats and people across the water channels. It will also ensure the destruction of Boko Haram Terrorist camps and strong points in the Lake Chad Basin.
The operation will also facilitate the rescue of hostages. The operational end-state of Operation LAST HOLD is the total defeat of the Boko Haram Terrorist Sect. Strategically, the conduct of Operation LAST HOLD will facilitate the restoration of fishing, farming and other economic activities in the Lake Chad Basin. Additionally, it will facilitate the relocation of Internally Displaced Persons from IDP camps to their communities.
Operation LAST HOLD is conceptualised to involve the conduct of population influence activities targeted to improve Civil-Military relations in the North East region. It is pertinent to note that Operation LAST HOLD is set to record remarkable achievements that would make the nation proud of the Nigerian Army’s determination at sustaining its constitutional role of defending the territorial integrity of the nation as well as its commitment to aid the civil authority to bring about peace and security.
In this regard, law abiding members of the public in Northern Borno State are enjoined not to panic as their safety and well-being have been deliberately factored in the operation.
The general public is requested to remain vigilant and be security conscious, as suspected insurgents may be fleeing from military operations in the North East and finding safe haven amidst our communities. The public is also reminded to report any suspicious activity or movement to the nearest military formation or other security agencies for prompt action.”
NAIJ.com previously reported that troops deployed in Exercise Ayem Akpatuma in Taraba state in conjunction with personnel of the Nigeria Police on Saturday, March 31 arrested some criminal elements operating in Mayo Ndaga area of the state.
Items recovered from one of the suspects Amos Titus- 35, include sheets of zinc, bed and locally made pistol.
Other suspects Palat Jafainal- 20 and Kingsley Benson- 25 were also arrested and items recovered from them include generating set, sewing machine as well as sheets of zinc.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- House of Reps reject committee report sympathising with Atiku’s company
- Falana supports Obasanjo
- Shehu Sani tells Nigerians to look at the message of Obasanjo, not the messenger
- Feb: NOA raises red flags in 2 states in southeast, 1 in southwest, southsouth, northcentral each
- Respect rule of law, Osun APC tells Obasanjo
- LASUTH doctors begin strike Jan. 28
- Housewife allegedly beaten to death in Ondo
- Cardiff record signing Sala, on board missing plane says French authorities
- Prophet lynched in Ekiti for eating human faeces with bread
- Retired policeman claims 14-year old as his wife
- Barca completes shock Boateng move
- PDP federal lawmaker defects to APC
- Govt. Shut Down: U.S senate bows under Trump pressure
- Police confiscate 13 houses, 10 cars of kidnapper Collins Ezenwa known as E-Money
- How Trump’s friend facilitated Atiku’s trip to US
- Minimum wage: Council of State approves N30000 for Fed. workers
- Man goes berserk, kills wife, children, 4 others
- High court grants Elzakzaky, wife, access to medical services, adjourns to March 25
- Oshiomhole rubbishes OBJ, Atiku
- Popular Singer buys JAMB forms for 30 students
- ECOWAS, others sets to eliminate child marriage in West Africa
- Obasanjo Laughs With Buhari In Aso Rock Today
- The last of Awo’s cavalrymen
- Obasanjo on new offensive against Buhari
- Investors lose N102bn as NSE All Shares Index declines
- Why 2019 elections will be impossible to rig – INEC
- Again, House of Reps steps down second reading of 2019 Appropriation Bill
- Senate adjourns plenary over absence of Lawmakers
- Barcelona confirm Kevin-Prince Boateng signing
- PSG ordered to include Rabiot in first-team training
- NFF can’t force me to release election forms- Taraba FA Chairman boasts
- 2019: Buhari meets Obasanjo, others at Aso Rock
- Drama As Lagos Assembly Claims Ignorance Of Ambode's 2019 Budget
- Rivers APC Case: Supreme Court's Position
- Story Of UNILAG Graduate Turned Suspected Serial R*pist
- Dino Melaye Shares First Picture After Release From Custody
- Faces Of Car-snatching Syndicate Busted By The Police
- Suspected Ritualist Lynched For Allegedly Eating Faeces
- Obasanjo Trends Over Letter To Buhari... Tinubu, Others Hit Him
- Two Men Break Into Redeemed Church, Steal Church Property