– The new operation is expected to last for 4 months and it will entail deployment of 6 additional manoeuvre brigades and other critical assets in Borno state
– Operation LAST HOLD will also ensure the destruction of Boko Haram terrorist camps and strong points in Lake Chad Basin
The Chief of Army Staff, Lt Gen Tukur Buratai on Friday, April 20, said the Nigerian Army would commence Operation LAST HOLD in northern Borno and parts of Lake Chad Basin to complete the decimation of the Boko Haram terrorists.
NAIJ.com gathered that Buratai who was represented by Major General David D Ahmadu, the chief of training and operations at a press briefing at the Army Headquarters, Abuja, said the operation would commence on the May 1 and end by August 31.
However, Ahmadu says the new operation would ensure the total destruction of Boko Haram terrorist camps and strong points in the Lake Chad Basin.
“The design is to deploy personnel and equipment to showcase the combat efficiency of the NA and thereafter conduct operations to totally destroy Boko Haram locations in the Lake Chad Basin,” he said
Read the full statement below:
“You may recall that the Nigerian Army has been engaged in the conduct of counter insurgency operation tagged Operation LAFIYA DOLE in the North East region for some years with considerable successes.
However, the complex and adaptive nature of the Boko Haram insurgency has resulted in the dissident group still sometimes being engaged in abductions, attack on soft targets, Improvised Explosive Device attacks and bombings.
It has become expedient for the Nigerian Army to change operating tactics, techniques and procedure in the North East region. Accordingly, the Nigerian Army Day Celebration (NADCEL) 2018 will be commemorated with the conduct of an operation tagged Operation LAST HOLD in Northern Borno within the North East Theatre.
The design is to deploy personnel and equipment to showcase the combat efficiency of the NA and thereafter conduct operations to totally destroy Boko Haram locations in the Lake Chad Basin.
Operation LAST HOLD is expected to last for 4 months and it will entail deployment of 6 additional manoeuvre brigades and other critical assets in Borno state.
The operation is intended to facilitate the clearance of the Lake Chad waterways of sea weeds and other obstacles obstructing the movement of boats and people across the water channels. It will also ensure the destruction of Boko Haram Terrorist camps and strong points in the Lake Chad Basin.
The operation will also facilitate the rescue of hostages. The operational end-state of Operation LAST HOLD is the total defeat of the Boko Haram Terrorist Sect. Strategically, the conduct of Operation LAST HOLD will facilitate the restoration of fishing, farming and other economic activities in the Lake Chad Basin. Additionally, it will facilitate the relocation of Internally Displaced Persons from IDP camps to their communities.
Operation LAST HOLD is conceptualised to involve the conduct of population influence activities targeted to improve Civil-Military relations in the North East region. It is pertinent to note that Operation LAST HOLD is set to record remarkable achievements that would make the nation proud of the Nigerian Army’s determination at sustaining its constitutional role of defending the territorial integrity of the nation as well as its commitment to aid the civil authority to bring about peace and security.
In this regard, law abiding members of the public in Northern Borno State are enjoined not to panic as their safety and well-being have been deliberately factored in the operation.
The general public is requested to remain vigilant and be security conscious, as suspected insurgents may be fleeing from military operations in the North East and finding safe haven amidst our communities. The public is also reminded to report any suspicious activity or movement to the nearest military formation or other security agencies for prompt action.”
NAIJ.com previously reported that troops deployed in Exercise Ayem Akpatuma in Taraba state in conjunction with personnel of the Nigeria Police on Saturday, March 31 arrested some criminal elements operating in Mayo Ndaga area of the state.
Items recovered from one of the suspects Amos Titus- 35, include sheets of zinc, bed and locally made pistol.
Other suspects Palat Jafainal- 20 and Kingsley Benson- 25 were also arrested and items recovered from them include generating set, sewing machine as well as sheets of zinc.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- 2019: I’m not desperate to be President – Atiku
- Tension in Abuja: US Embassy shuts Visa, Consular Services indefinitely
- Odili, Ekpu @ 70: Of patriarchs and their progenies
- Minister’s certificate forgery scam: SERAP sues NYSC over failure to publish Adeosun’s ‘exemption certificate’
- Saraki, Dogara Reveal Why They're Not Reconvening NASS
- Man Who Abducted Lagos Schoolgirl Who's Sold Into Pros-titution Arrested, Opens Up
- Uber Driver Nabbed For Beating Up 'Runs Girl' In Lagos After S*x
- 2019: I’m Qualified, Not Desperate To Be President - Atiku
- Man Steals Company’s Products To Pay Medical Bill Of Wife
- SARAKI's TIME IS UP - Oshiomhole insists, gives strong condition
- Hacks For Dealing With Smelly Feet
- Female Corper Cries As Political Thugs Kidnap Her For Refusing To Rig Election
- Oba Of Benin Arrives Abuja In His Rolls Royce and Private Jet
- 2019: Presidency Reacts To "Pressure" On Buhari Not To Run
- Lecturer Sent To Prison For R*ping His Wife Sister's Daughter
- Saraki's Refusal To Reconvene NASS Generates Serious Tension
- Woman Who Survived Rivers Boat Accident: "I Have Nightmares Every Night"
- After Begging For Obasanjo's Support In 2015, Tinubu Says "OBJ Can't Tell Us Who To Vote"
- Family Man Serving Life Sentence Begins Master’s Programme
- IGP Obeys Osinbajo's Order, Begins Nationwide Overhaul of SARS
- The Truth About ‘Huge Debts’ Oshiomhole Left For Me - Obaseki
- Flood Takes Over Houses In Lekki After Heavy Rainfall (Photos)
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Aruna wins ITTF 2018 Nigeria Open
- Bayelsa State league draws completed
- FIFA to Ban Nigeria on August 20
- Ahmed Musa nets winner for Al Nassr on his debut in Saudi Arabia
- London, Turkey trips awaits fresh players —Waheed
- FIFA to ban Ghana over government court case against GFA
- U-18,U-20 male handball emerged winner
- Ghanaian undercover journalist Anas ,colleagues escape lynching in Malawi
- We are disappointed, but this game will help us grow —Cech
- Only NFF recognized by CAF,FIFA can sack me —Sanusi insists
- Barca’s Bartomeu leaves door Open to Pogba signing
- Rising Tension in Presidency: Uncertainty over National Assembly reconvening to consider INEC Budget
- Minister Dalung: A Huge Disservice to the Sports Industry
- Messi sets new Barca Trophy record
- Defection trauma: Akpabio battles for survival
- Breaking: Police boss overhauls SARS
- Touching Story Of 25yrs Old Man Trapped In A Little Child's Body