New York Times' Dionne Searcey and photographer, Adam Ferguson had one mission: to portray the ex-victims of Boko Haram through a series of portraits in a dignified manner, as the young women they had become. For so long, the girls' images to the world had just been them as teenagers in dark robes with sad faces.
Dionne and Adam made the journey to Abuja to try to persuade the government to let them meet and photograph the girls. As many of us can imagine, it was a long, difficult process. The girls were still being remanded in government custody for questioning in order to gain information about the 100+ girls still missing and to make sure that they had no lingering loyalties to the terrorist group.
Finally, the government consented and Adam was finally allowed to take pictures of any of the ex-hostages who consented. He shot all 83 images in one day. He also took pictures of 18 girls who surrendered to the authorities rather than blow themselves up with the suicide bombs that Boko Haram had strapped to them.
For many people, these portraits are just photographs. But for the girls and their families, it's an opportunity to see themselves in a whole new light. To reclaim their dignity. They're not victims anymore, they're now survivors.
It has long been recognised that artforms like photography can have potential healing and therapeutic effects. Many people have used photography as a form of personal therapy to help them feel better about themselves and improve their lives. And for these girls who have been through such awful experiences, anything that will help is welcome. Plus they look so beautiful!
You can view the rest of their photos here.
Tech and politics. Is there even a difference between the two?
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Garba Shehu attacks lawmakers, civil servants, security agencies, PDP heckling Buhari govt.
- Replicate seamless political transition in Lagos nationwide, Ekwunife tells APC
- Beautiful Lady Celebrates After Graduating As A Private Pilot
- Policemen Disgrace Civil Defence Officer, Bundle Him Into Van
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle wed in style
- More Confusion In APC As Party's State Congresses Get Ugly
- Top Four Affordable Phones Anyone Can Buy
- Air Force launches rocket attacks against Boko Haram, kills many
- Saraki, Dogara, Kwankwaso, Others Get Secret Deal From PDP?
- 21 Ex-governors, deputies still earning double salaries as Senators, Ministers
- Kaduna LG Poll: APC Wins 14; PDP 4 chairs
- Police parades three fake currency dealer suspects
- Ogun Assembly passes resolution to establish dump sites across LGAs
- There ‘ll be religious war in Nigeria if.. – CAN
- We ‘ll continue to resist anti-grazing law – Herdsmen
- How To Help Build Your Marriage Even If Your Spouse Is Difficult
- Woman in custody fight carries 7-yr-old son, jumps from top of 25-story building
- Dogs named Harry, Maeghan have own royal wedding too
- Yahoo Boys’ New Tactics of Evading Arrest
- Woman lures boy to abduct little girl during church service
- Falana, Others React to Saraki's Face Off with Police Headquarters over "Killer Squad"
- Court strips indebted Sen. Oduah of all assets, funds in 14 businesses across Lagos, Abuja
- Self-Defence Call: What CSOs, NHRC, military officers, others write in panel report on Danjuma allegation
- Nigeria appointed chair of Anti-Corruption Agencies in Commonwealth Africa
- Imo: Okorocha reveals why Oyegun takes side with ememies to rock APC
- Murder Suspects In Police Headquarters Have Implicated Saraki?
- TRAGEDY! Plane carrying 105 passengers crashes after take off
- Is Billionaire Otedola Running For Governor In Lagos?
- Okorocha Raises Alarm Over APC Chairman Oyegun
- Governor Plunges Into River While Taking Selfie On New Bridge
- Plane crash claims over 100 lives
- Important Things To Look For When Booking A Hotel Room
- Army dismisses Gen TY Danjuma’s claims on Herdsmen killings
- Multi-Billion Naira Debt: Govt. Takes Over Stella Oduah’s Assets
- "Only Formidable Opposition Will Defeat Buhari In 2019"
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Over 120 Nigerians kidnapped in six days
- Imo: APC jubilates as Aso Rock, Catholic Church abandon Okorocha
- Jack Wilshere reacts to World Cup squad omission
- Russia to ‘punish’ fans over racist Pogba, Dembele chants