Your bank account is one of the most important things to understand about your personal finances. Without a bank account, it is difficult to be paid a salary or to budget effectively.
You need to know the essentials of what makes your bank account work and tips and tricks to managing your accounts effectively, according to www.peachy.co.uk.
If you want to know more about how to make bank accounts work for you, here are the ultimate 10 things you need to know about bank accounts.
- You need to know if your bank account has fees attached to it
Many bank accounts for personal do not have any fees attached to them. This means you can operate them without being charged any extra money to have your account. However, changes in the financial environment mean that banks are looking for extra ways of making money from their customers. You should make sure that you read the small print of your bank account agreement to make sure it is free. If you are trying to build up your personal finances from a point where they were stressing you out, steer clear of bank accounts that have management fees.
- Does your account have a free overdraft?
When opening your account, you should ask if your account comes with an overdraft. An overdraft is an amount of money that the bank puts aside in case you want to go ‘over’ and essentially borrow money. An overdraft is not a loan and it is meant to act as a safety net in case you overspend. Overdrafts should be used carefully. If you have an overdraft and then you continue to go deep in it, you will find yourself in a situation that you cannot dig yourself out of. Avoid overdrafts if you are someone who likes to spend money frequently on shopping trips, for example, because you will be tempted to use the overdraft. Most accounts do not have a free overdraft – they have an overdraft that you have to pay extra fees for in case you need to use it.
- Look for savings accounts with good interest rates
One of the bank accounts you should open is a savings account. This can be one that you don’t touch or it can be a general savings account that you can access whenever you want. These savings accounts should always have interest, so make sure to find out how much interest you can get. For the best rates of interest, banks look for more money up front.
- Understand the charges for late direct debits
Direct debits revolutionised banking for people in the United Kingdom, because it made it even easier to bills. Paying bills can be a hassle and it can be even harder if you receive money, want to spend it but you know you need to pay your bills. Direct debit took all of the hassle out of the way. However, direct debits can still have late payments on them as well if your debit fails to clear on time. Don’t just assume that if your direct debit doesn’t go through that you will not fall behind. Always follow up and make sure that you know what is going on with your finances.
- Are standing orders allowed?
Standing orders are regular payments that you authorise that are not bill payments. For example, a standing order could be you sending N5000 per month to a savings account directly so that you don’t have to do it manually. There are current accounts that have standing order facilities to ensure that you can save the way that you want.
- Online banking
Most banks have online banking options to make it easier for you to access your account. The growth of mobile banking has made it even more important for you to access your money on your phone. You should always choose a bank that has an excellent mobile banking interface to ensure that you can manage your finances on the go. Online banking also gives you the option of transferring cash to and from your account, from as little to as much as you want.
- The growth of premier banking
Premier banking involves bank accounts that are targeted towards people who earn more money. These are not standard accounts that just have a simple overdraft. Your premier account will probably have extra charges but you may have extra benefits to having that account for example.
- Use one bank account for your daily expenses, use another for savings
You should not try and save in the same account that you draw your daily expenses. Doing this will make it harder for you to save money. You might feel like you have achieved a lot in saving money in your current account and then you end up undoing all of your hard work by taking the money out again.
- Bank accounts can be closed
Sometimes bank accounts can be closed by banks, with just a simple letter and no explanation at all. It’s important not to put all of your finances in just one bank for example for this reason because you never know what could happen.
- Deposit frequently
Deposit money in your bank accounts frequently to avoid them being made dormant. You should strive to deposit money into your accounts at least every two weeks or every month. Depositing money in your accounts also creates financial patterns of learning how to manage money correctly and this is especially important if you are trying to improve how you control your money.
Having a bank account is not as simple as just opening an account and using your debit card. You need to know how to manage your bank accounts effectively so that you don’t run into financial difficulty. You should be aware of how to manage your salary once it’s paid into your account and not to be tempted to spend every penny that you have. With good management, your bank account can be used to plan your monthly finances.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from PUNCH.
Contact: [email protected]
FOREX, BITCOIN and BINARY TRADING EXPERT:
We guarantee 37% Bi-weekly profit by professionally trading your forex, cryptocurrency,binary accounts for you.WhatsApp:+2348030797998.
click here for details.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Garba Shehu attacks lawmakers, civil servants, security agencies, PDP heckling Buhari govt.
- Replicate seamless political transition in Lagos nationwide, Ekwunife tells APC
- Beautiful Lady Celebrates After Graduating As A Private Pilot
- Policemen Disgrace Civil Defence Officer, Bundle Him Into Van
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle wed in style
- More Confusion In APC As Party's State Congresses Get Ugly
- Top Four Affordable Phones Anyone Can Buy
- Air Force launches rocket attacks against Boko Haram, kills many
- Saraki, Dogara, Kwankwaso, Others Get Secret Deal From PDP?
- 21 Ex-governors, deputies still earning double salaries as Senators, Ministers
- Kaduna LG Poll: APC Wins 14; PDP 4 chairs
- Police parades three fake currency dealer suspects
- Ogun Assembly passes resolution to establish dump sites across LGAs
- There ‘ll be religious war in Nigeria if.. – CAN
- We ‘ll continue to resist anti-grazing law – Herdsmen
- How To Help Build Your Marriage Even If Your Spouse Is Difficult
- Woman in custody fight carries 7-yr-old son, jumps from top of 25-story building
- Dogs named Harry, Maeghan have own royal wedding too
- Yahoo Boys’ New Tactics of Evading Arrest
- Woman lures boy to abduct little girl during church service
- Falana, Others React to Saraki's Face Off with Police Headquarters over "Killer Squad"
- Court strips indebted Sen. Oduah of all assets, funds in 14 businesses across Lagos, Abuja
- Self-Defence Call: What CSOs, NHRC, military officers, others write in panel report on Danjuma allegation
- Nigeria appointed chair of Anti-Corruption Agencies in Commonwealth Africa
- Imo: Okorocha reveals why Oyegun takes side with ememies to rock APC
- Murder Suspects In Police Headquarters Have Implicated Saraki?
- TRAGEDY! Plane carrying 105 passengers crashes after take off
- Is Billionaire Otedola Running For Governor In Lagos?
- Okorocha Raises Alarm Over APC Chairman Oyegun
- Governor Plunges Into River While Taking Selfie On New Bridge
- Plane crash claims over 100 lives
- Important Things To Look For When Booking A Hotel Room
- Army dismisses Gen TY Danjuma’s claims on Herdsmen killings
- Multi-Billion Naira Debt: Govt. Takes Over Stella Oduah’s Assets
- "Only Formidable Opposition Will Defeat Buhari In 2019"
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Over 120 Nigerians kidnapped in six days
- Imo: APC jubilates as Aso Rock, Catholic Church abandon Okorocha
- Jack Wilshere reacts to World Cup squad omission
- Russia to ‘punish’ fans over racist Pogba, Dembele chants