A 23-year-old graduate of the Ebonyi State University, Adeyinka Adelekan, will not be able to commence her National Youth Service Corps this month as planned after a sport utility vehicle knocked her down around Skiddo bus stop, Ajah, Lagos State.
Adelekan, who studied Geology at the university, reportedly suffered fractures in his legs and brain injuries as a result of the crash.
She was said to have been admitted to the Lagos University Teaching Hospital, Idi Araba, and had yet to come out of a coma since December 19, 2017, when the accident happened.
PUNCH Metro learnt that Adelekan was going to buy drinks for herself and her elder sister around 4pm on that day.
She was reportedly standing on the median, waiting to cross to the other side of the road, when the SUV – a Toyota RAV 4 – driven by one Saviour Henry, 26, allegedly veered towards the median and knocked her down.
It was gathered that Henry lost control of the vehicle while trying to prevent a Toyota Highlander, driven by one Oluwatobiloba Olorunosebi, 19, from hitting his SUV from behind.
The drivers were arrested by the police from the Langbasa division, while Adelekan was rushed to a private hospital for treatment.
She was subsequently referred to St Nicholas Hospital, Lagos Island, where she underwent a brain surgery and was placed in the Intensive Care Unit for over two months.
Our correspondent learnt that the victim was taken to LUTH when there was no improvement in her condition despite the family spending millions of naira.
The suspects, according to the police, drove without valid driving licences and were arraigned on three counts bordering on reckless driving before an Igbosere Magistrate’s Court.
The charges read in part, “That you, Oluwatobiloba Olorunosebi and Saviour Henry, on December 19, 2017, at 4.30pm at Skido bus stop, along Pump & S, Eti Osa, Lagos, in the Lagos Magisterial District, being the drivers of a Toyota Highlander with the number plate, AKD 922 EA and a Toyota RAV 4, with the number plate, KJA 582 BW, did drive the said vehicles dangerously on the highway and cause serious injuries to one Miss Adeyinka Adelekan, while the pedestrian was walking, thereby committing an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 18 of the Road Traffic Act Law of Lagos State, Nigeria, 2012.
“That you, Oluwatobiloba Olorunosebi and Saviour Henry, on the same date, time and place, in the aforesaid magisterial district, did drive the said vehicles without valid driving licences, thereby committing an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 7 (1) of the Road Traffic Act Law of Lagos State of Nigeria, 2012.”
The defendants pleaded not guilty to the charges and were granted bail by the presiding magistrate, Mrs. O. Oshin, in the sum of N250,000 with one surety each in like sum.
It was gathered that there were moves by the parties to explore settlement while the case was adjourned till June 19, 2018.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from PUNCH.
Contact: [email protected]
FOREX, BITCOIN and BINARY TRADING EXPERT:
We guarantee 37% Bi-weekly profit by professionally trading your forex, cryptocurrency,binary accounts for you.WhatsApp:+2348030797998.
click here for details.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Story Of Woman Who Suffered 35 Miscarriages In 7 Years
- Atiku Meets Jonathan To Strategize For 2019 Election (Photos)
- Married Woman Bites Off Landlord's Lips (Photo)
- “Fayose to be detained indefinitely”
- Ekiti State ready to hijack Gold Cup Tourney from Benue State
- Akinwunmi encourage Super Eagles in Tunisia
- Makoko: Coalition of Civil Society Organizations task Ambode on police invasion, issues 21 days ultimatum
- NCC to sanction illegal auto tracking solutions providers
- Your candidacy not a meal ticket, Obasa counsels colleagues
- Shittu battles NYSC as Buhari waits for minister’s resignation
- Customs generates over N1b in 2 months
- Exam malpractice: Diarrhea prevents Adeleke from showing up in court; judge orders IGP to ensure arraignment
- IG of Police opposes demotion of officers by PSC Chairman
- 2019: Tinubu battles Amosun to regain South West leadership
- Pretty Lady Grabs Her Man Who Tries To Run In Pre-Wedding Photoshoot
- NERC to put limits on estimated billings
- Buhari explains why he bans 50 high-profile Nigerians
- You’re too arrogant, First Lady tells President
- Kalu speaks on his goal for Super Eagles
- Ocean Boys crown Champions Bayelsa Football League
- Leaked Bribe Videos: Impeachment Looms As Kano Assembly Begins Probe Of Governor
- IGP Orders Arrest Of Policemen Over Murder Of Abuja Lady
- Kukah: How I Convinced Obasanjo To End Feud With Atiku
- Shittu Drags APC To Court For Disqualifying Him Over NYSC
- Minister allays fear over Nigeria’s rising debt portfolio
- Travel ban, not political weapon against opposition- Presidency
- Sex & Masturbation: Secret Struggle Of Most Men & Women
- Osun United crash Rovers FC 1-0 at NNL
- Ambode holds press conference to herald 2019 race
- See How Worshipers Held Their Sunday Service After Church Got Submerged By Flood (Photos)
- Photos Of GEJ, His Daughter, Faith, Her Husband & Grandkids
- Ekiti boiling with emotion as Fayose faces EFCC October 15
- Amuwo Odofin constituents cry out over alleged stolen mandate, task Tinubu
- INEC Under Pressure To Return "Buhari's Sister" Amina Zakari To Head Operations?
- Pretty Lady, Anita Shot Dead In Front Of Her House In Abuja
- Meet The Man Behind Gov Ganduje's Leaked $5m Bribery Clip
- Buhari’ll Win South-East Despite Obi’s Nomination – Okorocha's Son-in-Law
- Leaked Video Of Governor 'Receiving Bribe': Kano Govt. Reacts
- Suspected Robber Arrested 5 Days After Release From Prison
- Falana, Others To Buhari: Withdraw That Travel Ban Order