– The new operation is expected to last for 4 months and it will entail deployment of 6 additional manoeuvre brigades and other critical assets in Borno state
– Operation LAST HOLD will also ensure the destruction of Boko Haram terrorist camps and strong points in Lake Chad Basin
The Chief of Army Staff, Lt Gen Tukur Buratai on Friday, April 20, said the Nigerian Army would commence Operation LAST HOLD in northern Borno and parts of Lake Chad Basin to complete the decimation of the Boko Haram terrorists.
NAIJ.com gathered that Buratai who was represented by Major General David D Ahmadu, the chief of training and operations at a press briefing at the Army Headquarters, Abuja, said the operation would commence on the May 1 and end by August 31.
However, Ahmadu says the new operation would ensure the total destruction of Boko Haram terrorist camps and strong points in the Lake Chad Basin.
“The design is to deploy personnel and equipment to showcase the combat efficiency of the NA and thereafter conduct operations to totally destroy Boko Haram locations in the Lake Chad Basin,” he said
Read the full statement below:
“You may recall that the Nigerian Army has been engaged in the conduct of counter insurgency operation tagged Operation LAFIYA DOLE in the North East region for some years with considerable successes.
However, the complex and adaptive nature of the Boko Haram insurgency has resulted in the dissident group still sometimes being engaged in abductions, attack on soft targets, Improvised Explosive Device attacks and bombings.
It has become expedient for the Nigerian Army to change operating tactics, techniques and procedure in the North East region. Accordingly, the Nigerian Army Day Celebration (NADCEL) 2018 will be commemorated with the conduct of an operation tagged Operation LAST HOLD in Northern Borno within the North East Theatre.
The design is to deploy personnel and equipment to showcase the combat efficiency of the NA and thereafter conduct operations to totally destroy Boko Haram locations in the Lake Chad Basin.
Operation LAST HOLD is expected to last for 4 months and it will entail deployment of 6 additional manoeuvre brigades and other critical assets in Borno state.
The operation is intended to facilitate the clearance of the Lake Chad waterways of sea weeds and other obstacles obstructing the movement of boats and people across the water channels. It will also ensure the destruction of Boko Haram Terrorist camps and strong points in the Lake Chad Basin.
The operation will also facilitate the rescue of hostages. The operational end-state of Operation LAST HOLD is the total defeat of the Boko Haram Terrorist Sect. Strategically, the conduct of Operation LAST HOLD will facilitate the restoration of fishing, farming and other economic activities in the Lake Chad Basin. Additionally, it will facilitate the relocation of Internally Displaced Persons from IDP camps to their communities.
Operation LAST HOLD is conceptualised to involve the conduct of population influence activities targeted to improve Civil-Military relations in the North East region. It is pertinent to note that Operation LAST HOLD is set to record remarkable achievements that would make the nation proud of the Nigerian Army’s determination at sustaining its constitutional role of defending the territorial integrity of the nation as well as its commitment to aid the civil authority to bring about peace and security.
In this regard, law abiding members of the public in Northern Borno State are enjoined not to panic as their safety and well-being have been deliberately factored in the operation.
The general public is requested to remain vigilant and be security conscious, as suspected insurgents may be fleeing from military operations in the North East and finding safe haven amidst our communities. The public is also reminded to report any suspicious activity or movement to the nearest military formation or other security agencies for prompt action.”
NAIJ.com previously reported that troops deployed in Exercise Ayem Akpatuma in Taraba state in conjunction with personnel of the Nigeria Police on Saturday, March 31 arrested some criminal elements operating in Mayo Ndaga area of the state.
Items recovered from one of the suspects Amos Titus- 35, include sheets of zinc, bed and locally made pistol.
Other suspects Palat Jafainal- 20 and Kingsley Benson- 25 were also arrested and items recovered from them include generating set, sewing machine as well as sheets of zinc.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Nigerian Man, Okoloko Sworn In As Judge In US (Photos)
- How APC, Presidency Dribble Shehu Sani - Senator Ben Bruce
- Woman Leading Kidnap & Robbery Gang Finally Arrested
- Atiku Agrees To Give Office Of SGF To Yorubas
- Angry DPO Brutalises Innocent Man For Causing His Transfer
- Fayose In Lagos, Ready For His Court Trial Today
- I Won't Come Back To Face Trial In Court, says Nnamdi Kanu
- Senior Female Police Officer Kidnapped In Broad Daylight?
- Aisha Buhari Stops Oshiomhole From Entering Their House?
- How God Saved A Yong Lady From Ritualists
- Peter Obi Visits Ohaneze Ndigbo President (Photos)
- Update On Pastor Whose Corpse Was Found With Friend and A Married Woman
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Ooni's New Wife Called Herself A "Queen" Over A Year Ago
- What gas flaring costs Nigeria annually- Expert
- Atiku courts Southwest with SGF slot
- How Atiku betrayed Ekweremadu, others
- Labour to embark on another nationwide strike
- Photos Of Fayose At The Airport
- Oshiomhole Cries Out: Powerful Forces Want Me Out Of APC
- "Only Buhari Can Fire Me" - Suspended NHIS Boss Insists
- Man Finds Out His Wife Got Pregnant For 4 Men; DNA Shows He's Not The Father Of Their 4 Kids
- Yahoo Boy Kills Policeman While Trying To Evade Arrest In Delta
- Ex-Chief Justice of Nigeria Idris Kutigi Dies In London Hospital
- I Will Still Contest In 2019 - Senator Shehu Sani
- Fayose Leaves EFCC Office As He Flies To Lagos
- Nigerian Man Weds Beautiful Oyinbo Woman In Style (Photos)
- Buhari Reacts To Killing Of 55 People In Kaduna Violence
- PHOTOS: Nigerian Woman Gives Birth To First Child At 67
- Ambode In Trouble? Plot To Impeach Him Hots Up
- Questions Reuters, Aljazeera, the Economist, AP, others ask Lai about Atiku, PDP
- Omawumi Describes Buhari As "Incompetent Old Man"
- PDP Says Female Appeal Court President Is Close To APC
- Police Officers’ Wives Rescued From Deadly Kidnappers
- PDP Headquarters Gives Tambuwal Sokoto Guber Ticket
- Nigerian Prince Weds 2 Ladies Same Day In Delta (Photos)
- Obanikoro, 16 Others To Testify Against Fayose (DETAILS)
- Mbaka To Atiku: Don't Be Like Buhari If You Become President
- Tonto Dikeh's Sister Drinks Hypo To End Her Life?
- After working for APC; Omisore, Obanikoro, get their passports from EFCC