A 23-year-old graduate of the Ebonyi State University, Adeyinka Adelekan, will not be able to commence her National Youth Service Corps this month as planned after a sport utility vehicle knocked her down around Skiddo bus stop, Ajah, Lagos State.
Adelekan, who studied Geology at the university, reportedly suffered fractures in his legs and brain injuries as a result of the crash.
She was said to have been admitted to the Lagos University Teaching Hospital, Idi Araba, and had yet to come out of a coma since December 19, 2017, when the accident happened.
PUNCH Metro learnt that Adelekan was going to buy drinks for herself and her elder sister around 4pm on that day.
She was reportedly standing on the median, waiting to cross to the other side of the road, when the SUV – a Toyota RAV 4 – driven by one Saviour Henry, 26, allegedly veered towards the median and knocked her down.
It was gathered that Henry lost control of the vehicle while trying to prevent a Toyota Highlander, driven by one Oluwatobiloba Olorunosebi, 19, from hitting his SUV from behind.
The drivers were arrested by the police from the Langbasa division, while Adelekan was rushed to a private hospital for treatment.
She was subsequently referred to St Nicholas Hospital, Lagos Island, where she underwent a brain surgery and was placed in the Intensive Care Unit for over two months.
Our correspondent learnt that the victim was taken to LUTH when there was no improvement in her condition despite the family spending millions of naira.
The suspects, according to the police, drove without valid driving licences and were arraigned on three counts bordering on reckless driving before an Igbosere Magistrate’s Court.
The charges read in part, “That you, Oluwatobiloba Olorunosebi and Saviour Henry, on December 19, 2017, at 4.30pm at Skido bus stop, along Pump & S, Eti Osa, Lagos, in the Lagos Magisterial District, being the drivers of a Toyota Highlander with the number plate, AKD 922 EA and a Toyota RAV 4, with the number plate, KJA 582 BW, did drive the said vehicles dangerously on the highway and cause serious injuries to one Miss Adeyinka Adelekan, while the pedestrian was walking, thereby committing an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 18 of the Road Traffic Act Law of Lagos State, Nigeria, 2012.
“That you, Oluwatobiloba Olorunosebi and Saviour Henry, on the same date, time and place, in the aforesaid magisterial district, did drive the said vehicles without valid driving licences, thereby committing an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 7 (1) of the Road Traffic Act Law of Lagos State of Nigeria, 2012.”
The defendants pleaded not guilty to the charges and were granted bail by the presiding magistrate, Mrs. O. Oshin, in the sum of N250,000 with one surety each in like sum.
It was gathered that there were moves by the parties to explore settlement while the case was adjourned till June 19, 2018.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from PUNCH.
Contact: [email protected]
FOREX, BITCOIN and BINARY TRADING EXPERT:
We guarantee 37% Bi-weekly profit by professionally trading your forex, cryptocurrency,binary accounts for you.WhatsApp:+2348030797998.
click here for details.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Nigeria’s democracy under threat, says Moghalu
- CBN floods economy with lower Naira denominations
- Saraki declares for 2019
- Israeli PM in corruption scandal
- Lagos State Govt denies privatising water supply
- Sales of pre-registered SIM cards boom despite fines
- I promise better welfare ahead of NWPL resumption –Hon. Odunlade
- Falconets eliminated from World Cup
- FIFA rejects Dalung’s ministerial visit offer
- Dollar depreciates against Naira at parallel market
- INEC Releases 2019 General Elections Notice In Lagos
- I'm An Experienced Job Creator - Atiku
- GEJ To Nigerians: Don't Despair In The Face Of Persecution
- PHOTOS: Bayelsa International Airport Almost Ready
- Corporate Keke Driver Customizes His Keke With Cups Of Sweets For Passengers
- US-based Nigerian Man Stabbed To Death By His Lover's Ex
- Nigeria Police To Be Decentralized
- Man Sentenced To Death For Killing Pregnant Wife Over N1000
- Young Robbers Terrorizing Delta Nabbed By Security Operatives
- Photo Of Saraki and His Beautiful Daughters
- Meet Nigeria's Strongest Man As He Shares Secret Of His Success
- Lady Makes Shocking Revelations: My abductors butchered people for rituals
- Many Sleeping At INEC Office In Lagos Just To Get PVC
- Ayefele fans, workers protest planned demolition of radio station
- Faces Of Suspected Homos*xuals Arrested In Hotel Room
- Deadlock In National Assembly Over N189bn Budget For INEC
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Best Destinations For Your First International Trip
- Woman Lies In The Middle Of The Road To Protest Non-Payment Of 13 Months Salary
- Bank Staff Arrested For Fraud On His Wedding Day In Lagos
- Married Woman Committing Adultery Dies After S*x
- Yinka Ayefele Sues Oyo Government Over Building Demolition
- Akpabio Runs To Court, Stops Saraki From Declaring Seat Vacant
- Little Man Rocks NYSC Kit In Style
- New Minimum Wage: We Weren't Elected Just To Pay Salaries - Governors
- Protest At Police Headquarters Abuja Over Detention of Premium Times Journalist
- Soldiers Kill Notorious Bandit, Sani Danbuzuwa During Shoot Out
- Security vote: Governors challenge Buhari, EFCC
- Here is how much FG recovered from whistle blowers
- Philipp Lahm heads Germany bid to host Euro 2024 tournament