A 23-year-old graduate of the Ebonyi State University, Adeyinka Adelekan, will not be able to commence her National Youth Service Corps this month as planned after a sport utility vehicle knocked her down around Skiddo bus stop, Ajah, Lagos State.
Adelekan, who studied Geology at the university, reportedly suffered fractures in his legs and brain injuries as a result of the crash.
She was said to have been admitted to the Lagos University Teaching Hospital, Idi Araba, and had yet to come out of a coma since December 19, 2017, when the accident happened.
PUNCH Metro learnt that Adelekan was going to buy drinks for herself and her elder sister around 4pm on that day.
She was reportedly standing on the median, waiting to cross to the other side of the road, when the SUV – a Toyota RAV 4 – driven by one Saviour Henry, 26, allegedly veered towards the median and knocked her down.
It was gathered that Henry lost control of the vehicle while trying to prevent a Toyota Highlander, driven by one Oluwatobiloba Olorunosebi, 19, from hitting his SUV from behind.
The drivers were arrested by the police from the Langbasa division, while Adelekan was rushed to a private hospital for treatment.
She was subsequently referred to St Nicholas Hospital, Lagos Island, where she underwent a brain surgery and was placed in the Intensive Care Unit for over two months.
Our correspondent learnt that the victim was taken to LUTH when there was no improvement in her condition despite the family spending millions of naira.
The suspects, according to the police, drove without valid driving licences and were arraigned on three counts bordering on reckless driving before an Igbosere Magistrate’s Court.
The charges read in part, “That you, Oluwatobiloba Olorunosebi and Saviour Henry, on December 19, 2017, at 4.30pm at Skido bus stop, along Pump & S, Eti Osa, Lagos, in the Lagos Magisterial District, being the drivers of a Toyota Highlander with the number plate, AKD 922 EA and a Toyota RAV 4, with the number plate, KJA 582 BW, did drive the said vehicles dangerously on the highway and cause serious injuries to one Miss Adeyinka Adelekan, while the pedestrian was walking, thereby committing an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 18 of the Road Traffic Act Law of Lagos State, Nigeria, 2012.
“That you, Oluwatobiloba Olorunosebi and Saviour Henry, on the same date, time and place, in the aforesaid magisterial district, did drive the said vehicles without valid driving licences, thereby committing an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 7 (1) of the Road Traffic Act Law of Lagos State of Nigeria, 2012.”
The defendants pleaded not guilty to the charges and were granted bail by the presiding magistrate, Mrs. O. Oshin, in the sum of N250,000 with one surety each in like sum.
It was gathered that there were moves by the parties to explore settlement while the case was adjourned till June 19, 2018.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from PUNCH.
Contact: [email protected]
FOREX, BITCOIN and BINARY TRADING EXPERT:
We guarantee 37% Bi-weekly profit by professionally trading your forex, cryptocurrency,binary accounts for you.WhatsApp:+2348030797998.
click here for details.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Garba Shehu attacks lawmakers, civil servants, security agencies, PDP heckling Buhari govt.
- Replicate seamless political transition in Lagos nationwide, Ekwunife tells APC
- Beautiful Lady Celebrates After Graduating As A Private Pilot
- Policemen Disgrace Civil Defence Officer, Bundle Him Into Van
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle wed in style
- More Confusion In APC As Party's State Congresses Get Ugly
- Top Four Affordable Phones Anyone Can Buy
- Air Force launches rocket attacks against Boko Haram, kills many
- Saraki, Dogara, Kwankwaso, Others Get Secret Deal From PDP?
- 21 Ex-governors, deputies still earning double salaries as Senators, Ministers
- Kaduna LG Poll: APC Wins 14; PDP 4 chairs
- Police parades three fake currency dealer suspects
- Ogun Assembly passes resolution to establish dump sites across LGAs
- There ‘ll be religious war in Nigeria if.. – CAN
- We ‘ll continue to resist anti-grazing law – Herdsmen
- How To Help Build Your Marriage Even If Your Spouse Is Difficult
- Woman in custody fight carries 7-yr-old son, jumps from top of 25-story building
- Dogs named Harry, Maeghan have own royal wedding too
- Yahoo Boys’ New Tactics of Evading Arrest
- Woman lures boy to abduct little girl during church service
- Falana, Others React to Saraki's Face Off with Police Headquarters over "Killer Squad"
- Court strips indebted Sen. Oduah of all assets, funds in 14 businesses across Lagos, Abuja
- Self-Defence Call: What CSOs, NHRC, military officers, others write in panel report on Danjuma allegation
- Nigeria appointed chair of Anti-Corruption Agencies in Commonwealth Africa
- Imo: Okorocha reveals why Oyegun takes side with ememies to rock APC
- Murder Suspects In Police Headquarters Have Implicated Saraki?
- TRAGEDY! Plane carrying 105 passengers crashes after take off
- Is Billionaire Otedola Running For Governor In Lagos?
- Okorocha Raises Alarm Over APC Chairman Oyegun
- Governor Plunges Into River While Taking Selfie On New Bridge
- Plane crash claims over 100 lives
- Important Things To Look For When Booking A Hotel Room
- Army dismisses Gen TY Danjuma’s claims on Herdsmen killings
- Multi-Billion Naira Debt: Govt. Takes Over Stella Oduah’s Assets
- "Only Formidable Opposition Will Defeat Buhari In 2019"
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Over 120 Nigerians kidnapped in six days
- Imo: APC jubilates as Aso Rock, Catholic Church abandon Okorocha
- Jack Wilshere reacts to World Cup squad omission
- Russia to ‘punish’ fans over racist Pogba, Dembele chants