– The new operation is expected to last for 4 months and it will entail deployment of 6 additional manoeuvre brigades and other critical assets in Borno state
– Operation LAST HOLD will also ensure the destruction of Boko Haram terrorist camps and strong points in Lake Chad Basin
The Chief of Army Staff, Lt Gen Tukur Buratai on Friday, April 20, said the Nigerian Army would commence Operation LAST HOLD in northern Borno and parts of Lake Chad Basin to complete the decimation of the Boko Haram terrorists.
NAIJ.com gathered that Buratai who was represented by Major General David D Ahmadu, the chief of training and operations at a press briefing at the Army Headquarters, Abuja, said the operation would commence on the May 1 and end by August 31.
However, Ahmadu says the new operation would ensure the total destruction of Boko Haram terrorist camps and strong points in the Lake Chad Basin.
“The design is to deploy personnel and equipment to showcase the combat efficiency of the NA and thereafter conduct operations to totally destroy Boko Haram locations in the Lake Chad Basin,” he said
Read the full statement below:
“You may recall that the Nigerian Army has been engaged in the conduct of counter insurgency operation tagged Operation LAFIYA DOLE in the North East region for some years with considerable successes.
However, the complex and adaptive nature of the Boko Haram insurgency has resulted in the dissident group still sometimes being engaged in abductions, attack on soft targets, Improvised Explosive Device attacks and bombings.
It has become expedient for the Nigerian Army to change operating tactics, techniques and procedure in the North East region. Accordingly, the Nigerian Army Day Celebration (NADCEL) 2018 will be commemorated with the conduct of an operation tagged Operation LAST HOLD in Northern Borno within the North East Theatre.
The design is to deploy personnel and equipment to showcase the combat efficiency of the NA and thereafter conduct operations to totally destroy Boko Haram locations in the Lake Chad Basin.
Operation LAST HOLD is expected to last for 4 months and it will entail deployment of 6 additional manoeuvre brigades and other critical assets in Borno state.
The operation is intended to facilitate the clearance of the Lake Chad waterways of sea weeds and other obstacles obstructing the movement of boats and people across the water channels. It will also ensure the destruction of Boko Haram Terrorist camps and strong points in the Lake Chad Basin.
The operation will also facilitate the rescue of hostages. The operational end-state of Operation LAST HOLD is the total defeat of the Boko Haram Terrorist Sect. Strategically, the conduct of Operation LAST HOLD will facilitate the restoration of fishing, farming and other economic activities in the Lake Chad Basin. Additionally, it will facilitate the relocation of Internally Displaced Persons from IDP camps to their communities.
Operation LAST HOLD is conceptualised to involve the conduct of population influence activities targeted to improve Civil-Military relations in the North East region. It is pertinent to note that Operation LAST HOLD is set to record remarkable achievements that would make the nation proud of the Nigerian Army’s determination at sustaining its constitutional role of defending the territorial integrity of the nation as well as its commitment to aid the civil authority to bring about peace and security.
In this regard, law abiding members of the public in Northern Borno State are enjoined not to panic as their safety and well-being have been deliberately factored in the operation.
The general public is requested to remain vigilant and be security conscious, as suspected insurgents may be fleeing from military operations in the North East and finding safe haven amidst our communities. The public is also reminded to report any suspicious activity or movement to the nearest military formation or other security agencies for prompt action.”
NAIJ.com previously reported that troops deployed in Exercise Ayem Akpatuma in Taraba state in conjunction with personnel of the Nigeria Police on Saturday, March 31 arrested some criminal elements operating in Mayo Ndaga area of the state.
Items recovered from one of the suspects Amos Titus- 35, include sheets of zinc, bed and locally made pistol.
Other suspects Palat Jafainal- 20 and Kingsley Benson- 25 were also arrested and items recovered from them include generating set, sewing machine as well as sheets of zinc.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Cholera outbreak: Yobe records 223 cases at Mubi Hospital
- Fidelity Bank eyes tier 1 status, unveils 4-year strategic plan
- Aviation sector has improved under Buhari – Unions
- MTN introduces 17-digit recharge PIN
- Best Mediterranean Diet For Weight Loss & Heart Health
- UBA lifts restriction on cash withdrawals abroad, Naira cards
- Grandmother ‘sentenced to death’ for drug trafficking
- Investors shun Banks over rising NPLs
- NSE index dips as bear continues to weigh on stocks
- Naira loses steam, remains stagnant at parallel market
- NBC compounds Okorocha’s woes, shuts down Reach FM
- Obaseki stalls bail condition for PDP leader – Nehikhare
- Ambode receives Leadership Award
- I don’t want this player against Liverpool, Ronaldo tells Zidane
- Role-for-sex stories: From Richard Akindele, Bill Cosby to Morgan Freeman
- Regnar, Aiden,Liam: Fani-Kayode’s latest triplets
- Movie producer accused of rape, sex abuse surrenders to Police
- Kebbi Governor, Bagudu, leads APC 77-member campaign squad for Ekiti governorship election
- No PVC, No Sex: Women to demand ‘gate-fee’ before succumbing to their husbands in bed
- How Peter Obi touched my heart
- Ronaldinho opens up on planned marriage to 2 girls same day in August
- What Klopp’s Liverpool have in common with Fergie’s United
- Behold, new coaches across clubs
- Liverpool Transfer: Shaming Suarez, Coutinho
- What’s new about Pochettino
- Aubameyang’s anti-Wenger statement
- Bad news for Real Madrid
- Salah dominates Liverpool vs Real Madrid combined XI
- Trouble in Liverpool’s camp
- SARS Officer Killed 10 Days After His Wedding (Photos)
- How To Kill SIN In Your Life To Avoid Destruction
- FACTS: Only $8b Released Between Obasanjo & Buhari for Power, there's no $16b
- Twin Brothers, Naval Officer Arrested For Robbery, R*ping
- Billionaire Businesswoman Alakija: My staff defrauded me millions
- FG Has Not Awarded Contract For 2nd Niger Bridge?
- I'm Privileged To Sleep In The Same Prison Bed Used By Obasanjo - Senator Jang
- Here Are Foods That Can Make You Age Faster
- 'Herdsmen' Slaughter Two People Returning From Catholic Priests' Burial?
- Peace Corps Bill Fails As House Of Reps Refuse To Veto Buhari
- Buhari Drops Okiro From Police Service Commission; Replaced By Ex-IGP Smith